Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Critique Corner 
Thread started 21 Jul 2016 (Thursday) 22:29
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Candid in the back yard

atsilverstein
Goldmember
1,254 posts
Gallery: 46 photos
Joined Mar 2015

Jul 21, 2016 22:29 |  #1

I just wanted to get some feedback on this.. it's a little more stylized than how I normally edit. Thanks.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

It matters not how strait the gate, How charged with punishments the scroll. I am the master of my fate: I am the captain of my soul.
- William Ernest Henley

sponsored links
mannetti21
Goldmember
3,233 posts
Gallery: 137 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Sep 2010

Jul 21, 2016 23:09 |  #2

I like it for what it is, a great casual candid shot. The bokeh in the top right corner is a little strange, but that obviously isn't in your control. I'm guessing you lifted the black levels in the Tone Curve ...I tend do that occasionally as well to get that slight washed-out, "yester-year" effect. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. In this case, I like it.

---------------
5D4, 5D3, Sony ZV-1, Panasonic Lumix FX7, Nikon L35AF, Minolta SRT-102
35Art, 50 f1.8 STM, EF 85 f1.8, EF 16-35L f4, EF 100-400L II
My Buyer/Seller Feedback

JonKline
198 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Sep 2013

Jul 21, 2016 23:31 |  #3

I like it! To my eye, the skintones are a touch yellow, but my monitor isn't as accurate as I'd like.
Are you familiar with the Mastin presets? They're useful for a printed-from-film look without as much work.

Cinematographer Chicago (external link) | Milwaukee camera, lighting & grip (external link)
Facebook (external link) | Twitter (external link) | Sony FS7 (external link)

rrblint
Listen! .... do you smell something?
22,699 posts
Gallery: 84 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined May 2012

Jul 21, 2016 23:31 |  #4

The boys arms look very strange.

Mark

Martin ­ Dixon
Slit-scan project master
1,864 posts
Gallery: 59 photos
Joined Sep 2009

Jul 22, 2016 04:52 |  #5

A good shot in difficult light.

Running in with a reflector would have helped, but then the moment would have been lost. The Bokeh is a bit odd.

flickr (external link) Editing OK (external link) www.slitcam.com (free slit-scan utility) (external link)

atsilverstein
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,254 posts
Joined Mar 2015

Jul 22, 2016 05:25 |  #6

rrblint wrote in post #18074086 (external link)
The boys arms look very strange.

It's hyper-flexed from leaning on it.. most people's arms do this.

It matters not how strait the gate, How charged with punishments the scroll. I am the master of my fate: I am the captain of my soul.
- William Ernest Henley

atsilverstein
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,254 posts
Joined Mar 2015

Jul 22, 2016 05:47 |  #7

Martin Dixon wrote in post #18074214 (external link)
A good shot in difficult light.

Running in with a reflector would have helped, but then the moment would have been lost. The Bokeh is a bit odd.

There's a chain link fence back there, and it looks like the light is reflecting off of it.. maybe that's what you're referring to.

- William Ernest Henley

chauncey
Cream of the Crop
9,696 posts
Joined Jun 2007

Jul 22, 2016 07:32 |  #8

Hindsight being what it is...ya might have chosen a better place in the yard.

The things you do for yourself die with you, the things you do for others live forever.
A man's worth should be judged, not when he basks in the sun, but how he faces the storm.

My stuff...http://1x.com/member/c​hauncey43 (external link)

atsilverstein
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,254 posts
Joined Mar 2015

Jul 22, 2016 07:36 |  #9

chauncey wrote in post #18074290 (external link)
Hindsight being what it is...ya might have chosen a better place in the yard.

LOL, do you have kids?

There's a reason why this is called a candid and not a formal shoot.

- William Ernest Henley

chauncey
Cream of the Crop
9,696 posts
Joined Jun 2007

Jul 22, 2016 10:22 |  #10

Aah...nine thru the years... :lol:

The things you do for yourself die with you, the things you do for others live forever.
A man's worth should be judged, not when he basks in the sun, but how he faces the storm.

Capn ­ Jack
Cream of the Crop
5,802 posts
Gallery: 2285 photos
Joined Mar 2010

Jul 22, 2016 18:23 |  #11

Very nice. The boy's arm looks bent funny at the elbow, but it is a candid as you noted. It is what it is.

What do I see in the image? Cute children intent on looking at something (playing with something?) they found in the grass.

palad1n
Goldmember
1,834 posts
Gallery: 13 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Jun 2013

Jul 25, 2016 10:20 as a reply to  @ atsilverstein's post |  #12

Calm down....Sometimes I feel that some people put their photos in critique corner and only expects positive reactions. People around are here to help you, please don´t ask them for pure compliments, be happy that people with trained eyes are giving you constructive critique for free.

It doesn´t matter if it´s candid shot and not formal shooting, Same rules apply.... During formal shoot, you can tweak lot of things, ask people to move around to improve final photo, candid shoot are different - either your shot will be good or even perfect as it is or you can wait for ideal conditions and try capture those moments as many times as you want till it´s perfect, but you have to deal with lot of bad photos to get one perfect. It´s about luck as well.

It doesn´t matter if the arm bending is normal or not in real life, but it doesn´t look good on this photo... Remember only final results matter.

Website (online) : www.lukaskrasa.com (external link)
Flickr : http://www.flickr.com/​photos/105393908@N03/ (external link)
Facebook page: https://www.facebook.c​om/lukaskrasaphoto/ (external link)
Instagram: https://instagram.com/​lukaskrasacom (external link)
Lukas

chauncey
Cream of the Crop
9,696 posts
Joined Jun 2007

Jul 25, 2016 12:57 |  #13

There's a reason why this is called a candid and not a formal shoot.

You are a stellar photographer...there is no reason not to take a stellar candid.

Qbx
Goldmember
3,962 posts
Gallery: 49 photos
Joined Dec 2010

Aug 03, 2016 10:58 |  #14

It's a nice candid. The boy's arm easily straightens out using Liquify in Photoshop. You might also work to fill the blown out leg with just a little skin tone and darken the weird bokeh in the u/rt.

-- Image Editing OK --

sponsored links

4,196 views & 8 likes for this thread
Candid in the back yard
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Critique Corner 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.