Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
Thread started 13 Aug 2016 (Saturday) 23:06
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Yongnuo Remote Control Advice / More Gear / Speedlights

twopinetreesphoto
109 posts
Joined Sep 2009

Aug 13, 2016 23:06 |  #1

Ok maybe I'm the only one, but I'm getting a little lost with all the compatibility between my Canon and Yongnuo flashes. I'm starting to get a lot more serious in real estate photography (quite new to flash as well, I'm a landscape guy), and want to add some gear but I want to plan for the future and not have to re-buy anything if I can help it. Here's what I've got:

Canon 5D Mark III, 16-35 f/4, 24-105m
Canon 600ex-rt
Canon 430ex II
Yongnuo 560 III
Adorama 13' light stand w/boom arm (I think overkill for where I'm doing at the moment)
Manfrotto 026 adapter
Westcott 45" Umbrella
Yongnuo RF-603CII triggers (x4)

I did a RE shoot recently, and I found a few things:
1) I wish I could afford some TSE
2) need more stands (1 doesn't cut it)
3) need more flashes because for some big open rooms, the 3 flashes just weren't enough

Stands and adapters are for another thread, so my question is around flash triggers. I don't think I should have to sink $ into PocketWizards. My Canon 600ex is RF, but my Yongnuo and other are optical slaves. For the moment, I don't mind controlling them manually. BUT, what Yongnuo equipment do I need to be able to remotely control all my flashes say from a CamRanger. I look at the different Yongnuo triggers and get confused. Here's my plan.

I was looking at getting another Yongnuo 560 IV (since it had the trigger builtin) or some Yongnuo flash + remote control. But how can I control ALL of my mixed flashes with one master? The 622, 560TX or YN-E3-RT? I think the E3-rt is just for 600 RF? I think the new RF-605 is just a new fancier 603. Any clarification would be appreciated on what I would need to use what I have and extend my feature set. Or do I stop buying speedlights and get a like Paul Buff B800?

Thanks!
Doug

sponsored links
Phil ­ V
Goldmember
1,977 posts
Joined Jan 2005

Aug 14, 2016 02:32 |  #2

A YNE3 RT and a couple of YN600ex rt's, sell the 430 and keep the 560 as just an optical slave till you can afford to swap it all out.

I'm no expert on interiors, but I don't think you need more power than speedlights, and don't overlook blending exposures.

Gear List
website: South Yorkshire Wedding photographer in Doncaster (external link)
Twitter (external link)Facebook (external link)

crbinson
614 posts
Joined Jul 2012

Aug 14, 2016 05:08 |  #3

ncphotoguy wrote in post #18094913 (external link)
Ok maybe I'm the only one, but I'm getting a little lost with all the compatibility between my Canon and Yongnuo flashes. I'm starting to get a lot more serious in real estate photography (quite new to flash as well, I'm a landscape guy), and want to add some gear but I want to plan for the future and not have to re-buy anything if I can help it. Here's what I've got:

Canon 5D Mark III, 16-35 f/4, 24-105m
Canon 600ex-rt
Canon 430ex II
Yongnuo 560 III
Adorama 13' light stand w/boom arm (I think overkill for where I'm doing at the moment)
Manfrotto 026 adapter
Westcott 45" Umbrella
Yongnuo RF-603CII triggers (x4)

I did a RE shoot recently, and I found a few things:
1) I wish I could afford some TSE
2) need more stands (1 doesn't cut it)
3) need more flashes because for some big open rooms, the 3 flashes just weren't enough

Stands and adapters are for another thread, so my question is around flash triggers. I don't think I should have to sink $ into PocketWizards. My Canon 600ex is RF, but my Yongnuo and other are optical slaves. For the moment, I don't mind controlling them manually. BUT, what Yongnuo equipment do I need to be able to remotely control all my flashes say from a CamRanger. I look at the different Yongnuo triggers and get confused. Here's my plan.

I was looking at getting another Yongnuo 560 IV (since it had the trigger builtin) or some Yongnuo flash + remote control. But how can I control ALL of my mixed flashes with one master? The 622, 560TX or YN-E3-RT? I think the E3-rt is just for 600 RF? I think the new RF-605 is just a new fancier 603. Any clarification would be appreciated on what I would need to use what I have and extend my feature set. Or do I stop buying speedlights and get a like Paul Buff B800?

Thanks!
Doug

You need to get the $80 Yongnuo YN-E3-RT on camera to remote radio control your 600EX-RT.
Then add a $47 YN-E3-RX receiver for your Canon 430ex II (since it is not radio compatible).
Not sure if the YN-E3-RX will work with the Yongnuo 560 III but can't see why it wouldn't. You if decide to get one for the 430EX II you can test it on the YN 560 III before making the purchase. If it doesn't work, the YN version of the 600EX-RT is only $114 away and that is where I would go if buying any more speedlights since you already have a Canon 600EX.

My Flickr (external link) | My Gear List

Phil ­ V
Goldmember
1,977 posts
Joined Jan 2005

Aug 14, 2016 08:09 |  #4

crbinson wrote in post #18095022 (external link)
You need to get the $80 Yongnuo YN-E3-RT on camera to remote radio control your 600EX-RT.
Then add a $47 YN-E3-RX receiver for your Canon 430ex II (since it is not radio compatible).
Not sure if the YN-E3-RX will work with the Yongnuo 560 III but can't see why it wouldn't. You if decide to get one for the 430EX II you can test it on the YN 560 III before making the purchase. If it doesn't work, the YN version of the 600EX-RT is only $114 away and that is where I would go if buying any more speedlights since you already have a Canon 600EX.

