Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 15 Sep 2014 (Monday) 11:20
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

-= 7D2 owners unite! Discuss and post photos!

gschlact
1,317 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Jan 2010

Jul 27, 2016 14:21 |  #12781

Pondrader wrote in post #18079207 (external link)
Thats a good question, the one thing I would like in my camera is a way to bios my iso, if I could adjust the iso to not be so radical in its movements in some situations shooting wildlife I would not put 20 mile's on the top wheel in shadow and bright sunlight situation's,...Like shooting fox kit's in the shade this spring, turning on that wheel the entire time because the camera had way to big a swing. There's a lot of brain stuff going on during shooting and PP after the fact to get something like this shot. It looks a gentle light but life is not that kind to us lol

Jeff,
I insert a couple of cents worth of suggestions.
In the example frame with high DR, we get 2 choices, annually expose, or semiautomatic using on of the AE modes.

If your AE was over exposing, first thing to do is double check that it wasn't due forgetting that you set a crazy +EC. (I doubt it.)

So leaving auto ISO (a semi manual mode as it relies on AE) requires better choice and manual intervention of AE. I find Evaluative AE unreliable due to its averaging algorithms. (I don't recall if it let's us choose between center weighted averaging, or if that is only for flash AE). Anyway, in a shot with high DR, as the photog, you'll get best results by using Partial (15% of frame area, so about center 40% of height and 40%of width) or Spot AE (3% pf Fram area, so about center 17% of height and width), and choosing what part of the frame you want it to measure. If you dont want to meter the center portion of the frame due to composition desires, you'll need to use AELOCK using the center, and then recompose. Personally, I have a lot of luck using Partial AE along with EC as necessary. Exceptions needing ae lock infrequently occur. In your example, I would have tried partial as framed to start. It might have required a little -EC in camera or in post. I would expect Evaluative to have created over exposed image due to the quantity of darkness cross the frame (creating a low average). I know it is supposed to be biased by active af point, but I don't find it too successful.

sponsored links
gschlact
1,317 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Jul 27, 2016 14:52 |  #12782

I just created this new thread.
7dii all pts f8 is only a firmware upgrade away!
https://photography-on-the.net …/showthread.php​?t=1464487

Pondrader
"now I'm no rocket scientist but I do get a shot or two"
15,730 posts
Gallery: 2428 photos
Best ofs: 5
Joined Aug 2012
Post edited over 2 years ago by Pondrader. (2 edits in all)

Jul 27, 2016 15:41 as a reply to  @ gschlact's post |  #12783

If only it was that easy, Yes today I used Partial on the birds as as you say it tends to help with burnt whites. But what I'm getting at is if left to the camera in extreme lighting like this the camera will always come away with lights that are unrecoverable, but if we could narrow the value of the iso chosen by the camera we might be able to recover in post more easily than seeing it in ones head as its happening and of course lowering of shutter is a killer as it leaves us with motion blur. You Guy have the best handle on the lingo and specific's, I only rely on what I see and do in the field. I have shoot these conditions for several Terabit of fox kits over years. Nothing is close to manual mode while watching the light meter and running the shutter up and down while calculating the balance of way to bright and way to dark against the iso and shutter you choose in under 1/2 a millisecond lol. The camera in any mode I know of will leave you wishing you did it manually at the end of the day. My thoughts were to slow the iso and limit its swing is all.. its is something I have thought of but have no real basis for my thinking. but if I could get the camera to choose 1000 instead of 2500 sometimes ??

