Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS News & Rumors Camera Rumors and Predictions 
Thread started 26 Feb 2016 (Friday) 06:37
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Camera Sales went down again in 2015

BlakeC
"Dad was a meat cutter"
2,673 posts
Gallery: 372 photos
Joined Jul 2014

Mar 23, 2016 15:54 |  #31

Wilt wrote in post #17945961 (external link)
I see someone finally caught on to the joke I was making here!

You are right, though, something laid an egg which developed somewhat accidentally into the primitive chicken, and it survived and did well enough to continue the Darwin saga.
And somehow it found another evolved thing that it could mate with, to create others.

it does cause me to wonder, if via the miracles of the medical means of increasing survivability even of 'defective' organisms, that we humans are not causing a DECLINE in the quality of our own gene pool...even the less than fit survive!

"Survival of the fittest" doesn't mean what it used to.

Blake C
BlakeC-Photography.com (external link)
Follow Me on Facebook (external link) , Instagram (external link), or Google+ (external link)
80D |70D | SL1 - Σ 18-35 1.8 ART, Σ 50-100 1.8 ART, Σ 17-50 2.8, Canon 24 2.8 Pancake, Canon 50 1.8 STM, Canon 10-18 STM, Canon 18-135 STM

sponsored links
welshwizard1971
Goldmember
1,347 posts
Joined Aug 2012

Mar 23, 2016 16:21 |  #32

Left Handed Brisket wrote in post #17915399 (external link)
It's time momtographers stop trying to charge for non professional results using a window, a lamp, and a wide open EFS 5.6 kit lens.

Had to google 'momtographer', I understand now, lots of anti male reactions calling the term derogatory which is fair enough, but I get the gist of the term. More of an issue in the UK is the younger retired people made redundant in the financial crisis doing the job for pin money to top up the pension, so not just 'moms'. Out of interest I came across a site where a woman was boasting about she she went from a 'momtographer to a pretty darn good income photographer', illustrated by a very out of focus picture on her home page...............

5DIII, 40D, 16-35L 35 ART 50 ART 100L macro, 24-70 L Mk2, 135L 200L 70-200L f4 IS
Hype chimping - The act of looking at your screen after every shot, then wildly behaving like it's the best picture in the world, to try and impress other photographers around you.

Wilt
Reader's Digest Condensed version of War and Peace [POTN Vol 1]
40,355 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2005
Post edited over 2 years ago by Wilt.

Mar 23, 2016 16:35 |  #33

Nathan wrote in post #17946003 (external link)
I'm a little confused by Hilbig's explanation about the Fun Factor. I haven't watched that part of the presentation, though. However, what's the difference between saying a smartphone's "fun factor" is the cause behind declining camera sales versus a smartphone being the cause? Again, I may be missing the point because I'm guessing at what his reasoning is. I have to watch the rest of the video..

IIRC, the 'fun factor' is related inversely to the difficulty of use of the camera and its controls and menu system, according to Hilbig. The 'fun factor' is not present for the dSLR, so its adoption by casual users (snapshooters) is not motivated...possible new users are inclined NOT to purchase because it is 'too hard to use' Admittedly, unlike the SLRs of the past, dSLRs have these non-intuitive, layered menu options in which it is hard to find how to turn on some feature you know is there, but cannot find. And each camera is different, so moving from one to another is challenging.

(hmmm...starting to sound like modern cars with these damn menu and controller options!)...you USED TO be able to jump in a rental and find the headlight switch in the dark on the first day you have the car, or to adjust the dash illumination, but that is very hard to do with menus in a strange car! I wonder when we will see a decline in car sales, like the dSLR decline?! :twisted: )

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost! Keep POTN alive and well with member support https://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention

Nathan
So boring
7,715 posts
Gallery: 16 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Aug 2007

Mar 24, 2016 14:54 as a reply to  @ Wilt's post |  #34

I didn't get to see the rest of the presentation last night. However, I got notification that there was a response to my comment on Youtube (I'm raggedsweater) and it looks like it might have come from Hilbig directly.

