Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
Thread started 26 Aug 2016 (Friday) 09:24
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Almost got kicked out of the Museum !

this thread is locked
farmer1957
901 posts
Gallery: 6 photos
Joined Jul 2012
Post edited over 2 years ago by farmer1957.

Aug 26, 2016 09:24 |  #1

This happened about 3 years a go, I stopped in this museum because they had the giant red man's skull and I wanted to photograph it .
There are some people who don't believe Giants use to roam the face of earth and I wanted to send some of these pictures to a couple of friends ............
Which most likely wouldn't prove anything ....anyway .

It was about lunch time and I thought I would go in in advanced and ask permission and maybe set up a time that it would be best to bring in my camera and lighting to photograph this skull.

As I was walking to the front door there was also a lady walking in with me and she looked like she worked there .
I held the door open for her and said hi and introduced myself and asked if she worked there .

She said yes , so I asked if it was possible to photograph the famous giant red man's skull found in Love lock Nevada in 1911 or 1912 .
http://www.sydhav.no/g​iants/lovelock.htm (external link)

Last time I was in this museum they had the skull locked up in a locker and I had to ask to see it.
That was over twenty years ago..

The lady who didn't know I had already seen skull said just like she had been trained to say this
We don't have the skull and the skull has never been in this museum .

Wow , why would she say that when that wasn't true ?
At that point I asked who was the Curator and she said the ladies name and where she was in the building .
Which she wasn't and I got sent on a wild goose chase ...

Finally After going back down stairs and finding the employee talking with her boss in secret , the curators attention was on me .

As I walked into her office and was standing next to a locker that looked exactly like the one the skull was locked up in twenty some years earlier I introduced myself and said I was seeking permission to photograph the Giant Red man skull.

Right away it was the same exact line the employee had said to me , we don't have the skull and the skull had never been in this building !

Not really be accustom to have two people to just lie directly to my face , My response was ,
Lady I don't know why you are lying to me , but I was in this museum twenty some years ago and seen the giant red mans skull in person , and said it was in a locker just like the one I was standing next to, and then I leaned against the locker.

Holly cow, I thought this lady was going to crap her pants on the spot when I leaned up against the locker.
I cant help to think I was inches away from the skull.
And I repeated myself,may I please be able to photograph the skull.

It seemed there was a few moments that the curator was thinking .

Then she asked who I was and if I was from any certain group .
Dumb founded I said no.

She said she had the Giant red mans skull and it will never be seen or photographed in that museum .
She gave me the phone number to the state board of museums which they wouldn't ever returnmy calls .
And to the person of indian affairs in charge of the skull , which he ( Victor )didn't know he was in charge of and after him saying he had no issue with me photographing the skull and said he would call me back he never did .

The curator also informed me that the state ran county museum was private property and she could ask me to leave .

I left and that when I tried to call the state of Nevada museums and Victor of indian affairs .
I have never returned to that museum .......

Well it seems the remains of 50 giants bones have disappeared without a trace .

sponsored links
Wilt
Reader's Digest Condensed version of War and Peace [POTN Vol 1]
40,341 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2005

Aug 26, 2016 09:43 |  #2

You 'almost'...I DID get kick out of a museum...along with everyone else in the Louvre in Paris!

I went to the Louvre early in the morning 3 decades ago, with my Olympus OM-1 over my shoulder. Went thru pretty much of the museum, then stopped to view and photograph Charlemagne's crown. Shortly thereafter a small bell started ringing constantly. Museum staff started to come thru each room/hall in the Louvre and asked people to exit. They emptied the place.

Walking to an adjacent site in Paris, it suddently dawned on me that I had rested the front of the lens against the glass case holding the crown, in order to eliminate reflections on the glass, then took photos while against the glass...did I trigger some vibration sensing device that was sensitivitive to tampering typical of a thief trying to gain entry to the case?!

