Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 06 Aug 2016 (Saturday) 05:15
Search threadPrev/next
POLL: "Which lenses would you use for a fashionshoot with architecture ?"
24-70 2.8L MKI
100%
50 1.4 Art
0%
85 1.2L MKI
0%
135 F2L
0%
70-200 2.8L II
0%

2 voters, 2 votes given (1 choice only choices can be voted per member)). VOTING IS FOR MEMBERS ONLY.
BROWSE ALL POLLS
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Which lenses would you use for a fashionshoot with modern architecture ?

CanonYouCan
Goldmember
1,480 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Oct 2010
Post edited over 2 years ago by CanonYouCan. (2 edits in all)

Aug 06, 2016 05:15 |  #1

I plan to do an outdoor fashionshoot in combination with architecture.
As I cannot use all of my portrait lenses (the model would get bored switching so much :-) which ones would you use and why ?

I plan some with the model + building on it, some halfbody and close-ups.
I think the 24-70 + 70-200, I would love to use my 50 1.4Art for halfbody but switching 3 lenses seems a bit much.
With the 85 1.2L wide open the background would dissapear, and I would like to see some background.

Probably with a softbox, modern buildings have a lot of glass, I will try to avoid reflections.
Example : http://3.bp.blogspot.c​om …e6a84cf6eeb07ee​c87cce.png (external link)

Second question : are there any famous fashion + modern architecture photographers that I can follow ? (may be on the forum here also)

Sony A7 III | Metabones V | Canon 17-40 F4 L | 24-70 2.8 L | 70-200 2.8L II
Sigma 50 1.4 Art | Sigma 85 1.4 Art

Lighting : Godox AD600B TTL + Godox V860II-S + X1T-S
Modifiers: 60cm Collapsible Silver Beautydish + grid | Godox 120cm Octagon softbox + grid
Tripod: Vanguard Alta 253CT carbon

sponsored links
SkipD
Cream of the Crop
20,475 posts
Joined Dec 2002

Aug 06, 2016 05:32 |  #2

For anyone to give you an intelligent suggestion for lens choice, they would have to understand what the area is like where you intend to do the shoot. Without that knowledge, any suggestions would be virtually useless in my opinion.

If you have a case with all of the lenses in it, take it and use whatever works for the particular situation you are in. Changing lenses is not what I would consider an issue. Not having any idea what you want to do with the client and the location, on the other hand, could be a problem.

Skip Douglas
A few cameras and over 50 years behind them .....
..... but still learning all the time.

CheshireCat
Goldmember
2,303 posts
Joined Oct 2008

Aug 06, 2016 10:52 |  #3

Agree with Skip.

Anyways, without any other info, it is 24-70 for me.
I would also invest in a second body.

1Dx, 5D2 and some lenses

CanonYouCan
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,480 posts
Joined Oct 2010

Aug 06, 2016 15:42 |  #4

Wel the area is modern architecture as mentionned = modern buildings, tight

Modifiers: 60cm Collapsible Silver Beautydish + grid | Godox 120cm Octagon softbox + grid

SkipD
Cream of the Crop
20,475 posts
Joined Dec 2002
Post edited over 2 years ago by SkipD.

Aug 06, 2016 16:18 |  #5

CanonYouCan wrote in post #18088319 (external link)
Wel the area is modern architecture as mentionned = modern buildings, tight

That description does nothing for me. I'd need photographs and/or drawings that are to scale of the space you have in mind in addition to some description of your subject and ideas for what you want to produce.

When choosing a focal length for a particular task, I first find the location that I want to make the photograph from (the camera location) based on the perspective (relative sizes of objects at different distances from the camera) that the distances to the subject (and other objects that would be in the image) would produce. Of course, choosing the position of the subject relative to the surrounding space has to be thought out. Once I have the camera location and subject/stuff locations figured out, I think about the necessary focal length range to frame the image the way I have it in my mind.

The bottom line is that nobody can tell you what focal length you should use for a "whatever" shot unless all of the information is laid out to think about.

Skip Douglas

CanonYouCan
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,480 posts
Joined Oct 2010
Post edited over 2 years ago by CanonYouCan. (2 edits in all)

Aug 06, 2016 17:14 as a reply to  @ SkipD's post |  #6

Here an example :

IMAGE: http://i66.tinypic.com/107rn7t.jpg

Alveric
Goldmember
4,587 posts
Gallery: 38 photos
Joined Jan 2011
Post edited over 2 years ago by Alveric. (2 edits in all)

Aug 06, 2016 18:17 |  #7

It also depends on composition. Truly, no one can tell you what to use in this situation. You need to be provided with a brief by the client, or come up with it yourself if this is portfolio work. If we were to tell you, then we might as well charge you, for it would be our vision, design and even style.

