Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment People 
Thread started 17 Jul 2016 (Sunday) 00:12
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

First Maternity Shoot

atsilverstein
Goldmember
1,254 posts
Gallery: 46 photos
Joined Mar 2015

Jul 17, 2016 00:12 |  #1

My neighbor invited me to a baby shower today she was hosting, which turned into asking me to do a maternity shoot..

Since I haven't done any maternity yet I thought it'd be a great opportunity to see if I could get some good shots to expand my portfolio. Here are a couple. Thoughts welcomed.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

HOSTED PHOTO

It matters not how strait the gate, How charged with punishments the scroll. I am the master of my fate: I am the captain of my soul.
- William Ernest Henley

sponsored links
atsilverstein
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,254 posts
Joined Mar 2015

Jul 17, 2016 00:15 |  #2

3 and 4

I noticed her legs are kind of blotchy but I don't know how to fix it.

HOSTED PHOTO

HOSTED PHOTO

It matters not how strait the gate, How charged with punishments the scroll. I am the master of my fate: I am the captain of my soul.
- William Ernest Henley

atsilverstein
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,254 posts
Joined Mar 2015

Jul 17, 2016 00:17 |  #3

5 and 6

HOSTED PHOTO

HOSTED PHOTO

- William Ernest Henley

atsilverstein
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,254 posts
Joined Mar 2015
Post edited over 2 years ago by atsilverstein. (3 edits in all)

Jul 17, 2016 00:18 |  #4

Last two, thanks for looking.

HOSTED PHOTO

HOSTED PHOTO

- William Ernest Henley

atsilverstein
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,254 posts
Joined Mar 2015

Jul 17, 2016 11:12 |  #5

I figured out how to even out the skin tones on her legs:

HOSTED PHOTO

- William Ernest Henley

Capn ­ Jack
Goldmember
2,256 posts
Gallery: 989 photos
Joined Mar 2010

Jul 17, 2016 12:00 |  #6

For something unplanned, it came out good. I didn't know what was going on with the marker (I guessed he was drawing a face) until the next image. Maybe use a marker image from later in the story, so one knows what he was drawing?

Other than that, I have nothing of value to add. Good work! I'm glad you figured our how to clean up her legs without "overcooking" it.

MalVeauX
"Looks rough and well used"
13,002 posts
Gallery: 1460 photos
Best ofs: 4
Joined Feb 2013

Jul 17, 2016 12:25 |  #7

I think #6, #7 & #8 are the good ones. They show emotion, joy and family.

The environment is not very pleasing to me, so something carry your eyes to the people works better, as mentioned, family showing emotion and stuff works best there.

The one with the mother posed by herself, just standing at attention and looking away, is probably the weakest of the bunch. I would stick to the crops with her interacting with the father.

Very best,

My Flickr (external link) :: My Astrobin (external link)

atsilverstein
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,254 posts
Joined Mar 2015

Jul 17, 2016 13:26 |  #8

Hmm.. no more favors I think. The father just posted some of them on FB (I submitted around 30) and every single one has a horrible filter and awkward crop. I've spent a lot of time meticulously editing them for my work to be messed up.

Lesson learned. Paying clients and a contract going forward.

- William Ernest Henley

PineBomb
I have many notable flaws
2,470 posts
Gallery: 92 photos
Joined Apr 2014

Jul 17, 2016 13:37 |  #9

atsilverstein wrote in post #18069635 (external link)
Hmm.. no more favors I think. The father just posted some of them on FB (I submitted around 30) and every single one has a horrible filter and awkward crop. I've spent a lot of time meticulously editing them for my work to be messed up.

Unfortunately, contracts won't stop all of your clients from injecting their own creative flourishes. :-(

I agree with Mal that the background environment isn't working very well, but I understand the shoot was unplanned. There's something about foliage that just doesn't always render well for portraits IMO. Take that with a grain of salt, because I may have an exaggerated aversion to it. The b&w shot is my favorite because it looks like a natural candid moment, the background underexposure minimizes the aforementioned environmental issue, and the processing in general is more pleasing to my eye.

