Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 24 Aug 2016 (Wednesday) 21:29
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Canon 5D Mark IV -- Time to Discuss!

rantercsr
Goldmember
3,202 posts
Gallery: 56 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Mar 2014

Aug 26, 2016 21:30 as a reply to  @ post 18107560 |  #316

how does this affect 4k video :p

i was hoping it would have IS .. but yeah have high hopes for this lens

I got a couple of Cameras and lenses ...Canon, Sony, Fuji, Pansonic, pentax
My portraits IG (external link)My everything else IG (external link)
MY flickr (external link)
My latest YT video -->https://youtu.be/YzJ1o​eiHm7Y (external link)

sponsored links
FEChariot
Goldmember
4,423 posts
Gallery: 13 photos
Joined Sep 2011

Aug 26, 2016 21:42 |  #317

rantercsr wrote in post #18107593 (external link)
how does this affect 4k video :p

i was hoping it would have IS .. but yeah have high hopes for this lens

Well the 5D4 would turn the new 16-35 into a standard zoom. So if you are a wedding photographer using the 5D4 with a 24-70/2.8 II and you want to take a quick video clip, you have to change to the new 16-35/2.8 III to get the same FOV.

Canon 7D/350D, Σ17-50/2.8 OS, 18-55IS, 24-105/4 L IS, Σ30/1.4 EX, 50/1.8, C50/1.4, 55-250IS, 60/2.8, 70-200/4 L IS, 85/1.8, 100/2.8 IS L, 135/2 L 580EX II, 430EX II * 2, 270EX II.

cdang
263 posts
Joined Dec 2011

Aug 26, 2016 21:46 |  #318

For those who are buying this camera, is 30MP what you wanted? (Or too much/too little).

MatthewK
Goldmember
4,202 posts
Gallery: 779 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Apr 2009
Post edited over 3 years ago by MatthewK.

Aug 26, 2016 21:52 |  #319

cdang wrote in post #18107603 (external link)
For those who are buying this camera, is 30MP what you wanted? (Or too much/too little).

I actually feel like it's a nice door prize, as I think the other features sort of eclipse the MP increase.

Canon/Nikon/Fuji

mdvaden
Goldmember
3,354 posts
Gallery: 82 photos
Joined Mar 2009
Post edited over 3 years ago by mdvaden. (2 edits in all)

Aug 26, 2016 22:28 |  #320

umphotography wrote in post #18105302 (external link)
My Prediction

Take it for what its worth

My prediction is that however it performs, it's going to prove to be a reliable professonal workhorse that's better than the 5D Mk iii in a way yet to be learned and experienced.

I just faced an upgrade decision before the 5D Mk iv's release and decided that it was going to be better but not enough better to buy it at the release price. I went back and reviewed my 5D Mk ii files and realized how many wonderful shots I got from my 5D Mk ii. So my first decision was to set aside consideration of the Sony AR7ii

People say Sony "blew Canon out of the water" but I realized it's promos are selective and over-hyped. It's overheating is unacceptable as are the puny batteries. And although it's very innovative and fine camera, it's overall menu and design is not what I'd call professional grade yet. The Sony just isn't good enough as an overall platform to undermine Canon's 5D Mk iv and it's lens the accessory options.

So I sold two 5D Mk ii and sold one 60D ... and bought one Canon 5DS and one 5D mk iii ... both wonderful bodies.

In one year, I plan to buy one Canon 5D Mk iv because it will be a great camera and Canon's overall platform and related 3rd party accessories are excellent. I will buy the 5D Mk iv refurbished.

vadenphotography.com (external link) . . . and . . . Coast Redwoods Main Page (external link)

mclaren777
Goldmember
1,482 posts
Joined May 2012

Aug 26, 2016 22:41 |  #321

cdang wrote in post #18107603 (external link)

Yeah, I think it's great. I deliver 4800x3200 images to clients so this gives me tons of latitude if I want to crop heavily.

With my current 5D3, I definitely had to be more careful.

A simple comparison of sensor technology: Nikon vs. Canon (external link)
A technical comparison of sensor technology: Exposure Latitude (external link)

mike_d
Cream of the Crop
5,341 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Aug 2009

Aug 26, 2016 22:47 |  #322

jbrackjr wrote in post #18107549 (external link)
I’ve watched the Tony Northrup video on the MK4 and he is not a big fan of the upgrades because they do not meet his needs. For him, he says the Mk4 is a “jack of all trades and master of none”. Which I believe to be true.

I'm OK with that. You could probably say the same thing about the 5D3, which I own. I cannot afford to collect cameras like an all-star team, so one camera that can do everything well, but not class-leading, is not a bad thing in my opinion.

