Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 15 Aug 2016 (Monday) 19:41
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Canon 80D and Shutter Shock?

lsquare
Goldmember
1,933 posts
Joined Apr 2008

Aug 15, 2016 19:41 |  #1

Does anyone here know if the 80D have any shutter shock issues at any shutter speed like the 5Ds? I'm a little worried since I'm planning to buy the 80D. I figure I should ask before I commit.

BigAl007
Cream of the Crop
8,028 posts
Gallery: 543 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2010

Aug 17, 2016 04:58 |  #2

I don't know but I think it's wildly overblown if it does exist on the 5DS. After all you don't hear anything about it on the 7DII, or any of the other 18 MPix APS-C sensors, and they all have pretty close linear resolutions. If you are going to view the image at around 100 PPI, and view it from a foot or two away you might start to see some camera shake. I think the real question to ask is how large are you planning on displaying the images? The odd thing is that this shutter shock thing only seems to be being talked about in relation to high resolution 35mm format cameras, and completely ignored when looking at APS-C bodies. Canon have had a 24MPix APS-C body out for quite a while now in one of the XXXD/Reble line of cameras, with I think no real complaints, or at least anything that has generated threads on POTN.

I had this discussion with at Canon rep at my local camera dealer (WEX) when I suggested that I would like to use a 5DS, with a 600mm lens to shoot airshows, where my usual shutter speed was going to be 1/160s. His serious suggestion was that a 5DS would be worse than useless, and I would be much better off with a 7DII, because of the "shutter shock" issue. I then pointed out to him that as even with the 600mm lens I often find that I need to crop so that I am using only a 15×10mm area of the sensor, and that both cameras would give me pretty much the same number of pixels in that area, so what's the difference? Oh that would mean shooting with a 900mm lens on APS-C, or a 1440mm lens on 35mm format to shoot that field of view without cropping.

Given this I think it's something Canon have been talking up, so that pixel peepers using the 5DS don't start moaning about images, because "Canon warned you about it".

Alan

My Flickr (external link)
My new Aviation images blog site (external link)

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

1,642 views & 0 likes for this thread
Canon 80D and Shutter Shock?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.