Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Critique Corner 
Thread started 01 Aug 2016 (Monday) 19:27
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Please critique these images

theantiquetiger
506 posts
Gallery: 35 photos
Joined Sep 2011

Aug 01, 2016 19:27 |  #1

I have thick skin, I need to know what I need to improve on. I know I need to get off F/2.8. I usually shoot in TV, adjusting to the amount of movement is being shot, so I do need to up my ISO to get the F-stop closed some.

This image was taken from outside, shot through a doorway, so I was not able to capture her tail. The door jams are just on the outsides of the images
F/2.8, 1/100 sec, 91mm, ISO 320

IMAGE: https://c7.staticflickr.com/8/7524/28547233086_eaa7c9527a_b.jpg
IMAGE LINK: https://flic.kr/p/KuC2​PU  (external link) gestures2a (external link) by Chris Campbell (external link), on Flickr

Straight forward image, cropped a little to level the image
F/2.8, 1/1000, 70mm, ISO 250
IMAGE: https://c6.staticflickr.com/9/8691/28476405581_bfa31e0962_b.jpg
IMAGE LINK: https://flic.kr/p/Kon2​h2  (external link) gestures5 (external link) by Chris Campbell (external link), on Flickr

F/2.8, 1/80 sec, 76mm, ISO 400
IMAGE: https://c5.staticflickr.com/9/8855/28522090676_a22fed98e8_b.jpg
IMAGE LINK: https://flic.kr/p/Kspa​S5  (external link) gestures7 (external link) by Chris Campbell (external link), on Flickr

---------------
http://www.flickr.com/​photos/theantiquetiger​/ (external link)

sponsored links
Qbx
Goldmember
3,919 posts
Gallery: 45 photos
Joined Dec 2010

Aug 01, 2016 20:53 |  #2

I like the tonality of #1 but the chair seems too prominent. Maybe a crop would help.
#3 doesn't have the tonal punch of #1 and seems to have too much headroom, so maybe crop off most of the top and bump contrast would improve it.

-- Image Editing OK --

bob_r
Goldmember
2,426 posts
Gallery: 23 photos
Joined Aug 2006

Aug 01, 2016 21:10 |  #3

theantiquetiger wrote in post #18084025 (external link)
I have thick skin, I need to know what I need to improve on. I know I need to get off F/2.8. I usually shoot in TV, adjusting to the amount of movement is being shot, so I do need to up my ISO to get the F-stop closed some.

The first question I'd have to ask is why you chose to shoot these images in shutter priority, when subject movement is not an issue. Unless you're shooting subjects that are in motion, selecting aperture priority and the depth of field is usually a better alternative. You are allowing your camera to make the decision on how much DOF is needed for your shots and this should be the creative choice of the photographer.

Have you ever heard the term "Fill the frame" referring to composition? It's a term often used to suggest that you allow your subject to dominate the image.
Does the bar stool need to occupy so much of the first image or could that real estate be better used by increasing the dog's size in the image?
What is the subject of the second image - the picture or the person. If it's the person, you certainly haven't allowed her enough space in the image.
Why do you think all of the area above the subject's head is required in the last image? Wouldn't enlarging your subject in the image be a better use for it?

My advice would be to try aperture priority to learn how to control your DOF for various situations and to either read up on composition or perhaps watch some videos on Youtube (Since practically everything has a video on YouTube, I'm pretty sure you'll find some on composition). Good luck and keep shooting!

Canon 7D, 5D, 35L, 50 f/1.4, 85 f/1.8, 135L, 200L, 10-22, 17-55, 70-300, 100-400L, 500D, 580EX(2).
Sigma 150 macro, 1.4X, 2X, Quantaray 2X, Kenko closeup tubes, Yongnuo YN685(3), Yongnuo YN-622C-TX. Lots of studio stuff.
** Image Editing OK **

theantiquetiger
THREAD ­ STARTER
506 posts
Gallery: 35 photos
Joined Sep 2011

Aug 01, 2016 23:55 as a reply to  @ bob_r's post |  #4

The reason I shoot in TV when I am doing street photography is because I am rapidly grabbing images all the time. When I would shoot in AV and would hastily adjust my setting, I would many times end up with too long of a shot for handheld, completely missing the shot. I guess it's the same as I said in the original post, just adjust the ISO and the speed would come up, but I do know if I shoot in TV and rapidly make a change, I know I can handhold any f/stop.

As far as the composition of the images above:

The bar stool has to be in the image to show the dog is sitting in a bar, otherwise it would just be a picture of a dog.

In the image of Marilyn Monroe, both are subjects of this image, a juxtaposition.

I do agree the third one could use a little less head room, filling the frame more.

Like I said, I enjoy street photography, so I am usually shooting from the hip because I am afraid I will miss the shot adjusting my settings. I will try to shoot more in AV.

Thanks for the critique.

---------------
http://www.flickr.com/​photos/theantiquetiger​/ (external link)

bob_r
Goldmember
2,426 posts
Gallery: 23 photos
Joined Aug 2006

Aug 02, 2016 09:51 |  #5

theantiquetiger wrote in post #18084210 (external link)
The reason I shoot in TV when I am doing street photography is because I am rapidly grabbing images all the time. When I would shoot in AV and would hastily adjust my setting, I would many times end up with too long of a shot for handheld, completely missing the shot. I guess it's the same as I said in the original post, just adjust the ISO and the speed would come up, but I do know if I shoot in TV and rapidly make a change, I know I can handhold any f/stop.

