Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Community Talk, Chatter & Official Stuff AMASS Forum Software Talk 
Thread started 03 Aug 2016 (Wednesday) 10:29
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Poster's location no longer seen

Wilt
Reader's Digest Condensed version of War and Peace [POTN Vol 1]
41,365 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2005

Aug 03, 2016 10:29 |  #1

It used to be that you could see the message poster's location, but I just recently noticed that this is no longer visible!

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost! Keep POTN alive and well with member support https://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention

sponsored links
Wilt
THREAD ­ STARTER
41,365 posts
Joined Aug 2005
Post edited over 2 years ago by Wilt. (2 edits in all)

Aug 03, 2016 10:33 |  #2

I just read that location may or may not be shown depending upon message length.

So I will add a bunch of garbage to test this theory
.a klasu kl lkasd poiuasd ';asdfj ';lasdf
klasu kl lkasd poiuasd ';asdfj ';lasdf

Aha...my location shows up! OK, I hadn't noticed that before. Nevermind my thread, I have been obviously asleep at the wheel for a long time.

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost! Keep POTN alive and well with member support https://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention

Scrumhalf
Cream of the Crop
6,294 posts
Gallery: 40 photos
Joined Jul 2012
Post edited over 2 years ago by Scrumhalf.

Aug 03, 2016 10:34 |  #3

Not long enough, I guess. I still don't see it.

Sam
5D4 | 6D | 7D2 (2 bodies) | Reasonably good glass
Gear List

flickr (external link)
If I don't get the shots I want with the gear I have, the only optics I need to examine is the mirror on the bathroom wall. The root cause will be there.

Scrumhalf
Cream of the Crop
6,294 posts
Gallery: 40 photos
Joined Jul 2012

Aug 03, 2016 10:38 |  #4

It's very interesting.

I am viewing this thread on my phone in portrait mode and still don't see your location. However, when I turn it around to landscape mode and refresh the screen, it shows up. Turn it back to portrait mode and refresh screen, it disappears. It must be a function of both the post length and aspect ratio of the page.

Sam
5D4 | 6D | 7D2 (2 bodies) | Reasonably good glass
Gear List

flickr (external link)
If I don't get the shots I want with the gear I have, the only optics I need to examine is the mirror on the bathroom wall. The root cause will be there.

PhotosGuy
75,766 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Feb 2004

Aug 03, 2016 11:44 |  #5

I see it in post #2. Not in #1.

FrankC - 20D, RAW, Manual everything...
Classic Carz, Racing, Air Show, Flowers.
Find the light... A few Car Lighting Tips, and MOVE YOUR FEET!
Have you thought about making your own book? // Need an exposure crutch?
New Image Size Limits: Image must not exceed 1600 pixels on any side.

Picture ­ North ­ Carolina
Gaaaaa! DOH!! Oops!
9,108 posts
Joined Apr 2006
Post edited over 2 years ago by Picture North Carolina.

Aug 05, 2016 10:59 |  #6

Wilt wrote in post #18085423 (external link)
Aha...my location shows up! OK, I hadn't noticed that before.

Not for me. No locations on any post at any time. After clicking More Info, yea. But none otherwise. Weirdness.

Edit: and I see my location on my post, but still none on any others. Double weirdness.

Website (external link) |

PJmak
685 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Feb 2009

Aug 05, 2016 11:02 |  #7

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

Viewbug (external link)

Gaaaaa! DOH!! Oops!
9,108 posts
Joined Apr 2006

Aug 05, 2016 11:20 |  #8

TRIPLE weirdness!

I am NOT seeing Belmont, CA in Wilt's second post as was just posted !

Wilt
THREAD ­ STARTER
41,365 posts
Joined Aug 2005
Post edited over 2 years ago by Wilt.

Aug 05, 2016 11:50 |  #9

Picture North Carolina wrote in post #18087261 (external link)
TRIPLE weirdness!

I am NOT seeing Belmont, CA in Wilt's second post as was just posted !

Are you using a smartphone to access POTN, rather than a PC?
If PC, what resolution monitor?
If smartphone, which brand/model?

Gaaaaa! DOH!! Oops!
9,108 posts
Joined Apr 2006

Aug 05, 2016 20:07 as a reply to  @ Wilt's post |  #10

PC strictly. Never accessed potn with a tablet, phone, notebook... not even my laptop.

Monitor is an IPS 24" panel with a native res of 1920 x 1200, but I only use that for graphics. All web browsing everywhere is done at 1680 x 1050.

Additionally, I toggled the + and - keys (browser font scaling) up and down and reset the browser to 0 to make sure that was not it. It's not. No effect.

I've come to the conclusion it's a conspiracy thingy. Pekka undoubtedly wants to take over the world. People with locations are identified so that Pekka's troops can eliminate them. Those hidden are part of Pekka's army. I'm wondering when Pekka will make his move. Might be a good time to mention my step-father and two half-sisters are Fins, so I should get a free pass. Just sayin'.

Gaaaaa! DOH!! Oops!
9,108 posts
Joined Apr 2006
Post edited over 2 years ago by Picture North Carolina.

Aug 06, 2016 16:59 |  #11

Just bought and installed a new monitor. 27", running at native res 1920 x 1080. Not seeing either of Wilt's locations. In fact, not seeing any locations on any user other than myself.

A bug? Perhaps it's somehow tied with the FYEO setting of visibility. Don't know. BTW - Firefox, 45.0.1. No biggie. Don't really care. Just thought I would add my 2 cents to help Pekka.

Pekka
El General Moderator
17,711 posts
Gallery: 35 photos
Best ofs: 7
Joined Mar 2001

Aug 21, 2016 07:18 |  #12

Picture North Carolina wrote in post #18088380 (external link)
Just bought and installed a new monitor. 27", running at native res 1920 x 1080. Not seeing either of Wilt's locations. In fact, not seeing any locations on any user other than myself.

I cannot verify that problem, sorry, but:

A bug? Perhaps it's somehow tied with the FYEO setting of visibility. Don't know. BTW - Firefox, 45.0.1. No biggie. Don't really care. Just thought I would add my 2 cents to help Pekka.

I have revised that code for the next version, so that while keeping post height low, all these items are always shown:

post count
gallery count
best of count
likes count

Items are only shown if there is something to show, i.e. if there are no likes, like count is not shown. If there is no location set, location is not shown etc.

The post height optimizer will then, on posts with low content and zero images, alter the list output to a comma-delimited string and also change size of the avatar - IF there is need for it. The need depends on post length, member info content, browser window resolution, font size choice etc. But in all cases all items will be shown, none are hidden any more.

Examples from version 1.5 (second one has one debug info plate which is not seen on public version).

HOSTED PHOTO

HOSTED PHOTO

The Forum Boss, El General Moderator
AMASS 2.1 Changelog (installed here now)

Wilt
THREAD ­ STARTER
41,365 posts
Joined Aug 2005

Aug 21, 2016 10:33 |  #13

I am truly impressed...Pekka actually reads my posts, and then decides to do something about it! :-D

Gaaaaa! DOH!! Oops!
9,108 posts
Joined Apr 2006

Aug 22, 2016 09:19 |  #14

Pekka wrote in post #18101560 (external link)
I have revised that code for the next version, so that while keeping post height low, all these items are always shown:

post count
gallery count
best of count
likes count

Thank you for replying to my post, Pekka. Those post constants will be very helpful to all.

sponsored links

2,447 views & 3 likes for this thread
Poster's location no longer seen
FORUMS Community Talk, Chatter & Official Stuff AMASS Forum Software Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.