Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Wildlife Talk 
Thread started 07 Jul 2015 (Tuesday) 23:46
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Yellowstone & Grand Teton Parks Must See

sweetlu60
151 posts
Joined Mar 2006

Aug 09, 2016 17:01 |  #46

My understanding is that the trail for Fairy Falls is closed from the parking area just past Grand Prismatic. They are actually building a trail to replace the social trail on the hill to the west of Grand Prismatic so that you will be able to get there more safely and take in the view. I also understand that technically, the hill to the east near the parking lot for Grand Prismatic is closed as well, but not being enforced as strictly as it one would expect.

Steven Lewis
Western Skies Photography (external link)

sponsored links
sandwedge
Goldmember
1,011 posts
Gallery: 149 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Aug 2011

Aug 09, 2016 20:48 as a reply to  @ sweetlu60's post |  #47

When I went up it (hill to the East) in June, there weren't any signs saying the area was closed - but that doesn't mean it wasn't I guess. I was up there for about two hours and saw at least twenty other people.

http://www.flickr.com/​photos/63710159@N07/ (external link)
http://www.DougMoon.sm​ugmug.com (external link)
5d mkIV, 80D, 7D, 5D, sx50, Canon EF 500 f/4 USM II, Sigma 150-600C, 100-400L, 70-200L II, 24-105L, 100mm Macro, Sigma 17-70, Sigma 50 1.4, Tamron 28-75, Tokina 11-20, Bower 8mm

N2bnfunn
713 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Dec 2010

Aug 13, 2016 17:34 |  #48

Hello I did that this pass May, I stayed in Cody the only problem it is an hour drive to and from the park.. Cody is very small but packed together very tightly not sure why they built it that way.

Also Cody has the highest rate of people carrying fire arms per capital in the whole U.S.

Canon EOS R EF 70-200 L 2.8 L 24-70 2.8L II Canon Pixma PRO-1 3 Canon 600EX-RT Speedlites

chantheman
216 posts
Joined Dec 2010
Post edited over 3 years ago by chantheman. (3 edits in all)

Aug 14, 2016 20:01 |  #49

sandwedge wrote in post #18086697 (external link)
I was there for 3 weeks in June. I'll be happy to answer any questions.

Grand Prismatic is a must see. If it's as busy as it was then, expect there to be a lot of people.

For a good shot of Grand Prismatic, people have often hiked the hill across from the spring. However, it's closed for the time being as they are building an overview up there. The next best place is across the street from the parking lot. If you have a map, it is called Midway Bluff. Without a map - cross the main road and look for an unmarked trail that leads up the hill. At the top, it is a cliff, so you have to be careful. However, it's a pretty easy hike up and pretty safe as long as you use common sense.

it looks like the Midway Bluff is also closed but there is a longer route to get to the hill across the spring via the Fountain Freight Road Trailhead.
https://www.nps.gov …rvisit/gpareacl​osures.htm (external link)

IMAGE: https://www.nps.gov/yell/planyourvisit/images/GPOverlookClosure_4.jpg

your picture is amazing and a different view than most of the overhead views.

thanks for the suggestions.

5D mk3, 16-35L, 50L, 24-70L, 70-200L
Sony A7RII 16-35, 70-200

sandwedge
Goldmember
1,011 posts
Gallery: 149 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Aug 2011

Aug 14, 2016 20:46 |  #50

Yikes! I was definitely in the closed off area. I definitely would not have been there had I known. I even thought that I should check beforehand, but internet access is so sketchy out there. I figured if there weren't signs I would be ok.

None of those excuses are acceptable in my opinion, so I'm pretty embarassed right now.

http://www.flickr.com/​photos/63710159@N07/ (external link)
http://www.DougMoon.sm​ugmug.com (external link)
5d mkIV, 80D, 7D, 5D, sx50, Canon EF 500 f/4 USM II, Sigma 150-600C, 100-400L, 70-200L II, 24-105L, 100mm Macro, Sigma 17-70, Sigma 50 1.4, Tamron 28-75, Tokina 11-20, Bower 8mm

Capn ­ Jack
Goldmember
2,943 posts
Gallery: 1339 photos
Joined Mar 2010

Aug 15, 2016 18:30 |  #51

Prismatic hot spring from above:

https://www.flickr.com …/album-72157627802471331/ (external link)

Scott ­ M
Goldmember
3,169 posts
Gallery: 70 photos
Joined May 2008

Aug 16, 2016 06:47 |  #52

sandwedge wrote in post #18095643 (external link)
Yikes! I was definitely in the closed off area. I definitely would not have been there had I known. I even thought that I should check beforehand, but internet access is so sketchy out there. I figured if there weren't signs I would be ok.

