Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 24 Aug 2016 (Wednesday) 21:29
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Canon 5D Mark IV -- Time to Discuss!

jbrackjr
481 posts
Joined Dec 2011

Aug 27, 2016 20:33 |  #406

digital paradise wrote in post #18108336 (external link)
I found this. Looks like now you can press and release an assigned button and it will stay in that AF operation. Long overdue if so.

QUOTED IMAGE

That is exactly how the 80D works.;-)a

Jim
Gear List

sponsored links
jbrackjr
481 posts
Joined Dec 2011

Aug 27, 2016 20:49 |  #407

I'm not clear on why Canon's 4k file size is 4 to 5 times the size of Nikon & Sony? And if I read the reviews correctly, the extra large files provide nothing in return except to be a PIA in processing and taking up enormous capacity on your cf cards.

Maybe I missed it in this thread.

Jim
Gear List

Talley
Talley Whacker
11,086 posts
Gallery: 46 photos
Joined Dec 2011

Aug 27, 2016 21:18 |  #408

jbrackjr wrote in post #18108590 (external link)
I'm not clear on why Canon's 4k file size is 4 to 5 times the size of Nikon & Sony? And if I read the reviews correctly, the extra large files provide nothing in return except to be a PIA in processing and taking up enormous capacity on your cf cards.

Maybe I missed it in this thread.

codec

A7rIII | A7III | 12-24 F4 | 16-35 GM | 28-75 2.8 | 100-400 GM | 12mm 2.8 Fisheye | 35mm 2.8 | 85mm 1.8 | 35A | 85A | 200mm L F2 IS | MC-11
My Gear Archive

rantercsr
Goldmember
3,201 posts
Gallery: 56 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Mar 2014

Aug 27, 2016 21:29 |  #409

because they use an old system where files have to be so large to retain quality.

mjpeg..

as much as i wanted to go with canon for video , i cant ..
canon builds awesome , robust tanks for cameras... and that lens line up!!
however its become clear that they arent trying to really do anything on the video side for the dlsr's ..a little something just to say they did something but they are keeping it seperate for the most part .. if you want some "jr" videographer qualities .. well you cant have any ,, you just have to get a c100ii or c300
personally i was hoping Canon was going to make a decent attempt at taking back thier throne as leader of dlsr video ..adding dual pixel , touch screen was an awesome start but then.. none of the other things like , peaking , zebras , CLog , histograms etc... oh well

luckily there are other options for budget video makers , (which have there own drawbacks, there is some brown in that grass as well i admit ) for video without going into full blown $$Cinema $ cameras

for myself ive decided the 5d4 is most likely not for me .. i'll just hang on to the 5d3 for now , and see who else can full fill my video/photogrphy needs

I got a couple of Cameras and lenses ...Canon, Sony, Fuji, Pansonic, pentax
My portraits IG (external link)My everything else IG (external link)
MY flickr (external link)
My latest YT video -->https://youtu.be/YzJ1o​eiHm7Y (external link)

graham121
Goldmember
1,403 posts
Gallery: 113 photos
Joined Feb 2013

Aug 27, 2016 21:33 |  #410

Perfectly Frank wrote in post #18108209 (external link)
Since my last post I've been doing some more reading on the subject and comparing the 5D4 to my 1D4, I see the 5D4 has these advantages...

Slightly more pixel density than my 1D4.
Has the AF module from the 1DXII.
Better base ISO DR (which is good since I shoot aviation at ISO 100 or 200).
Larger and higher resolution LCD.
7 fps (maybe a good thing, since my 1D4 is either 3 or 10 fps and I've always wished for something in between).

Time will tell how the 5D4 works for action photography. I'm also looking forward to seeing some crop samples.

Frank, not sure if you are aware that you can customise the shooting speeds on the 1D4 from 2-10fps on Hi and 1-9 on low CF III.18.

And the battery life of the 1D4, like all the 1 series, is still far greater so I am not convinced yet.

A coupla bodies and a few lenses

Talley
Talley Whacker
11,086 posts
Gallery: 46 photos
Joined Dec 2011

Aug 27, 2016 21:53 |  #411

rantercsr wrote in post #18108623 (external link)
because they use an old system where files have to be so large to retain quality.

mjpeg..

as much as i wanted to go with canon for video , i cant ..
canon builds awesome , robust tanks for cameras... and that lens line up!!
however its become clear that they arent trying to really do anything on the video side for the dlsr's ..a little something just to say they did something but they are keeping it seperate for the most part .. if you want some "jr" videographer qualities .. well you cant have any ,, you just have to get a c100ii or c300
personally i was hoping Canon was going to make a decent attempt at taking back thier throne as leader of dlsr video ..adding dual pixel , touch screen was an awesome start but then.. none of the other things like , peaking , zebras , CLog , histograms etc... oh well

luckily there are other options for budget video makers , (which have there own drawbacks, there is some brown in that grass as well i admit ) for video without going into full blown $$Cinema $ cameras

for myself ive decided the 5d4 is most likely not for me .. i'll just hang on to the 5d3 for now , and see who else can full fill my video/photogrphy needs

Right tool for the job?

A7rIII | A7III | 12-24 F4 | 16-35 GM | 28-75 2.8 | 100-400 GM | 12mm 2.8 Fisheye | 35mm 2.8 | 85mm 1.8 | 35A | 85A | 200mm L F2 IS | MC-11
My Gear Archive

markd61
60 posts
Joined Apr 2011

Aug 27, 2016 22:18 as a reply to  @ post 18108408 |  #412

The quality can be excellent.
The only real issue is capturing action where the rolling shutter would distort the image.

markd61
60 posts
Joined Apr 2011

Aug 27, 2016 22:19 as a reply to  @ post 18108440 |  #413

You can shoot at 1/4000 sec but you will get rolling shutter that may ruin an image compared to a mechanical shutter.

