Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Architecture, Real-Estate & Buildings 
Thread started 15 Jul 2010 (Thursday) 14:37
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

A thread for real estate, architectural, and interior design photography

digital_AM
Cream of the Crop
8,181 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Dec 2010

Jul 29, 2016 17:26 |  #8341

cccc wrote in post #18080658 (external link)
Much much better. Love the edit!

Appreciate it!

DonJuanMair wrote in post #18080666 (external link)
Great edit!! looks way better imo

Thank you DJM!

Really digging the colors and tones in this image. Well done.

sponsored links
cccc
Goldmember
2,017 posts
Gallery: 18 photos
Joined Dec 2008

Jul 29, 2016 19:28 |  #8342

I find that images like these - the ones that look natural and effortless, are the ones that take the most skill to create. The lighting in this space is complex, and you've captured it beautifully.

amairphoto
Cream of the Crop
6,978 posts
Gallery: 67 photos
Best ofs: 3
Joined Aug 2007

Jul 30, 2016 00:44 |  #8343

Thanks all. I was a bit worried about this one. The client wanted to focus to be the airstream. But the it wasn't aligned with everything else in the room. So I moved some furniture around to match. There was too much dead space in the foreground so I moved the two pieces on the right more in the frame
I'll post a before and after video to show shortly

My Website: http://www.amairphoto.​com (external link)
flickr (external link)

digital_AM
Cream of the Crop
8,181 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Dec 2010

Jul 30, 2016 12:59 |  #8344

This is a converted brewery into hotel. Very cool place. The interior images I posted earlier are from this place.

IMAGE: https://c6.staticflickr.com/9/8390/28520231901_6c7f9b3823_b.jpg

amairphoto
Cream of the Crop
6,978 posts
Gallery: 67 photos
Best ofs: 3
Joined Aug 2007

Jul 30, 2016 15:12 |  #8345

For anyone who is interested, here is a little before and after

https://www.youtube.co​m …ZjjyDoXo&featur​e=youtu.be (external link)

HDR for the areas where it is needed and just lighting the table to the left and games to the right

My Website: http://www.amairphoto.​com (external link)
flickr (external link)

markd61
60 posts
Joined Apr 2011

Jul 30, 2016 23:47 |  #8346

PECE Photo wrote in post #18038580 (external link)
These are the best real estate photographs I have seen in my life. Nothing even comes close in my estimation actually. They do have some blue skies in there I should note, but they never shy away from a white, bland sky when the conditions are such. I don't know, I would encourage you to rethink that statement. I Don't think good re photos have anything to do with blue skies myself, although I do agree you can be compelled by US clients to make them blue, for whatever reason.

http://www.fantasticfr​ank.se/stockholm/till-salu (external link)

These images are gorgeous. I would kill for properties like this.

I live in the desert and we have sharp sun 355 days a year. I shoot late afternoon and evenings with lots of lights.
I know it is more than just setting up and firing a single frame but I would love to see them work.

Here is someone else I admire.

https://www.flickr.com​/photos/24958660@N07/ (external link)

markd61
60 posts
Joined Apr 2011

Jul 30, 2016 23:57 |  #8347

cccc wrote in post #18079575 (external link)
Most of those people are stuck in 2006.

1995 in SoCal.
The drought has made clients sensitive to wetting the pavement.

When needed, I darken pavement to be less obtrusive.

golfecho
(I will regret that)
1,966 posts
Gallery: 12 photos
Joined Jan 2007

Jul 31, 2016 06:03 |  #8348

markd61 wrote in post #18082332 (external link)
Here is someone else I admire.

https://www.flickr.com​/photos/24958660@N07/ (external link)

WOW. Just wow.

Facebook (external link) or Website (external link)

seaLere
468 posts
Gallery: 13 photos
Joined Mar 2013

Jul 31, 2016 09:35 |  #8349

So what method is everyone finding most effective for reaching out to new clients. We have 700,000$ houses all over with iPhone photos and some use cheap HDR photos. I've tried to reach out to many real estate agents and custom home builders via email but most don't reply. Anyone have success with a particular method?

