Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
Thread started 22 Aug 2016 (Monday) 13:52
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Kodak Tri-x Grain question

laxlife1234
Cream of the Crop
12,432 posts
Joined Aug 2011

Aug 22, 2016 13:52 |  #1

Hello photo doods,

I am getting strange crystal-like grain pattern on my negatives. I'm not sure if it's due to the Tri-X rolls being bad rolls (although they were fresh), if it's my temperature that is off/contamination in my tank, or I am just missing something completely. Would like some advice from anyone whose encountered this problem and can let me in on a long lost secret of how to avoid this.

Thanks for the help in advance, photos of grain is attached here!

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

sponsored links
Archibald
You must be quackers!
7,676 posts
Gallery: 316 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined May 2008

Aug 22, 2016 14:21 |  #2

laxlife1234 wrote in post #18102761 (external link)
Hello photo doods,

I am getting strange crystal-like grain pattern on my negatives. I'm not sure if it's due to the Tri-X rolls being bad rolls (although they were fresh), if it's my temperature that is off/contamination in my tank, or I am just missing something completely. Would like some advice from anyone whose encountered this problem and can let me in on a long lost secret of how to avoid this.

Thanks for the help in advance, photos of grain is attached here!

Your suggestion that it might be the temperature suggests that you were not paying attention to the temperature.

https://www.ephotozine​.com …when-film-processing-4639 (external link)

Sony RX10 IV, Canon 7D2, Canon 77D, assorted Canon lenses
C&C always welcome.
Picture editing OK
Donate to POTN here

laxlife1234
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
12,432 posts
Joined Aug 2011
Post edited over 2 years ago by laxlife1234.

Aug 22, 2016 14:30 as a reply to  @ Archibald's post |  #3

And there lies my answer. Thank you, I will need to pay more attention to temperature from now on.

Edit: further reading on the subject, the temp differences between my fixer/developer are no more than +/- 5* at most, so I am a little confused how I get so much apparent reticulation. Seems like people want to achieve this effect, but considering it is modern tri-x, it should be able to withstand a few degrees temp change from developer to fixer, no?

Archibald
You must be quackers!
7,676 posts
Joined May 2008

Aug 22, 2016 14:48 |  #4

laxlife1234 wrote in post #18102808 (external link)
And there lies my answer. Thank you, I will need to pay more attention to temperature from now on.

Edit: further reading on the subject, the temp differences between my fixer/developer are no more than +/- 5* at most, so I am a little confused how I get so much apparent reticulation. Seems like people want to achieve this effect, but considering it is modern tri-x, it should be able to withstand a few degrees temp change from developer to fixer, no?

What variety of degree are we talking?

Anyway, an experiment or two should answer the question.

Are you going directly from D to F?

C&C always welcome.
Picture editing OK
Donate to POTN here

Picture ­ North ­ Carolina
Gaaaaa! DOH!! Oops!
9,108 posts
Joined Apr 2006
Post edited over 2 years ago by Picture North Carolina.

Aug 23, 2016 08:17 |  #5

laxlife1234 wrote in post #18102761 (external link)
I am getting strange crystal-like grain pattern on my negatives

Not called "grain." It's called reticulation. It is an effect some go for intentionally. Help all over the web. google (no quotes): "film developing reticulation.". Basically it is caused when taking the film from one bath to another with a dramatic temperature difference.

Edit: not limited to Tri-X. You naturally thought it was a grain issue because Tri-X is a fast, grainy film. Reticulation is damage to the emulsion caused by the temp swings and can be done on finer grain films.

Website (external link) |

laxlife1234
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
12,432 posts
Joined Aug 2011
Post edited over 2 years ago by laxlife1234. (2 edits in all)

Aug 23, 2016 17:57 |  #6

Picture North Carolina wrote in post #18103566 (external link)
Not called "grain." It's called reticulation. It is an effect some go for intentionally. Help all over the web. google (no quotes): "film developing reticulation.". Basically it is caused when taking the film from one bath to another with a dramatic temperature difference.