None of those excuses are acceptable in my opinion, so I'm pretty embarassed right now.

If the trail was not marked and you were therefore unaware that it was closed, I wouldn't be too hard on yourself. You appear to be very concerned about observing and obeying the restrictions in the park, which is the most important thing.

When we were in YNP last year, I witnessed a woman in her late 20's or early 30's walking out in one of the geothermal areas at least 50 yards away from the boardwalks to take a selfie, completely disregarding the signs. When she got back to the boardwalk I confronted her, and her attitude was that she really didn't give a crap. Unfortunately, there was no ranger around to report her. I still get pissed off when I think about it.

Photo Gallery (external link)
Gear List

RikWriter
Goldmember
3,939 posts
Gallery: 81 photos
Joined May 2004

Aug 16, 2016 09:15 |  #53

Scott M wrote in post #18097035 (external link)
If the trail was not marked and you were therefore unaware that it was closed, I wouldn't be too hard on yourself. You appear to be very concerned about observing and obeying the restrictions in the park, which is the most important thing.

When we were in YNP last year, I witnessed a woman in her late 20's or early 30's walking out in one of the geothermal areas at least 50 yards away from the boardwalks to take a selfie, completely disregarding the signs. When she got back to the boardwalk I confronted her, and her attitude was that she really didn't give a crap. Unfortunately, there was no ranger around to report her. I still get pissed off when I think about it.

Could have been worse for her...she could have been like that young guy who ignored the signs and fell right into a thermal and got cooked to death.

My pics:
www.pbase.com/rikwrite​r (external link)

Mel-S
Goldmember
1,205 posts
Gallery: 34 photos
Joined Jan 2012

Aug 17, 2016 12:30 |  #54

Lotsa smoke lately.
https://www.nps.gov …t/currentfireac​tivity.htm (external link)

80D, 70D, Sigma 18-35 f1.8 DC HSM ART, 24-70 f2.8L, Sigma 150-600 f5-6.3 DG OS HSM C, 430 EX II, Induro AM24 w/3Pod H1, CT214 w/PHQ-1, and several cold beers.

Scott ­ M
Goldmember
3,169 posts
Gallery: 70 photos
Joined May 2008

Aug 18, 2016 06:39 |  #55

RikWriter wrote in post #18097113 (external link)
Could have been worse for her...she could have been like that young guy who ignored the signs and fell right into a thermal and got cooked to death.

I really hope the woman saw the news reports of that incident and realized (much too late, of course) what an idiot she was. I doubt it, though, since it's very difficult to fix "stupid".

Photo Gallery (external link)
Gear List

chantheman
216 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Aug 23, 2016 00:05 |  #56

yea lots of smoke near the west entrance as we were leaving the park. taken as we were driving

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

5D mk3, 16-35L, 50L, 24-70L, 70-200L
Sony A7RII 16-35, 70-200

myphotographic
218 posts
Joined Oct 2010

Aug 28, 2016 02:55 |  #57

Less than a month now until my first visit. Starting to get excited...

Paul

Tom ­ Reichner
"I am a little creepy"
13,877 posts
Gallery: 146 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2008

Aug 28, 2016 09:32 |  #58

myphotographic wrote in post #18108834 (external link)
Less than a month now until my first visit. Starting to get excited...

Less than a month - that's good. You should be in time to catch the end of the Elk rut.

Also, Pika activity will be at a peak at that time.

What areas do you plan to visit - Tetons or Yellowstone?

"Your" and "you're" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"They're", "their", and "there" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"Fare" and "fair" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one. The proper expression is "moot point", NOT "mute point".

RikWriter
Goldmember
3,939 posts
Gallery: 81 photos
Joined May 2004

Aug 28, 2016 12:20 |  #59

I'll be there in a little over two weeks myself. :-)

My pics:
www.pbase.com/rikwrite​r (external link)

myphotographic
218 posts
Joined Oct 2010

Aug 29, 2016 07:34 |  #60

Tom Reichner wrote in post #18109033 (external link)

Less than a month - that's good. You should be in time to catch the end of the Elk rut.

Also, Pika activity will be at a peak at that time.

What areas do you plan to visit - Tetons or Yellowstone?

I'm joining up with a dedicated photography tour, and I'll be in the park from 23rd to 1st. Mostly based out of West Yellowstone but there's some time in the Tetons too. I had originally planned to stay on a week after that and had a cabin booked at Mammoth Hot Springs. Alas Life got in the way of that.

Paul

sponsored links

21,107 views & 20 likes for this thread
Yellowstone & Grand Teton Parks Must See
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Wildlife Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.