Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Community Talk, Chatter & Official Stuff The Lounge 
Thread started 10 Aug 2016 (Wednesday) 21:54
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Arrogance and condescension in some comments. Am I overly sensitive and the only one?

Bassat
"I am still in my underwear."
7,914 posts
Joined Oct 2015

Aug 11, 2016 15:44 |  #31

As Ren & Stimpy used to say (perhaps they still do?), "Happy, happy! Joy, joy!"

Tom

sponsored links
welshwizard1971
Goldmember
1,347 posts
Joined Aug 2012

Aug 11, 2016 16:32 |  #32

I think this forum is generally the best run and most civilised I've ever come across, apart from one sub section, where the participants of this particular avenue of professional photography seem extraordinarily defensive and previous about what they do. And I can see why, it looks like bloody hard work to me, but they're generally perceived as 'snappers' on very good money, totally unfair and unjustified. I made the mistake of venturing in there, they mentioned an aspect of their business where their experience of what happens ( in the USA ) was very different to what I had experienced several times ( in the UK ) both as an observer and as an employer of that sort of photographer, and I mentioned this variance. So this was direct experience as a customer, I knew what I was talking about from other experiences, all I can do is talk from my experience, and I articulated it in a very neutral way, just as an aside really. All hell let loose, abuse, accused of being a troll, they ganged up on me to abuse me, to complain about me, and I ended up being banned for ten days I think? I asked the moderator why I'd been banned ( which happened immediately after I'd apologised for any offence to defuse the situation and asked where I had caused the offence as I was genuinely baffled ) and they sided with the 'clique' accusing me of being a troll. I haven't come close to having any issues with anybody on this site before, or since, or on any other site ( I used to moderate on two ) but that lot? Fair to say, I don't go in there any more, the easy answer to any problems on any forum........

5DIII, 40D, 16-35L 35 ART 50 ART 100L macro, 24-70 L Mk2, 135L 200L 70-200L f4 IS
Hype chimping - The act of looking at your screen after every shot, then wildly behaving like it's the best picture in the world, to try and impress other photographers around you.

itsallart
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
6,969 posts
Gallery: 452 photos
Best ofs: 4
Joined Jan 2015

Aug 11, 2016 17:30 |  #33

Ian Mackie wrote in post #18092896 (external link)
Now look what you started!  :p

another awesome thread, right? :p:twisted:

Renata
Seeing lights and shadows is an art :)
Renata Sharman (external link)Tanami Muse (external link)
Facebook (external link) 500px (external link)
Live Event Painting (external link)

OhLook
Spiderwoman
16,958 posts
Gallery: 70 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Dec 2012

Aug 12, 2016 01:31 |  #34

welshwizard1971 wrote in post #18092956 (external link)
I think this forum is generally the best run and most civilised I've ever come across, apart from one sub section

IMO there's more than one subforum like that. I agree with your main point.

PRONOUN ADVISORY: OhLook is a she. | A FEW CORRECT SPELLINGS: lens, aperture, amateur, hobbyist, per se, raccoon, whoa, more so (2 wds.), shoo-in | IMAGE EDITING OK

welshwizard1971
Goldmember
1,347 posts
Joined Aug 2012

Aug 12, 2016 12:29 |  #35

I'll avoid them too then when I come across them, so much negativity in the world, why invite more into your life on purpose
?

5DIII, 40D, 16-35L 35 ART 50 ART 100L macro, 24-70 L Mk2, 135L 200L 70-200L f4 IS
Hype chimping - The act of looking at your screen after every shot, then wildly behaving like it's the best picture in the world, to try and impress other photographers around you.

texkam
"Just let me be a stupid photographer."
1,224 posts
Joined Mar 2012

Aug 12, 2016 15:50 |  #36

Life's too short, let it go. It's just an Internet forum.

AZGeorge
Goldmember
2,237 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Dec 2010

Aug 16, 2016 18:17 |  #37

Without any delay for it to ruin even a minute of your time, throw any comment you don't like into the well of forgetfulness. Even this one.

George
Democracy Dies in Darkness

Alveric
Goldmember
4,463 posts
Gallery: 36 photos
Joined Jan 2011

Aug 16, 2016 19:39 as a reply to  @ AZGeorge's post |  #38

I forgot where the well was....

