Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
Thread started 26 Aug 2016 (Friday) 09:24
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Almost got kicked out of the Museum !

this thread is locked
Pagman
I just hold the thing :-)
9,974 posts
Gallery: 2444 photos
Joined Dec 2011

Aug 26, 2016 22:14 |  #16

Naturalist wrote in post #18107503 (external link)
No, no, that's not us! :)

????

P.

Finally got it right I think - Nikon D7500, Nikon 300 F4 PF, Nikon 1.4 X mk3 TC

sponsored links
farmer1957
THREAD ­ STARTER
901 posts
Gallery: 6 photos
Joined Jul 2012

Aug 26, 2016 23:02 as a reply to  @ post 18107257 |  #17

I was wondering if anyone else has had Similar experience involve in archaeology that doesn't really fit into what I what traditional theory's of Mans history or how this and was thousands of years ago .
What some bat Guano hunters found in cave north of love lock NV in 1911 or 1912 .
From the news paper reports everyone in Love lock seen the giant bones which back up what was written in Sara Winnemucca book.
https://en.wikipedia.o​rg/wiki/Sarah_Winnemuc​ca (external link)
I just wanted to photograph this way cool history ...
That is it.
I try to base any kind of encounters with people on honesty first , and I try not to over step my questions with personal questions that are none of my business which seems to be the case with the Giant red man skulls.
I hadn't made it through the door before I was told the skull had never been in the building .
As said I just wanted to see the skull like I did twenty some years ago and ask if I could photograph it and ask if I could bring in some lighting on one of there slow days .
That was my intent , I want to have fun with my Photography .

And it seems some photography is being suppressed in generally public , which I thought the museum I was in was .

It really doesn't make any difference If I am right or wrong, I don't plan on visiting any museums in the for see able future .
I was totally unprepared for that issue. I didn't know it was a issue .
And I really didn't understand why I was being told something that wasn't the truth .
At this point I am afraid if this is what I should expect from other museums around the country to have claimed to have some of these artifacts..

In my kicking around Nevada I have recovered some cool relics, Dug up a old 1887 hit and miss engine .
that is being restore for public viewing at N/C
Its almost complete ... after a thousand dollars worth of man hours of machining and labor.

Every time I drive by any museum it reminds me of this, and I was wondering if anyone else had gone through similar experiences .

farmer1957
THREAD ­ STARTER
901 posts
Joined Jul 2012

Aug 26, 2016 23:15 as a reply to  @ post 18107337 |  #18

When I seen the skull twenty years ago I hadn't seen a real human decomposed skull before .
That I can remember .
I was in the service and have seen dead people,.

My point is the skull didn't look extra big to me but I am not the expert , but there are other people who have claimed to have seen them and it was recorded they were noticeably bigger then the normal human skull .

I don't know how big a skull is of some one who is 7 to 9 ft tall.

I don't know for a fact what I stepped into . but it bothers me everytime I drive by .

I even did some mining about 20 miles away from where these skulls were found .

Personally I don't think the skull I saw is the true red man skull that was dug up in 1911 ..

But driving by the place a couple of days ago reminded me of the experience ..
And my thought was its all over me wanting to take a picture .

Alveric
Goldmember
4,598 posts
Gallery: 38 photos
Joined Jan 2011
Post edited over 4 years ago by Alveric. (3 edits in all)

Aug 26, 2016 23:22 as a reply to  @ farmer1957's post |  #19
bannedPermanent ban

For many decades now there's been strong, though mostly covert, efforts to sweep away anything that might discredit Darwinism or even cast a shadow on it. This happens all across the board, from academia to common life. When I was a geology student I remember reading an article on a journal or some scientific publication about some Russian scientists finding evidence about the Earth not being as old as we're led to believe (and as the Darwinists or Neo-Darwinists need it to be in order to substantiate their pipe dreams). These Russian scientists and their findings were never heard from again (no, I'm not saying or even suggesting they were killed, simply that they were laughed at and never got publicity nor more funding, probably), and the piece on that publication wasn't a cover feature, by the way, but a scant article buried in the magazine.