Sony A7RIII with Canon glass
- www.codylere.com (external link) - Architectural and Interiors Photography

mltn
353 posts
Gallery: 6 photos
Joined Sep 2010

Jul 31, 2016 10:58 |  #8350

seaLere wrote in post #18082573 (external link)
So what method is everyone finding most effective for reaching out to new clients. We have 700,000$ houses all over with iPhone photos and some use cheap HDR photos. I've tried to reach out to many real estate agents and custom home builders via email but most don't reply. Anyone have success with a particular method?

This is always a good question, have you called these people to follow up after the email? Might as well give it a shot. You might consider sending out a print promo to target higher end clients too. How are you sending emails? Are you using a service that gives you metrics on who is reading the email and who clicking through to your site? Or are you just sending emails in the standard way?

Also, ask yourself if your website is tooled to attract those types of clients? You've got a nice site, however it's geared more toward weddings, and the real estate section feels out of place. Where is that shiny new work you just posted here? Those shots are great, those need to be on your site!

I would strongly recommend separating your wedding and family work from your commercial work, it will benefit each line of work independently. Weddings and real estate really don't fit side by side, so forcing both of them in the same site devalues each body of work to a certain degree, and the way your site is currently set up, the real estate work is taking the back seat. Your potential clients really have to want to dig to find it, which is no bueno.

I would also recommend considering tightening up the rest of the work you have displayed. Your website should not be a catch all for any kind of work you've ever done, it should be your most presentable professional work, and personal projects if they are strong bodies of work. The graphic design and automotive work feels tacked on, and these aren't quite complete bodies of work. Also the graphic design section doesn't load properly. I'm sensing some brand confusion from your website, and I would imagine your potential clients pick up on that too.

I think you have at least two big questions, the first being are these people you've emailed even in the market for a photographer? The second is, if they are, is your best marketing tool (website) effective at selling your abilities? I realize you did not ask for a website critique, but any marketing efforts can only do so much if your website isn't presenting the work you're marketing effectively. I hope none of this comes off as too harsh, I'm aiming to be constructive here, and I hope that my perspective is helpful in some way.

One last point, keep in mind that real estate agents and home builders have different needs, so it's not necessarily appropriate to shoot or price them in the same way.

cccc
Goldmember
2,017 posts
Gallery: 18 photos
Joined Dec 2008

Jul 31, 2016 18:34 as a reply to  @ mltn's post |  #8351

Call, email, then call. Then email. Then call again.

Persistence pays off.

joooowan
718 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Jan 2009

Jul 31, 2016 18:49 |  #8352

get in front of their faces.

CC welcome.
Cameras: Canon 5D4, Sony A7riii
Lenses: A bunch
Accessories: Too many
Lighting: Godox should sponsor me

rejay14
Goldmember
1,055 posts
Gallery: 42 photos
Joined Mar 2009

Jul 31, 2016 21:35 |  #8353

I'm having the same problems.. RE Agents are as tight with their wallets as bands are. My vacation homes are really easy to promote, as opposed to RE listings.

1DX Mark II, 5D Mark IV, 40D,Rebel XT :lol:, 70-200L 2.8 IS II, 100-400L IS II,24-105 II L, 100mmL 2.8 IS, 16-35L 2.8 II, 24-70 2.8L II, Sigma 50mm 1.4 Art, Sekonic 758DR, Pixma 9500 II, Pixma 9000 II, Think Tank Airport Accelerator v2.0, Canon 600EX-RT x 5, Profoto B1 x 4 with too many modifiers http:// …www.PrestigePhotoPro.c​om (external link) Portfolio (external link)
Concert Photography (external link)

seaLere
468 posts
Gallery: 13 photos
Joined Mar 2013
Post edited over 3 years ago by seaLere.

