Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
Thread started 23 Jul 2016 (Saturday) 06:45
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

How do you guys transfer your photos from your cameras to your computers?

Perfectly ­ Frank
I'm too sexy for my lens
4,189 posts
Gallery: 51 photos
Joined Oct 2010

Jul 27, 2016 11:58 |  #46

CyberDyneSystems wrote in post #18079040 (external link)
Speed

No battery being drained.

Easier to find room for a card next to PC than a camera, (I shoot multiple bodies, so swapping cords and finding room for a number of bodies, etc.)

I shoot multiple cards, fill them up all the time. No sense in having to put them back into a tethered camera to DL when it's easier to put them in the card reader and leave the camera at ready or in the bag.

The "bent pin" fear is overblown IMHO, but I could make the argument that it's a reason why I don't use the camera, as then I'd be swapping cards into the camera to download, in my case I'm more likely to bend a pin on a $15.99 card reader.

On location shoots, I can be downloading via card reader and shooting with camera.

P.S. both my work station and laptop have built in readers, so no external or cord required.

Ok, makes sense. Thanks.

When you see my camera gear you'll think I'm a pro.
When you see my photos you'll know that I'm not.

sponsored links
kjonnnn
Goldmember
1,204 posts
Joined Apr 2005

Jul 27, 2016 12:16 as a reply to  @ post 18079007 |  #47

For me, I bent one of the pins inside the card reader built into my computer. Also for me, its easier to keep up with the card reader rather than the little usb dongle that would plug into the camera. Plus, my card reader seems to move them a litttle faster.

Luckless
Goldmember
3,064 posts
Joined Mar 2012

Jul 27, 2016 12:29 |  #48

I prefer to use card readers rather than transfer through the camera for a few core reasons:

1. Slightly faster transfer speeds than what my old 7D allows.
2. Space. My pair of 7Ds would take up most of the space on my desk. Small stack of cards and the reader sit nicely on the base of my monitor stand.

Using the external USB 3.0 card reader also is just easier to handle. The camera body is big and clunky, and it is more awkward to get cards in and out of than the dedicated card reader. If I'm just pulling off a dozen or so photos then I might grab the cable and go straight from the camera, but I have no desire to use the camera if I'm pulling from a half dozen different cards.

Specifically how I pull the images will depend on the volume. If I have a tonne to do at once off multiple cards, then I'll drag the images from the card straight to a holding folder on the drive for each card, then import the whole batch of them into Lightroom for sorting and processing.

Images go to an SSD initially while they're being worked with, then later on get moved off to spinning disk for archive storage. (In addition to the backups along the way from either the SSD or hard drive.)

Canon EOS 7D | EF 28 f/1.8 | EF 85 f/1.8 | EF 70-200 f/4L | EF-S 17-55 | Sigma 150-500
Flickr: Real-Luckless (external link)

CyberDyneSystems
Admin (type T-2000)
49,496 posts
Gallery: 156 photos
Joined Apr 2003

Jul 27, 2016 13:01 |  #49

teekay wrote in post #18079053 (external link)
Amazing - almost exactly what I do! And also being a DOS old-timer, I use simple BAT files, accessed via desktop shortcuts, to automatically transfer files into appropriate folders after sticking cards into my computer-mounted card reader - it's very fast and easy.

/S/E/V and maybe /D :)

GEAR LIST
CDS' HOT LINKS
Jake Hegnauer Photography (external link)

BigAl007
Cream of the Crop
7,973 posts
Gallery: 542 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2010

Jul 27, 2016 13:53 |  #50

CyberDyneSystems wrote in post #18078999 (external link)
CF card (or SD) to card reader USB 3.

I do not use any importing feature, not even the OS, I open the card folder view, and I open my "Photos" directory and copy the image folders to a directory I have dated and named.

Jake this comment makes no sense, since you are using the OS to do the download using it's normal file management tools. I didn't think that Windows yet had any sort of specific tool for uploading image files to the computer, that worked in the way that the LR or Bridge "import" tools worked. Where not only are the images copied/moved from the card to a location on disk, as well as potentially a backup location, and also optional additional data, such as EXIF based keywords and/or copyright notices and the like are added to the files as part of this process.

I know that the latest version of OSX for the Mac does have this type of system. It is really annoying as when I plug a thumb drive or other memory card with images on it into my friends iMac it opens the Photos import tool, and really doesn't like it if you try to override Photos. What is worse is that Photos defaults to writing the image file directly into the Photos database file, not the filesystem. Requiring a trip to Photos to "recover" images that were shot in JPEG by my friend on their camera, before I can simply upload them to their website for them. Which is also why I am putting a thumb drive of images in the computer's USB port. I don't even need to copy those images to the HDD, just upload to the website direct from the thumb drive.

