Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS News & Rumors Camera Rumors and Predictions 
Thread started 21 Jul 2016 (Thursday) 08:39
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

5D Mark IV announced August 25th

this thread is locked
sploo
premature adulation
2,400 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Nov 2011

Aug 25, 2016 10:39 |  #346

Left Handed Brisket wrote in post #18105791 (external link)
when the 1DXII came out it seemed all the preproduction versions of the camera had an embargo on posting RAW, think there was talk that canon might have even made them straight out of camera JPG only. Probably the same thing here ... won't get real samples until the camera ships.

it is extremely processor intensive to capture video on a 30MP sensor and then down size it to 4K and move it on to the memory card. Plus i believe there is greater potential for moire.

if video is captured from only the center portion of the sensor, the MP count is much lower and the whole process is more efficient.

not sure but I think sony does the same thing with the a6300

Given the amount of general processing involved in modern cameras I must say I'm a bit surprised it's not possible to down sample the whole frame. That said, the 5D3 was exactly 3x 1080p (with a little cropping) so I wonder if that was done to make processing easier.

Camera, some lenses, too little time, too little talent

sponsored links
Silver-Halide
800 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Jan 2015

Aug 25, 2016 10:41 |  #347

Sorry to complain but I'm really disappointed that the max flash sync speed is still 1/200sec. I'd expect at least 1/250 to be able to kill more ambient light as I often shoot formal photos in bright sunlight. Also let down by the UHS-I for the SD card slot. While its faster than the 133x of the Mark III, these dual pixel raw files will probably slow it down to not being much faster between bursts :rolleyes:

Echoes in Eternity LLC | Tucson and Southern Arizona Wedding Photographer (external link)

SuzyView
Cream of the Crop
32,073 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Oct 2005

Aug 25, 2016 10:43 |  #348

I now have to decide which lens to get. I need the 24-70 2.8 II. I want to get the 16-35 III, but I don't need it. I have the 17-40 and that is my go to lens for landscapes. What to do?

Suzie - Still Speaking Canonese!
5DIV, 7D2, SL1, G12, iPad Pro, iPhone 6P, 5 L's & 2 Primes, 25 bags.
My children are the reason, but it's the passion that drives me to get the perfect image of everything.

Silver-Halide
800 posts
Joined Jan 2015

Aug 25, 2016 10:44 |  #349

Use a tripod and stop your lens down. Most of the cutting edge lenses are about pushing the sharpness shot wide open. differences become smaller at f/8 :-D

Echoes in Eternity LLC | Tucson and Southern Arizona Wedding Photographer (external link)

Wilt
Reader's Digest Condensed version of War and Peace [POTN Vol 1]
41,262 posts
Joined Aug 2005
Post edited over 2 years ago by Wilt. (3 edits in all)

Aug 25, 2016 11:02 |  #350

Silver-Halide wrote in post #18105808 (external link)
Sorry to complain but I'm really disappointed that the max flash sync speed is still 1/200sec. I'd expect at least 1/250 to be able to kill more ambient light as I often shoot formal photos in bright sunlight. Also let down by the UHS-I for the SD card slot. While its faster than the 133x of the Mark III, these dual pixel raw files will probably slow it down to not being much faster between bursts :rolleyes:

Simple physics!

• Horizontal travel cloth curtain FP shutter limited to 1/60
  • Vertical travel metal curtain FP shutter in film SLRs limited to 1/125
  • Vertical travel smaller (APS-C) FP shutter curtain limited to 1/250
  • Vertical travel larger (FF) FP shutter curtain limited to 1/200

The curtains travel from top to bottom at a set rate of speed, the 'fully open' time is when the electronic flash is fired. Curtain travel rate would need to be faster, leading to likely design issues. Canon is not alone in needing to comply with the design constraints imposed by physics.

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost! Keep POTN alive and well with member support https://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention

dinanm3atl
Goldmember
3,120 posts
Joined Feb 2008

Aug 25, 2016 11:04 |  #351

3500. Kind of disappointing. I'll wait for the 'It's not really great' guy to post one used.

Also the dual pixel thing seems to have some function but not as great as some thought it might be.

Halston - MotorSports Photographer
1Dx - 1Dx - A7r - 400L f/2.8 - 70-200L f/2.8 - 24-105L f/4 - 17-40L f/4 - 50 f/1.4 - 8mm f/3.5 Fisheye - 1.4x TC - 2x TC
Photography Site (external link)

sploo
premature adulation
2,400 posts
Joined Nov 2011

Aug 25, 2016 11:07 |  #352

SuzyView wrote in post #18105814 (external link)
I now have to decide which lens to get. I need the 24-70 2.8 II. I want to get the 16-35 III, but I don't need it. I have the 17-40 and that is my go to lens for landscapes. What to do?

The 16-35 f/4 IS is very, very sharp. On a par with the 24-70 II from samples I've tested. Unless you need f/2.8 then I'd save cash and go for that.

