Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
Thread started 06 Dec 2015 (Sunday) 09:51
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

GODOX AD600 Witstro

mmmfotografie
hanging up-side-down in a cave
2,114 posts
Joined Jul 2013

Jul 22, 2016 12:08 as a reply to  @ post 18074443 |  #1066

However TTL is great when having to work in a dynamic situation like weddings or parties also sometimes when it is cloudy and the light changes fast from f8 to f16 and back.
I could not keep up with my XT32 and just waited each time till the sun showed itself by coming out from behind of the cloud. The model could watch back the made pictures on the tablet so she did not get bored.;-)a

sponsored links
BigIronCruiser
167 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Mar 2013

Jul 22, 2016 12:34 |  #1067

abbadon31 wrote in post #18074443 (external link)
I have both TTL and Manual 600s

I can get usable and I said usable images from TTL. I find if I'm going to put my camera in manual mode to get the exposure and the look I want. Why in the hell would do all that work and put the strobe in TTL and let the strobe tell me how much light it thinks I need. I know what I want it to look like and I set my strobe to match how much light I want it to be. I know my light will stay consistent no matter if I'm shooting a black dress or a white dress. :-);-)a:-P:lol: :p:-D I guess I should just threw the camera in P mode and strobe in TTL and let the camera and flash tell me how my images should look like a point and shoot camera. -?:cry::rolleyes::twisted::-(

Program mode is a viable option for some folks....just ask Joe Buissink. Probably has calloused fingers from spinning the EC dial :p

NewCreation
Goldmember
3,214 posts
Gallery: 47 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Jan 2013

Jul 22, 2016 12:42 |  #1068

BigIronCruiser wrote in post #18074537 (external link)
Program mode is a viable option for some folks....just ask Joe Buissink. Probably has calloused fingers from spinning the EC dial :p

I'd get calloused fingers if I could charge what he does. :)

My name is Brenda ~Saved by grace, walking by faith
http://brendahoffmanph​otography.com (external link)
Facebook (external link)

dmward
Cream of the Crop
9,080 posts
Gallery: 29 photos
Joined Jun 2009

Jul 22, 2016 13:10 |  #1069

NewCreation wrote in post #18074468 (external link)
Meh...I use both Manual and TTL. It completely depends on the situation. I can get consistent images from both.

Exactly. Manual and TTL exposure setting for a strobe is just two different ways to get to the same place Brenda.
When I'm shooting models in situations similar to Scott's I manually set the strobe power via the X1T. If I'm at an event or similar situation where there is a constantly varying relationship between subject and light locations TTL works well.

When I think back to my early days as a commercial photographer the choice between remote manual power adjustment or TTL metering is so far ahead. Shutters were 1EV steps and could vary more than 1/2 EV from camera to camera. We had conversion factors for each camera taped to each light meter just trying to keep it within 1/2EV.

Compared to that the situation today is significantly more reliable, even using TTL for studio shooting. Which I am not advocating. :lol:

David | Sharing my Insights, Knowledge & Experience (external link) | dmwfotos website (external link)

NewCreation
Goldmember
3,214 posts
Gallery: 47 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Jan 2013

Jul 22, 2016 13:46 |  #1070

dmward wrote in post #18074565 (external link)
Exactly. Manual and TTL exposure setting for a strobe is just two different ways to get to the same place Brenda.
When I'm shooting models in situations similar to Scott's I manually set the strobe power via the X1T. If I'm at an event or similar situation where there is a constantly varying relationship between subject and light locations TTL works well.

When I think back to my early days as a commercial photographer the choice between remote manual power adjustment or TTL metering is so far ahead. Shutters were 1EV steps and could vary more than 1/2 EV from camera to camera. We had conversion factors for each camera taped to each light meter just trying to keep it within 1/2EV.