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost! Keep POTN alive and well with member support https://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention

joedlh
Cream of the Crop
5,246 posts
Gallery: 32 photos
Joined Dec 2007
Location: Long Island, NY, N. America, Sol III, Orion Spur, Milky Way, Local Group, Virgo Cluster, Laniakea.
Post edited over 2 years ago by joedlh. (2 edits in all)

Aug 26, 2016 10:18 |  #3

Wilt wrote in post #18106987 (external link)
...I had rested the front of the lens against the glass case holding the crown, in order to eliminate reflections on the glass, then took photos while against the glass...did I trigger some vibration sensing device that was sensitivitive to tampering typical of a thief trying to gain entry to the case?!

Admit it! It wasn't a camera. It was a diamond-tipped glass-cutting tool cleverly disguised as a camera. It was only the hyper-vigilant Louvre security guards who prevented Charlemagne's crown from being displayed on your fireplace mantelpiece today.

Regarding the original post, I'm guessing that the museum staff thought they had in their presence another conspiracy theory aficionado and weren't amused. You have to ask yourself why anybody would want to hide an archeological reality.

Joe
Gear: Kodak Instamatic, Polaroid Swinger. Oh you meant gear now. :rolleyes:
http://photo.joedlh.ne​t (external link)
Editing ok

kjonnnn
Goldmember
1,203 posts
Joined Apr 2005

Aug 26, 2016 11:18 |  #4

Sorry, but I would have asked you to leave also. From your story, you sounded overly aggressive and felt entitled to photograph something that didnt belong to you. They probably lied just to attempt to avoid the scene you discribed and created.

You were going to bring your camera and lighting setup to a museum? com'on.

chauncey
Cream of the Crop
9,696 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jun 2007

Aug 26, 2016 11:32 |  #5

Einstein said that the difference between stupidity and genius is that there is a limit to genius.

The things you do for yourself die with you, the things you do for others live forever.
A man's worth should be judged, not when he basks in the sun, but how he faces the storm.

My stuff...http://1x.com/member/c​hauncey43 (external link)

farmer1957
THREAD ­ STARTER
901 posts
Gallery: 6 photos
Joined Jul 2012

Aug 26, 2016 14:00 as a reply to  @ kjonnnn's post |  #6

You might want to do a little research , seems I stepped in to something the museum doesn't want shown .

some info is on this video The RED man sku;; starts about 7 minutes into the video
https://www.youtube.co​m/watch?v=6jx3vVSSfEs (external link)
It seems like I asked to photograph the skull a year or so after this Video was made.

Both ladies took it upon themselves to lie, I don't know the motive , but the first lie took place while opening the door for the employee and asking to photograph the skull.

I already knew they kept the skull in a locker, that's why I asked to see it because as far as I know it had never been on display , when the lady said it had never been in the building .before she got thru the door of the museum ?

I don't care for people lying to me and if they do I guess some people are going to call on it .
Taking photos in a museum is normal , And trying to do professional pictures of the skull was a request.

Personally I don't think there was any reason for either lady to lie me

These skulls is part of American history,

Obey
327 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Dec 2006

Aug 26, 2016 14:19 |  #7

Why did you feel a need to post about something that happened 3 years ago and makes you look bad?

Canon 6D & 80D | 135 f2 L | 24-105 f4 L | 70-200 f4 L | Sigma 35 1.4 ART | Canon 85 1.8
Canon EOS 3 + Mamiya RZ67 film
BradBphoto (external link)| Instagram (external link)

Chet
my rates fluctuate
42,827 posts
Gallery: 125 photos
Joined Sep 2007

Aug 26, 2016 14:39 |  #8

Great story. Off to Google.

Curator of the Bob's Pickle Emporium experience. -As always, One location to serve you better!
~Feel good today and donate to this great forum~ LINK
My Gear List

DreDaze
happy with myself for not saying anything stupid
17,836 posts
Gallery: 22 photos
Joined Mar 2006

Aug 26, 2016 14:48 |  #9

they must've been part of the illuminati....

