Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 26 Aug 2016 (Friday) 03:59
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Canon 5d mark IV, Hit or Miss?

alfmoh
29 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined May 2016

Aug 26, 2016 03:59 |  #1

Is the Canon 5d mark IV a hit or miss by Canon? In my opinion, for wedding photographers and those who are not into very serious videography, I think it's a great hit. For serious video work, hmm..... maybe not so much of a hit neither it is a miss. What are your thoughts?

sponsored links
Thonex
229 posts
Gallery: 6 photos
Joined Jun 2011

Aug 26, 2016 04:14 |  #2

It all depends on how well the sensor does in low light. I like that it's not a gazzilion MP. 30.4MP seems like a good sensor/MP ration for less noise.

I'm curious about their Digic 6+ Processor. Digital lens correction too if I'm not mistaken, might be nice of vignetting... but I tend to fix that in Lightroom anyway.

Really, for me it's about speed of focus, focus in low light, tracking and good focus outside of the center sweet-spot.

I hope it's great.

I wish it was about 20% less expensive.

Cheers,

Andrew K

6D, 7D, EF 70-200mm f/2.8 L II IS USM, EF 100mm L Macro, 24-105mm f/4 L IS USM, EFS 15-85 IS f/3.5-5.6, 50mm f/1.4
Some of my Pics (external link)

alfmoh
THREAD ­ STARTER
29 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined May 2016

Aug 26, 2016 04:39 as a reply to  @ Thonex's post |  #3

Same feelings here. I guess we will have to wait for the test shots and numerous reviews to confirm our curiosity.

jthomps123
476 posts
Joined May 2008

Aug 26, 2016 07:30 as a reply to  @ alfmoh's post |  #4

No full frame 4k?!? Miss... major miss. Its funny I switched to Canon in the early days for DSLR video - the irony of how bad they've become at it. The mk4 will not even make me think twice about my conversion to Sony.

1Ds Mk 2 / 5D Mk 3 | 17-40L | 24-105L | 35L | 50/1.4 | 85/1.8 | 100L | 70-200L Mk 2 | 580 EXII x 2
GH2 | 14-140 | 20/1.7
Elinchrom Quadra A's

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
37,119 posts
Gallery: 111 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined May 2002
Post edited over 3 years ago by TeamSpeed.

Aug 26, 2016 08:00 |  #5

Can't you just shoot wider then? 4096 pixels is much smaller than the overall sensor size, so either the frame has to be resized, or there has to be a crop. Much ado about nothing IMO.

Past Equipment | My Personal Gallery (external link) My Business Gallery (external link)
For Sale: 2x Teleconverter
For Sale: Sigma USB Dock

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
37,119 posts
Gallery: 111 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined May 2002

Aug 26, 2016 08:05 |  #6

alfmoh wrote in post #18106755 (external link)
Is the Canon 5d mark IV a hit or miss by Canon? In my opinion, for wedding photographers and those who are not into very serious videography, I think it's a great hit. For serious video work, hmm..... maybe not so much of a hit neither it is a miss. What are your thoughts?

It is a very big hit.

You get the new sensor design from the 80D that provides 3+ stops of pulling shadows while still keeping detail, you get the high ISO capabilities (and more) from the 5D3, you get a new noise reduction algorithm for those JPG shooters, 4K video (if cropped, just shoot wider), 61 AF points, 7fps, more resolution than what is needed to cut out a 1D4 APS-H crop (which now further depreciates the 1D4), wifi, GPS, touchscreen, and a host of other features.

This isn't an evolutionary step up from the 5D3, however, I don't think it is just a bunch of bells and whistles either. This is a pretty significant upgrade to the 5D3 at the same prices as the 5D3 when it was first introduced.

Past Equipment | My Personal Gallery (external link) My Business Gallery (external link)
For Sale: 2x Teleconverter
For Sale: Sigma USB Dock

Wilt
Reader's Digest Condensed version of War and Peace [POTN Vol 1]
41,844 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2005
Post edited over 3 years ago by Wilt.

Aug 26, 2016 08:54 |  #7

My questions are these...