Anyway my wish is to be able to narrow the iso so it ups more slowly and does more like what I do manually

Jeff ........, 7D, 70-300L, 100-400LII
flickr (external link)

sidknee
Goldmember
1,280 posts
Gallery: 616 photos
Joined Mar 2010

Jul 27, 2016 16:40 |  #12784

Pondrader wrote in post #18079332 (external link)
If only it was that easy, Yes today I used Partial on the birds as as you say it tends to help with burnt whites. But what I'm getting at is if left to the camera in extreme lighting like this the camera will always come away with lights that are unrecoverable, but if we could narrow the value of the iso chosen by the camera we might be able to recover in post more easily than seeing it in ones head as its happening and of course lowering of shutter is a killer as it leaves us with motion blur. You Guy have the best handle on the lingo and specific's, I only rely on what I see and do in the field. I have shoot these conditions for several Terabit of fox kits over years. Nothing is close to manual mode while watching the light meter and running the shutter up and down while calculating the balance of way to bright and way to dark against the iso and shutter you choose in under 1/2 a millisecond lol. The camera in any mode I know of will leave you wishing you did it manually at the end of the day. My thoughts were to slow the iso and limit its swing is all.. its is something I have thought of but have no real basis for my thinking. but if I could get the camera to choose 1000 instead of 2500 sometimes ??

I have ISO changeable with the set button and wheel in manual so I can leave shutter and aperture alone and very quickly adjust iso accordingly.

Will ­ in ­ Tejas
Goldmember
2,449 posts
Gallery: 12 photos
Joined Mar 2014

Jul 27, 2016 17:07 |  #12785

IMAGE: https://c1.staticflickr.com/9/8701/28304780320_2243a3e356_b.jpg
IMAGE LINK: https://flic.kr/p/K8cp​4N  (external link) Ruby throated hummingbird (external link) by Bill Morris (external link), on Flickr

IMAGE: https://c8.staticflickr.com/9/8341/28588873535_88079ac23c_b.jpg
IMAGE LINK: https://flic.kr/p/Kyis​5F  (external link) Ruby throated hummingbird (external link) by Bill Morris (external link), on Flickr

IMAGE: https://c1.staticflickr.com/9/8447/27971611304_a62b45ff40_b.jpg
IMAGE LINK: https://flic.kr/p/JBKP​wq  (external link) Ruby throated hummingbird (external link) by Bill Morris (external link), on Flickr

Bill being Smug (external link)

Pondrader
15,730 posts
Joined Aug 2012
Post edited over 2 years ago by Pondrader.

Jul 27, 2016 17:13 as a reply to  @ Will in Tejas's post |  #12786

Nice job Will, Wicked light

flickr (external link)

Pondrader
15,730 posts
Joined Aug 2012

Jul 27, 2016 17:19 as a reply to  @ sidknee's post |  #12787

Yes that may work but your still hammering on that wheel, and you know I lost a good camera to that last year. It was a wish kinda question from Evelakes and that is mine lol just to have iso change up more slowly at times so in manual mode we could get it closer to what we would choose were as the camera will go way to far even in spot or partial metering. just for those situations

flickr (external link)

Scrumhalf
Cream of the Crop
6,293 posts
Gallery: 40 photos
Joined Jul 2012

Jul 27, 2016 18:53 |  #12788

Little Egret at the mouth of the Adyar River in Chennai, India.

IMAGE: https://c8.staticflickr.com/9/8651/28466352095_19490c8a52_o.jpg
IMAGE LINK: https://flic.kr/p/Kntu​J4  (external link) Little Egret (external link) by Scrumhalf (external link), on Flickr

Sam
5D4 | 6D | 7D2 (2 bodies) | Reasonably good glass
Gear List

flickr (external link)
If I don't get the shots I want with the gear I have, the only optics I need to examine is the mirror on the bathroom wall. The root cause will be there.

Ravi09
200 posts
Gallery: 21 photos
Joined Feb 2010

Jul 27, 2016 20:55 |  #12789

Today I officially became a member of the 7D2 club :-). I had the 80D for a week but exchanged it today with the 7D2. I went out today for a short test and from what I've seen in the camera LCD, I already liked what I'm seeing.

Peter2516
Cream of the Crop
26,221 posts
Gallery: 926 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Oct 2010

Jul 27, 2016 22:22 |  #12790

Lupo-Lobo wrote in post #18078761 (external link)
Love the Green Heron - nice work!

