Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Sony Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Sony Cameras 
Thread started 26 Aug 2016 (Friday) 01:30
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Who went from Fuji > Sony?

lapino
502 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Jun 2010

Aug 26, 2016 01:30 |  #1

Fuji users mostly seem very positive about their gear, and I started a thread on the Fuji forum about this just to hear some opinions about people who switched to Fuji and why. Very interesting to read since I'm making up my mind whether to switch myself or (further) invest in Sony. This is not a fanboy thread, nor am I looking for comments on GAS and 'why this or that'

So are there people here who have used Fuji X for a decent period and switched to Sony. If so, why? Your experience and positives/negatives? Very curious to read about this. Thx in advance.

http://www.flickr.com/​photos/23660915@N07/ (external link)
Gear: Fuji X-T2 / 18-55/2.8-4 / 23/1.4 / 56/1.2 / 55-200/ RX100M4

sponsored links
modestglock26
293 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Apr 2014

Aug 27, 2016 06:14 |  #2

I went through several Fuji's and loved them all. The last of which was an XT1, but I wound up using that to get me a nice Sony RX1 with a bunch of extras. The Sony was absolutely stunning in the IQ category. That 35mm f2 paired perfectly with the ff sensor did wonders. The first thing I noticed in my style of shooting was that the Sony was handling highlights much more appealing to me. Clouds were looking how I wanted them to, and nothing was being blown out. Very flexible files. I still love me some Fuji's, the Sony RX1 just really proved to be my preferred setup for the time being.

Sony A7ii and a Ricoh GR II with just about no skill

lapino
THREAD ­ STARTER
502 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Aug 27, 2016 06:36 |  #3

I never had the chance to actually use a Fuji. I read a lot about how good they are with high iso, but when looking at some fullsize samples, I notice a lot of noise even at ISO400 on the Fuji files (Xpro2 + XT1). Not sure what's going on there. If only the A6300 has better APS-C lenses and decent 1080p video :/

lapino
THREAD ­ STARTER
502 posts
Joined Jun 2010
Post edited over 3 years ago by lapino.

Aug 27, 2016 09:52 |  #4

Seems karma is involved, been taking some pictures this afternoon with my A6000 and the buttons on the body are all unresponsive. Shutter works, but camera is useless otherwise. Tried switching batteries too. Never happened before.

edit: seems camera got stuck in half-shutter mode, pressed the shutter firmly and blew a bit of air into it and seems to be working again. dying shutter I suppose.. //

ticker67
34 posts
Joined Aug 2016

Aug 27, 2016 16:20 |  #5

I have had both. The menu system for Fuji is much easier for me to use.

EverydayGetaway
Cream of the Crop
10,591 posts
Gallery: 11 photos
Joined Oct 2012

Aug 29, 2016 13:32 |  #6

I replied in your other thread already, but I'll reply here too (with my flamesuit on)...

The biggest reason in my opinion to switch to Fuji is for the ergonomics/shooting experience. If you really enjoy just going out with your camera and taking pics just for the sake of photography, Fuji's can't be beat (yet) in my opinion. The way they're set up makes you thnk less about the gear and more about what you want from the shot. It's hard to describe and it's probably not for everyone, but the best way to find out if it's your "cup-of-tea" is to just get your hands on one and try it for a while.

I bought my first Fuji (X-E1) while I was shooting with a Canon 6D. I wanted a smaller more portable camera with great IQ. It delivered so well on that front that I sold the 6D and started looking at the a7 cameras because I thought I needed that FF sensor in a similarly portable body. So I eventually got the a7S and loved it at first (and still do really) so much that I sold my X-E1... but before long I realized there was more to my Fuji love than just the size and weight, it was just a more fun system to shoot with. So I ordered an X-E2 to replace my X-E1 and shot it along side my a7S for most of the year... then I realized that 8 times out of 10 I was reaching for the X-E2 and never regretting taking it instead of the a7S, basically the only time I really wanted my a7S was for very low light shooting (which I'll definitely miss it for)... so I finally decided to go all in and bought an X-Pro2 last week and began selling all my Sony gear (my a7S is still for sale btw ;) ).

I would recommend renting or buying a Fuji, X-E1's can be foud for under $200 used, X-E2's which use the same AF system as the X-T1 can be found for under $400 (I might even sell you mine because I was thinking about replacing it with an X-100T). Try one for a little bit and then sell it if you don't like it, you'll take little or no hit, I do this all the time with cameras ;)

Fuji X-Pro2 // Fuji X-H1 // Fuji X-T1 // Fuji X-100T
flickr (external link) // Instagram (external link)www.LucasGPhoto.com (external link)

lapino
THREAD ­ STARTER
502 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Aug 29, 2016 13:38 |  #7

Thanks for all the input. I find myself grabbing my A6000 *way* more than my D750 so that says a lot how I feel about SLRs now. The D750 is amazing in low light and if a Sony FF would have the same AF for low light AND less expensive lenses like the 24-120 Nikon has, I'd stay with Sony. But that's not gonna happen. Plan now is to keep the A6000 (might upgrade to the A6300 for the better EVF and 4K) and then get a XT2 from a shop that allows returns and see how the Fuji can stack up to the Nikon. If that goes well, I'll probably let go of the Nikon. Then I'll have a Sony and a Fuji, both with their strengts and weaknesses. My guess is I'll lose a lot less by selling the Nikon then I would selling the Sony.

v35skyline
Goldmember
3,572 posts
Joined Apr 2007
Post edited over 3 years ago by v35skyline.

Oct 15, 2016 17:55 |  #8

I know this is an old-ish thread. I have owned a lot of Fuji cameras: X100, X100s, X-Pro1, X-T1 (actually, I still own them all except for the X100). What I have come to find is that shooting Fuji cameras is about both the experience and the end product. The ergonomics of Fuji cameras is second to none in my opinion. When I want to shoot a picture and not edit it, I reach for one of my Fuji cameras. Fuji glass is amazing.

However, I just purchased a Sony A7RII. Why? The sensor. Based on every review that I've read so far, the dynamic range of the Sony A7RII is nothing short of amazing. Also, ISO performance is another reason for my Sony adoption. The Fuji handles ISOs very well, but there is a limit in my experience. I have long wanted to switch to Sony, but the lack of native lenses at the time deterred me. The lens lineup may not be as mature as Canon or Fuji, but the currently available lenses will fit my needs.

With all of that said, the Sony is not replacing any of my Fuji cameras. In fact, I still have my Canon 5D3. Some people would call me crazy - no, a lot of people would call me crazy. But no camera platform does everything I wanted to. At least not yet. After some time with the Sony, I may sell the Canon. I guess we will just have to see.

X100s | X-Pro1 | X-T1 | XF 14 | XF 18 | XF 35 | XF 56 | XF 60 | XF 10-24
Gear List & Feedback

lapino
THREAD ­ STARTER
502 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Oct 17, 2016 07:21 |  #9

Thanks for the input. My XT2 is still on order, and from the limited time I had with a rental, it is indeed a joy to use. Something 'special' about that. But I also have somewhat of a resistance to selling my Sony A6300 + lenses or my Nikon D750. Each camera seems to have its own strength and weakness. I'm going to try using them side by side. The Nikon gets used very little except indoors/low light or when I don't mind the weight (although with a 50/1.8 this is not that heavy).

sponsored links

2,611 views & 0 likes for this thread
Who went from Fuji > Sony?
FORUMS Sony Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Sony Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.