Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 30 Jul 2016 (Saturday) 01:13
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

I have recovered a stolen 5DII, 24-70L, 70-200 2.8L IS II

Perfectly ­ Frank
I'm too sexy for my lens
5,905 posts
Gallery: 111 photos
Joined Oct 2010
Post edited over 6 years ago by Perfectly Frank. (2 edits in all)

Jul 30, 2016 10:01 |  #16

wisv1k wrote in post #18081734 (external link)
They will take it but he won't be a "suspect". Also, they have access to resources the OP doesn't. They have a much better chance of returning it.

I don't think he'll be looked at as a suspect. It's very unlikely a thief will steal an item then take it to the police. Unless the thief is remorseful.

When you see my camera gear you'll think I'm a pro.
When you see my photos you'll know that I'm not.

My best aviation photos (external link)
My flickr albums (external link)

sponsored links
NullMember
Goldmember
3,019 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Jul 30, 2016 11:53 |  #17
bannedPermanently

dudemanppl wrote in post #18081653 (external link)
Story...

So I'm about to take some pics of a lens I'm trying to sell and I just got a new computer and I remembered I needed to set up Lightroom. So whatever, I have a bookmark for craigslist stuff. I see this for sale, a 5DII, 24-70, and 70-200 2.8 IS for 1500, SWEET! So I reply to the email with my phone number and they call me, they want to meet now at a Starbucks and its around 9:00 p.m. Sorta sketch already, but whatever I told them I had 1300 and they take it which sketched me out even more. But whatever, photographers are weird people. So after some confusing of the meeting location, I show up at Denny's and some early 30s white female with neck tattoos was outside sitting on the bench in a leather jacket. Which wasn't really an issue cause photographers are weird people. Small issue though. The guy on the phone said his name was Tim and didn't mention anyone else. My brain couldn't even process that so I sorta stood awkwardly for a few seconds before she asked why not sit down. Anyway I ask to see the camera. She opens one compartment of the non-photo backpack she has and pulls out a 580EXII (I think?) and I ask her how much extra for that. She says a hundred and I decline cause I didn't have the money. At this point it seems mildly legit still. Then she opens the other compartment and pulls out a 70-200 2.8 IS II while a version one was pictured in the ad. Okay, now I'm just figuring out what to say cause theres no chance it isn't stolen. I check it out and check for a date code which Canon stopped adding to their lenses apparently. Side note: I've been out of photography for about 4-5 years now and I'm mildly getting back in to it so I didn't really know that. Anyway yeah this is bunk. She then pulls out a 5DII and 24-70 which doesn't have a strap for some reason? I check it out and yeah it works. Theres a memory card in it, a battery, no charger, and no body cap or rear lens cap. .... Sure thing man. I see her fumble around some more with her bag and see a strap! I ask if I could have it and she hands it over. It's a 7D strap. Alright time to drop the bomb.

Abridged conversation:

Me: "Hey so this is stolen."
Her: "What do you mean its stolen? I bought it in Russia new about a year ago." Side note: She was Russian. Lens had a UX date code.
Me: "Well uhhh this is stolen so I'm going to keep it and find the owner. Thanks."
Her: "****."

Then she gets up and scurries away across a 4 lane road which is green, gets in her getaway minivan, and is never seen again.

The End

I guess I'll be contacting the police tomorrow.

There are a few things that don’t quite add up in this tale.

Why did you respond to an advert when you were actually in the process of trying to sell something?
If you thought the camera equipment listed was stolen why didn’t you report it to Craigslist?
How did you know the young lady was the contact if you had arranged to meet a guy called Tim?
Why didn’t you just walk away from the lady if you suspected that the goods were stolen and then report your suspicions to the police?
When the young lady absconded from the meeting why didn’t you then report the incident to the police?
After you left the scene with the alleged stolen camera equipment in your possession why didn’t you hand it over to the police straight away?

rrblint
Listen! .... do you smell something?
23,001 posts
Gallery: 84 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined May 2012

Jul 30, 2016 12:12 |  #18

john crossley wrote in post #18081907 (external link)

Why did you respond to an advert when you were actually in the process of trying to sell something?
If you thought the camera equipment listed was stolen why didn’t you report it to Craigslist?
How did you know the young lady was the contact if you had arranged to meet a guy called Tim?
Why didn’t you just walk away from the lady if you suspected that the goods were stolen and then report your suspicions to the police?
When the young lady absconded from the meeting why didn’t you then report the incident to the police?
After you left the scene with the alleged stolen camera equipment in your possession why didn’t you hand it over to the police straight away?

That's what I was thinking. Why advertise it on an international Internet forum where the chances of the actual owner seeing it are slim to none?

Mark

dudemanppl
THREAD ­ STARTER
303 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Jul 30, 2016 13:28 |  #19

Because I resell things.

Craigslist doesn't care.