Thank you always Lupo.

Peter
http://www.flickriver.​com/photos/peterbangay​an (external link)
EOS 5D Mark IV, 1Dx1, 7D Mark I & II/Canon T2i Gripped/EF 500mm f/4L IS USM MK1 / EF70-200mm f2.8L IS II USM / EF100 -400 f4.5-5.6L USM/ EFS 10-22mm/EFS 17-55mm/EFS 18-200mm/Canon 1.4x II/Canon 2x III/ 430EXII / 580EXII.

darkslinger
866 posts
Gallery: 209 photos
Joined Mar 2011

Jul 27, 2016 22:24 |  #12791

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

Be the uncarved block

STIC
Goldmember
1,627 posts
Gallery: 360 photos
Joined Oct 2012

Jul 27, 2016 23:04 |  #12792
bannedPermanent ban

IMAGE: https://c3.staticflickr.com/9/8892/28315679410_51f7c96e02_c.jpg
IMAGE LINK: https://flic.kr/p/K9af​Z9  (external link) More drained (external link) by Flickr Sucks (external link), on Flickr

7D MarkII l 50 1.8 STM l15-85 IS USM l 100-400 IS L l 2x converter l 580EX II l Wireless remote l A computer l Some software l A vehicle to get me around...;)

gschlact
1,317 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Jul 27, 2016 23:38 |  #12793

Pondrader wrote in post #18079332 (external link)

Anyway my wish is to be able to narrow the iso so it ups more slowly and does more like what I do manually

It sounds like you want to limit the amount the camera wants to over expose by limiting how high of and iso it will use. This comes back to controlling auto exposure i was mentioning. Which mode were you in for the kits example you posted? If Evauative, we know it not reliable, if it was partial, it reacted in similar fashion due to the over representation of darks. I think the only way you are going to get proper exposure using a semiautomatic mode is to recognize lighting that will confuse the ae. Place the partial ae region over move normal light distribution, lock AE, recompose and shoot? Limiting max iso won't work as you would only set it after recognizing the framed subject was confusing the AE; so you could use EC too at that point.

Phoenixkh
a mere speck
6,823 posts
Gallery: 67 photos
Joined May 2011

Jul 27, 2016 23:59 as a reply to  @ Pondrader's post |  #12794

I have never been comfortable using auto ISO on either the 7D2 or now on the 1D IV. I shoot in AV and set the ISO to get the shutter speed I need at a particular aperture. I know how to use manual but find, for me, AV is faster.

Kim (the male variety) Canon 1DX2 | 1D IV | 16-35 f/4 IS | 24-105 f/4 IS | 100L IS macro | 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II | 100-400Lii | 50 f/1.8 STM | Canon 1.4X III
RRS tripod and monopod | 580EXII | Cinch 1 & Loop 3 Special Edition | Editing Encouraged

Peter2516
Cream of the Crop
26,221 posts
Gallery: 926 photos
Joined Oct 2010

Jul 28, 2016 00:36 |  #12795

IMAGE: https://c1.staticflickr.com/9/8769/28494249552_cd68afab94_c.jpg
IMAGE LINK: https://flic.kr/p/KpWt​EG  (external link) Great Horned Owl (external link) by Peter Bangayan (external link), on Flickr

Peter
http://www.flickriver.​com/photos/peterbangay​an (external link)
EOS 5D Mark IV, 1Dx1, 7D Mark I & II/Canon T2i Gripped/EF 500mm f/4L IS USM MK1 / EF70-200mm f2.8L IS II USM / EF100 -400 f4.5-5.6L USM/ EFS 10-22mm/EFS 17-55mm/EFS 18-200mm/Canon 1.4x II/Canon 2x III/ 430EXII / 580EXII.

sponsored links

5,681,739 views & 90,897 likes for this thread
-= 7D2 owners unite! Discuss and post photos!
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.