1. How much do you have to spend adding grips/supports, external microphones, external (useable sized) monitor, a zoom lens that you cannot HEAR zooming and focusing in the audio, etc. to turn it from an awkward plaything to a 'real video' (i.e. convenient video shooting)?
  2. Why are folks willing to do this Frankenstein, yet they ridicule the clip on lens on the smartphone to provide optical zoom in lieu of digital zoom (P&S capability)
  3. Why do the video guys using these rigs, when they never use their dSLR at weddings...when other shooters are doing the stills in the wedding coverage?

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost! Keep POTN alive and well with member support https://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention

jbrackjr
481 posts
Joined Dec 2011

Aug 26, 2016 09:44 |  #8

Really sounds like a very good upgrade. But if you want a video camera get one, just not this one.

It's a shame they didn't put the 5DSR sensor in this Mk4. But of course that would over shadow the 1DXII.

Jim
Gear List

filmuser
204 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined Jul 2016

Aug 26, 2016 09:57 |  #9

The 5DS is 100 bucks cheaper here in Canada. oh my, which model to pick.

Thonex
229 posts
Gallery: 6 photos
Joined Jun 2011

Aug 26, 2016 13:15 |  #10

jbrackjr wrote in post #18106989 (external link)
Really sounds like a very good upgrade. But if you want a video camera get one, just not this one.

It's a shame they didn't put the 5DSR sensor in this Mk4. But of course that would over shadow the 1DXII.

I disagree about using the 5DSR sensor. That sensor has a much higher pixel count, and while it does give you higher resolution and crop-factor, the 5Dmk4 will have much better low light abilities and dynamic range. Unless you really bow things up in normal lighting conditions, I bet the 5Dmk4 images will look better.

Again... my opinion... so take that with a massive grain of salt :D

Cheers,

Andrew K

6D, 7D, EF 70-200mm f/2.8 L II IS USM, EF 100mm L Macro, 24-105mm f/4 L IS USM, EFS 15-85 IS f/3.5-5.6, 50mm f/1.4
Some of my Pics (external link)

Wilt
Reader's Digest Condensed version of War and Peace [POTN Vol 1]
41,844 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2005
Post edited over 3 years ago by Wilt.

Aug 26, 2016 14:44 |  #11

Thonex wrote in post #18107191 (external link)
I disagree about using the 5DSR sensor. That sensor has a much higher pixel count, and while it does give you higher resolution and crop-factor, the 5Dmk4 will have much better low light abilities and dynamic range. Unless you really bow things up in normal lighting conditions, I bet the 5Dmk4 images will look better.

Again... my opinion... so take that with a massive grain of salt

...and a dash of low light.

1. Those shooting in the studio illuminated by studio flash do not need ultrahigh ISO, so the greater resolution from higher pixel count benefits the capture of more detail.
  2. Those shooting 'candids' in a dim night club might find the better low ligh noise resistance to advantage more than the need to capture added details

...both from the same lens.

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost! Keep POTN alive and well with member support https://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention

Van ­ Gogh
Goldmember
1,317 posts
Gallery: 118 photos
Best ofs: 5
Joined Jun 2013

Aug 26, 2016 15:18 |  #12

Yes it looks impressive and that dual pixel RAW does definitely look like a very innovative feature that could be a game changer!

My problem with this camera is the ridiculous price though!
It's waaay too expensive, at almost $5K CAD its getting close to 1DX mkii territory.

For me personally, as I already have a 5d Mk3 I was looking for this camera more for its video capabilities, and yes, while it does do 4K for that price I could get the C100 mk ii.
C100 mk ii doesn't do 4K but I have a feeling it probably might be the better choice for video, not sure...
Decisions decisions lol.

Wouldn't mind owning the 5D mk4 though, just too expensive for what they offer...
For video, if paying that kind of money for a DSLR I might just add another $3K and go for 1DX mkii and have 60fps for 4K instead of 30fps for 5D mk4...
Or, just go for the Cinema Line lol.