Edit: not limited to Tri-X. You naturally thought it was a grain issue because Tri-X is a fast, grainy film. Reticulation is damage to the emulsion caused by the temp swings and can be done on finer grain films.

It's good to know this for future - didn't appear to be a common problem I saw when searching for a solution. I guess I should check my fixer temp before my next developing sesh, definitely isn't my developer, must be the fixer!

Off topic: Are there any academic books/sites that are possibly free and useful for learning more about color developing?

Wilt
Reader's Digest Condensed version of War and Peace [POTN Vol 1]
41,247 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2005
Post edited over 2 years ago by Wilt. (2 edits in all)

Aug 23, 2016 18:21 |  #7

laxlife1234 wrote in post #18104052 (external link)
It's good to know this for future - didn't appear to be a common problem I saw when searching for a solution. I guess I should check my fixer temp before my next developing sesh, definitely isn't my developer, must be the fixer!

Off topic: Are there any academic books/sites that are possibly free and useful for learning more about color developing?

It could be ANY drastic change: stop vs developer, fixer vs stop, wash vs. fixer

Get your B&W well under control AND CONQUERED well BEFORE you even THINK about color processing...chemistry temperature controls are much much tighter for consistency of outcome in color balance.

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost! Keep POTN alive and well with member support https://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention

Archibald
You must be quackers!
7,676 posts
Joined May 2008

Aug 23, 2016 18:52 |  #8

laxlife1234 wrote in post #18104052 (external link)

Not sure what you want to know about color developing. Just follow instructions. Or do you want to know about color coupler chemistry??

C&C always welcome.
Picture editing OK
Donate to POTN here

windpig
Chopped liver
14,769 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Dec 2008

Aug 23, 2016 19:06 |  #9

Holy cow, I feel like I'm in the wayback machine.:-P

Would you like to buy a vowel?
Go ahead, spin the wheel.
flickr (external link)
I'm accross the canal just south of Ballard, the town Seattle usurped in 1907.

Archibald
You must be quackers!
7,676 posts
Joined May 2008

Aug 23, 2016 19:09 |  #10

windpig wrote in post #18104122 (external link)
Holy cow, I feel like I'm in the wayback machine.:-P

Those were the days, when photographers smelled of darkroom!

C&C always welcome.
Picture editing OK
Donate to POTN here

Wilt
41,247 posts
Joined Aug 2005
Post edited over 2 years ago by Wilt.

Aug 23, 2016 19:16 |  #11

Archibald wrote in post #18104126 (external link)

And the smell of Fixer saturates you and takes about 2 years to leave your body, it seems like a half life of 6 mo...every 6 months you smell half as bad.

Obviously exaggerating the time, but the longevity of odor is characteristic.

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost! Keep POTN alive and well with member support https://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention

Picture ­ North ­ Carolina
Gaaaaa! DOH!! Oops!
9,108 posts
Joined Apr 2006

Aug 24, 2016 05:09 |  #12

Archibald wrote in post #18104126 (external link)

Yea, I miss that. When doing prints, I never used tongs. Always used fingers, and they always smelled like it. Glorious days.

Wilt wrote in post #18104074 (external link)
Get your B&W well under control AND CONQUERED well BEFORE you even THINK about color processing...chemistry temperature controls are much much tighter for consistency of outcome in color balance.

What Wilt says a thousand times over. Don't take this the negative way it may sound, but if you're having trouble with BW. Color shouldn't even be a thought right now. I'm pulling 30-year old cobwebbed info out of my head right now, so I could be wrong, but... I tried color a couple of time. Failed miserably every time. If I remember correctly, temp tolerances for color were 1/2 degree. I did not have an environment that allowed me to hold such tight tolerances, so I gave up.

