Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment People 
Thread started 30 May 2006 (Tuesday) 01:47
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Post your best wife shots

Lunatique
383 posts
Gallery: 134 photos
Joined Jul 2003

Jul 30, 2016 13:52 |  #7816

dragon76 wrote in post #18081713 (external link)
thumbnail
Hosted photo: posted by dragon76 in
./showthread.php?p=180​81713&i=i198501148
forum: People

That is a crazy shot! The contrast of a dressed up woman with a purse sitting in an exotic/dangerous location creates this interesting cognitive dissonance.

My website (art, music, photography, writing): http://www.ethereality​.info/ (external link)

sponsored links
WishfulDoing
300 posts
Joined Sep 2015

Jul 30, 2016 14:52 |  #7817

Lunatique wrote in post #18081980 (external link)
[...] an exotic/dangerous location [...]

... which is normally overcrowded and therefore a very difficult shooting location...

dragon76
125 posts
Gallery: 48 photos
Joined Dec 2014

Jul 31, 2016 20:09 |  #7818

WishfulDoing wrote in post #18082016 (external link)
... which is normally overcrowded and therefore a very difficult shooting location...

Actually, this location was quite secluded but yes, it was very difficult to shoot as it was hard to make our way down. There was not much space to stand to compose & the waves were constantly crashing against the rocks and spraying upward into the camera. I originally planned to use AB 800 with ND & Octa but the wind was to strong so I had to wing it with SB910 on a bracket. :-)

www.deannita.com

TheShutterMonkey
237 posts
Gallery: 181 photos
Best ofs: 3
Joined Jul 2016

Jul 31, 2016 23:07 |  #7819

IMAGE: https://c8.staticflickr.com/9/8054/8121338463_30a3ca80fc_b.jpg
IMAGE LINK: https://flic.kr/p/dnDY​YX  (external link) Dianna (external link) by Ken (external link), on Flickr

Lunatique
383 posts
Joined Jul 2003
Post edited over 2 years ago by Lunatique.

Aug 03, 2016 02:26 |  #7820

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

EDIT: Something's wrong with the colors when I uploaded this image. The yellows and greens are less saturated than they should be in the top portion with the leaves and fruits. What could be causing that? Never seen it happen before.

My website (art, music, photography, writing): http://www.ethereality​.info/ (external link)

vk2gwk
Cream of the Crop
12,576 posts
Gallery: 241 photos
Joined Jun 2009

Aug 03, 2016 03:45 as a reply to  @ Lunatique's post |  #7821

Not so much a problem with the colours. But did you focus on her eyes? I think the focus is more on the breast and details of the vest. Nice shot though. - but for the focus.

My name is Henk. and I believe "It is all in the eye of the beholder....."
Image Editing is allowed. Please explain what you did!
5D MkIV 5DMkIII, 50D, 24-105/1:4L IS USM + 100-400/4-5.6L IS USM + 50mm 1.4 USM + Tamron 70-200mm F/2.8 VC + Sigma 150-600mm Sports + 580EXII + 430EX + YN568EXII, triggers, reflectors, umbrellas and some more bits and pieces...
Photos on: Flickr! (external link) and on my own web site. (external link)

rrblint
Listen! .... do you smell something?
22,232 posts
Gallery: 38 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined May 2012

Aug 03, 2016 08:15 |  #7822

Looks good to me. I like the focus a little soft on her face. Wow, what a beautiful smile!

Mark

wallstreetoneil
Goldmember
2,086 posts
Gallery: 14 photos
Joined Nov 2014

Aug 03, 2016 12:09 |  #7823

rrblint wrote in post #18085322 (external link)
Looks good to me. I like the focus a little soft on her face. Wow, what a beautiful smile!

At f1.8 you can't afford to miss the eyes. My guess given the camera listed, is that a large area of focus was used and it grabbed the chest as mentioned above - would have worked at F3.5 but not F1.8.

Hockey and wedding photographer. Favourite camera / lens combos: a 1DX II with a Tamron 45 1.8 VC, an A7Rii with a Canon 24-70F2.8L II, and a 5DSR with a Tamron 85 1.8 VC. Every lens I own I strongly recommend [Canon (35Lii, 100L Macro, 24-70F2.8ii, 70-200F2.8ii, 100-400Lii), Tamron (45 1.8, 85 1.8), Sigma 24-105]. If there are better lenses out there let me know because I haven't found them.

rrblint
22,232 posts
Joined May 2012

Aug 03, 2016 13:57 |  #7824

wallstreetoneil wrote in post #18085487 (external link)
At f1.8 you can't afford to miss the eyes. My guess given the camera listed, is that a large area of focus was used and it grabbed the chest as mentioned above - would have worked at F3.5 but not F1.8.

I like the face being soft. Horses for courses.

Mark

Lunatique
383 posts
Joined Jul 2003

Aug 03, 2016 20:57 |  #7825

vk2gwk wrote in post #18085214 (external link)
Not so much a problem with the colours. But did you focus on her eyes? I think the focus is more on the breast and details of the vest. Nice shot though. - but for the focus.

I figured out why the colors were off. It's because of a Chrome extension that changes the colors of web pages I use, called "Stylish." You can download different themes for different websites or global themes, so for example if you hate white backgrounds of websites, you can change them to dark themes. The theme I was using somehow lowers the saturation of the yellows and greens in that photo, but it doesn't affect other colors.

As for focus on her eyes, it wasn't pinpoint sharp, but wasn't too bad either. Here's a 100% crop:

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

When I shoot with the E-M1, I have face recognition and eye-focus turned on, so the camera will focus on the nearest eye, and I think I used the smallest focal point placed about 1/3 of the way up, in the middle, so it's very close to where her eyes were when I took the shot. I think I had it on single-shot AF and not continuous AF--not totally sure.