P.S. Brian, do you have any idea when Canon might refresh their Cinema Line?
I am hoping for a more affordable 4K camera that's Canon. I am assuming the C100 Mkiii would have it when it is released, but not sure how long I will have to wait...

Camera - 2x5Dmk3, C100 mkii, 70D, 60D
Lenses - 24-70mm f2.8L II, 70-200mm f2.8L IS ii, 85mm f1.2L II, 35mm f1.4 ART, 100mm f/2.8L Macro IS
Lighting - 3 x 600EX RT's, Printer - Epson 3880

rantercsr
Goldmember
3,218 posts
Gallery: 57 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Mar 2014

Aug 26, 2016 15:47 |  #13

I think its goijg to be a hit...
While im disappointed in video, i was hoping canon would make a come back.. sincr the 5d2 did start thr whole video with dslr thing...
It is what it is.. and its obvious canon doesnt really want to relive any glory days of past and will keep its best video features on its higher up cinema cameras

But yeah its definitely a hit for the overwhelming majority... luckily for video there are other options.. i was just holding out for the 5d4 as i was reallu hoping to stay with canon with all cameras and not have different setups

I got a couple of Cameras and lenses ...Canon, Sony, Fuji, Pansonic, pentax
My portraits IG (external link)My everything else IG (external link)
MY flickr (external link)
My latest YT video -->https://youtu.be/YzJ1o​eiHm7Y (external link)

Choderboy
I Chimp, therefore I am
6,013 posts
Gallery: 122 photos
Joined Jul 2005
Post edited over 3 years ago by Choderboy.

Aug 26, 2016 20:08 |  #14

Wilt wrote in post #18106916 (external link)
My questions are these...

1. How much do you have to spend adding grips/supports, external microphones, external (useable sized) monitor, a zoom lens that you cannot HEAR zooming and focusing in the audio, etc. to turn it from an awkward plaything to a 'real video' (i.e. convenient video shooting)?
  2. Why are folks willing to do this Frankenstein, yet they ridicule the clip on lens on the smartphone to provide optical zoom in lieu of digital zoom (P&S capability)
  3. Why do the video guys using these rigs, when they never use their dSLR at weddings...when other shooters are doing the stills in the wedding coverage?

In the past couple of months I have been doing some video with my 7D2. Two main subjects, a pair of Osprey nesting and a Powerful owl chick and it's parents. In both cases it's a very simple setup, tripod mounted, aimed at subjects, focus set to manual (once I have focused). I also did some video of a bird (Currawong) perched in a tree, it was one of many Currawongs close by but the only one not making any noise. I found out the reason for it being quiet, it was in the slow process of bringing up a pellet, which I did get in the video. I also captured one of the owls bringing up a pellet and also the male preening the female, the chick's reacting to various sounds etc.

I have found this to be both convenient and "real". Convenience I'd say is extreme. I'm primarily set up to take stills but push one lever then one button and I'm recording video.

I have an external mic which has a hot shoe fitting but have yet to try it on one of two brackets I already own. I have also yet to try taking my big Manfrotto tripod with fluid head and attempting some action video.

As I mentioned, simple scenarios compared to your dedicated wedding video rig example. I do feel like a bit of a dummy for not starting to utilise the video capability earlier though.

Dave
Image editing OK

Dlee13
Goldmember
4,235 posts
Gallery: 616 photos
Joined Apr 2012

Aug 27, 2016 03:21 |  #15

Personally, I believe that none can say that for sure until the camera is in peoples hand and in use. Also whether it is a hit or miss will depend on the person and their use.

Sony Alpha A7III - Sony FE 35mm f/1.8 - Sony FE 90mm f/2.8 Macro
Sony FE 85mm f/1.8 - Canon EF 16-35mm f4L IS -
Canon EOS M5 - Canon EF-M 32mm f/1.4 - Canon EF-M 22mm f/2 - Canon EF 11-22mm f/4-5.6 STM

Blog (external link) | Flickr (external link) | 500px (external link)

sponsored links

3,392 views & 4 likes for this thread
Canon 5d mark IV, Hit or Miss?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.