Website (external link) |

BigAl007
Cream of the Crop
7,954 posts
Gallery: 542 photos
Joined Dec 2010

Aug 24, 2016 08:01 |  #13

Picture North Carolina wrote in post #18104458 (external link)
Yea, I miss that. When doing prints, I never used tongs. Always used fingers, and they always smelled like it. Glorious days.

What Wilt says a thousand times over. Don't take this the negative way it may sound, but if you're having trouble with BW. Color shouldn't even be a thought right now. I'm pulling 30-year old cobwebbed info out of my head right now, so I could be wrong, but... I tried color a couple of time. Failed miserably every time. If I remember correctly, temp tolerances for color were 1/2 degree. I did not have an environment that allowed me to hold such tight tolerances, so I gave up.

E6 processing got to be not two bad, as it was possible to bring the temperatures down to around 20 celsius (I think that is about 60F IIRC) which meant room temp. This was great, as you could mix everything, then leave it an hour or two so that everything would stabilise at room temp. Which I also what I used to do with monochrome to avoid the reticulation issue. You then just adjust the timings to match the exact ambient temp. A friend of mines dad worked for Agfa and was able to get me a sample pack of a system that the company introduced that allowed printing from transparencies, and only required dish development in a dilute solution of Sodium Hydroxide. The results were very good, but the system although easy to use never really became popular. It was very much easier than Cibachrome.

Alan

My Flickr (external link)
My new Aviation images blog site (external link)

Wilt
41,247 posts
Joined Aug 2005
Post edited over 2 years ago by Wilt. (2 edits in all)

Aug 24, 2016 10:35 |  #14

Picture North Carolina wrote in post #18104458 (external link)
What Wilt says a thousand times over. Don't take this the negative way it may sound, but if you're having trouble with BW. Color shouldn't even be a thought right now. .

Yes, I had absolutely NO negative thoughts when previously writing, but speaking from 45 years of experience in the darkroom, including Cibachrome prints, trying to give sage advice.

I recall as a 14 year old trying color transparency for the first time, and also color printing...I did not yet have B&W down pat to where everything was easy and natural and well controlled without much thought. In fact, my color transparency experience came under the tutelege of a veteran industrial photographer, and the first thing he had to teach me was loading a stainless steel film reel. Fast forward 4+ years, after 2000 hours had accumulated in the darkroom meeting publication deadlines of the HS newspaper, and color processing was not at all a blur like it had been before mastering the B&W darkroom.

If you have to try to figure out WHY RETICULATION and at what step it is being caused, you do not yet have your process down pat and second nature.
Do yourself a favor...Learn to walk before you try to run and stumble.

Wilt
41,247 posts
Joined Aug 2005
Post edited over 2 years ago by Wilt.

Aug 24, 2016 10:43 |  #15

BigAl007 wrote in post #18104512 (external link)
E6 processing got to be not two bad, as it was possible to bring the temperatures down to around 20 celsius (I think that is about 60F IIRC) which meant room temp. This was great, as you could mix everything, then leave it an hour or two so that everything would stabilise at room temp. Which I also what I used to do with monochrome to avoid the reticulation issue. You then just adjust the timings to match the exact ambient temp. A friend of mines dad worked for Agfa and was able to get me a sample pack of a system that the company introduced that allowed printing from transparencies, and only required dish development in a dilute solution of Sodium Hydroxide. The results were very good, but the system although easy to use never really became popular. It was very much easier than Cibachrome.

Alan

Yes, today's chemistry makes it much easier to do color.

But a veteran in the darkroom should already KNOW what to do when the chemistry is not conveniently already AT the proper temperature, and can to it without much thought. Depending upon where you live, your room might be under 68°F or over 68°F due to being in a cold snap or in a heat wave, and if the chemistry is impossible to get to right temperature under those circumstance (e.g. 'room temp' is too warm, and the cold water comes out of the taps at 75°F.) you need to be able to deal with the challenge. Trying to do color with those different techniques of coping already learned makes the processing of color much less daunting.

sponsored links

2,790 views & 4 likes for this thread
Kodak Tri-x Grain question
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.