Andre or Dre
gear list
Instagram (external link)
flickr (external link)

frugivore
Goldmember
3,089 posts
Gallery: 11 photos
Joined Aug 2010

Aug 26, 2016 15:51 |  #10

farmer1957 wrote in post #18107244 (external link)
Personally I don't think there was any reason for either lady to lie me

Maybe they damaged it? Maybe someone stole it? Maybe they discovered that it was a fake? I'm sure there's a good reason for the lies.

joedlh
Cream of the Crop
5,246 posts
Gallery: 32 photos
Joined Dec 2007
Location: Long Island, NY, N. America, Sol III, Orion Spur, Milky Way, Local Group, Virgo Cluster, Laniakea.

Aug 26, 2016 19:08 |  #11

DreDaze wrote in post #18107280 (external link)

My money is on the Templars. Or maybe Opus Dei.

Joe
Gear: Kodak Instamatic, Polaroid Swinger. Oh you meant gear now. :rolleyes:
http://photo.joedlh.ne​t (external link)
Editing ok

Naturalist
Adrift on a lonely vast sea
5,163 posts
Gallery: 51 photos
Joined May 2007

Aug 26, 2016 19:27 |  #12

No, no, that's not us! :)

Doug
My Gear List
http://www.douglasbrow​nsr.com (external link)
Entered: 2-16-84 Passed: 5-22-84 Raised: 6-19-84

kjonnnn
Goldmember
1,203 posts
Joined Apr 2005

Aug 26, 2016 20:33 |  #13

While taking photos in a museum is common, bringing your "camera and lighting" probably isn't.

Sorry, but you sound as if it was your right to see the skull (regardless of its origins), just because you know it exist and was granted permission before.

When you were granted permission before, it probably was under different management. Why lie to you? Because if they said they had it, but it wasn't for viewing, judging by the personality in your post, you would have began a tirade of "why cant I" questions. I'm sure they'd want to avoid that whether from you or anyone else. What they want you to see is displayed, what is not, is not.

If they had said, yes we have it, but we're not allowing you to see it or photograph it ... what would have done?

Alveric
Goldmember
4,463 posts
Gallery: 36 photos
Joined Jan 2011
Post edited over 2 years ago by Alveric.

Aug 26, 2016 22:11 |  #14

Yeah, well, blatant lying is bound to make even a saint mad, though he might choose to keep silent... or not.

Farmer1957, I think that, as mentioned by someone above, the management and the socio-political conditions have probably changed. What struck me as odd and kinda telling was the curator asking if you were 'with a group'. Not making any accusations, but I do strongly suspect that the skull might be a hot or taboo item at this point due to all the history revisionists, racial equality interest groups, and right crackpots of which we seem to have surplus nowadays. The museum doesn't want to get into any legal hot water over 'facilitating' exhibits to an individual or group that might use them for libel or to wage a socio-political campaign, or what have you.

They might have legitimate reasons for denying access to materials that are not in exhibition –probably the same reasons why those exhibits aren't on display in the first place; and yes, someone just coming out of the blue asking access to an important or controversial exhibit, AND taking photographs, would have sound quite iffy to me had I been the curator. A scholar from an institution or even **gasp** the media, I would have seen as better 'candidates' for access. I concede all that. Still, if I had been lied to my face, I woulda called it too: 'Heck, if you don't want to shew or grant access to something just say it outright, but don't lie'.

'The success of the second-rate is deplorable in itself; but it is more deplorable in that it very often obscures the genuine masterpiece. If the crowd runs after the false, it must neglect the true.' —Arthur Machen
Why 'The Histogram' Sux (external link)

Pagman
I just hold the thing :-)
8,034 posts
Gallery: 1556 photos
Joined Dec 2011

Aug 26, 2016 22:13 |  #15

Ummmm.
P.

Some stuff.

sponsored links

15,211 views & 74 likes for this thread
Almost got kicked out of the Museum !
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.