Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 24 Aug 2016 (Wednesday) 21:29
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Canon 5D Mark IV -- Time to Discuss!

markd61
60 posts
Joined Apr 2011

Aug 27, 2016 23:21 as a reply to  @ post 18106869 |  #421

Movie studios will NOT be picking this camera for video.

While it has 4K as a marquee feature it records in MJPG and lacks a flat profile. (though it does have its HDR video mode though I can only wonder how that will grade), No 4K HDMI out, no head phone jack, a crop frame that is only slightly larger than µ43.

Some issues my be solved with firmware upgrades but I wouldn't hold my breath as then it starts stepping on the toes of the 1Dc and C100.

Right now a mature µ43 4K camera is a GH4 for about $1000. The GH5 is right around the corner and will open the gap even further.

The 4K feature was implemented to keep up with the competition. However, it seems Canon views its video users as relatively unsophisticated and presumes the bulk will be happy with what ships.
Canon possibly thinks that more demanding video users will look at the C-100.

sponsored links
Van ­ Gogh
Goldmember
1,317 posts
Gallery: 118 photos
Best ofs: 5
Joined Jun 2013

Aug 27, 2016 23:56 |  #422

bacchanal wrote in post #18108730 (external link)
C100 II would be my choice for sure, It's a really nice form factor, much more appropriate codec for dealing with hours of footage, built in NDs. If you really needed 4k (which I agree, isn't necessary for weddings at this point), the closest thing in terms of price/usability is probably the FS5.

Yes, I have heard great things about FS5 but can't get over the fact that Canon Dual Pixel AF for live view focusing is considered very superior to anything else out there...

Camera - 2x5Dmk3, C100 mkii, 70D, 60D
Lenses - 24-70mm f2.8L II, 70-200mm f2.8L IS ii, 85mm f1.2L II, 35mm f1.4 ART, 100mm f/2.8L Macro IS
Lighting - 3 x 600EX RT's, Printer - Epson 3880

digital ­ paradise
How do I change this?
15,170 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Oct 2009

Aug 28, 2016 00:08 |  #423

jbrackjr wrote in post #18108578 (external link)
That is exactly how the 80D works.;-)a

Awesome. I have wanted that feature for years.

Image Editing OK

Website (external link) ~ Buy/Sell Feedback

Perfectly ­ Frank
I'm too sexy for my lens
4,602 posts
Gallery: 65 photos
Joined Oct 2010

Aug 28, 2016 01:45 |  #424

graham121 wrote in post #18108628 (external link)
Frank, not sure if you are aware that you can customise the shooting speeds on the 1D4 from 2-10fps on Hi and 1-9 on low CF III.18.

And the battery life of the 1D4, like all the 1 series, is still far greater so I am not convinced yet.

Uh-oh, I need to read the manual again :oops:
Thanks for the update.

Right, how the 5D4 works for aviation remains to be seen. I hope to rent both the 5D4 and 1DXII before the year is over.

When you see my camera gear you'll think I'm a pro.
When you see my photos you'll know that I'm not.

welshwizard1971
Goldmember
1,448 posts
Joined Aug 2012
Post edited over 3 years ago by welshwizard1971.

Aug 28, 2016 02:46 |  #425

Talley wrote in post #18108573 (external link)
Photoshop is not real photography... I mean I get it it's an artsy thing to do but video, photo... it's all the exact same thing. MJPEG = jpeg so I disagree with your comment. Capturing a frame of video is the same thing as capturing an image especially when you have full control if ISO, Shutter and aperture in the video

It's raising spray and pray to an art form that's for certain, in fact not spray and pray, just pray. I compose an image, hoping to grab a frame from a video isn't what I would call composing, fantastically useful and fun definately , but firmly in the realm of a snapper rather than a photographer. Film of course can be composed, cinematography can be amazing, 'Hero' for example, but they still have a stills guy for the photo's.

EOS R 5D III, 40D, 16-35L 35 ART 50 ART 100L macro, 24-70 L Mk2, 135L 200L 70-200L f4 IS
Hype chimping - The act of looking at your screen after every shot, then wildly behaving like it's the best picture in the world, to try and impress other photographers around you.

sploo
premature adulation
2,446 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Nov 2011

Aug 28, 2016 04:22 |  #426

Van Gogh wrote in post #18108360 (external link)
Ok I think you answered my question with your post.  :p
So, shutter speed and the resulting sharpness of frame grabs will not really have anything to do with shutter speed we select in video, fps is all that matters!

If I understand the above correctly... the opposite!

Think of the video frame frame as being how often you press the shutter button. The shutter speed is how long the shutter stays open, and that's what will control sharpness of moving objects.

