Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Sony Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Sony Cameras 
Thread started 12 Aug 2016 (Friday) 16:03
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Sony A7rii Off Camera Flash Options

ticker67
34 posts
Joined Aug 2016

Aug 12, 2016 16:03 |  #1

Hi. I am going to be taking some engagement photos for some friends and would like to try some off camera flash. Practice ahead of time, of course. Does anyone have specific experience with any of the off camera flash options that can make recommendations?
Thanks!!!

mike1812
338 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Aug 18, 2016 12:53 |  #2

I recently bought the Nissin Air Commander and Receiver to use with my Sony HVL-60M. I've only had the opportunity to use once so far. Overall, the combo worked fine. Pairing the devices is simple, and it gives you pretty decent control. I had the flash mounted on a stand in a softbox and had no real issues triggering (other than normal battery recycle time on the flash) for the first couple hours of my shoot. I noticed about 2 hours in (approximately) that I was having consistency issues in firing, and determined that my standard Duracell alkaline batteries in the Commander were giving out. I normally would use Eneloops but they weren't charged. Since I've only used once, I can't say if this is indicative of normal use (my batteries may been weak to start with). I'll test more with fully charged Eneloops to see how things go, but in terms of usability, I really like it. The other aspect I like is that I can add the Nissin flashes (Di700A and i60A) to the system and have all controlled by the same Commander. The Commander has the ability to do 3 groups, to adjust FEC, manual zoom, and manual output control.

Sony has announced (released?) their flash trigger/receiver system, but it is significantly more expensive than the Nissin product (I don't know the specs yet to know what, if any, additional features it has).

Finally, GODOX (and all the private branded copies like Cheetah, Neewer, Flashpoint, etc) have both flash and studio strobe lights that now have Sony dedicated triggers and receivers. I really haven't looked into these much since I already had the Sony flash, but these may be an option.

EF 135L | EF 70-300 L | ST-E3-RT | (4) Einstein E640s | Sekonic L-758 | Sony A7RII Gripped | Sony A7RIII Gripped | Sony 16-35GM | Sony FE 55 f/1.8 | Sony FE 85 f/1.4 GM | Sony FE 100-400GM | Sony 1.4x | Sony HVL-60M | Sigma MC-11 | Flashpoint Xplor AD600 | Flashpoint AD200 (2)| Flashpoint AD360 | plus too many doodads to list

ticker67
THREAD ­ STARTER
34 posts
Joined Aug 2016

Aug 21, 2016 13:27 |  #3

Hoping for the new Sony flash system.

bih92
20 posts
Joined Jan 2014
Post edited over 4 years ago by bih92.

Aug 21, 2016 13:44 |  #4

try SONY HVL-F20M FLASH I use it all the time as a trigger for my 60m works very good !

Sony a99 24-70 2.8 zeiss , Canon 7d 15-85mm , Canon 7d ii 24-70 f4

ticker67
THREAD ­ STARTER
34 posts
Joined Aug 2016

Aug 27, 2016 16:17 |  #5

Thanks.

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

1,908 views & 0 likes for this thread
Sony A7rii Off Camera Flash Options
FORUMS Sony Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Sony Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.