Camera, some lenses, too little time, too little talent

rantercsr
Goldmember
2,842 posts
Gallery: 34 photos
Joined Mar 2014
Post edited over 2 years ago by rantercsr.

Aug 25, 2016 11:09 |  #353

As far as 4k video goes .
The sony a6300 crops to produce a 16×9 aspect ratio.. so a little of top and bottom..

That being said the a6300 has overheating issues , so i wont say .." see sony can do it"
Although firmware updates have improved this ..and on a7sii,

I got a couple of Cameras and lenses ...Canon, Sony, Fuji, Pansonic, pentax
My portraits IG (external link)My everything else IG (external link)
MY flickr (external link)
My latest YT video -->https://youtu.be/YzJ1o​eiHm7Y (external link)

Silver-Halide
800 posts
Joined Jan 2015

Aug 25, 2016 12:03 |  #354

Wilt wrote in post #18105835 (external link)
Simple physics!

The curtains travel from top to bottom at a set rate of speed, the 'fully open' time is when the electronic flash is fired. Curtain travel rate would need to be faster, leading to likely design issues. Canon is not alone in needing to comply with the design constraints imposed by physics.

Interesting. Thanks.

Why was the uber early Nikon D1 able to sync @1/500?

John ­ Sheehy
Goldmember
2,573 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Aug 25, 2016 12:23 |  #355

Talley wrote in post #18105735 (external link)
Crop is only when you are shooting 4k when you are shooting in 1080 there is no crop. I only plan on using the 4K for its frame grab feature for baseball hitting and pitching. Maybe a few other things but for video I'm sticking with 1080 so no issues for me

So you are saying that it gets 4K video *only* by cropping; not just an option? Unfortunately, that means more noise for 4K video than for 1080, if 1080 doesn't use line-skipping, as the 5D3 doesn't do (and which makes its high-ISO video better than the 6D's, even though the 6D is a little better with stills).

John ­ Sheehy
Goldmember
2,573 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Aug 25, 2016 12:26 |  #356

Silver-Halide wrote in post #18105808 (external link)
Sorry to complain but I'm really disappointed that the max flash sync speed is still 1/200sec.

Sad to see Fred Flintstone tech still mixed in with the George Jetson tech, isn't it?

rantercsr
Goldmember
2,842 posts
Gallery: 34 photos
Joined Mar 2014
Post edited over 2 years ago by rantercsr.

Aug 25, 2016 12:28 as a reply to  @ John Sheehy's post |  #357

Unless you downscale to 1080 after done with edits .. i think so anyway

I know then why bother with 4k.. personally 95 percent of anything ive done in 4k ends up output at 1080..
Looks better then captured at 1080.plus room for crop etc.

I got a couple of Cameras and lenses ...Canon, Sony, Fuji, Pansonic, pentax
My portraits IG (external link)My everything else IG (external link)
MY flickr (external link)
My latest YT video -->https://youtu.be/YzJ1o​eiHm7Y (external link)

gjl711
According to the lazy TF, My flatulence rates
54,727 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Aug 25, 2016 12:33 |  #358

Wilt wrote in post #18105835 (external link)
Simple physics!

Thing is that their competitors, both Nikon and Sony manage 1/250. For a $3500 camera you think they could match the same specs as the 1DX and dumb it down for the 6D.

Not sure why, but call me JJ.
I used to hate math but then I realised decimals have a point.
::Flickr:: (external link)
::Gear::

John ­ Sheehy
Goldmember
2,573 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Aug 25, 2016 12:36 |  #359

rantercsr wrote in post #18105930 (external link)
Unless you downscale to 1080 after done with edits .. i think so anyway

Using a ~1.7x crop means ~1.7x the noise, compared to downsampling the whole frame at the same ISO. Of course, there will be differences in focal length to get the same FOV, so you might be using a faster, wider lens, but maybe not. If you're focal-length-limited it is not an issue, either, because you'd have to crop your movie otherwise, anyway.

There is definitely better color resolution with a full-sensor downsample, though, compared to a 100% crop.

Wilt
Reader's Digest Condensed version of War and Peace [POTN Vol 1]
41,262 posts
Joined Aug 2005
Post edited over 2 years ago by Wilt.

Aug 25, 2016 12:40 |  #360

Silver-Halide wrote in post #18105901 (external link)
Interesting. Thanks.

Why was the uber early Nikon D1 able to sync @1/500?

1. The D1 features a 2.74 megapixel 23.7 mm x 16.7 mm CCD...it was a CROP camera, not FF!
  2. its shutter could attain 1/16000 speed (!)
  3. and most importantly, Nikon added an electronic shutter on the CCD to take care of the faster speeds

but most 35mm dSLRs use CMOS, not CCD

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost! Keep POTN alive and well with member support https://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention

sponsored links

43,643 views & 83 likes for this thread
5D Mark IV announced August 25th
FORUMS News & Rumors Camera Rumors and Predictions 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.