Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
Thread started 23 Jul 2016 (Saturday) 06:45
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

How do you guys transfer your photos from your cameras to your computers?

kjonnnn
Goldmember
1,204 posts
Joined Apr 2005

Jul 24, 2016 11:52 |  #31

I use a card reader, then open Bridge > Get Photos

sponsored links
tzalman
Fatal attraction.
13,458 posts
Joined Apr 2005

Jul 24, 2016 14:42 |  #32

DGStinner wrote in post #18075190 (external link)
Check out this Lexar model
https://smile.amazon.c​om …lexar+card+read​er+usb+3.0 (external link)
It only does CF and SD but works great. It's the one I use.

I've gone through a pile of CF readers over the years (closing in on 18 years shooting digital) and sooner or later each one has found its way to the trash bin. Bent pins - the bane of CF. I think maybe it's psychological; I put the cards into the camera VERY carefully, but when half a dozen of them are waiting for comp time, I tend to just throw them in to the reader - but to this day I'LL swear some of them had pins made of pasta.

SDs don't have this problem.

Then I found the Lexar reader linked above. Of course there has to be some limit on how wide around and how stiff the pins can be, but I swear they are pure spun Indestructium. And the guides on the enclosing structure are straight and solid.
And what a cool impression I make on a group of fellow crazies gathered around a work station and proffering the proofs of their genius when I whip it out and flip it open.

Elie / אלי

John ­ from ­ PA
Cream of the Crop
8,710 posts
Joined May 2003

Jul 24, 2016 21:20 |  #33

Direct connection 60D to PC. Unlike the OP the Canon software almost automates the process as opposed to the copy > paste operation.

tonylong
...winded
54,657 posts
Gallery: 60 photos
Joined Sep 2007

Jul 26, 2016 02:14 |  #34

There've been a lot of interesting points made here, worth paying attention to!

As for me, I have used card readers since, well, since I started using card readers, you know, back in the "old days"! I have found them to be Quick and Easy! Note that I said readers, because I've always had multiple readers, that way I can have one with me when I'm mobile with q laptop shooting an event or whatever, can shoot pics and then download to the laptop and then go out and shoot some more, and so on. Then I can go home to my desktop workstation qnd I keep a card reader connected there, and can either copy/move images from the laptop to the desktop or plug in cards to the desktop reader, a nice simple process! I have, by the way, had a habit of carrying several several cards in my camera bag(s) so that if I don't want/need to use the laptop, well, fine!

Some points to ponder:

1) I notice that the OP has a Canon 6D. I'm not sure -- does the 6D take both CF cards and SD cards? I ask because many cameras are SD only, many others (DSLRs) are CF only, and then some can take both. My "working" camera for a bunch of years, the Canon 1D MkIII, took both, and on occasion I actually shot with both. This, along with the many shots I've done with compact and Point and Shoot cameras, which are typically SD only or even Micro SD, meant that I had readers with multiple slots that could handle several formats!

2) As has been pointed out, although card readers started out in the USB 2.0 format, which is pretty universal, they have been moving to the USB format, which can be considerably faster, but just be aware that if your computer doesn't have USB ports, a USB 3 reader can still work, just at USB 2 speeds!

3) More process/speed issues: Note that different memory cards have different speed "ratings". This matters because different camera bodies can handle different cards speeds in different ways, and it can be helpful to use the fastest speed cards that your camera can handle (not sure about the 6D) to make for quicker operations, including shooting faster "sequences" and then copying batches of shots from the camera to the computer. However, if you change over to, say, an older camera, well, things will be slower, or maybe disfunctional, so find out in advance!

4) On to the card readers: It should be noted that "Not All Card Readers Are Equal!". Here I'm not talking about the USB2/USB3 difference but about built-in performance issues. I once tested a couple different SanDisk readers and several different SanDisk cards as well as a Lexar card. The notable thing was a significant difference between the two SanDisk readers' performance. I didn't have the original package, but the labels showed no speed "specs", just that they were different model numbers, presumably indicating a different release date. But like I said, the differences were significant, leading me to stick with the "higher" model number for active photography!

Note that this was several years ago. I haven't grabbed new stuff in recent years and so haven't updated my tests, so, for instance, my SanDisk cards out-performed my Lexar card in interesting ways, but an above poster indicated interesting problems with SanDisk, and other people have mentioned different devices. I don't know about that stuff, so I won't blather!

As to built-in card readers, sure they will work, I've used ones on a laptop. The problem there, though, is that they can develop problems with repeated use, so that after time you could run out of usable slots!

Tony
Two Canon cameras (5DC, 30D), three Canon lenses (24-105, 100-400, 100mm macro)
Tony Long Photos on PBase (external link)
Wildlife project pics here (external link), Biking Photog shoots here (external link), "Suburbia" project here (external link)! Mount St. Helens, Mount Hood pics here (external link)

drmaxx
Goldmember
1,115 posts
Gallery: 29 photos
Joined Jul 2010

Jul 26, 2016 03:30 |  #35

tonylong wrote in post #18077798 (external link)
1) I notice that the OP has a Canon 6D. I'm not sure -- does the 6D take both CF cards and SD cards?

