Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
Thread started 25 Aug 2016 (Thursday) 08:25
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

5D3 buying question here......

dhornick
793 posts
Gallery: 36 photos
Joined Oct 2012

Aug 25, 2016 08:25 |  #1

What's everyone's take on an add posted by CanonPriceWatch.com about a store selling 5D3 for $1899.00. They advertise it as (Grey Market) and "imported" new unit. And this is their quote.....

"Elec.Valley via eBay is a reputable unauthorized dealer. This is a grey market / import body for which a Canon warranty is not guaranteed. Canon USA has historically honored the warranty, but this is at their discretion. They may call to confirm your order — be sure to decline any upsells".

Is this legit or stay away????

Darrell
Moved from the world of Canon DSLR to Mirrorless - Sony A7RIII | Sony 24-240mm f/3.5 | Sony 100-400 f/4.5 GM | Tamron 28-75 f/2.8 | Sony 16-35 f/2.8 GM | Flickr (external link) | https://darrellhornick​.zenfolio.com/ (external link)

sponsored links
KaosImagery
Goldmember
1,491 posts
Gallery: 28 photos
Best ofs: 3
Joined Sep 2009

Aug 25, 2016 15:52 |  #2

CPW seems well liked and they try to help people get the best deals. Many people have purchased grey market items and had good experiences.

Personally, if I'm spending that amount of money on a new item, I want to make sure I have a warranty. You can purchase a 5D3 refurbished body from Canon direct for $200 more and know you have a valid warranty (same as new.) That $200 is worth it to me. If it was, say, a $1000 difference, then I might take the chance on one that they may or may not honor the warranty...just my opinion.

Website (external link) flickr (external link) FaceBook (external link)

FarmerTed1971
fondling the 5D4
6,583 posts
Gallery: 66 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Sep 2013

Aug 25, 2016 15:57 |  #3

Wait a month.

Getting better at this - Fuji Xt-2 - Fuji X-Pro2 - Laowa 9mm - 16 1.4 - 18-55 - 23/35/50/90 f2 - 50-140 - flickr (external link) - www.scottaticephoto.co​m (external link)

Wilt
Reader's Digest Condensed version of War and Peace [POTN Vol 1]
43,041 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2005

Aug 25, 2016 16:03 |  #4

Canon reiterated within the past year that they WILL NOT honor warranty claims for grey market imported cameras. ...i.e. send it to an independent to repair.

https://www.usa.canon.​com …oducts/groups/g​ray-market (external link)

In late 2015, Canon sued several widely-known gray market retailers, including Get It Digital, All New Shop, F&E Trading (which owns Big Value, Electronics Valley, Electronics Basket, DavisMax, Netsales and Sixth Avenue). In addition to seeking the shutdown of the gray market dealers, Canon USA is also asking for the profits earned by those dealers from selling gray market goods. “The damages sought by Canon in these lawsuits could very well reach into the millions of dollars and put these companies out of business for good,” writes Photography Bay.

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost! Keep POTN alive and well with member support https://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention

PhotoPrice
180 posts
Joined Jun 2008

Aug 25, 2016 21:47 |  #5

Wilt wrote in post #18106163 (external link)
Canon reiterated within the past year that they WILL NOT honor warranty claims for grey market imported cameras. ...i.e. send it to an independent to repair.

https://www.usa.canon.​com …oducts/groups/g​ray-market (external link)

In late 2015, Canon sued several widely-known gray market retailers, including Get It Digital, All New Shop, F&E Trading (which owns Big Value, Electronics Valley, Electronics Basket, DavisMax, Netsales and Sixth Avenue). In addition to seeking the shutdown of the gray market dealers, Canon USA is also asking for the profits earned by those dealers from selling gray market goods. “The damages sought by Canon in these lawsuits could very well reach into the millions of dollars and put these companies out of business for good,” writes Photography Bay.

What Canon USA says, and what Canon USA does, are two different things.

Their policy is to not accept grey market items for warranty service; however, we haven't heard of any reports of being denied for warranty service on a grey market item, even after this lawsuit and "grey market crackdown".

Wilt
Reader's Digest Condensed version of War and Peace [POTN Vol 1]
43,041 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2005

Aug 25, 2016 23:09 |  #6

PhotoPrice wrote in post #18106534 (external link)
What Canon USA says, and what Canon USA does, are two different things.

Their policy is to not accept grey market items for warranty service; however, we haven't heard of any reports of being denied for warranty service on a grey market item, even after this lawsuit and "grey market crackdown".

I cannot disagree, Canon policy has always been in place but not well observed (in comparison to Nikon's enforcement of policy)

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost! Keep POTN alive and well with member support https://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention

Silver-Halide
836 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Jan 2015

Aug 31, 2016 23:08 |  #7

I bought my 5dIII on eBay from one of the grey market importers. No problems and I'd do it again.

Echoes in Eternity LLC | Tucson and Southern Arizona Wedding Photographer (external link)

tdlavigne
364 posts
Joined Mar 2015

Sep 01, 2016 02:55 |  #8

Canon seems to have better QC with bodies overall (former Canon user, current Nikon, as well as Fuji and Sony in the past too) than anyone else. They're the one brand I wouldn't think twice about buying a grey market body. Worst case scenario (on the off chance there's something wrong with the body) you can try Canon, or go to a 3rd party for repair...on the bright side the 5D3 is older so 3rd party repair centers should have parts. On a related note, my friend has 2 grey 5D3's (had them for about 2 and 3 years now) and neither has any issues.