Alan

My Flickr (external link)
My new Aviation images blog site (external link)

CyberDyneSystems
Admin (type T-2000)
49,496 posts
Joined Apr 2003
Post edited over 2 years ago by CyberDyneSystems. (4 edits in all)

Jul 27, 2016 14:03 |  #51

BigAl007 wrote in post #18079228 (external link)
Jake this comment makes no sense, since you are using the OS to do the download using it's normal file management tools. ...

Alan

Maybe a bad assumption/memory on my part. I thought I recalled an option to do an "automated import" into the library or some such thing as part of the pop up window that comes up.

( A window by the way that refuses to let me tell it to just ALWAYS open to folder view so I can do it myself. I have to chose that option every time.
The number of things that Win7 seems to want to do with an inserted card that ISN'T just opening the directory is very long and silly. No I don't want to try to play my RAW files in the music player, etc,.. On older Windows installs, I had it so it would just open to the folder view. )

Maybe I'm confusing this with some application as opposed to Windows.

what OSx is doing is one of the reasons I am currently still steering clear of Mac, it's truly frustrating. (My wife and Daughter are on Mac)

GEAR LIST
CDS' HOT LINKS

BigAl007
Cream of the Crop
7,973 posts
Gallery: 542 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2010

Jul 27, 2016 18:06 as a reply to  @ CyberDyneSystems's post |  #52

Jake when it comes to the Win 7 "Libraries" I quickly noticed that actually all they are are pointers to specific folders in the file system, pointers that it is actually very quick to customise. So I simply pointed the Pictures Libraries at the root folder on each of my external hard drives that hold images. The Documents Library points to the My Documents folder by default, and that is where my documents live, although they may be found in subfolders too. So now I just use the Libraries as a quick shortcut to the folders where I want the documents stored. Until I found out by chance that you could add locations of your own to the Libraries I too thought that they were a complete waste of time. I actually rather like the way that Windows Explorer works on Win 7. You have the choice of selecting a library and having all of the files/subfolders in all of "root" directories shown to you at once. Or you can just use the normal tree view on the left, with folder contents on the right, just as you have since at least Win 3.1/Workgroups, which is the earliest version of windows that I have used.

My default action for the insert of CF cards in Win 7 has been to open the LR import window. Usually doing the import direct to LR is what I want to do, I don't have to upload 3000+ images every day.

I haven't really used Win 8 much, so I don't really know much about it, and I have never used Win 10 yet. I am currently getting by on an old Win XP laptop, as my Win 7 system completely died one night, I have a feeling the Win 10 upgrade got on there after all, and killed it mod upgrade. The computer simply fails to boot now. So I can't actually check any of this out for my self at the moment.

Alan

My Flickr (external link)
My new Aviation images blog site (external link)

CyberDyneSystems
Admin (type T-2000)
49,496 posts
Joined Apr 2003
Post edited over 2 years ago by CyberDyneSystems.

Jul 27, 2016 18:21 |  #53

BigAl007 wrote in post #18079228 (external link)
Jake this comment makes no sense, since you are using the OS to do the download using it's normal file management tools. I didn't think that Windows yet had any sort of specific tool for uploading image files to the computer, ...

Got home and re-checked this, and indeed the first option in the pop up window reads exactly;

"Import Pictures and Videos
. . . . . . . . . . .Using Windows"

If I click that, I am taken to a dialogue, import process with options to tag images and drop down menus, options etc. which is exactly what I don't want, and indeed, do not use.

That said, a lot of what you say about libraries I can see being useful.

GEAR LIST
CDS' HOT LINKS

noopi
THREAD ­ STARTER
212 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Jun 2009

Jul 27, 2016 20:27 |  #54

Thanks for all the different answers! I have a lot more insight into how other people work now! :)

And of course, I didn't realize that my laptop actually has a built in SD-card reader! (Due to my setup, my laptop is off to the side, and it's on the side that I never see). So it looks like I'm just going to be using that for now until I have any problems or setbacks!

Thanks again everyone! Be nice to each other!

My first legit camera is a Canon AE-1 Program, given to me as a birthday present from my best friend. And so my obsession begins...
Canon EOS-6D: 24-105mmL, 16-35mmL, 50mmL

sponsored links

8,152 views & 7 likes for this thread
How do you guys transfer your photos from your cameras to your computers?
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.