Taking photos with a fancy camera does not make me a photographer.
www.nathantpham.com (external link) | Boston POTN Flickr (external link) |
5D3 x2 | 16-35L II | 35 L | 50L | 85L II | 135L | 580 EX II x2

EOS-Mike
Goldmember
1,019 posts
Gallery: 28 photos
Joined Oct 2013

Mar 30, 2016 10:05 |  #35

I believe cellphones are the key factor in current photography trends. The newer iPhones (and Android devices) take really good photos and allow for a wide range of creative features that are not only helpful, but fun as well. I spend more time playing on my iPhone now than on the computer processing photos from my 6D.

I'll never give up on bigger sensors, however, and am glad I know how to use them. When I want a good photo I'll use a full-featured camera.

The iPhone has definitely put an end to my days of point and shoot. Back when Motorola and Nokia dominated the market I was a three-device guy: phone for calls and texts, P&S for convenience, and DSLR for photography. Now it's just phone and DSLR (which is still with me 90% of the time).

Product maturity is also a factor, like others mentioned. There haven't been major breakthroughs that affect what I shoot (portraits, landscapes, macro, architecture). My 6D is as relevant as anything new for my needs. So my purchasing frequency is much lower than it used to be.

Sony A7 III
All my Canon gear is on sale here.

dinanm3atl
Goldmember
3,120 posts
Joined Feb 2008

Aug 19, 2016 23:23 |  #36

smythie wrote in post #17915373 (external link)
I wonder if longer product cycles could also be a contributing factor to the decline in camera sales

Sure it is part of it. It's much like computers/tablets(and smartphones). The level of upgrade of each release has become what could be described as nothing of excitement. It used to be 12-18 months and major strides were made. Yes strides are made but for someone doing portraits/model work is going from a 5D MK3 to the new MK4 going to be huge? In a studio with proper lighting and good lenses. Doubtful.

The list goes into other markets.

Past that, yes smartphones are TAKING OVER. Fast! Just in my world people are pushing PR and other posts on social media with smartphone photography. For stills the quality is 'good enough' and costs nothing extra. And it fulfills the instant gratification most want.

Halston - MotorSports Photographer
1Dx - 1Dx - A7r - 400L f/2.8 - 70-200L f/2.8 - 24-105L f/4 - 17-40L f/4 - 50 f/1.4 - 8mm f/3.5 Fisheye - 1.4x TC - 2x TC
Photography Site (external link)

Wilt
Reader's Digest Condensed version of War and Peace [POTN Vol 1]
40,355 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2005
Post edited over 2 years ago by Wilt.

Aug 20, 2016 00:32 |  #37

dinanm3atl wrote in post #18100495 (external link)
Past that, yes smartphones are TAKING OVER. Fast! Just in my world people are pushing PR and other posts on social media with smartphone photography. For stills the quality is 'good enough' and costs nothing extra. And it fulfills the instant gratification most want.

The marketing analyses discussed at photographic tradeshows have shown little correlation between smartphones rising and dSLR decline. If anything one might say there is a good correlation with rise of smartphones and decline of P&S. Our own oldest daughter quit carrying a quality P&S we had given her for Xmas a few years ago, and uses her smartphone camera exclusively. But there is a lot of active debate about the real effect of smartphones, vs. other factors such as consumer uncertainty about world economics, and the fact that living costs are outpacing salaries so the consumer simply feels poorer.

It certainly does not help that newspapers have difficulty keeping photographers on staff as their readership shrinks, and more and more smartphone shots are submitted by the general public, eroding the need for a staff of photographers and the gear provided to them by the newspapers.

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost! Keep POTN alive and well with member support https://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention

sponsored links

8,728 views & 11 likes for this thread
Camera Sales went down again in 2015
FORUMS News & Rumors Camera Rumors and Predictions 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.