Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Weddings & Other Family Events 
Thread started 20 Aug 2016 (Saturday) 13:55
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

A view from above...

HighPixel
Goldmember
2,061 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Feb 2007

Aug 20, 2016 13:55 |  #1

Took this image a few weeks ago with the DJI Phantom3.. I am really getting into this perspective...Not seen very often.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

No longer actively shooting...
Canon EOS-1DMk.III
| Canon EOS-5DMk.II / BG-E6 | Canon 70-200 2.8LIS Mk.II | 24-70 2.8L | 16-35 2.8LII | Just all kinds of crap...|RonBaltazar.com (external link)

sponsored links
Amadauss
667 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined Nov 2010

Aug 20, 2016 19:44 |  #2

Don't take the wrong way but that might be one of the last shots we show with the drone and maybe not even then. His thinning hair is not what I want to show any groom if it can be avoided. Have any others to show off?

1-1Dx II 1-5D Mark 4, 3-5D Mark III, 5D Mark II, 2-7D's, 70D, canon 70-200 2.8 L IS II, 24-70L II, 85 1.8, 85 1.2, 50mm, 135 mm F2 L, 17-40 , 24-105, Sigma 35 Art and 18-35 1.8, 600 EX's, Elinchrom RX and Phottix 500 strobes

dawssvt
406 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Aug 22, 2016 15:14 |  #3

Nice!

St. Louis, MO Portrait and Wedding Photographer (external link)
My Smugmug (external link)

HighPixel
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
2,061 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Feb 2007

Aug 22, 2016 23:09 as a reply to  @ Amadauss's post |  #4

Not taken the wrong way...I believe you are missing the whole point though of the image...As almost everything in this site, it's all subjective...Thanks for the input.
RB

No longer actively shooting...
Canon EOS-1DMk.III
| Canon EOS-5DMk.II / BG-E6 | Canon 70-200 2.8LIS Mk.II | 24-70 2.8L | 16-35 2.8LII | Just all kinds of crap...|RonBaltazar.com (external link)

Dan ­ Marchant
Do people actually believe in the Title Fairy?
5,217 posts
Gallery: 19 photos
Joined Oct 2011
Location: Where I'm from is unimportant, it's where I'm going that counts.

Aug 23, 2016 00:36 |  #5

HighPixel wrote in post #18100967 (external link)
thumbnail
Hosted photo: posted by HighPixel in
./showthread.php?p=181​00967&i=i68311377
forum: Weddings & Other Family Events

I like it but think it could be improved by repositioning the couple. Their shadow is a big part of the image and could be improved. Move them fractionally to the right and get the bride to move slightly so they hold hands with a gap between them and the shadow would open up a little and become much more interesting/part of the image.

Dan Marchant
Website/blog: danmarchant.com (external link)
Instagram: @dan_marchant (external link)
Gear Canon 5DIII + Fuji X-T2 + lenses + a plastic widget I found in the camera box.

DThriller
Goldmember
2,027 posts
Gallery: 78 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Dec 2011
Post edited over 2 years ago by DThriller.

Aug 26, 2016 19:38 |  #6

Yeah Ive tried over head shots like that befor. Not from a drone but from up on a wall but it only works if you arnt showing thinning hair.

I think the shot could habe worked better if you made there shadows interesting

http://www.facebook.co​m/DPhillipsStudios (external link)
http://DPhillipsStudio​s.com (external link)
@DPhillipsStudios
YouTube Channel:
https://www.youtube.co​m …/UCgAZ5-OKdg1YXONAjGu91zQ (external link)

Amadauss
667 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined Nov 2010

Aug 27, 2016 12:26 |  #7

HighPixel wrote in post #18103315 (external link)
Not taken the wrong way...I believe you are missing the whole point though of the image...As almost everything in this site, it's all subjective...Thanks for the input.
RB

I'll just add one more thing. I don't think I was missing the whole point of the image you were trying to accomplish. I think most photographers try and do create beautiful artistic images and want to show what they are capable of doing from years of experience.

What we always try to remember, even though we want to do wonderful creative things, is who we are doing this for. Bottom line is I can appreciate what you were going for, but the end user who does not have the trained eye (and not that mine is that trained either :) ) but he will not see the thought and effort you put into creating something very beautiful for them, only the top of his head and how thin he is getting. A shame that is the case but they will show that photo to no one.

I have done these as well and I never admit it but I will fill in that bald patch on occasion. Never had any negative feedback from doing so.

1-1Dx II 1-5D Mark 4, 3-5D Mark III, 5D Mark II, 2-7D's, 70D, canon 70-200 2.8 L IS II, 24-70L II, 85 1.8, 85 1.2, 50mm, 135 mm F2 L, 17-40 , 24-105, Sigma 35 Art and 18-35 1.8, 600 EX's, Elinchrom RX and Phottix 500 strobes

MBB89
256 posts
Joined Jan 2015

Aug 28, 2016 12:46 |  #8

It's a good idea but I don't really "get it." As others have said the groom's thinning hair is highlighted by this angle and the advantage of this angle is to get a new perspective on their connection or their context. I get neither of them from this shot because I can't see their faces and the context that surrounds them is uninteresting. Just my .02, just trying to provide some food for thought to make some unique images in the future.

MalVeauX
"Looks rough and well used"
13,135 posts
Gallery: 1603 photos
Best ofs: 4
Joined Feb 2013

Aug 28, 2016 13:00 |  #9

I think it's a good idea, and definitely another perspective not commonly seen.

I think it would be really neat with some interesting foliage/flowers or water (beach, or surf) with the couple looking up to make a really cracking image, to take advantage of having a wide angle and full depth of field image.

Very best,

My Flickr (external link) :: My Astrobin (external link)

sponsored links

2,420 views & 3 likes for this thread
A view from above...
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Weddings & Other Family Events 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.