I had never heard of this skull, and I thank you for the link you provided. It does pique my interest, being somehow consistent with a source on human history I cannot cite here (another thing they've been trying to suppress everywhere). I can see why the museum would try to deny its existence, as anything that not only questions but supports Darwinism's old nemesis is bound to be done away with. Instead, people prefer to continue looking for the missing link –just look at how any new old monkey that's unearthed gets prime time and extensive articles on National Geographic.

'The success of the second-rate is deplorable in itself; but it is more deplorable in that it very often obscures the genuine masterpiece. If the crowd runs after the false, it must neglect the true.' —Arthur Machen
Why 'The Histogram' Sux (external link)

DreDaze
happy with myself for not saying anything stupid
18,382 posts
Gallery: 49 photos
Joined Mar 2006

Aug 26, 2016 23:45 |  #20

earth is flat too...look at photos of the horizon...it only curves if you use a fisheye...

Andre or Dre
gear list
Instagram (external link)
flickr (external link)

farmer1957
THREAD ­ STARTER
901 posts
Joined Jul 2012

Aug 26, 2016 23:48 as a reply to  @ post 18107553 |  #21

I would of walked away, what choice would I have ?

I just wanted to see what I had seen before and photograph it I really didn't know there was a new curator .

To be honest I am friends with the husband of the old curator who passed away.
I photograph stuff that is getting donated to that museum ..

I was being very humble right up to the point it was suggested that the skull had never been there when I have seen it in person .

I wasn't on LSD ...... I don't see doctors because I see things that are not there , even though I do talk to myself from time to time .

I am sorry if I came off pushy, There really no sugar coating when someone tells you something that you know for a fact is a lie.

Now that I know the employees of certain museums lie about certain artifacts that the museum at one time advertised they had its not really a problem to be prepared for this to happen and walk away .

But for me I don't think I willing to do this again .

The out come just wasn't very harmonious IMO .

Once again I wasn't trying to be pushy .and sorry if I have given that impression .
Sorry that, had to happened at a museum .
Sorry I had to go on a wild goose chase just to find out the person I was looking for was just feet away to begin with and most likely heard the conversation from the beginning when I opened the door for the female employee .

I normally don't call people a liar with the forth word out of my month upon meeting someone for the first time after a polite introduction of myself and explaining the reason I am there .
Least I don't ever remember doing this before in my life .

farmer1957
THREAD ­ STARTER
901 posts
Joined Jul 2012
Post edited over 4 years ago by farmer1957. (4 edits in all)

Aug 27, 2016 00:11 as a reply to  @ post 18107620 |  #22

Farmer1957, I think that, as mentioned by someone above, the management and the socio-political conditions have probably changed. What struck me as odd and kinda telling was the curator asking if you were 'with a group'. Not making any accusations, but I do strongly suspect that the skull might be a hot or taboo item at this point due to all the history revisionists, racial equality interest groups, and right crackpots of which we seem to have surplus nowadays. The museum doesn't want to get into any legal hot water over 'facilitating' exhibits to an individual or group that might use them for libel or to wage a socio-political campaign, or what have you.

Exactly I don't know this at the time , Some tv show had came in a few years before me and did a big story and accused the museum of covering up something to do with the skull .

I didn't know this when I walked in and asked to see the skull and photograph the skull.
The curator in away suggested that the book that Sara Winnemucca wrote wasn't true and what the bat Guano hunters and the whole town of love lock didn't know the difference between a skull from a normal size person to a giant persons skull .

I don't know how to answer that question because I don't know for sure if I actually have ever seen the skull of a giant because I don't know how honest the museum was then I did see the skull twenty some years ago .

And even today its not important enough to have to deal with people in my opinion are not honest about certain artifacts .

But all of this was unknown when I opened the door for the female employee .

I got lied to from the first words coming out of both ladies mouths ....
I don't care to be offensive , but there is the old saying , don't pee down my back and tell me its raining .
Being a extremely direct person doesn't help my case .

