Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Critique Corner 
Thread started 25 Jul 2016 (Monday) 22:03
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Tips or pointers

Evertking
456 posts
Gallery: 20 photos
Joined Jul 2016
Post edited over 2 years ago by Evertking.

Jul 25, 2016 22:03 |  #1

Just looking for general advice from the pros around here.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

With a 85 mm
Thanks in advance

sponsored links
Martin ­ Dixon
Goldmember
1,864 posts
Gallery: 59 photos
Joined Sep 2009

Jul 26, 2016 02:16 |  #2

Not so pro but here goes...

Seems to be focussed on the big red wheel, missing slightly on the face. If you want to use f1.8 for shallow DOF then you will need to concentrate on using the right AF point or be careful with focus and recompose if you do that.

I would assume the lens is focussing properly, but it may be worth a test and check your microfocus adjust.

I would probably stop down a bit- much easier and bokeh is probably not the main attraction on the image :)

I would probably have gone for rule of thirds for the boys face, cutting out much of the blurry blue slide.

Should be a good photo - good moment, choice of lens, lighting reasonable and nice colours.

flickr (external link) Editing OK (external link)

chauncey
Cream of the Crop
9,696 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jun 2007

Jul 27, 2016 11:56 |  #3

Echo above in total.

The things you do for yourself die with you, the things you do for others live forever.
A man's worth should be judged, not when he basks in the sun, but how he faces the storm.

My stuff...http://1x.com/member/c​hauncey43 (external link)

kjonnnn
Goldmember
1,204 posts
Joined Apr 2005

Jul 27, 2016 12:43 |  #4

As mentioned, I would have put the boy farther to the right, using the rule of thirds. But even if you didn't do that, always be aware of your background, it is just as important as the subject in many cases. In this image' you have a very bright blue object with a very bright reflection fighting for the same attention as your subject.

If this was just a quick snapshot grab, I'd say its nice. I know its hard to get kids to slow down and pose. BUT, if there was the opportunity, I would have tried a different perspective without such a bright distraction in the background and placed by young boy using the rule of thirds. Remember with the rule of thirds you want to give people space to "look into."

BigAl007
Cream of the Crop
7,979 posts
Gallery: 542 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2010

Jul 29, 2016 18:15 |  #5

I would be tempted to crop this to a 4:5 or even better a 4:3 ratio, and take all of it off the right and side. It will being the boy closer to the third too. You don't always have to keep the native aspect ratio, and 4:3 is a very common ratio, with a lot of cameras using it, so it won't look odd.

Alan

My Flickr (external link)
My new Aviation images blog site (external link)

MalVeauX
"Looks rough and well used"
13,138 posts
Gallery: 1604 photos
Best ofs: 4
Joined Feb 2013

Jul 29, 2016 18:41 |  #6

Heya,

1. Eyes & Hands. You got the hands. But the eyes (and face) are slightly out of focus due to depth of field being so shallow. Try to focus on the eyes with kids/people unless you're doing something else creative and on purpose. Depending on what way you have your AF configured, go for center point and command it onto the eyes, in all-points-auto it's going to grab whatever, and that won't work out well with shallow depth of field. I don't think recompose happened here, which is why I bring up the AF points, because your subject is dead center.

2. Composition is the key to every photo regardless of subject matter. Play around with cropping this into different compositions. You don't always want your subject dead center. Play with it abit and be creative. I would definitely find a way to remove the big block of darkness on the top of the horizon of the original photo, it adds nothing but takes up space.

3. Post work has a lot of potential. You could play with white balance to taste (I think significantly warmed up, this would look more pleasing maybe?). You could do some work on the eyes to make them pop a bit (ie, make a layer, saturate them just a hint more, and dodge/burn as needed to just give them a little bit more of a pop if you wanted to).

Very best,

My Flickr (external link) :: My Astrobin (external link)

sponsored links

1,912 views & 6 likes for this thread
Tips or pointers
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Critique Corner 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.