-Matt
Website (external link) | flickr (external link) | instagram (external link) | street portrait project on instagram (external link)

Left ­ Handed ­ Brisket
That's my line!
9,246 posts
Gallery: 12 photos
Joined Jun 2011

Jul 17, 2016 13:44 |  #10

go ahead and get over the fact that people will do stupid things with your photos. If you really want to limit this problem, only sell prints.

PSA: The above post may contain sarcasm, reply at your own risk | Not in gear database: Auto Sears 50mm 2.0 / 3x CL-360, Nikon SB-28, SunPak auto 322 D, Minolta 20

MalVeauX
"Looks rough and well used"
13,002 posts
Gallery: 1460 photos
Best ofs: 4
Joined Feb 2013

Jul 17, 2016 13:51 |  #11

This happens to $3k wedding photos. Don't sweat it. Everyone, including paying clients even with contracts, will do this. Consider it free advertisement. If you restrict sharing/editing, few will respect it, and it will likely earn you less clients in the future--and they will still share/edit anyways. It would cost you more in legal fees to stop someone. After they pay, just ignore what they do with it after that, or you will literally lose your mind. Your work is a product that you're selling to someone. Apple doesn't come to your house to see what you're doing with their computer they sold you, right? Just a metaphor...

Very best,

My Flickr (external link) :: My Astrobin (external link)

atsilverstein
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,254 posts
Joined Mar 2015

Jul 17, 2016 14:21 |  #12

MalVeauX wrote in post #18069651 (external link)
This happens to $3k wedding photos. Don't sweat it. Everyone, including paying clients even with contracts, will do this. Consider it free advertisement. If you restrict sharing/editing, few will respect it, and it will likely earn you less clients in the future--and they will still share/edit anyways. It would cost you more in legal fees to stop someone. After they pay, just ignore what they do with it after that, or you will literally lose your mind. Your work is a product that you're selling to someone. Apple doesn't come to your house to see what you're doing with their computer they sold you, right? Just a metaphor...

Very best,

That's not a good analogy.. computers are built for individual customization and you also agree to for example, with Microsoft not to mess with the software. Just saying.

But I get your point.

- William Ernest Henley

bob_r
Goldmember
2,425 posts
Gallery: 23 photos
Joined Aug 2006
Post edited over 2 years ago by bob_r.

Jul 17, 2016 20:37 |  #13

Posing the subjects is the photographer's responsibility and in images 1, 2 and 5, your subjects could really have used some direction. Also, since I don't see any hard shadows, you should have told him to lose the sun glasses. When he's not wearing them, he's carrying them and they're a distraction either way.

MalVeaux mentioned that the environment was not pleasing to him and I think it's not so much the environment, but that it should have been blurred more. Shallow DOF is not just dependent upon a wide aperture, but focal length and distance also must be considered. Not sure how much working room you had, but just setting your aperture to f/2 will not guarantee blurred backgrounds.

Sorry to hear about your unscrupulous client.

Canon 7D, 5D, 35L, 50 f/1.4, 85 f/1.8, 135L, 200L, 10-22, 17-55, 70-300, 100-400L, 500D, 580EX(2).
Sigma 150 macro, 1.4X, 2X, Quantaray 2X, Kenko closeup tubes, Yongnuo YN685(3), Yongnuo YN-622C-TX. Lots of studio stuff.
** Image Editing OK **

atsilverstein
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,254 posts
Joined Mar 2015

Jul 17, 2016 21:51 |  #14

Thanks for the feedback all. I'm definitely going to think about how to improve my shooting. Fortunately this was done as a favor since I was put on the spot, and so I got a new category to add to my portfolio and a good learning experience while not on a paying client's expense.

- William Ernest Henley

cubatahavana
I still don't see it
1,866 posts
Gallery: 244 photos
Joined Jan 2010

Jul 22, 2016 08:22 |  #15

My favourites are the one with the marker and the following one. They show emotion and they are nice. I agree with the sunglasses. Having said that, the first time you do or shoot something, it is more of a learning experience than anything else. It is great experience and I am sure that they were happy with the photos. I know I would. About the editing aspect, I think that that is unavoidable this day and age, with so many apps. What are you going to do? even if you have a contract, you'd lose time and money trying to implement it.

My Flickr (external link)
My website (external link)
My instagram (external link)

sponsored links

3,228 views & 3 likes for this thread
First Maternity Shoot
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment People 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.