Compared to that the situation today is significantly more reliable, even using TTL for studio shooting. Which I am not advocating. :lol:

I doubt I would have survived with what you described. I'm pretty impatient. lol

I use TTL pretty much as you describe...when those situations where the light is changing quickly. For me, that is during wedding portraits that are outside. If inside, sure I'll be manual all day. But outside with clouds coming and going, I'm not breaking the flow of my posing and interactions to stop and reset every time a cloud goes over. During those times, I'm working EC and FEC to my taste and then rolling with it. It's more important to me to save the "flow" of the posing and interaction with clients. This image, for instance was a split second after I asked them to stand next to each other with him behind her. When dealing with average folks who know nothing about posing and won't likely capture the same essence if asked to repeat it, I prefer knowing that ttl will get me close even if a cloud showed up.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

My name is Brenda ~Saved by grace, walking by faith
http://brendahoffmanph​otography.com (external link)
Facebook (external link)

Masa ­ Yume
36 posts
Joined Jun 2012

Jul 22, 2016 20:39 as a reply to  @ post 18064008 |  #1071

I think one of the major challenges of the Adorama Nomenclature is that it doesn't seem to have a defined pattern.

For example, let's look at the Sony naming

Flashpoint Zoom R2 Manual Flash With Integrated R2 Radio Transceiver For Sony

You would think that means the nomenclature is

<Brand> <Model> <Radio Type> <TTL or Manual> <Radio Type> <Compatibility>

But then you compare it to another model
Flashpoint Zoom TTL R2 Flash With Integrated R2 Radio Transceiver - Sony

And now it's
<Brand> <Model> <TTL or Manual> <Radio Type> <Radio Type> <Compatibility>

Or
Flashpoint Zoom Li-on R2 TTL On-Camera Flash Speedlight For Sony
<Brand> <Model> <Battery Type> <Radio Type> <TTL or Manual> <Description> <Compatibility>

So it's fairly arbitrary where they put certain terms. When you add the fact that some of the nomenclature has missing terms (like battery type) and duplicated terms (R2 used twice in description, once or not at all), it can be fairly challenging even telling what an individual flash can or cannot do.

As suggested elsewhere, it would be very helpful to define families of the flashes without having to spell out every single feature in the product name - Zoom Advanced for LION+TTL+R2, Zoom Silver for AAA+TTL+R2, Zoom Basics for AAA+Manual

Ulysses01
403 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Jul 2013

Jul 23, 2016 02:47 |  #1072

mmmfotografie wrote in post #18074517 (external link)
However TTL is great when having to work in a dynamic situation like weddings or parties also sometimes when it is cloudy and the light changes fast from f8 to f16 and back.

I know what you mean. It can definitely be "easier." But if I'm being honest, I still prefer manual in those situations even though there are times that I settle for THE "easier" usability of TTL (for example with my CL-360X units).

Angmo
looks like I picked a bad week to give up halucinagens
1,070 posts
Gallery: 25 photos
Joined Dec 2015
Post edited over 2 years ago by Angmo.

Jul 23, 2016 15:18 as a reply to  @ Masa Yume's post |  #1073

After I learned orgami, Adorama nomenclature started to make sense...

Nikons, Rolleiflexes, Elinchroms, Billinghams

HelenOster
That's me!
4,487 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Jul 23, 2016 15:59 |  #1074

dmward wrote in post #18073868 (external link)
The irony in this conversation is that Adorama apparently negotiated their contract with Godox to be the exclusive reseller of the TTL version of the 600.

Auto dealers have for years realized what is required to be successful when selling something that is also for sale down the street with exactly the same name and capabilities. So have clothing stores, department stores, hardware stores and a host of other retailers. It would be amusing if not for all the compatibility questions being asked here, that Adorama is attempting to differentiate themselves as Godox X system resellers by changing the name.

In my view the Adorama customer service reputation, which I think is quite good, is taking a negative hit with this fanciful differentiation by name.:rolleyes:

This decision comes from the Flashpoint Team as I have noted previously.

I have already advised them that you all want to be able to cross compare - and I was highly dissatisfied with the response I received.

So, the only way - in my opinion - is for you all who feel this way to contact them directly: brands@adorama.com

gremlin75
Goldmember
2,727 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined Feb 2011

Jul 23, 2016 17:20 |  #1075

Sorry if they had been answered already, but I couldn't find it in a search of the thread.

