Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
Thread started 26 Jul 2016 (Tuesday) 11:09
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Can post processing make up for less than stellar lens quality

Alveric
Goldmember
4,464 posts
Gallery: 36 photos
Joined Jan 2011

Jul 26, 2016 20:24 |  #16

Just throw your camera in the dumpster and use your smartphone. Apply all of those fancy filters and effects and photoshop away. You'll end up with a winner every time.

'The success of the second-rate is deplorable in itself; but it is more deplorable in that it very often obscures the genuine masterpiece. If the crowd runs after the false, it must neglect the true.' —Arthur Machen
Why 'The Histogram' Sux (external link)

sponsored links
Scottboarding
515 posts
Gallery: 110 photos
Joined May 2016

Aug 02, 2016 00:18 |  #17

I'm not sure what you're expecting from your lenses, but the Sigma 17-50mm is the sharpest lens I've used. I used my friend's 24-105L for a video shoot one time, and I was really disappointed in the sharpness. I would never give up my Sigma for the 24-105 as long as I'm on a crop body. Perhaps my friend had a bad copy of the lens because I tried everything I could to make it sharp. At first I thought it was out of focus; so I tried contrast detect AF, and it was still really soft. I extremely slowly manual focused it, and I saw it go in and out of focus, but when it was in focus, it was just plain old soft. I don't see what you feel like you're missing by using the Sigma 17-50mm as opposed to the Canon 17-55mm. I know many people who are extremely happy with the sigma; plus it's much smaller than the Canon.

Gear: https://photography-on-the.net …showthread.php?​p=18556308
Flickr: https://www.flickr.com​/photos/130385961@N05/ (external link)

MalVeauX
"Looks rough and well used"
12,786 posts
Gallery: 1179 photos
Best ofs: 3
Joined Feb 2013

Aug 02, 2016 00:39 |  #18

Hrm,

Yes and no?

Depends on what properties you mean. Sharpness? Pretty close. All the hype everyone goes nuts over when something even sharper gets released but if you really look at the sharpness of the final product compared to a softer lenses's final product, you can't really tell in most real world photographs that have both been processed. It used to be that you couldn't really duplicate the look that super telephotos give with maximum aperture and long focal length, like the 200 F2, but, it's getting closer and it's to the point where the wizards can take a full depth of field photo and make it very difficult to tell that it was not shot with a telephoto with maximum aperture and/or with a large sensor format. Micro-contrast is hard to duplicate without a lot of complex work, so that's at least something, but again at the end of the day if two photos are made and processed, is it going to be night & day? Not really. You can go on and on in this method really. Remember you're working in a digital medium, so I would expect that digital manipulation would get better and better. And it is.

That said, how much time & effort do you want to put into it? When I see videos on how to process certain things, it takes a long time really, even with actions. For some wizards, this is second nature and it goes faster. For someone only skimming the surface, it takes a long time. Mean while, with better gear, getting top quality available, is that not a means to remove something from that digital work flow perhaps? There's something to be said about that maybe.

Really, to what extent are we really stating that processing is making up for a low quality lens? In what way really that matters to the final image? Post processing won't fix an out of focus image after all. A poor lens with rotten AF performance will be hard to be made up for, compared to something that is fast and locks on tight (body not considered here, due to subject). You get the idea...

This sounds awfully more like a chart comparison, rather than photography though. A good composition and purposeful capture is what makes a photograph a photograph and not just a snapshot or pointless random collection of photo reflections.

I will admit, the stuff people are doing with post processing is crazy compared to back in the 90's and early 2000's even.

Some really interesting ways post processing can totally change an image and make it seem like different gear was used (ie, looks like a super tele was used):

https://www.youtube.co​m …4P6jSEo&index=1​66&list=WL (external link)
https://www.youtube.co​m/watch?v=lStzXwWC5O8 (external link)

Very best,

My Flickr (external link) :: My Astrobin (external link)

tonylong
...winded
54,657 posts
Gallery: 60 photos
Joined Sep 2007

Aug 02, 2016 03:19 |  #19

Well, this is an interesting discussion, given the progress we've seen over the years, both in photogrsph gear and in post processing software!

one thing to bear in mind is that the colection of compact, bridge, point and shoot and cell phone cameras can take pretty dang good photos in the right hands, and whith a bit of post-processing, would want to be the judge? And, back in the old days, good darkroom work could make the difference between an Ansel Adams masterpiece and a quick snapshot of the same scene!

It's also true that some folks get into "GAS" (Gear Acquisition Syndrome) and for many folks, it's about the best and greatest gear...

Points to ponder, though -- even though post-processing can indeed enhance a photo an can indeed correct various problems, I still don't see it as a replacement for high-quality gear. I mean, there were major reasons why I made the move to good quality gear, even though I did get some nice shots with my "other" gear, and even though apps like Photoshop and then Lightroom certainly helped to "enhance" those photos, still, a major part of my growth in photography was to take on new challenges both in what I wanted to capture and in the quality of those captures. Think of action scenes, maybe a sport or people or animals on the move, birds in flight, say, or a subject at a considerable distance, try to get good captures of those things with cheap gear and, well, you will likely encounter problems that post processing just won't fix!