"Tim" had said he was with a woman in a leather jacket, which was her.

I don't like being complacent.

Camera is with the police now. I got home at 10pm dude. Maybe I have a life? Damn chill out.

CyberDyneSystems
Admin (type T-2000)
52,848 posts
Gallery: 192 photos
Joined Apr 2003
Post edited over 6 years ago by CyberDyneSystems. (3 edits in all)

Jul 30, 2016 13:34 |  #20

Awesome job, thanks for doing this!

I've actually been in a similar situation many moons ago, received a stolen bicycle.
(several hundred dollar bike sold to me for $10.00 while I was shingling a house )

My plan was to simply turn it in, (OK, 30 years later, I'll admit my first thought was that I was getting a great bicycle for $10.00) However, having lost many a bike to thief's like this when I was a kid, I quickly let the angle on my shoulder talk me into doing the right thing.

However, the thief then asked if I would like a Moped for $50.00.
"Sure" I say.
"i'll be back later"

Well he was back in fact about three hours later, during which time I am debating reporting the bike, not wanting to tip my hat too soon.

Close to 5:30pm (I just about to give up having already worked later than panned on this house that day) he's back with the Moped.

Luck would have it I am up on the scaffold, easiest way down is through the open window, and thus inside out of sight, past the phone (no cell phones in the 1980s)

I report the stolen Moped and bike and tell the police to get here fast, as the thief is still waiting out side.

I stall a bit then walk out the front door. thief is looking nervous, I try to stall with talk, but I can see that his gut is waking up to my deceit.

I say., "yeah I'll take it", and quickly reach down and yank out the spark plug cable.

I pull my hammer from it's holster and say "Now you have to run"

Cops arrived about a minute later, and then sped off, picked him up a few blocks around the corner, both Moped and Bicycle were returned, the young lady that owned the Moped was really happy.

You did an good thing!
Definitely glad your turned it in to the police, and hopefully the owners will get it back.
I think it is worth a try to help find the owners, but good that you didn't hold on to it long enough to cast suspicion on you. You can do it with the police holding the gear.

GEAR LIST
CDS' HOT LINKS
Jake Hegnauer Photography (external link)

OhLook
insufferably pedantic. I can live with that.
23,064 posts
Gallery: 91 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Dec 2012

Jul 30, 2016 16:11 |  #21

Besides a road being green, this is the part I don't understand:

dudemanppl wrote in post #18081653 (external link)
The guy on the phone said his name was Tim and didn't mention anyone else.

dudemanppl wrote in post #18081963 (external link)
"Tim" had said he was with a woman in a leather jacket, which was her.

PRONOUN ADVISORY: OhLook is a she. | A FEW CORRECT SPELLINGS: lens, aperture, amateur, hobbyist, per se, raccoon, whoa, more so | Comments welcome

dudemanppl
THREAD ­ STARTER
303 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Jul 30, 2016 17:42 as a reply to  @ OhLook's post |  #22

Whoops. Sorry, wrote the story at 12:00 a.m. He did mention that she was with him, but I never heard her voice or anything on the phone so I was confused to see her there.

Perfectly ­ Frank
I'm too sexy for my lens
5,905 posts
Gallery: 111 photos
Joined Oct 2010

Aug 05, 2016 10:34 |  #23

I wonder if the camera gear was reunited with its owner. Any update?

When you see my camera gear you'll think I'm a pro.
When you see my photos you'll know that I'm not.

My best aviation photos (external link)
My flickr albums (external link)

dudemanppl
THREAD ­ STARTER
303 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Aug 07, 2016 13:46 |  #24

Nope, nothing.

Bassat
"I am still in my underwear."
8,075 posts
Joined Oct 2015

Aug 07, 2016 13:56 |  #25
bannedPermanent ban

Go to the next police auction. They'll have 5D2, 24-70L, and 70-200 II for next to nothing. Really, if the owners did not report those serial numbers to that police department, nothing at all will be done.

I've been down that road with police departments, CL, and stolen gear. Even the insurance companies don't care. Cost of doing business.

absplastic
Goldmember
1,643 posts
Gallery: 40 photos
Joined Jan 2011

Aug 10, 2016 16:23 |  #26

Curious if you tried taking a shot with the camera. There are search sites where you can upload a shot from the camera, and they will tell you if there are any photos on any of the major photo sharing sites with matching serials in their EXIF. Some people here at PotN have found stolen gear this way, usually in the hands of someone who unwittingly bought it off CL or eBay.

5DSR, 6D, 16-35/4L IS, 85L II, 100L macro, Sigma 150-600C
SL1, 10-18 STM, 18-55 STM, 40 STM, 50 STM
My (mostly) Fashion and Portraiture Instagram (external link)
flickr (external link) (NSFW)

sponsored links

9,011 views & 22 likes for this thread
I have recovered a stolen 5DII, 24-70L, 70-200 2.8L IS II
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.