I look at the upgrades over the Mk3 and they are very enticing. Maybe not enough to rush out and pay $3500, but enough to save up and wait for some deals to appear.

sipowicz
198 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jan 2013

Aug 26, 2016 23:04 |  #323

jbrackjr wrote in post #18107549 (external link)
I’ve watched the Tony Northrup video on the MK4 and he is not a big fan of the upgrades because they do not meet his needs. For him, he says the Mk4 is a “jack of all trades and master of none”. Which I believe to be true. He also outlines what he does and does not like about the Mk4. I found it to be entertaining and just one man’s personal opinion.

I would take everything he says with a grain of salt. I watched some of his videos and the real life shoots revealed that they are not very experienced professionals. The one where they do headshots at the car dealership was a total train wreck in my opinion.

Savethemoment
488 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Jun 2012

Aug 26, 2016 23:19 |  #324

Talley wrote in post #18107466 (external link)
spot linked would be amazing and I doubt they would lose much 1D sales over it... look how many of us WANT it that do NOT buy the 1D.

I want it so much that I think I'll go with the 1Dxii over the 5Div. I'd love 30mp and don't need 14fps at all. I also have many other ways to make use of the extra $3.6k AUD I'll need to spend. But oh my goodness, I really really want spot exposure metering linked to the selected AF point!!

Always learning
Always looking for the good light

power ­ shot
57 posts
Joined Dec 2012

Aug 26, 2016 23:52 |  #325

Here is a great review of the new Canon

http://www.eoshd.com …-iv-officially-announced/ (external link)

gjl711
According to the lazy TF, My flatulence rates
55,305 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Aug 27, 2016 00:14 |  #326

power shot wrote in post #18107699 (external link)

Hmm.. guy makes some valid points.

Not sure why, but call me JJ.
I used to hate math but then I realised decimals have a point.
::Flickr:: (external link)
::Gear::

sploo
premature adulation
2,411 posts
Joined Nov 2011

Aug 27, 2016 03:08 |  #327

Talley wrote in post #18107492 (external link)
well I had NO idea that rubber piece on the strap was the eyepiece cover... dang manuals hiding stuff all the time.

Yep, for long exposures. I've done plenty over the years but must admit I've never used it. I used to cover the viewfinder on old film SLRs but never seemed to have a problem without these days.

Camera, some lenses, too little time, too little talent

sploo
premature adulation
2,411 posts
Joined Nov 2011

Aug 27, 2016 03:14 |  #328

FEChariot wrote in post #18107560 (external link)
Interesting yet off topic, but there is still no thread on the 16-35 III in the lens area. No love?

Almost feels to me like the hype for that lens has been lost in press about the camera.

TBH the 16-35 f/4 IS is so darn good that I can only really see the new lens being critical for astro guys that need f/2.8. If I'm shooting architecture or interiors I want to stop down a bit (DOF and more sharpness), and I'd trade a smaller aperture and lower ISO against the IS, vs f/2.8 and no IS.

Dlee13
Goldmember
4,187 posts
Gallery: 613 photos
Joined Apr 2012

Aug 27, 2016 03:19 |  #329

I would love to know how many people are Google searching "Canon 5D4 dynamic range" every single minute  :p

Sony Alpha A7III - Sony FE 35mm f/1.8 - Sony FE 90mm f/2.8 Macro
Sony FE 85mm f/1.8 - Canon EF 16-35mm f4L IS -
Canon EOS M5 - Canon EF-M 32mm f/1.4 - Canon EF-M 22mm f/2 - Canon EF 11-22mm f/4-5.6 STM

Blog (external link) | Flickr (external link) | 500px (external link)

sploo
premature adulation
2,411 posts
Joined Nov 2011

Aug 27, 2016 03:35 |  #330

power shot wrote in post #18107699 (external link)

Meh, there's a lot of butthurt there eh.

Sure, I get that the 4K crop vastly limits it's usefulness and I can understand the anger on that. But, I don't buy a DSLR primarily for video; that's just the gravy. To indicate that the only step forward for stills is the Dual Pixel feature is a bit silly, as is slamming 30MP (it smacks of someone that only understands their own narrow use case).

The 5D line has certainly become a jack of all trades, but that's why I buy it. It may not have 50 MP, but I'm not a dedicated landscaper. It may not have 14fps, but I'm not a dedicated sports pro. It may not have full frame 4K and ProRes, but I'm not a full time video shooter. I do a bit of everything, and can't justify the cost of multiple bodies - and the 5D fits the bill.

When the 5D3 was launched I held off for ages, thinking about defecting to a D800. In the end, the 5D3, albeit with limitations, turned out to be a superb all-rounder. I suspect the 5D4 will be the same, whilst tackling some of the issues that bugged me on its predecessor.

I'm reminded of Roger Cicala's excellent (tongue in cheek) graph, showing that at launch every new camera body is either the greatest thing in the history of the universe or a complete POS; then after time leveling out to be considered as a genuinely useful tool.

sponsored links

814,607 views & 2,668 likes for this thread
Canon 5D Mark IV -- Time to Discuss!
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.