And then, when it comes to the "magic" of post processing, well yeah, and I spent countless hours and days learning to work over my photos. I don't regret that, but remember the old saying "Time is money". Or, for us non-professionals, you could say that "Time is life spent". In this discussion, spending hours trying to make a suffering photo look "good" is truly "Life spent"!

Tony
Two Canon cameras (5DC, 30D), three Canon lenses (24-105, 100-400, 100mm macro)
Tony Long Photos on PBase (external link)
Wildlife project pics here (external link), Biking Photog shoots here (external link), "Suburbia" project here (external link)! Mount St. Helens, Mount Hood pics here (external link)

kirkt
Cream of the Crop
5,580 posts
Joined Feb 2008

Aug 02, 2016 09:45 |  #20

Part of this discussion also depends on the sensor. As sensors get more and more photo sites packed into them and the resolution of the sensors increases, poor optics will break down and you will see all of the deficiencies in their full 50MP, non-AA filtered glory. Not just aberrations and distortions, but lack of resolving power and micro contrast. The trend toward higher and higher resolution sensors will make these deficiencies more apparent.

There are corrections and techniques you can use to clean up a non-corrected lens with diffraction, poor resolving power, etc. Will it make the lens appear as if it performs like a well-corrected, high resolution lens? No. Some lenses provide correction that make them able to shoot scenes that similar focal length lenses simply could not due to flare, aberrations, distortion etc. that would make post processing a nightmare. Of course, it is trendy nowadays to shoot with the intention of making a flare-prone image with lack of contrast, for example, so that might be desirable. Lenses each have their own rendering style that shapes the nature of the light falling on the sensor - this is not a simple task to emulate.

In the end, it depends on your goal of final output and what you consider acceptable; however, there are reasons that fine optics are desirable and may be worth the expense. If you are considering purchasing an expensive lens, it may be worthwhile to rent one first to see how it works with your camera bodies and if the expense is justified for your shooting style, image content and final output.

kirk

Kirk
---

tekin112000
THREAD ­ STARTER
182 posts
Joined Apr 2008

Aug 02, 2016 09:51 |  #21

Scottboarding wrote in post #18084222 (external link)
I'm not sure what you're expecting from your lenses, but the Sigma 17-50mm is the sharpest lens I've used. I used my friend's 24-105L for a video shoot one time, and I was really disappointed in the sharpness. I would never give up my Sigma for the 24-105 as long as I'm on a crop body. Perhaps my friend had a bad copy of the lens because I tried everything I could to make it sharp. At first I thought it was out of focus; so I tried contrast detect AF, and it was still really soft. I extremely slowly manual focused it, and I saw it go in and out of focus, but when it was in focus, it was just plain old soft. I don't see what you feel like you're missing by using the Sigma 17-50mm as opposed to the Canon 17-55mm. I know many people who are extremely happy with the sigma; plus it's much smaller than the Canon.

I am not sure that a Canon lens is better than my Sigma. I was only using it as an example because I own a Sigma and had considered buying a Canon lens.

The point was to open a discusion. Could one use software to make up the perceived or real performance gap between less expensive lenses and the most expensive

Vinnie, don't put too many onions in the sauce

Wilt
Reader's Digest Condensed version of War and Peace [POTN Vol 1]
40,357 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2005
Post edited over 2 years ago by Wilt. (3 edits in all)

Aug 02, 2016 10:29 |  #22

tekin112000 wrote in post #18084471 (external link)
The point was to open a discusion. Could one use software to make up the perceived or real performance gap between less expensive lenses and the most expensive

One needs to consider that a lens' performance is a composite of multiple characteristics (not an exhaustive list, but some of the most important):

1. spatial resolution
  2. contrast
  3. acutance (what is considered by most as 'sharpness')
  4. freedom from chromatic abberation (focuses all colors at same point)
  5. freedom from spherical abberation
  6. freedom from barrel/pincushion distortion
  7. out-of-focus area characteristics ('bokeh')

The items in the list are sometimes interrelated.
MTF rating is the result of a combination of 1, 2, 3, 4
#7 is the result of how much correction of #5..and you can create bad #7 by overcorrecting spherical distortion
#6 is independent of the other parameters

Post processing software might improve upon #2 and #3 without changing #1
Post processing software might be able to fix #4 and #6 without improving other characteristics
But in general, software cannot make piece of coal look like a diamond.

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost! Keep POTN alive and well with member support https://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention

Alveric
Goldmember
4,464 posts
Gallery: 36 photos
Joined Jan 2011

Aug 02, 2016 12:09 |  #23

Wilt wrote in post #18084501 (external link)
[..] in general, software cannot make piece of coal look like a diamond.

Yup: no matter how much lipstick you put on a pig, it remains a pig.

'The success of the second-rate is deplorable in itself; but it is more deplorable in that it very often obscures the genuine masterpiece. If the crowd runs after the false, it must neglect the true.' —Arthur Machen
Why 'The Histogram' Sux (external link)

DreDaze
happy with myself for not saying anything stupid
17,840 posts
Gallery: 24 photos
Joined Mar 2006

Aug 02, 2016 12:22 |  #24

He lenses he's talking about are already good lenses though...