I'd forgotten about the e3 rx. :(

Gear List
website: South Yorkshire Wedding photographer in Doncaster (external link)
Twitter (external link)Facebook (external link)

twopinetreesphoto
THREAD ­ STARTER
109 posts
Joined Sep 2009

Aug 14, 2016 12:22 as a reply to  @ Phil V's post |  #5

Ok thanks all. So let me make sure I understand what you're saying. Since I have a 600ex-rt (which is radio), I should make everything work with that. So get the YN-E3-RT to fire the signal (on hot shoe) and my 600 will receive, get another YN 600 (since its cheap and radio). Since they are radio, I don't need line of sight and no receivers since they are builtin to the flash. If I want my old flashes to work, I either just flip it to optical (for YN) or get the YNE3-RX to make it receive the radio transmit (430). And all of that will render my 603C IIs useless. Correct? In this configuration, can I remotely control the power of the flashes?

So when would you use the 560TX or the 622? For non-radio, older master/slave configurations? Is that called infrared? Sorry for the dumb questions, and thanks!

Doug

inkista
673 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Aug 14, 2016 13:49 |  #6

ncphotoguy wrote in post #18095295 (external link)
Ok thanks all. So let me make sure I understand what you're saying. Since I have a 600ex-rt (which is radio), I should make everything work with that.

Maybe, maybe not. The RT system has the most features, though, so it may be worth it, if those are features you need. And it's kind of a "waste" of the 600EX-RT not to use the system.

So get the YN-E3-RT to fire the signal (on hot shoe) and my 600 will receive, get another YN 600 (since its cheap and radio). Since they are radio, I don't need line of sight and no receivers since they are builtin to the flash. If I want my old flashes to work, I either just flip it to optical (for YN) or get the YNE3-RX to make it receive the radio transmit (430). And all of that will render my 603C IIs useless. Correct? In this configuration, can I remotely control the power of the flashes?

You'll be able to remotely control the power of the TTL-capable flashes, but not your YN-560s. You'd basically have to swap your YN-560s for YN-600EX-RTs, and your RF603s for the E3-RT/RX units. This is the main problem with going Yongnuo. Their three triggering systems (RT, 622, and 560/60x) do not interoperate and are incompatible. You'd have to stack triggers to get the systems to work together.

[Note: there's also the Phottix Laso transmitter and receivers instead of the Yongnuo RT ones. But same problem. Laso and Odins won't work together. But Odin and Stratto (their version of the 60x triggers) will).

So when would you use the 560TX or the 622? For non-radio, older master/slave configurations? Is that called infrared?

The 560TX and 622s are both radio systems, not optical. Canon's pre-RT wireless system is optical, at near-infrared frequencies, but it's still visible light--kinda like using a TV remote. That's what the EX on Yongnuo flashes indicates--that it can be used as a slave in Canon's optical wireless system. RT is a newer radio-based system with some new feature: 5 groups instead of 3, ID codes for unique channels, Groups mode, etc.

You'd use the 560-TX on-camera as a master if all your remote flashes have RF-602/3/5 triggers, or are YN-560III/IVs. With the YN-560III/IV, the 560-TX gives you remote power/zoom control, but no eTTL or HSS, and no remote power/zoom control over your TTL flashes (600EX-RT, 430EX II).

With the 622 system--which you could also use, but then you can't use the built-in RF system in your 600EX-RT, you'd have a 622-TX on the camera, and with either 622 transceivers on a TTL flash, or the built-in receiver in the YN-685, you could have remote power/zoom control, as well as TTL and HSS. But. The YN-560s are manual-only flashes, so in the 622 system, the 560s have no remote power/zoom control. Mutually exclusive systems.

And if you throw in Paul Buff lights, like Alien Bees, digital Bees, or an Einstein, the picture gets even more complex. Because PCB lights can only have their power remotely controlled via Cybersync triggers (although I think the Einstein can be controlled by TTL PocketWizards), and Cybersyncs don't power control speedlights. So, you'll probably have to stack triggers.

If you're really looking at future expansion, you may want to consider moving to Godox or Phottix, instead of using Yongnuo. But this will probably require ditching the YN-560/603 gear, not using the RT system, and/or getting used to using the 560s without remote power control.

In the Godox system, the new X1 triggers are TTL/HSS, so you can at least use them like 622s to integrate your 600EX-RT and 430EXII. But. You can also grab some TT600s instead of YN-560s. The Godox TT600 is the same price and and has a feature set equivalent to that of a YN-560IV, except its builtin transceiver works in the X1 system. You'd have remote power control over the TT600 in the system if all you want is a super-cheap manual speedlight. You also have a TTL/HSS choice (TT-685), or manual/TTL speedlights that use Lithium ion battery packs instead of AAs (Ving V850II, V860 II), all of which have X1 triggering built in. Godox also offers barebulb flashes and studio strobes with X1 triggering built-in. (See: http://flashhavoc.com/​godox-flash-system-overview/ (external link)).

And they currently have X1 transmitters in Canon, Nikon, and Sony flavors, and plans to add Pentax, Fuji X, and Four-Thirds to the list. The system isn't perfect. It's going through v1.0 teething issues (lots of firmware updates), the transmitter units probably aren't final, and the studio strobes are much more expensive than AlienBees, since they offer TTL/HSS. But this is a complete system.

Phottix is building something similar around their Odin/Strato triggers, and are even getting buy in from other manufacturers like Sekonic and LumoPro. But if you like Yongnuo pricetags, Godox (external link) might be closer to what you want. The main problem with buying Godox is that they're kind of like the Samyang of lighting gear--they get rebranded a lot.

I'm a woman. I shoot with a Fuji X100T, Panasonic GX-7, Canon 5DmkII, and 50D. flickr stream (external link)

sponsored links

2,003 views & 2 likes for this thread
Yongnuo Remote Control Advice / More Gear / Speedlights
FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.