BigAl007
Cream of the Crop
8,023 posts
Gallery: 543 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2010

Sep 01, 2016 05:17 |  #9

tdlavigne wrote in post #18113312 (external link)
Canon seems to have better QC with bodies overall (former Canon user, current Nikon, as well as Fuji and Sony in the past too) than anyone else. They're the one brand I wouldn't think twice about buying a grey market body. Worst case scenario (on the off chance there's something wrong with the body) you can try Canon, or go to a 3rd party for repair...on the bright side the 5D3 is older so 3rd party repair centers should have parts. On a related note, my friend has 2 grey 5D3's (had them for about 2 and 3 years now) and neither has any issues.

Lets face it, probably 98% of all the cameras that any of the major manufactures produce have zero issues, before the fault that is beyond economical sense to repair, causing the device to reach end of life. Of course when you are dealing in the tens of millions of devices manufactured every year, even 2% is a significant number. Also with the internet you are far more likely to hear about those 2% than the 98% of perfectly working cameras.

Alan

My Flickr (external link)
My new Aviation images blog site (external link)

filmuser
208 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined Jul 2016
Post edited over 3 years ago by filmuser.

Sep 01, 2016 05:57 |  #10

A gray market camera is a camera made by Canon and sold to a wholesaler who sells to a retailer who does not have an agreement with Canon. Why would Canon care who retails it as they got their money when they sold it to the wholesaler?

Tom ­ Reichner
"I am a little creepy"
15,014 posts
Gallery: 163 photos
Joined Dec 2008

Sep 01, 2016 09:56 |  #11

filmuser wrote in post #18113383 (external link)
A gray market camera is a camera made by Canon and sold to a wholesaler who sells to a retailer who does not have an agreement with Canon. Why would Canon care who retails it as they got their money when they sold it to the wholesaler?

Canon cares because of the impact this can have on the perceived value of their cameras. Canon has very strictly enforced agreements in place with their authorized retailers, with respect to how much the retailers must charge for the cameras. The retailers are simply not allowed to lower the price, or they are in breach of agreement and will lose their authorized status.

This rigid price policing is done by Canon in order to maintain a high perceived value for their cameras. If a retailer were to undercut other retailers by lowering the retail price beyond the minimum threshold set by Canon, then people would get it in their heads that the camera can be had for less than the "regular price", and hence the perceived value of the camera would be diminished in many consumer's minds.

The problem with unauthorized retailers is that they do exactly what Canon works so hard to prevent; they lower their prices in order to undercut the competition.

"Your" and "you're" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"They're", "their", and "there" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"Fare" and "fair" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one. The proper expression is "moot point", NOT "mute point".

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
37,666 posts
Gallery: 111 photos
Joined May 2002
Post edited over 3 years ago by TeamSpeed. (7 edits in all)

Sep 01, 2016 10:21 |  #12

I think there is more here than that. Each part of the world has different laws around warranties, etc. The argument years back was that Canon wouldn't honor gray market because their price points in areas of the world those specific warranty requirements baked in their prices. So somebody getting their hands on a unit that was much lower due to lower warranty coverages would still send that into their own country's warranty center, expecting a free repair, and Canon was trying to prevent that.

Now with the world economy in a different state than it was in the early to mid 2000s, and that the prices are locked in for the most part, and raised in other areas of the world where they used to be less expensive, this black market price paid vs warranty coverage seems to be a moot point, and I can completely understand the confusion now.

Canon can only address MAP, which is what retailers advertise the camera for on their sites. That doesn't mean they can't sell it for less in their stores, or via unadvertised specials, they often do. I don't see how that matters in regard to gray market at all. MAP practices also have NOTHING to do with consumers' perceived value of a product, it has everything to do with profit margins and trying to keep all the authorized dealers playing fairly, and because of antitrust issues. MAP doesn't benefit the consumer at all from what I can tell.

MAP - http://www.americanbar​.org …rtise_price_pol​icies.html (external link)

Past Equipment | My Personal Gallery (external link) My Business Gallery (external link)
For Sale: Sigma USB Dock

filmuser
208 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined Jul 2016

Sep 01, 2016 10:22 |  #13

If the gray market was killed the buyer may buy another less expensive brand causing manufacturer to lose sales.

Tom ­ Reichner
"I am a little creepy"
15,014 posts
Gallery: 163 photos
Joined Dec 2008
Post edited over 3 years ago by Tom Reichner.

Sep 01, 2016 10:29 |  #14

TeamSpeed wrote in post #18113573 (external link)
MAP doesn't benefit the consumer at all from what I can tell.

Of course it doesn't! . It's, like, a terrible thing for consumers. . It's one of the things that keeps us from ever getting a REAL bargain on a current, new Canon camera from an authorized dealer.

"Your" and "you're" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"They're", "their", and "there" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"Fare" and "fair" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one. The proper expression is "moot point", NOT "mute point".

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
37,666 posts
Gallery: 111 photos
Joined May 2002

Sep 01, 2016 10:43 |  #15

You can still get bargains, they just have to be more "sneaky" about the deal. ;)

Past Equipment | My Personal Gallery (external link) My Business Gallery (external link)
For Sale: Sigma USB Dock

sponsored links

3,923 views & 6 likes for this thread
5D3 buying question here......
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.