It's annoying when the focus isn't perfect on the eyes, and I hate it when I have a really good shot but the focus is so off that I just can't use it. In this case, it's not bad enough to ruin the shot for me, since having captured her facial expression and body language and overall aura was enough to make it a keeper for me.

Lunatique
383 posts
Joined Jul 2003

Aug 03, 2016 21:02 |  #7826

rrblint wrote in post #18085584 (external link)
I like the face being soft. Horses for courses.

Some people think when shooting people, the eyes have to be in perfect tack-sharp focus. Some even want all the features that sharp and hate it when only the eyes or one eye is in focus. For me, because I'm a huge fan of impressionist painters, I don't mind it sometimes when photography take on that impressionistic quality, where having perfect sharpness isn't a requirement for a beautiful image. This is especially true if the photo captures something expressive and evocative.

russ71satellite
Goldmember
2,289 posts
Gallery: 73 photos
Joined Sep 2011

Aug 03, 2016 21:17 |  #7827

IMAGE: https://c4.staticflickr.com/9/8108/28526459515_27620d518b_b.jpg
IMAGE LINK: https://flic.kr/p/KsMy​yT  (external link) terrirainydayjuly (external link) by Rj2 photoconcepts (external link), on Flickr

Canon EOS 5D, 85mm 1.8, 50mm 1.8, Yongnuo YN560II, Dynaphos strobe, 16 inch beauty dish, Vagabond mini.
https://www.facebook.c​om/Rj2photoconcepts1?r​ef=h (external link)
https://www.flickr.com …s/rj2_photoconc​epts/page1 (external link)flickr

rrblint
22,232 posts
Joined May 2012

Aug 03, 2016 22:14 |  #7828

Lunatique wrote in post #18085873 (external link)
Some people think when shooting people, the eyes have to be in perfect tack-sharp focus. Some even want all the features that sharp and hate it when only the eyes or one eye is in focus. For me, because I'm a huge fan of impressionist painters, I don't mind it sometimes when photography take on that impressionistic quality, where having perfect sharpness isn't a requirement for a beautiful image. This is especially true if the photo captures something expressive and evocative.

Looks great to me. Back in film days we had what was called a soft-focus filter. It produced a soft glow around the subject and looked great particularly on women and they loved it. I used to use it quite frequently, at least one roll for each shoot.

Mark

wallstreetoneil
Goldmember
2,086 posts
Gallery: 14 photos
Joined Nov 2014
Post edited over 2 years ago by wallstreetoneil.

Aug 04, 2016 04:01 |  #7829

Lunatique wrote in post #18085870 (external link)
I figured out why the colors were off. It's because of a Chrome extension that changes the colors of web pages I use, called "Stylish." You can download different themes for different websites or global themes, so for example if you hate white backgrounds of websites, you can change them to dark themes. The theme I was using somehow lowers the saturation of the yellows and greens in that photo, but it doesn't affect other colors.

As for focus on her eyes, it wasn't pinpoint sharp, but wasn't too bad either. Here's a 100% crop:

thumbnail
Hosted photo: posted by Lunatique in
./showthread.php?p=180​85870&i=i136672601

When I shoot with the E-M1, I have face recognition and eye-focus turned on, so the camera will focus on the nearest eye, and I think I used the smallest focal point placed about 1/3 of the way up, in the middle, so it's very close to where her eyes were when I took the shot. I think I had it on single-shot AF and not continuous AF--not totally sure.

It's annoying when the focus isn't perfect on the eyes, and I hate it when I have a really good shot but the focus is so off that I just can't use it. In this case, it's not bad enough to ruin the shot for me, since having captured her facial expression and body language and overall aura was enough to make it a keeper for me.

Thanks for posting this follow up. Before I wrote what I did, I was going to add but didn't, that the appearance initially of a lack of Sharpness on the eyes could be a slight brown eye illusion effect I have seen in certain situations.

I'm not saying it is happening here but the close up is sharper than I would have thought.

I have found this brown eye effect to be real in certain light and it bugs me that it is because I'm one of those people that likes the eye very sharp. Anyways, my observation is that people with lighter colour eyes never have this happen as the camera sees through and picks up additional colours in the eye making it appear sharp but if you have a certain colour of brown and the light is hitting the eye in a certain way you can get a look that appears hazy and your brain immediately says it isn't sharp because you can't see detail - I think some of that is happening here.

Thanks for the follow-up.

Hockey and wedding photographer. Favourite camera / lens combos: a 1DX II with a Tamron 45 1.8 VC, an A7Rii with a Canon 24-70F2.8L II, and a 5DSR with a Tamron 85 1.8 VC. Every lens I own I strongly recommend [Canon (35Lii, 100L Macro, 24-70F2.8ii, 70-200F2.8ii, 100-400Lii), Tamron (45 1.8, 85 1.8), Sigma 24-105]. If there are better lenses out there let me know because I haven't found them.

mike_311
Checking squirrels nuts
3,761 posts
Gallery: 18 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Mar 2011

Aug 04, 2016 08:37 |  #7830

Lunatique wrote in post #18085870 (external link)

thumbnail
Hosted photo: posted by Lunatique in
./showthread.php?p=180​85870&i=i136672601

have you tried using the focus peaking and shooting manual focus? i hope it becomes standard on DSLRs.

Canon 5d mkii | Canon 17-40/4L | Tamron 24-70/2.8 | Canon 85/1.8 | Canon 135/2L
www.michaelalestraphot​ography.com (external link)
Flickr (external link) | 500px (external link) | About me

sponsored links

4,084,167 views & 9,804 likes for this thread
Post your best wife shots
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment People 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.