Does anyone knoknow if there will be a Fuji "version". So basically will there be a trigger released that allows TTL and hss on Fuji cameras?

abbadon31
Goldmember
4,890 posts
Gallery: 260 photos
Best ofs: 9
Joined Jul 2009

Jul 23, 2016 17:48 |  #1076

gremlin75 wrote in post #18075553 (external link)
Sorry if they had been answered already, but I couldn't find it in a search of the thread.

Does anyone knoknow if there will be a Fuji "version". So basically will there be a trigger released that allows TTL and hss on Fuji cameras?

Not this year and Godox said they were not prosueing it yet

I AM SHOM

eventsof1768
652 posts
Gallery: 34 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined May 2010
Post edited over 2 years ago by eventsof1768.

Jul 24, 2016 01:34 |  #1077

Having issues. I have a 5D mk2, X1T+R, AD600B, V860C

When I have the trigger in group mode and have for example Group A - TTL, group B -manual: when I half press the shutter it goes back to non-group mode where all the groups are in the same mode. Is this limitation due to my camera?

Also, when I adjust TTL +1 or -1 or anything, both the AD600B and V860 screen still shows 0 compensation. On the AD600B, although it says 0 on its screen if the trigger says +3 it will overexpose fine so it seems to work ok. However, on the V860C, it seems like any compensation I apply via the trigger is being ignored and the exposures all look the same despite changing them in the X1.

instagram (external link)
onwhite photography (external link)
facebook (external link)
flickr (external link)

abbadon31
Goldmember
4,890 posts
Gallery: 260 photos
Best ofs: 9
Joined Jul 2009
Post edited over 2 years ago by abbadon31.

Jul 24, 2016 02:48 |  #1078

eventsof1768 wrote in post #18075840 (external link)
Having issues. I have a 5D mk2, X1T+R, AD600B, V860C

When I have the trigger in group mode and have for example Group A - TTL, group B -manual: when I half press the shutter it goes back to non-group mode where all the groups are in the same mode. Is this limitation due to my camera?

Also, when I adjust TTL +1 or -1 or anything, both the AD600B and V860 screen still shows 0 compensation. On the AD600B, although it says 0 on its screen if the trigger says +3 it will overexpose fine so it seems to work ok. However, on the V860C, it seems like any compensation I apply via the trigger is being ignored and the exposures all look the same despite changing them in the X1.

becasue the 5dMkII don't support group mode because is pre 2012

I AM SHOM

Ulysses01
403 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Jul 2013

Jul 25, 2016 02:21 |  #1079

HelenOster wrote in post #18075483 (external link)
This decision comes from the Flashpoint Team as I have noted previously.

I have already advised them that you all want to be able to cross compare - and I was highly dissatisfied with the response I received.

So, the only way - in my opinion - is for you all who feel this way to contact them directly: brands@adorama.com

Helen, thanks for trying. Really. You're just great, and everyone here sings your praises about the way you represent Adorama.

Have to say, however, their response or lack of it is disappointing. I have a feeling many who take issue with this sort of thing will simply communicate with their wallets and buy elsewhere rather than by writing them.

For example, I'm interested in a TTL version of the AD600 eventually. But I'm most likely to wait for other U.S. vendors to carry it rather than buy it from a company that refuses to make it easy for me to purchase from them. I say that as someone who has bought quite a bit of other product from Adorama over the course of my pro career.

HelenOster
That's me!
4,487 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Jul 25, 2016 05:58 |  #1080

Ulysses01 wrote in post #18076803 (external link)
Helen, thanks for trying. Really. You're just great, and everyone here sings your praises about the way you represent Adorama.

Have to say, however, their response or lack of it is disappointing. I have a feeling many who take issue with this sort of thing will simply communicate with their wallets and buy elsewhere rather than by writing them.

For example, I'm interested in a TTL version of the AD600 eventually. But I'm most likely to wait for other U.S. vendors to carry it rather than buy it from a company that refuses to make it easy for me to purchase from them. I say that as someone who has bought quite a bit of other product from Adorama over the course of my pro career.

This is the the email I sent to the head of the Flashpoint Team: "Would it be possible to share a reason with me that I can pass on to the customers - so that it at least sounds as though we have listened to their opinions?"

I am awaiting a response.

sponsored links

512,566 views & 733 likes for this thread
GODOX AD600 Witstro
FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.