Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Astronomy & Celestial 
Thread started 03 Aug 2016 (Wednesday) 17:30
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

cloudy night sky

andymanty
173 posts
Gallery: 81 photos
Joined Jan 2014

Aug 03, 2016 17:30 |  #1

cloudy night sky

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

TCampbell
452 posts
Gallery: 13 photos
Joined Apr 2012

Aug 05, 2016 10:49 |  #2

Very nice... you've got Corona Borealis (the "Northern Crown"), a bit of Boötes, part of Hercules, part of Ophiuchus in the shot.

If the camera had been pointed just a tiny bit higher then you would have captured the globular cluster M13 (aka the "Hercules Cluster") a tight ball of stars that orbits the Milky Way galaxy in a kind of halo region and is home to about 200,000 stars all in one tight spot.

twists ­ n ­ turns
180 posts
Gallery: 12 photos
Joined Apr 2016
Post edited over 4 years ago by twists n turns. (3 edits in all)

Aug 05, 2016 20:35 |  #3

Nice. Got a similar shot myself a couple of weeks ago il post, hope you dont mind...

HOSTED PHOTO

Very new to the whole night photography side of things. Just messing about really, but i liked this one...

Im just hoping TCampell will tell me what i have in mine!  :p Googled the Hercules cluster. That's something else!

TCampbell
452 posts
Gallery: 13 photos
Joined Apr 2012

Aug 06, 2016 14:35 |  #4

twists n turns wrote in post #18087678 (external link)
Nice. Got a similar shot myself a couple of weeks ago il post, hope you dont mind...

thumbnail
Hosted photo: posted by twists n turns in
./showthread.php?p=180​87678&i=i50560159
forum: Astronomy & Celestial

Very new to the whole night photography side of things. Just messing about really, but i liked this one...

Im just hoping TCampell will tell me what i have in mine!  :p Googled the Hercules cluster. That's something else!

You essentially captured the same part of the sky, but with a lower focal length lens - so you have a larger area of sky in your image.

Here's the view of sky in your image:

HOSTED PHOTO

The globular cluster M3 and M5 are both in your image. M3 is probably behind the clouds, but I actually do *see* M5 in the image. M51, the Whirlpool Galaxy, is also in your image but appears to be obstructed by clouds. M13, the Hercules cluster, is just a bit outside the frame (off the top edge.)

If you point your camera to the North-East at around 11pm (or later) and you have reasonably dark skies then you should *easily* be able to image the Andromeda Galaxy.

Andromeda is huge -- not just in the sense that it's bigger than our own galaxy -- but also in the sense of how much of the sky it occupies. It's about 3º wide. The full-moon is about 1/2º wide. That makes the Andromeda galaxy roughly 6x wider than the width of the full moon!

twists ­ n ­ turns
180 posts
Gallery: 12 photos
Joined Apr 2016

Aug 08, 2016 03:37 as a reply to  @ TCampbell's post |  #5

Thanks man! Great info. Def going to have more of a crack at night photos.

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

2,168 views & 4 likes for this thread
cloudy night sky
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Astronomy & Celestial 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.