A high frame rate simply means you're taking more photos per second.

What you can't do is have a shutter speed that's slower than the frame rate, as the camera couldn't take enough frames in the time required.

For video work, a shutter speed of twice the frame rate (e.g. 1/50th for 25fps) tends to make what we consider "natural" video. For screen grabs you'll likely want a higher shutter speed to get sharp individual frames, at the expense of slightly odd looking video.

I suppose in time someone may develop tools that look at video frames and smear them such that you can take 30fps video with a 1/1000th shutter speed (for sharp stills) but then produce an edit that looks smooth for video playback. Someone's already mentioned the possibility of cool stuff with Twixor.

AltgnJoey wrote in post #18108577 (external link)
I also think composite photography is a joke as well but I'm not going to go off topic.

Remember that Ansel Adams did an awful lot of editing in his day ;)

jbrackjr wrote in post #18108590 (external link)
I'm not clear on why Canon's 4k file size is 4 to 5 times the size of Nikon & Sony? And if I read the reviews correctly, the extra large files provide nothing in return except to be a PIA in processing and taking up enormous capacity on your cf cards.

Maybe I missed it in this thread.

It effectively stores a flick book of individual JPEG photos, with no compression of moving objects between the frames (i.e. it's interframe only, rather than inter and intra like MPEG).

That makes it good for image quality and extracting stills, but not so good for compression (the file sizes are big).

markd61 wrote in post #18108720 (external link)
IQ was the same.
I expect the mk4 to be only slightly better in IQ.

I'm not expecting huge high ISO improvements, but I am expecting some serious steps forward in low ISO DR and noise character. The 80D and 1Dx2 have achieved that; I want that too! :)

Camera, some lenses, too little time, too little talent

sploo
premature adulation
2,446 posts
Joined Nov 2011

Aug 28, 2016 04:41 |  #427

markd61 wrote in post #18108734 (external link)
, a crop frame that is only slightly larger than µ43.

Some issues my be solved with firmware upgrades but I wouldn't hold my breath as then it starts stepping on the toes of the 1Dc and C100.

Throwing out a random idea; I wonder if the Magic Lantern team could configure the camera to record 6144x3240 MJPEG, with a more aggressive compression setting to keep the data rate feasible for the card. Once resized to 4096x2160 in post the quality may be ok (the full 6144x3240 frames would likely look bad at the pixel level due to strong compression).

That wouldn't solve the problems of large files but would result in 4K video with only a small crop from the cameras sensor.

The issue would be whether the camera's JPEG engine could compress those large frames quickly enough, as that's a lot more pixels per frame.

BigAl007
Cream of the Crop
8,015 posts
Gallery: 543 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2010

Aug 28, 2016 04:54 |  #428

sploo wrote in post #18108853 (external link)
If I understand the above correctly... the opposite!

Think of the video frame frame as being how often you press the shutter button. The shutter speed is how long the shutter stays open, and that's what will control sharpness of moving objects.

A high frame rate simply means you're taking more photos per second.

What you can't do is have a shutter speed that's slower than the frame rate, as the camera couldn't take enough frames in the time required.

For video work, a shutter speed of twice the frame rate (e.g. 1/50th for 25fps) tends to make what we consider "natural" video. For screen grabs you'll likely want a higher shutter speed to get sharp individual frames, at the expense of slightly odd looking video.

I suppose in time someone may develop tools that look at video frames and smear them such that you can take 30fps video with a 1/1000th shutter speed (for sharp stills) but then produce an edit that looks smooth for video playback. Someone's already mentioned the possibility of cool stuff with Twixor.

Remember that Ansel Adams did an awful lot of editing in his day ;)

It effectively stores a flick book of individual JPEG photos, with no compression of moving objects between the frames (i.e. it's interframe only, rather than inter and intra like MPEG).

That makes it good for image quality and extracting stills, but not so good for compression (the file sizes are big).

I'm not expecting huge high ISO improvements, but I am expecting some serious steps forward in low ISO DR and noise character. The 80D and 1Dx2 have achieved that; I want that too! :)

The classic use of this in a big blockbuster movie is the first half hour of Saving Private Ryan, and many of the other combat scenes in that movie. They were shot at much higher shutter speeds, and the resulting sharpness of the image gives the crisp but flickering effect.

Oh and if you actually look at 35mm cine film, the crop Canon have used gives a very similar frame area to non anamorphic film. Remember the cine frame was based on a four sprocket pull down format of 24×18mm. The still image format tipped this on it's side, and used eight holes for 36×24. So for video sensors anything bigger than APS-C is larger than the traditional 35mm format.