You might find this article useful to help solve your shutter speed issue: http://www.learn.usa.c​anon.com …es/2012/eos_Aut​oISO.shtml (external link)

Canon 7D, 5D, 35L, 50 f/1.4, 85 f/1.8, 135L, 200L, 10-22, 17-55, 70-300, 100-400L, 500D, 580EX(2).
Sigma 150 macro, 1.4X, 2X, Quantaray 2X, Kenko closeup tubes, Yongnuo YN685(3), Yongnuo YN-622C-TX. Lots of studio stuff.
** Image Editing OK **

Patrick_E
231 posts
Gallery: 27 photos
Joined May 2013

Aug 02, 2016 19:07 as a reply to  @ bob_r's post |  #6

Good article

Thanks for posting!

big_g
933 posts
Gallery: 318 photos
Joined Apr 2010
Post edited over 2 years ago by big_g.

Aug 06, 2016 11:49 |  #7

Have you tried shooting in Auto ISO and manually setting the aperture and shutter speed?? This way you address your concerns of too low a shutter speed and also you take control of the DoF. for creative control. The ISO effectively takes over control of the exposure. Its kind of like a fully automatic manual mode :)

Clearly there are some limitations but as long as the settings you choose for aperture and shutter speed aren't too extreme the ISO will take care of everything else. I see you are using a 5D3 which is pretty good at high ISO if the camera decides thats what is required.

Leica - M (240), M Mono (246), Noctilux 50 f0.95, Summilux 50 f1.4 ASPH, SE 18 f3.8, Summicron 35 f2, Summarit 35 f2.5
Canon - 5D4, 5DSR,1D4, 5D2, 8-15L, 11-24L, Samyang 14, 17-40L, TSE 17L, TSE 24L Mk 2, 24-70L, 24-105L, 50L, 100 L IS Macro, 70-200 2.8L IS, 85L, 100-400L, 180 Macro L, 300 2.8 L IS, 500L IS
Flickr Site (external link)

kjonnnn
Goldmember
1,204 posts
Joined Apr 2005

Aug 06, 2016 17:06 |  #8

In my own opinion, I have to disagree with most. Photography is subjective, if you ask an opinion, you're sure to get someone saying you did something wrong. Doesnt mean you were wrong, but just that they would have done it differenly. Did YOU like your photos? I find nothing really wrong with the images. Tonality, contrast, cropping .... are all done to personal taste.

For me the street type, candid type photos dont need a tight crop as suggested. The environment of the subject is as important as the subject. In my opinion, a tight crop around the boy would make the photo just about the boy. The wide crop, even with the space above his head (making sure the complete window is included), show the environment and context in which he is reading. A person and the background can be the subject of a photo. I believe youre right about the dog. Getting rid of the chair makes the photo just about a dog. Including the bar stool and seeing the leash tells me the subject of this image is about a dog patiently waiting for his master to return from the establishment. It tells story. A snap of lone dog. So does the Marilyn image. Celebrity money and fame vs poverty. The shot isnt just about the homeless woman. The image pits two societies against each other in one frame.

As I said photography is subjective. These are my thoughts on images you captured.

Dan ­ Marchant
Do people actually believe in the Title Fairy?
5,199 posts
Gallery: 19 photos
Joined Oct 2011
Location: Where I'm from is unimportant, it's where I'm going that counts.

Aug 09, 2016 11:15 |  #9

Don't like the first image. the bright areas of the stool compete far too much with the dog. My eyes don't know which one to look at.

The second - not a fan of "person sitting/standing/walki​ng in front of unrelated background image" photos. Also as a previous poster said, the homeless lady is too small in the frame.

Really like the third one. A man who is a work of art enjoying and surrounded by art/literature.

Dan Marchant
Website/blog: danmarchant.com (external link)
Instagram: @dan_marchant (external link)
Gear Canon 5DIII + Fuji X-T2 + lenses + a plastic widget I found in the camera box.

mikeinctown
Goldmember
2,096 posts
Joined May 2012

Aug 10, 2016 09:17 |  #10

I actually like all three for various reasons.

#1 looks good but I am wondering if it wouldn't look better if it was exposed more.

#2, I get what the comments are about not being related, but look at the eyes on each one of them and tell me they aren't related. the facial expressions are somewhat similar as well even though one is a very old hollywood actress and the other is a homeless lady. I'd crop down a little on the photo so there is less above the Marilyn photo and then the image will appear larger overall.

#3 I like as the background provides context.

Mr_ipsum
320 posts
Gallery: 14 photos
Joined Aug 2012

Aug 10, 2016 12:07 |  #11

#1 - I don't feel the framing on this one.

#2 - I think the photos are related in how they are opposite, However my only critique is something that you might not have any control over. If the homeless woman was looking downward with a dejected look on her face I think that would show the difference in the situation in the two faces. Since both faces are facing the camera I don't get the juxtaposition of the two circumstances as quickly. Then again the homeless woman may never have looked down while you were there, so there's not much you can do about that one.

#3 - Favorite of the bunch.

RichardCervellonePhoto​graphy.com (external link) | Follow me on Instagram (external link)

sponsored links

3,080 views & 3 likes for this thread
Please critique these images
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Critique Corner 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.