The 6D takes SD only.

I am working with my laptops built in SD card reader exclusively. Works like a charm and never saw a reason to use something else.... (I plug it in and LR starts automatically up....).

Donate if you love POTN

tonylong
...winded
54,657 posts
Gallery: 60 photos
Joined Sep 2007

Jul 26, 2016 04:16 |  #36

That's "good" to know about the 6D being SD only, although I think that there are more options with CF, but I'm not sure...?

One thing we need clarity on, is what software does the OP have for downloading and processing those 6D photos? If the OP doesn't have good up-to-date software, then us making blanket referrals, to Lightroom, Photoshop Bridge, or Apple software won't help much! In that case I'd advise installing and using the Canon software, the EOS Utilities for downloading, either from a cardreader or directly from the camera, and then using the Canon software to process either Raw files or JPEGS!

So, OP, what do you have and use?

Tony
Two Canon cameras (5DC, 30D), three Canon lenses (24-105, 100-400, 100mm macro)
Tony Long Photos on PBase (external link)
Wildlife project pics here (external link), Biking Photog shoots here (external link), "Suburbia" project here (external link)! Mount St. Helens, Mount Hood pics here (external link)

eddieb1
843 posts
Joined Apr 2013

Jul 26, 2016 12:17 |  #37

Amazing to see how some people overthink a simple process. :-)

chauncey
Cream of the Crop
9,696 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jun 2007

Jul 26, 2016 12:42 |  #38

Ya think that the question shoulda been answered after three pages?

The things you do for yourself die with you, the things you do for others live forever.
A man's worth should be judged, not when he basks in the sun, but how he faces the storm.

My stuff...http://1x.com/member/c​hauncey43 (external link)

Tom ­ Reichner
"I am a little creepy"
13,045 posts
Gallery: 142 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2008
Post edited over 2 years ago by Tom Reichner.

Jul 27, 2016 00:32 |  #39

chauncey wrote in post #18078165 (external link)
Ya think that the question shoulda been answered after three pages?

And it was answered. Within the first response, which was yours.

Apparently, the OP didn't just want just one answer, because he posed the question to "you guys", which means he is addressing it to the POTN community, which means that he was asking for multiple answers. Because there was no limit stated as to how many responses he wanted, anyone who comes across the thread may feel free to respond by answering the question, "How do you guys transfer your photos from your cameras to your computers?"

Just because some people have already answered the question does not in any way mean that others are not welcome to do the same.

I do not really understand the statement you made, "Ya think that the question shoulda been answered after three pages?" It has a question mark at the end, yet it is worded as a statement, not a question. Therefore, I am not really sure how to answer it. I can respond to a statement, but I cannot answer it, as only questions can be answered. So I am a bit confused as to what type of response you wanted from your post. Yet in response I will say that yes, I do think that the question shoulda been answered after three pages. I also think the question should have been answered after one page, which it was. Are you somehow inferring that the question has not yet been answered? Or are you inferring that because some of us answered it, then other people should not continue to answer it? Or are you inferring that we should not be discussing the answers that were given?

I would like to understand just what you meant when you made your post, and how you feel that your post contributes to the discussion about the different ways of transferring files.

"Your" and "you're" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"They're", "their", and "there" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"Fare" and "fair" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one. The proper expression is "moot point", NOT "mute point".

vk2gwk
Cream of the Crop
12,603 posts
Gallery: 244 photos
Joined Jun 2009

Jul 27, 2016 00:43 |  #40

Does not matter if the question was answered.... It is interesting to read about the various MO's and the "why".
To add my two cents worth: I hardly ever use a card reader as I tend to leave the card in the camera (CF card slots have pins that can be damaged when you exchange cards too often.)
I find Canon Utility - in combination with Bridge - the easy way.

My name is Henk. and I believe "It is all in the eye of the beholder....."
Image Editing is allowed. Please explain what you did!
5D MkIV 5DMkIII, 50D, 24-105/1:4L IS USM + 100-400/4-5.6L IS USM + 50mm 1.4 USM + Tamron 70-200mm F/2.8 VC + Sigma 150-600mm Sports + 580EXII + 430EX + YN568EXII, triggers, reflectors, umbrellas and some more bits and pieces...
Photos on: Flickr! (external link) and on my own web site. (external link)

CyberDyneSystems
Admin (type T-2000)
49,496 posts
Gallery: 156 photos
Joined Apr 2003
Post edited over 2 years ago by CyberDyneSystems. (2 edits in all)

Jul 27, 2016 10:22 |  #41

CF card (or SD) to card reader USB 3.

I do not use any importing feature, not even the OS, I open the card folder view, and I open my "Photos" directory and copy the image folders to a directory I have dated and named.

