Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Astronomy & Celestial 
Thread started 14 Aug 2016 (Sunday) 22:18
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

My short film on light pollution

srirampm
20 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jul 2015

Aug 14, 2016 22:18 |  #1

https://vimeo.com/1788​41667 (external link)

Lost in Light, a short film on how light pollution affects the view of the night skies. Shot mostly in California, the movie shows how the view gets progressively better as you move away from the lights. Finding locations to shoot at every level of light pollution was a challenge and getting to the darkest skies with no light pollution was a journey in itself. Here’s why I think we should care more.

The night skies remind us of our place in the Universe. Imagine if we lived under skies full of stars. That reminder we are a tiny part of this cosmos, the awe and a special connection with this remarkable world would make us much better beings - more thoughtful, inquisitive, empathetic, kind and caring. Imagine kids growing up passionate about astronomy looking for answers and how advanced humankind would be, how connected and caring we’d feel with one another, how noble and adventurous we’d be. How compassionate with fellow species on Earth and how one with Nature we’d feel. Imagine a world where happiness of the soul is more beautiful. Ah, I feel so close to inner peace. I can only wonder how my and millions of other lives would have changed.

But in reality, most of us live under heavily light polluted skies and some have never even seen the Milky Way. We take the skies for granted and are rather lost in our busy lives without much care for the view of the stars.

How does light pollution affect the night skies and quite possibly our lives?

Website - www.srirammurali.com (external link)
Instagram - www.instagram.com/srir​am_murali (external link)

sponsored links
cbadie
458 posts
Joined Dec 2011

Aug 14, 2016 23:45 |  #2

This is great, thanks for sharing!

Clark
Canon 7D, Tokina 12-24, Canon 24-105L, 50mm 1.8, Canon 70-200 2.8L
http://www.flickr.com/​photos/clarkbadie/sets​/ (external link)
http://photo.net/photo​s/clarkbadie (external link)

MalVeauX
"Looks rough and well used"
13,256 posts
Gallery: 1674 photos
Best ofs: 4
Joined Feb 2013

Aug 15, 2016 02:27 |  #3

I enjoyed it, good music, and it really does put a lot of context into the idea of light pollution.

I live in swamps of Florida, where the night sky is dark and when you are outside, you see the stars, and the milky way quite plainly. But I've lived in Montreal, and the night sky didn't exist, it was just a glow of haze at night. I only saw the sky when I left the city.

I think it matters if we see the sky. We learned to navigate because of it. It's gone for a lot of people, and they don't even know it. And I think that's sad. It probably has stifled some otherwise great minds from pondering what's out there and the potential is lost.

Very best,

My Flickr (external link) :: My Astrobin (external link)

srirampm
THREAD ­ STARTER
20 posts
Joined Jul 2015

Aug 15, 2016 13:19 as a reply to  @ MalVeauX's post |  #4

Thank you. You are exactly right. Thinking about what if it had been dark just makes me sad. I can't even imagine where humankind would be if we had dark skies.

Celestron
Cream of the Crop
8,541 posts
Joined Jun 2007

Aug 15, 2016 14:33 |  #5

Nice video, music went well with it . This is something I have tried unsuccessfully here on this forum . So many make their images look like daytime shots when if they produced the image correctly their image would look so much better . There is enough LP as is in a normal image but when you add car lights, flashlights and other man made light sources it's too over bearing to a already nice image . Plus I like the way you added a red light in your movie, it proves white light is just LP light .

CameraMan
Cream of the Crop
13,336 posts
Gallery: 26 photos
Joined Dec 2010
Post edited over 3 years ago by CameraMan.

Aug 15, 2016 15:28 |  #6

Nice video and music. Great job. Really puts perspective on light pollution.

You should share that here:
https://photography-on-the.net …/showthread.php​?t=1106101

Photographer (external link) | The Toys! | Facebook (external link) | Video (external link) | Flickr (external link)
Shampoo sounds like an unfortunate name for a hair product.
You're a ghost driving a meat-coated skeleton made from stardust, riding a rock, hurtling through space. Fear Nothing!

J ­ Lee
32 posts
Joined Apr 2016

Aug 15, 2016 19:37 |  #7

Amazing Thank you for sharing this.