Andre or Dre
gear list
Instagram (external link)
flickr (external link)

Perfectly ­ Frank
I'm too sexy for my lens
3,761 posts
Gallery: 48 photos
Joined Oct 2010

Aug 02, 2016 12:29 |  #25

tekin112000 wrote in post #18078103 (external link)
Software can now reduce vignetting, distortion, chromatic aberation and probably others I don't know about.

Can these capabilities make it possible to narrow the performance gap between third party lenses, Tokina, Sigma and high priced Canon L lenses?

Many of Canon lenses offer 4 stops of image stabilization, and it works very well. But not all lenses do - some have a lesser amount
of IS or no IS at all. This difference may show up in images shot at slow shutter speeds.

Photoshop's CC has a camera shake reduction feature, which in some cases can improve a photo's sharpness.
In the example that follows, I believe the initial image softness was due to the photographer and not the lens.
But Photoshop's feature can be a benefit with lenses without IS.

Note, this is not my flickr post...credit goes to Liz.

https://www.flickr.com …26/in/faves-31267310@N05/ (external link)

My flickr albums (external link)
My Best Aviation Photos (external link)

Tom ­ Reichner
"I am a little creepy"
12,154 posts
Gallery: 140 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2008
Post edited over 2 years ago by Tom Reichner.

Aug 02, 2016 12:58 |  #26

tekin112000 wrote in post #18084471 (external link)
The point was to open a discusion. Could one use software to make up the perceived or real performance gap between less expensive lenses and the most expensive?

I think that you are making an assumption that a less expensive lens is of less quality than a more expensive lens. There are certainly differences in lens quality, but these differences are not always mirrored in the price of the lens.

For the types of images I shoot, software cannot compensate for quality optics. Why? Because I am usually trying to accurately capture extremely fine detail. The birds and mammals I shoot are covered with many thousands of individual feathers and hairs. I usually want my photos to show every individual hair, and for each hair to be sharp and distinct from the hairs next to it. If I don't get that degree of detail in the initial capture, then I missed the shot, and there is nothing that any software in the world can do to get each hair and each feather to look exactly as it did in real life.

There are exceptions to what I said above; times when the fine detail is not essential to the success of an image. Silhouettes would be one of these exceptions, and for many of the silhouettes that I shoot, I could get away with lower quality optics and be able to edit the images in such a way that the adverse effects of the lens would be reversed with the use of editing software. It's when there is a ton of very fine detail that software can't help.

For other genres maybe software can help to make up for poor optics, because the subject matter consists of relatively large areas that are without much fine detail. But when you want to clearly show hundreds or thousands or tens of thousands of individual hairs and feathers, then you really need good optics in the first place.

"Your" and "you're" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"They're", "their", and "there" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"Fare" and "fair" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one. The proper expression is "moot point", NOT "mute point".

TustinMike
Goldmember
3,408 posts
Gallery: 32 photos
Joined Feb 2011
Post edited over 2 years ago by TustinMike.

Aug 02, 2016 17:03 as a reply to  @ Tom Reichner's post |  #27

^ You make a good point, and I agree - all other things being equal, I think you're right.

All New Year, All New Sig !

chauncey
Cream of the Crop
9,696 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jun 2007

Aug 02, 2016 17:43 |  #28

I cannot recall the last time that I squeezed that shutter that fine detail wasn't important.

The things you do for yourself die with you, the things you do for others live forever.
A man's worth should be judged, not when he basks in the sun, but how he faces the storm.

My stuff...http://1x.com/member/c​hauncey43 (external link)

sjones
Goldmember
2,208 posts
Joined Aug 2005

Aug 02, 2016 18:16 |  #29

To some extent, all of this depends on the OP’s perception of image quality and delineation, whereby software might be sufficient...or not.

Most modern lenses and a good many antiquated ones would meet my needs in terms of image quality, so I have nothing further to add in regards to software’s compensating assets.

Oh, and don’t forget about overall character, which is the more subjective rendering that can vary among even objectively technically sophisticated lenses.

Summer 2017 (external link)
Eggleston's photography is superb. Deal with it!
It's the Photographer (external link) | God Loves Photoshop (external link)

Nightstalker
Goldmember
1,666 posts
Joined Feb 2007

Aug 03, 2016 12:11 |  #30

Look at it this way - however good you are at software manipulation - garbage in = garbage out.

PS etc. can really improve an image but if the detail is not there then you can't bring it out.

When I stared I had the usual 70-300mm zoom and the images were OK, I was happy.

I managed to borrow a 70-200 F2.8L from a mate and tried it back to back - I ended up giving the 70-300 away within 2 weeks as I realised I'd never use it again as the images were just not sharp enough.

Initially I thought my technique was at fault, but the back to back comparison proved that I was doing it right - the kit was just not up to the job.

sponsored links

6,886 views & 9 likes for this thread
Can post processing make up for less than stellar lens quality
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.