As an old school DOS user, my mind works in standard old fashion directory/sub-directory structure. I find creating and naming my own folders with dates easier to use than any ap library. You will never find me posting a question like "what did LR do with my images". They are all exactly where I put them.

For the record, I was one of the many users that in DOS and Windows 3.1 and the first release of Windows 95, that put all my data into a single directory with sub-directories specifically for ease of back up. (Data was so small back then)

It was not until Windows 95 OEM Service Release 2 that MS would finally create it's own built in "My Documents" folder. We were thrilled that MS was finally doing it the right way :)

When Win 7's libraries arrived, i i ignored it, preferring to continue to rely on directory structure.
I dis not let Win98 put My Music and Photos within My docs, docs are docs and small and can be backed up to the cloud or a CD-R easily. I also don't like the "layer of abstraction" that quickly evolved, hiding the physical directories within obscure locations in the C: drive, so always first step with Windows is to move the physical location to the D: drive in the root.

Music is huge, Photos is Terabytes, they have their own root directories.

No Data is kept on my C: or Boot drive. In my case every bit of data is on a "D:" drive,. except Photos which are on their on Drive letter (in this case "E") Which is a large mirrored RAID array.

I run two backups, one for all other Data on the D: drive, and one for the Photos. These backups are not mixed,. they can use totally different sized externals, (as again, the Photos Drive is much larger than all other data.)
At the same time the actual "docs" is mirrored to a cloud for ease of access at home or work.

If I were doing Video I'd be doing a huge multi terabyte volume for Video as well,. with no crossover in other data. (maybe music?)

Anyway that's how I do it, only slightly different than many others posting, but I felt worth posting anyway.

GEAR LIST
CDS' HOT LINKS
Jake Hegnauer Photography (external link)

Perfectly ­ Frank
I'm too sexy for my lens
4,187 posts
Gallery: 51 photos
Joined Oct 2010

Jul 27, 2016 10:28 |  #42

vk2gwk wrote in post #18078757 (external link)
Does not matter if the question was answered.... It is interesting to read about the various MO's and the "why".
To add my two cents worth: I hardly ever use a card reader as I tend to leave the card in the camera (CF card slots have pins that can be damaged when you exchange cards too often.)
I find Canon Utility - in combination with Bridge - the easy way.

Pretty much the way I do it, too.

I don't understand the popularity of card readers. Is it because of speed?

When you see my camera gear you'll think I'm a pro.
When you see my photos you'll know that I'm not.

gjl711
According to the lazy TF, My flatulence rates
54,876 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Jul 27, 2016 10:46 |  #43

Perfectly Frank wrote in post #18079007 (external link)

Easier than hooking up a cable especially if you have multiple cards to download.

Not sure why, but call me JJ.
I used to hate math but then I realised decimals have a point.
::Flickr:: (external link)
::Gear::

CyberDyneSystems
Admin (type T-2000)
49,496 posts
Gallery: 156 photos
Joined Apr 2003
Post edited over 2 years ago by CyberDyneSystems. (2 edits in all)

Jul 27, 2016 11:02 |  #44

Perfectly Frank wrote in post #18079007 (external link)

Speed

No battery being drained.

Easier to find room for a card next to PC than a camera, (I shoot multiple bodies, so swapping cords and finding room for a number of bodies, etc.)

I shoot multiple cards, fill them up all the time. No sense in having to put them back into a tethered camera to DL when it's easier to put them in the card reader and leave the camera at ready or in the bag.

The "bent pin" fear is overblown IMHO, but I could make the argument that it's a reason why I don't use the camera, as then I'd be swapping cards into the camera to download, in my case I'm more likely to bend a pin on a $15.99 card reader.

On location shoots, I can be downloading via card reader and shooting with camera.

P.S. both my work station and laptop have built in readers, so no external or cord required.

GEAR LIST
CDS' HOT LINKS
Jake Hegnauer Photography (external link)

teekay
Goldmember
3,037 posts
Joined Apr 2001

Jul 27, 2016 11:16 |  #45

CyberDyneSystems wrote in post #18078999 (external link)
.....As an old school DOS user, my mind works in standard old fashion directory/sub-directory structure. I find creating and naming my own folders with dates easier to use than any ap library. You will never find me posting a question like "what did LR do with my images". They are all exactly where I put them....

...For the record, I was one of the many users that in DOS and Windows 3.1 and the first release of Windows 95, that put all my data into a single directory with sub-directories specifically for ease of back up. (Data was so small back then)

.....No data is kept on my C: or Boot drive. In my case every bit of data is on a "D:" drive....

Amazing - almost exactly what I do! And also being a DOS old-timer, I use simple BAT files, accessed via desktop shortcuts, to automatically transfer files into appropriate folders after sticking cards into my computer-mounted card reader - it's very fast and easy.

sponsored links

8,151 views & 7 likes for this thread
How do you guys transfer your photos from your cameras to your computers?
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.