Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 18 Sep 2015 (Friday) 07:24
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Canon 7D Mark II Focus Issues - What is going on?

digital ­ paradise
I still have 8 digits left
17,064 posts
Gallery: 125 photos
Joined Oct 2009

Aug 08, 2016 10:58 |  #76

What is AF assist?

Image Editing OK

Website (external link) ~ Buy/Sell Feedback

sponsored links
rjharris
Goldmember
1,071 posts
Gallery: 71 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Mar 2010

Aug 08, 2016 11:17 as a reply to  @ digital paradise's post |  #77

It's in the menu settings under Auto Focus the group in the middle. Mine was on and I disabled it and so far my tests have shown an amazing difference. My version 1 70-200 seems sharp enough to cut me and I'm afraid to put a prime on it for fear of injury. All kidding aside, my Tamron 24-70 2.7 is now much more consistent.

rjharris
Goldmember
1,071 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Aug 08, 2016 11:23 |  #78

Here's a crappy cellphone picture of it.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
38,557 posts
Gallery: 115 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined May 2002
Post edited over 4 years ago by TeamSpeed.

Aug 08, 2016 11:45 |  #79

That only affects the on-board flash or mounted external flash as to whether it will pulse the af assist lighting for focus. I fail to see how that affects your normal focusing, I suspect some other change is responsible.

Howevero if you are using a flash, and it is pulsing before the shot to help with AF , then perhaps that was your specific culprit. :)

Past Equipment | My Personal Gallery (external link) My Business Gallery (external link)
For Sale: Sigma USB Dock

rjharris
Goldmember
1,071 posts
Joined Mar 2010
Post edited over 4 years ago by rjharris.

Aug 08, 2016 12:06 as a reply to  @ TeamSpeed's post |  #80

I agree, it shouldn't affect focus. However, I've never had a problem with focus in AI servo which disables the AF Assist beam completely. I noticed last week that whenever using the IR AF Assist beam that focus was not good at all. It's my understanding from Canon that you can't make the 580EXII, 580 EX, or the 430 EXII pulsate for focus and can only use the IR. Again, when the IR focus kicked in focus was not good but if I used the on camera flash that pulsated focus was much better.

Last night shooting a "Pop the Question" session I was still getting OOF shots in single shot mode. Sometimes 5-6 in a row (shooting at 5.6 with IS lens at 1/250th) when ever the light was just a tiny bit less than perfect. I was using off camera flash last night but their was a remote trigger in the hot shoe. I lost about 11 - 12% of shots due to focus issues. Some were very sharp but others weren't even remotely useful. I only knew that the IR AF Assist beam was causing problems so I shut it off this morning and Voila, At least right now it's much better. I've tried my Tamron 24-70 VC as well as my Canon 70-200 IS version 1 and the difference is unbelievable at least for me. I can shoot at 2.8 again which I was never able to do with the 7DII (I could with the 7D). It might not last but right now I'm a happy camper.

Could it be the flash point trigger? I'm kind of doubting it since I also have an ODIN trigger that pretty much did the same thing.

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
38,557 posts
Gallery: 115 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined May 2002

Aug 08, 2016 12:37 |  #81

What are your first and second AF priorities set to?

Past Equipment | My Personal Gallery (external link) My Business Gallery (external link)
For Sale: Sigma USB Dock

rjharris
Goldmember
1,071 posts
Joined Mar 2010
Post edited over 4 years ago by rjharris.

Aug 08, 2016 12:45 as a reply to  @ TeamSpeed's post |  #82

Image priority on both. So far today I've tried my 24-70 Tamron, my 15 - 50 Tamron, 70-200 Canon 2.8IS Version 1, my 18-135 Canon IS kit lens, and my Canon 1.8 85mm. They all appear sharper and much more consistent with auto focus. I might miss one (I'm using my dogs for models and they seem to move around alot) but I'm thinking I can actually shoot at 1.8 with the 85 and 2.8 with either Tamron lenses or the 70-200 which I couldn't have done before I turned the AF Assist beam off.

First and Second priority I think only refers to AI servo if I understand the book correctly. I have zero issues with AI servo mode except when somebody runs across my focus point while shooting but that's expected.

digital ­ paradise
I still have 8 digits left
17,064 posts
Gallery: 125 photos
Joined Oct 2009
Post edited over 4 years ago by digital paradise.

Aug 08, 2016 12:50 |  #83

rjharris wrote in post #18089782 (external link)
I agree, it shouldn't affect focus. However, I've never had a problem with focus in AI servo which disables the AF Assist beam completely.

That is normal and all Canon bodies do that. For AF assist to work it needs to be in One Shot.

Image Editing OK

Website (external link) ~ Buy/Sell Feedback

rjharris
Goldmember
1,071 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Aug 08, 2016 13:57 as a reply to  @ digital paradise's post |  #84

Exactly,

hania
919 posts
Joined Nov 2004

Aug 12, 2016 06:47 |  #85

hania wrote in post #18059463 (external link)
I have the same problem - this is a warranty replacement ( the original got water under the lcd)- Its currently under repair a for bent hotshot.
I had mentioned that I was happy with the original camera, but not very impressed with the replacement. The repairer has run exhaustive tests, and even when the camera is rock solid, on a static target and being triggered by a laptop, the focus is, in their words "All over the place".

I was beginning to doubt myself - as I had razor sharp images with the 400 5.6 - but mostly unacceptably soft with this one....It was replaced on 11 July 2015.

I think I will let the supplier and repairer talk to each other.....

Just about got a warranty repair in - expired on 13th July and they got it on 12th!!

Back today (haven't tried it yet) ; this was their description of repair:

"Dismantle to reset camera body depths and undertake full AF calibration to standard. Clan and test all to best point".

I had a slip from Canon included, so think it was done by them.

Will see how it is as soon as I have time...

Gear List

hania
919 posts
Joined Nov 2004

Aug 17, 2016 10:43 |  #86

hania wrote in post #18093410 (external link)
Just about got a warranty repair in - expired on 13th July and they got it on 12th!!

Back today (haven't tried it yet) ; this was their description of repair:

"Dismantle to reset camera body depths and undertake full AF calibration to standard. Clan and test all to best point".

Will see how it is as soon as I have time...

ust about got a warranty repair in - expired on 13th July and they got it on 12th!!

Camera now bacK :this was their description of repair:

"Dismantle to reset camera body depths and undertake full AF calibration to standard. Clean and test all to best point".

Took 7D2 into my local repair shop to check if it was better than before : Report " very OOF but at least its now consistently soft" - will send it back as it has a 6 month warranty..on this repair....

am getting seriously fed-up with this camera!

Gear List

sponsored links

26,109 views & 33 likes for this thread
Canon 7D Mark II Focus Issues - What is going on?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.