Jul 31, 2016 23:02 |  #8354

mltn wrote in post #18082629 (external link)
This is always a good question, have you called these people to follow up after the email? Might as well give it a shot. You might consider sending out a print promo to target higher end clients too. How are you sending emails? Are you using a service that gives you metrics on who is reading the email and who clicking through to your site? Or are you just sending emails in the standard way?

Also, ask yourself if your website is tooled to attract those types of clients? You've got a nice site, however it's geared more toward weddings, and the real estate section feels out of place. Where is that shiny new work you just posted here? Those shots are great, those need to be on your site!

I would strongly recommend separating your wedding and family work from your commercial work, it will benefit each line of work independently. Weddings and real estate really don't fit side by side, so forcing both of them in the same site devalues each body of work to a certain degree, and the way your site is currently set up, the real estate work is taking the back seat. Your potential clients really have to want to dig to find it, which is no bueno.

I would also recommend considering tightening up the rest of the work you have displayed. Your website should not be a catch all for any kind of work you've ever done, it should be your most presentable professional work, and personal projects if they are strong bodies of work. The graphic design and automotive work feels tacked on, and these aren't quite complete bodies of work. Also the graphic design section doesn't load properly. I'm sensing some brand confusion from your website, and I would imagine your potential clients pick up on that too.

I think you have at least two big questions, the first being are these people you've emailed even in the market for a photographer? The second is, if they are, is your best marketing tool (website) effective at selling your abilities? I realize you did not ask for a website critique, but any marketing efforts can only do so much if your website isn't presenting the work you're marketing effectively. I hope none of this comes off as too harsh, I'm aiming to be constructive here, and I hope that my perspective is helpful in some way.

One last point, keep in mind that real estate agents and home builders have different needs, so it's not necessarily appropriate to shoot or price them in the same way.

Thanks for the input....my website is set to expire this month and I've changed my business from "Cody Lere Photo and Design" to "Cody Lere Photography" so yes, I should remove the graphic design and automotive as it's not needed once the new domain is up. When I do email, I link them directly to the real estate only but maybe I should buy a second domain for that. I'm very bad at updating my website with current photos so I definitely need to get better with that.

Personally though unless you reach out I feel like many real estate agents (at least around here) aren't in the market for a photographer unless approached. I really appreciate the advice on the website though, it makes a lot of sense.

rejay14 wrote in post #18083164 (external link)
I'm having the same problems.. RE Agents are as tight with their wallets as bands are. My vacation homes are really easy to promote, as opposed to RE listings.

Funny how that works huh? They are trying to get somebody to spend hundreds of thousands/millions but won't spend a couple hundred to do it lol.

Sony A7RIII with Canon glass
- www.codylere.com (external link) - Architectural and Interiors Photography

LoneRider
Goldmember
2,543 posts
Gallery: 508 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2010

Aug 01, 2016 03:57 |  #8355

seaLere wrote in post #18083210 (external link)
Thanks for the input....my website is set to expire this month and I've changed my business from "Cody Lere Photo and Design" to "Cody Lere Photography" so yes, I should remove the graphic design and automotive as it's not needed once the new domain is up. When I do email, I link them directly to the real estate only but maybe I should buy a second domain for that. I'm very bad at updating my website with current photos so I definitely need to get better with that.

Personally though unless you reach out I feel like many real estate agents (at least around here) aren't in the market for a photographer unless approached. I really appreciate the advice on the website though, it makes a lot of sense.

Funny how that works huh? They are trying to get somebody to spend hundreds of thousands/millions but won't spend a couple hundred to do it lol.

Exactly... My limited experience is that how well the market is doing can make a big difference. Locally a lot of houses are getting multiple offers, even over asking within 48hours of being listed. I have had a few cancellations because they go pending before photos can even be taken. definite seller's market currently in my area.

Wayne...
~I don't suffer from gear ADD, I embrace and enjoy it...~
Canon EOS R, Panasonic G9, GX9, and a bunch of glass...

sponsored links

2,396,036 views & 1,814 likes for this thread
A thread for real estate, architectural, and interior design photography
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Architecture, Real-Estate & Buildings 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.