Some general considerations in this situation would be:

• What are you trying to showcase the most: model, building, or both?
  • What kind of shots are you aiming for: figure in ground? Full body, frame-filling portraits? Bust shots? Headshots?
  • What time of the day are you shooting?
  • What kind of lighting are you using?

There are more aspects to it, but I'd start there.

'The success of the second-rate is deplorable in itself; but it is more deplorable in that it very often obscures the genuine masterpiece. If the crowd runs after the false, it must neglect the true.' —Arthur Machen
Why 'The Histogram' Sux (external link)

CanonYouCan
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,480 posts
Joined Oct 2010

Aug 06, 2016 18:48 |  #8

I would love to use my 50 Art & 85 1.2L but too much of the building would dissapear, those bokehlicious lenses are great to erase background like in nature, citylights in the evening,...

It's no paid work, just a hobby, so i'm going to experiment with 24-70 2.8LI & 70-200 2.8LII
I want to have both on the picture, but mostly the model.
Shots are mixed, fullbody, halfbody, headshots.
Time of the day is in the morning.
Lightning is a softbox.

losangelino
925 posts
Gallery: 40 photos
Best ofs: 4
Joined Jul 2012

Aug 06, 2016 19:18 |  #9

I think a 16-35 would be good. If prime i would use a 24 or 35

Flickr (external link)
IG: @spyology (external link)
IG: @photomagicology (external link)

SkipD
Cream of the Crop
20,475 posts
Joined Dec 2002
Post edited over 2 years ago by SkipD. (2 edits in all)

Aug 07, 2016 04:43 |  #10

CanonYouCan wrote in post #18088459 (external link)
I would love to use my 50 Art & 85 1.2L but too much of the building would dissapear, those bokehlicious lenses are great to erase background like in nature, citylights in the evening,...

It's no paid work, just a hobby, so i'm going to experiment with 24-70 2.8LI & 70-200 2.8LII
I want to have both on the picture, but mostly the model.
Shots are mixed, fullbody, halfbody, headshots.
Time of the day is in the morning.
Lightning is a softbox.

For the time being, forget about cameras and forget about lenses. The first thing you need to do is visualize (in your head) what it is you want in your images. Take someone with you to play the part of the model (forgetting any costume at this time). Find parts of the buildings that intrigue you. Imagine what the model could be wearing and/or doing and get your helper to stand in where you think would work out. Move yourself around while viewing the scene you've set up. Use your hand or cardboard cutouts to frame the "image" you are looking at. Once you have an image created in your mind, make notes and/or sketches for future reminders including where you were positioned while looking at your "picture". You may wind up with several ideas for different images, so make sure you've documented them all.

Now, you can take you camera to the spot where you were looking at your scene from and find what focal length(s) you can use to frame the image(s) the way you imagined it (them) in your experimental setup(s).

The next thing to do is consider other things such as lighting - both natural and artificial. Again, document what you think you'll need for each setup. For natural light, document what time of day (and time of year) and what weather conditions you'll want. Then figure out what additional lighting you may need (and, for example, what helpers you may need to control the lights in breezy conditions, what portable power systems you may need, etc.).

You could experiment with your camera even before you get your real model in costume to see what works for you. This will be a learning process. Just do the basic learning before dealing with the final model and costuming. This way, you'll know what you are doing when it's time to make the "real" images and you'll feel a lot more comfortable making final choices then.

P.S. - Don't forget to get permission from the building/property owners to work on their property and around their buildings. Do this before showing up to do even your experimental work.

Skip Douglas

CanonYouCan
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,480 posts
Joined Oct 2010
Post edited over 2 years ago by CanonYouCan.

Aug 08, 2016 05:20 |  #11

I managed with 24-70 I & 70-200 II + on camera Yongnuo 600EX with diffusor cap.
There was too much wind and the softbox immediately blew on the ground :)

We scouted the locations before, a pity that the gate of the last nicest building was closed... don't know if permission would be possible... last time it was open.

I definitely want to test my 50 1.4 Art & 85 1.2L, those seem more lenses to use in nature or at night for a creamy bokeh.
With the buildings at f1.2 & f1.4 I wouldn't see anything of the nice location, f2.8 was doable.

sponsored links

3,029 views & 1 like for this thread
Which lenses would you use for a fashionshoot with modern architecture ?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.