Van ­ Gogh
Goldmember
1,317 posts
Gallery: 118 photos
Best ofs: 5
Joined Jun 2013
Post edited over 3 years ago by Van Gogh.

Aug 27, 2016 22:44 |  #414

Ok, instead of this long discussions let me ask 1 question and be done with it (at least for myself).

For someone who does wedding videos, would I be better off with the 5D mkiv or Canon C100 mkii seeing how they cost the same now?
5D can do 4K, right, but that's probably the only advantage it has. Otherwise, C100 mkii owns it in every possible way.
Now is 4K really necessary for weddings or no that's the question (and I am inclined to think that no...?)

Camera - 2x5Dmk3, C100 mkii, 70D, 60D
Lenses - 24-70mm f2.8L II, 70-200mm f2.8L IS ii, 85mm f1.2L II, 35mm f1.4 ART, 100mm f/2.8L Macro IS
Lighting - 3 x 600EX RT's, Printer - Epson 3880

frankchn
459 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Aug 27, 2016 23:06 |  #415

Van Gogh wrote in post #18108700 (external link)
Ok, instead of this long discussions let me ask 1 question and be done with it (at least for myself).

For someone who does wedding videos, would I be better off with the 5D mkiv or Canon C100 mkii seeing how they cost the same now?
5D can do 4K, right, but that's probably the only advantage it has. Otherwise, C100 mkii owns it in every possible way.
Now is 4K really necessary for weddings or no that's the question (and I am inclined to think that no...?)

I don't think you need 4K for wedding videos so I think a (used?) C100 Mark II is the right choice if you are just doing videos.

markd61
60 posts
Joined Apr 2011

Aug 27, 2016 23:08 |  #416

WA Tiger wrote in post #18106732 (external link)
Pretty simple really. Buy it if you like it, want it and can afford it, don't buy it if you don't like what it offers. I will be buying one and I won't be complaining about it.

If the camera manufacturers added everything that everyone wanted the camera would need to be as big as house.

Great advice.
What I have found with renting new gear is that it is rarely as magical as we hope it to be.

I did not want to upgrade to the 5dmk3 from the 2 when it was first introduced but changed my mind when I used it.
The body feel was great, silent shutter added even more subjective pleasure. The AF was a bonus.

IQ was the same.
I expect the mk4 to be only slightly better in IQ. AF probably better. I think it may use the 5Ds/R motorized mirror mechanism which promises lower noise and longer life with low vibration.

Wifi is the curiosity for me as other cameras I use that have built-in Wifi have a hard time staying connected. What would be excellent is if the camera would work with the CamRanger app.

Video is not what I do but 4K is interesting from the frame grab point of view. Lots of review to find those frames though.

rantercsr
Goldmember
3,201 posts
Gallery: 56 photos
Joined Mar 2014

Aug 27, 2016 23:09 as a reply to  @ Van Gogh's post |  #417

i would agree no..
c100 mk ii does very good 1080 p. and does Clog

i'm tempted .. but for what i do i would prefer something more discreet

I got a couple of Cameras and lenses ...Canon, Sony, Fuji, Pansonic, pentax
My portraits IG (external link)My everything else IG (external link)
MY flickr (external link)
My latest YT video -->https://youtu.be/YzJ1o​eiHm7Y (external link)

RDKirk
Adorama says I'm "packed."
13,098 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined May 2004

Aug 27, 2016 23:18 |  #418

umphotography wrote in post #18105248 (external link)
My thoughts

Much is going to depend on how well the new sensor performs with ISO, dark and shadow performance...That will be the primary focus for those that have the 5D3

Im not excited about 30Mb files

Has new stuff and built in Wifi that many will love.

$3499.00 for the body is same as the 5D3 at last release

Most people that do this for a living will now need to make a decision.....2 5D4's or a single 1Dx2 body...The 1Dx2 is going to be cheaper by $1000.00

Im really happy that I went 1Dx2 and I plan on hanging on to the current 5D3 for another season until Im forced to do something

on Paper this 5D4 looks great

Iso dark and shadow performance will determine how well it sells. It needs to be clean at 12800 ISO. Hoping it will get there.

Testers reports will be out next week. Obviously Clay Blackmore and Lindsey Adler have had their hands on it. Willing to bet Jeff Ascough has had his hands on it as well....These guys are straight up people and will put out good info about the camera.....I would read carefully

I could never do it for a living with just one body.

TANSTAAFL--The Only Unbreakable Rule in Photography

bacchanal
Cream of the Crop
5,284 posts
Joined Jan 2007

Aug 27, 2016 23:20 |  #419

Van Gogh wrote in post #18108700 (external link)

C100 II would be my choice for sure, It's a really nice form factor, much more appropriate codec for dealing with hours of footage, built in NDs. If you really needed 4k (which I agree, isn't necessary for weddings at this point), the closest thing in terms of price/usability is probably the FS5.

Drew A. | gear | photosexternal link

RDKirk
Adorama says I'm "packed."
13,098 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined May 2004

Aug 27, 2016 23:21 |  #420

fordmondeo wrote in post #18105705 (external link)
Awwwww! nuts!

Does this mean my 5Dsr is rubbish already?

Yes, yes that's what it means.

Send your 5Dsr to me. I'll dispose of it for you.

TANSTAAFL--The Only Unbreakable Rule in Photography

sponsored links

814,194 views & 2,668 likes for this thread
Canon 5D Mark IV -- Time to Discuss!
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.