Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Astronomy & Celestial Talk 
Thread started 16 Aug 2016 (Tuesday) 08:41
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

What are these rings on my startrail photo?

cookiejay
113 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jun 2012

Aug 16, 2016 08:41 |  #1

OK, better if you just look at the photo as I'm not sure how to explain it.
What are the rings making it look like I've taken a photo of a monitor???
Does the same in Photoshop and StarStax regardless of how I try and process them.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated as it's highly irritating.

Thanks

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

"It's a shame about the professional photographer" ~ Some Guy, overheard at my first wedding gig :lol: flickr (external link)

sponsored links
Celestron
Cream of the Crop
8,526 posts
Joined Jun 2007

Aug 16, 2016 08:51 |  #2

Did you take a photo with your camera of the monitor screen or did you do "Print Screen" and save as a jpeg ? Hard to really tell from the above image what all rings are you talking about . I do see a small circle of about 3-4 rings but I don't know if that's from your monitor or camera lens ?

urbanfreestyle
I am a squirrel who loves rubbing bottles and I have Nuts in my drawers, too!
2,046 posts
Gallery: 9 photos
Joined Dec 2013

Aug 16, 2016 08:54 |  #3

almost looks like newton rings lol! would be interested to find out what it is... did you have any filters on the lens?

Facebook (external link)
Canon 1D Mk IV | Canon 50mm 1.8 Mk1 | Sigma 'Bigma' 50-500 | Fuji XE1 | Helios 44/m | 50mm 1.4 | Manfrotto 055CX PRO3 | 3LT Mohawk ballhead | Lubitel 2 med format camera |

MalVeauX
"Looks rough and well used"
13,135 posts
Gallery: 1603 photos
Best ofs: 4
Joined Feb 2013
Post edited over 2 years ago by MalVeauX. (4 edits in all)

Aug 16, 2016 08:54 |  #4

Hrm,

I see the grid in your image, it's moire pattern.

It's a result of the stacking software and the processing bringing out the grid pattern (high frequencies from the Bayer matrix) from the stack.

Try processing the sub frames with your typical workflow as a batch, then stack them. Another option is to downsample it and then stack and see if the pattern remains.

Very best,

My Flickr (external link) :: My Astrobin (external link)

cookiejay
THREAD ­ STARTER
113 posts
Joined Jun 2012

Aug 16, 2016 11:29 |  #5

Thanks all!
I've no idea what it was but it had something to do with the post processing in Lightroom before exporting them.
No idea why as I didn't do anything differently.

MalVeaux - thanks for putting a name to it, made it much easier to Google!

"It's a shame about the professional photographer" ~ Some Guy, overheard at my first wedding gig :lol: flickr (external link)

TCampbell
452 posts
Gallery: 13 photos
Joined Apr 2012

Aug 18, 2016 12:11 |  #6

I'm assuming this is a stack of many images and not a single image (based on how far the stars moved).

I'm wondering if this isn't an artifact of moiré from the image registration (aligning the frames for stacking).

cookiejay
THREAD ­ STARTER
113 posts
Joined Jun 2012

Aug 18, 2016 15:58 as a reply to  @ TCampbell's post |  #7

If I remember correctly I think it was 32 photos altogether.
However I re-ran the post processing again, this time I didn't do any cropping and only made slight adjustments to the exposure etc and it came out perfectly without any moire.

Never happened to me before so it must have been an adjustment I had made in while in Lightroom before exporting them.

sponsored links

1,753 views & 2 likes for this thread
What are these rings on my startrail photo?
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Astronomy & Celestial Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.