'The success of the second-rate is deplorable in itself; but it is more deplorable in that it very often obscures the genuine masterpiece. If the crowd runs after the false, it must neglect the true.' —Arthur Machen
Why 'The Histogram' Sux (external link)

eddieb1
769 posts
Joined Apr 2013

Aug 18, 2016 10:14 |  #39

itsallart wrote in post #18092292 (external link)
I have really enjoyed this forum and have had a blast posting, commenting etc. However, recently I have noticed an increasing number of arrogant and condescending comments in quite a few threads. I'm almost on the verge of leaving this place for good. I already have stopped posting in certain threads because I couldn't handle the attitude and of some members (including moderators! YES or some other high ranking folks). Perhaps I am overly sensitive or overly old school. I tried to be very, very kind if I ever had to express any critique etc.
I would like to hear some honest feedback from other members. Thanks :)

I don't think you are overly sensitive. Being arrogant and condescending has become the norm in society as a whole. The "me" crowd doesn't care what they say, or how it affects anyone. This forum is no different then any other. Good thing there are more good people here.

Chet
my rates fluctuate
42,828 posts
Gallery: 125 photos
Joined Sep 2007
Post edited over 2 years ago by Chet.

Aug 18, 2016 10:37 |  #40

This is a lot to read and has math and big words. So, what did I miss?

Curator of the Bob's Pickle Emporium experience. -As always, One location to serve you better!
~Feel good today and donate to this great forum~ LINK
My Gear List

BlakeC
"Dad was a meat cutter"
2,673 posts
Gallery: 372 photos
Joined Jul 2014

Aug 18, 2016 11:01 |  #41

itsallart wrote in post #18092292 (external link)
I have really enjoyed this forum and have had a blast posting, commenting etc. However, recently I have noticed an increasing number of arrogant and condescending comments in quite a few threads. I'm almost on the verge of leaving this place for good. I already have stopped posting in certain threads because I couldn't handle the attitude and of some members (including moderators! YES or some other high ranking folks). Perhaps I am overly sensitive or overly old school. I tried to be very, very kind if I ever had to express any critique etc.
I would like to hear some honest feedback from other members. Thanks :)

welcome to the modern internet. That's just how it is. People are more blunt and rude online because they have their screen to hide behind. Also, people come off rude when they don't mean to bc it is difficult to convey tone in text. I know i sound like an ass quite often, bc i am short with my txt. :)

Blake C
BlakeC-Photography.com (external link)
Follow Me on Facebook (external link) , Instagram (external link), or Google+ (external link)
80D |70D | SL1 - Σ 18-35 1.8 ART, Σ 50-100 1.8 ART, Σ 17-50 2.8, Canon 24 2.8 Pancake, Canon 50 1.8 STM, Canon 10-18 STM, Canon 18-135 STM

drmaxx
972 posts
Gallery: 17 photos
Joined Jul 2010

Aug 18, 2016 11:16 as a reply to  @ BlakeC's post |  #42

Don't forget that not everybody here on the board is native English speaking. Things might come off rude when improperly 'translated'.

Donate if you love POTN

PineBomb
I have many notable flaws
2,470 posts
Gallery: 92 photos
Joined Apr 2014

Aug 18, 2016 11:17 |  #43

BlakeC wrote in post #18099087 (external link)
I know i sound like an ass quite often, bc i am short with my txt. :)

That explains it. ;-)a

-Matt
Website (external link) | flickr (external link) | instagram (external link) | street portrait project on instagram (external link)

rrblint
Listen! .... do you smell something?
21,088 posts
Gallery: 38 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined May 2012

Sep 15, 2016 01:24 |  #44

This is the best moderated forum(of it's size) on the Internet and most members are great. Still, things can get out of hand sometimes. Look at it as an aberration rather than the norm.

Mark

Scatterbrained
Cream of the Crop
8,416 posts
Gallery: 211 photos
Best ofs: 11
Joined Jan 2010

Sep 15, 2016 02:42 |  #45

BlakeC wrote in post #18099087 (external link)
welcome to the modern internet. That's just how it is. People are more blunt and rude online because they have their screen to hide behind. Also, people come off rude when they don't mean to bc it is difficult to convey tone in text. I know i sound like an ass quite often, bc i am short with my txt. :)

I'm actually much ruder in real life than online. :twisted: I take great pride in my sarcasm and overall cynical attitude. :-)

VanillaImaging.com (external link)"Vacuous images for the Vapid consumer"
500px (external link)
flickr (external link)
1x (external link)
instagram (external link)

sponsored links

6,054 views & 27 likes for this thread
Arrogance and condescension in some comments. Am I overly sensitive and the only one?
FORUMS Community Talk, Chatter & Official Stuff The Lounge 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.