Miki ­ G
Goldmember
1,123 posts
Joined Feb 2011

Aug 16, 2016 12:54 |  #8

Excellent work. It could be a great educational tool to show people the beauty of the universe that they are missing from their lives (with many of them not even knowing it). Many city dwellers around the globe have never even seen the milky way.

Alveric
Goldmember
4,598 posts
Gallery: 38 photos
Joined Jan 2011
Post edited over 3 years ago by Alveric.

Aug 16, 2016 13:34 |  #9
bannedPermanent ban

Miki G wrote in post #18097318 (external link)
[..]Many city dwellers around the globe have never even seen the milky way.

That describes me perfectly. I'd still have my city lights, though: they're way more useful to me than some romantic faraway luminous gaseous ball.

'The success of the second-rate is deplorable in itself; but it is more deplorable in that it very often obscures the genuine masterpiece. If the crowd runs after the false, it must neglect the true.' —Arthur Machen
Why 'The Histogram' Sux (external link)

aezoss
494 posts
Gallery: 73 photos
Joined Nov 2013

Aug 16, 2016 19:20 |  #10

Very well done. This RASC report on light pollution may be of interest:

http://www.rasc.ca …/LPA_Special_Is​sue_LR.pdf (external link)

Lee

mtbdudex
Goldmember
1,615 posts
Gallery: 21 photos
Joined Nov 2009

Aug 19, 2016 14:22 |  #11

I've made timelapse's over the years but nothing at this level of visual stunning and artistic achievement.
Kudos Mr Sriram Murali.

My darkest skies experience was August 1998 when I was backpacking for 14 days in Montana the Absaroka Beartooth Wilderness area.
Flew into Billings, drove to Red Lodge, and we started form there, a small group of 8 people and 2 guides.
Everything we need we carried in, no resupply.
Saw only 1 other group of people, and had a few encounters with bears but nothing deadly.

About 1/2 way into the expedition it was a new moon, August 21, and so dark literally you could not see your hands in front of you.
The was of course before digital cameras, I remember laying on my back for 2 hours and looking into the skies and so much amazed.

The hair on my neck stands up thinking about it, I've only experienced truly dark skies like that a few times.

I wonder what it would rate on the scale, as I can't imagine there was any light pollution there.

Mike R, P.E. ...iMac 27"(i7), iPad2, iPhone5s, 24" iMac, AppleTV(160), MacBook
Canon: 70D, T1i + lens:70-200 L f2.8 IS II / TC 1.4x 2x / 15-85 / f1.4 50 / UWA 11-16 Tokina
FEISOL tripod CT-3441S + CB-40D Ball Head, iOptron EQ tracker
My top 10 in Astrophotography. . .DIY acoustic panels (external link) . . APOD Aug-5-2011 (external link)

srirampm
THREAD ­ STARTER
20 posts
Joined Jul 2015

Aug 19, 2016 23:36 as a reply to  @ mtbdudex's post |  #12

Thank you!

DreDaze
happy with myself for not saying anything stupid
18,113 posts
Gallery: 45 photos
Joined Mar 2006

Aug 19, 2016 23:58 |  #13

nicely done...makes me look even more forward to my upcoming stay at a fire look-out tower near shasta...just hoping to get one cool image...i have a few weeks to figure out how to get great milky way shots :-)

Andre or Dre
gear list
Instagram (external link)
flickr (external link)

Butts
I coulda shoulda woulda
511 posts
Joined Feb 2008

Aug 20, 2016 07:56 |  #14

Excellent! Loved it.

raksphoto
505 posts
Gallery: 19 photos
Joined Jun 2010

Aug 20, 2016 10:25 |  #15

That was fabulous!

2x 7D Mark II | 70D | 5DSr
EF-S 10-18mm f/3.5-5.6 IS STM | EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM |
EF-S 70-300mm f/4-5.6 IS II USM | EF 70-200mm f/4L |
EF 135mm f/2L | EF 100mm f/2 | EF 85mm f/1.8 | EF 50mm f/1.2L | EF 35mm f/1.4L EF 100mm f/2.8L IS USM MACRO

sponsored links

3,774 views & 21 likes for this thread
My short film on light pollution
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Astronomy & Celestial 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.