Personally I am sorry this happened , I don't ever want it to happen again .
I also feel I stepped into something they have had some kind of issues with that was completely unknown to me .

PKIDelirium
35 posts
Joined May 2013

Aug 27, 2016 01:11 |  #23

Well, this is a strange thread...

60D, Kiss Digital N/350D, 18-55 IS, 55-250 IS, 50 1.8 II, Tamron 10-24, 75-300 III
Film: AE-1 with FD 50 1.8 S.C. and FD 135 3.5. EOS Rebel T2/300X with 28-90 III
[URL="http://flickr.co​m/donaldflint"][URL="h​ttp://flickr.com/donal​dflint"]Flickr

chauncey
Cream of the Crop
9,696 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jun 2007

Aug 27, 2016 01:41 |  #24

Einstein said that the difference between stupidity and genius is that there is a limit to genius.

The things you do for yourself die with you, the things you do for others live forever.
A man's worth should be judged, not when he basks in the sun, but how he faces the storm.

My stuff...http://1x.com/member/c​hauncey43 (external link)

Tom ­ Reichner
"That's what I do."
16,053 posts
Gallery: 180 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Dec 2008
Location: from Pennsylvania, now in Washington state, road trip back and forth a lot, with extensive detouring

Aug 27, 2016 16:29 |  #25

farmer1957 wrote in post #18107695 (external link)
Once again I wasn't trying to be pushy .and sorry if I have given that impression .

I think that as soon as it became apparent that they did not want to acknowledge the skull, any further questions or conversation about it is kind of pushy. "Pushy", to me, means that you push a little bit more than someone wants you to push. Truly being "not pushy at all" would mean that as soon as you think they do not want to talk about the skull, then you drop the subject immediately and completely.

"Your" and "you're" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"They're", "their", and "there" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"Fare" and "fair" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one. The proper expression is "moot point", NOT "mute point".

Hogloff
Cream of the Crop
7,606 posts
Joined Apr 2003

Aug 27, 2016 17:11 |  #26
bannedPermanent ban

PKIDelirium wrote in post #18107754 (external link)
Well, this is a strange thread...

And getting stranger with every post.

frugivore
Goldmember
3,089 posts
Gallery: 11 photos
Joined Aug 2010

Aug 27, 2016 17:14 |  #27

I bet if you were wearing a fedora and caring a bullwhip, they would've arranged for you to see the skull.

MalVeauX
"Looks rough and well used"
13,961 posts
Gallery: 2066 photos
Best ofs: 4
Joined Feb 2013

Aug 27, 2016 17:48 |  #28

Hrm,

Just some food for thought, but the early 1900's was full of "fantastic anthropology" where really huge amount of hoaxes were announced and peddled which moved a lot of money around for various groups. The secrecy and denial may largely be because they're fakes and they're deeply embarrassed because they had financial gain in some way from them in the past, or simply from an academic stand point are embarrassed that they were displayed as legitimate only to find out they are not. The golden age of anthropology is gone, and with it, the "sensational finds."

Very best,

My Flickr (external link) :: My Astrobin (external link)

farmer1957
THREAD ­ STARTER
901 posts
Joined Jul 2012

Aug 27, 2016 19:03 as a reply to  @ post 18108445 |  #29

The skull I saw was in a clear plastic case or box and it didn't look extra big to me ......

banquetbear
Goldmember
1,601 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Apr 2010

Aug 27, 2016 19:54 |  #30

farmer1957 wrote in post #18106959 (external link)
Well it seems the remains of 50 giants bones have disappeared without a trace .

...there are no giant bones. They don't exist.

https://skeptoid.com/e​pisodes/4390 (external link)

"If" you were shown anything at all 20 years ago they would have been fake. They certainly weren't giants. But the museum staff weren't lying to you. The museum wouldn't have had a giant red man's skull because there never were any giants.

www.bigmark.co.nzexternal link

sponsored links

21,904 views & 74 likes for this thread
Almost got kicked out of the Museum !
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.