Alan

My Flickr (external link)
My new Aviation images blog site (external link)

sploo
premature adulation
2,446 posts
Joined Nov 2011

Aug 28, 2016 05:06 |  #429

BigAl007 wrote in post #18108862 (external link)
The classic use of this in a big blockbuster movie is the first half hour of Saving Private Ryan, and many of the other combat scenes in that movie. They were shot at much higher shutter speeds, and the resulting sharpness of the image gives the crisp but flickering effect.

Oh and if you actually look at 35mm cine film, the crop Canon have used gives a very similar frame area to non anamorphic film. Remember the cine frame was based on a four sprocket pull down format of 24×18mm. The still image format tipped this on it's side, and used eight holes for 36×24. So for video sensors anything bigger than APS-C is larger than the traditional 35mm format.

Alan

I've seen example videos shot at different shutter speeds before but didn't know that about SPR. Interesting, thanks.

h14nha
Goldmember
2,061 posts
Gallery: 11 photos
Joined Nov 2008

Aug 28, 2016 05:27 |  #430

Next time Saving Private Ryan is on my eyes will be glued to the screen. Interesting bits of video information in this thread, I never knew I knew so little...........

Ian
There's no fool like an old skool fool :D
myflickr (external link)
My Gear - 7d, / 16-35mm F4 / 70-200 2.8 II / 100-400 / 300mm 2.8 / 500/4 :D XT-1 Graphite 18/35/56

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
37,404 posts
Gallery: 111 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined May 2002

Aug 28, 2016 05:55 |  #431

I think i can use the video to shoot a basketball dunk and then pull out the perfect frame considering 7fps stills aren't enough. I will have fun trying that, but cannot rely on that mode as i wouldn't have enough storage for the game. I want to see some shadow pulling examples, has anything been posted?

Past Equipment | My Personal Gallery (external link) My Business Gallery (external link)
For Sale: Sigma USB Dock

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
37,404 posts
Gallery: 111 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined May 2002

Aug 28, 2016 05:57 |  #432

Talley wrote in post #18108299 (external link)
My PRIMARY interest in the 4K is it's frame grab ability. For me my kid is in baseball...albeit 8U so it's still small kids. You don't know how many countless 10fps 7D2 shots or 6fps 5D3 shots I wasted trying to get the ball on bat photo. I did succeed but even still with timing and all that its like 70% wasted shots. NOW... I can use 4k and have 30fps and pull a frame from it and nail it every time AND it works to 1/4000 shutter AND it's a 1.64 crop so I can use my 200/2 and get me closer to the action doing this. NO more wasted shots. I also take photos of all the kids on the team as my way to contribute, in the end I do a 8x10 print of all the kids and a CD of many photos to their parents. They love them and I don't mind doing this.

Two of my daughters are in dance... I can now just do 4K and have them do their jumps/spins and be able to grab the perfect shot. This doesn't take away from using the regular photo because its' only 8.8MB photo BUT for facebook and having the memory it serves great.

I also took some of the frame grab samples of the 1DC and printed them to 8x10 and believe me I have ZERO issue with the output... looks fantastic! So again I'm just tickled over here and cannot wait to get my new 5D4!

You can produce 20x30 poster prints from an 8Mpx image, we did it all the time with the 20d and 30d with great results.

Past Equipment | My Personal Gallery (external link) My Business Gallery (external link)
For Sale: Sigma USB Dock

BigAl007
Cream of the Crop
8,015 posts
Gallery: 543 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2010

Aug 28, 2016 06:03 |  #433

I have to say that I think one of the reasons that the beach scenes in SPR help to give a feeling of what it was really like is the use of the higher than normal shutter speeds for the frame rate. I'm lucky to have never had to fight in combat, but if you have ever been in a high stress situation where the adrenaline kicks in you will have felt that sense of heightened perception, and the effect of time slowing down. I remember as a teenager being sat in my dad's car, as he rear ended another car at quite high speed, and watching the bonnet (hood for you Americans) crumpled on impact. I also had plenty of time to grab the dashboard, to stop me making contact with the windscreen, as this was in the days before seat belts became compulsory. I have also seen documentary evidence that showed in that type of high stress incident that we can perceive events that last only 1/1000 second, instead of the more normal 1/100 or so. So most of the guys crossing that beach on D Day would have perceived it in a very similar way.

Alan

My Flickr (external link)
My new Aviation images blog site (external link)

SuzyView
Cream of the Crop
32,093 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Oct 2005

Aug 28, 2016 07:07 |  #434

I can't wait to get mine, but I think the first lens to put on it is my beautiful 17-40 and run outside and take amazing landscapes around my house. Fall is coming soon and I want to get every color out of the camera and post a few here. Love FF, love my first L lens.

My 5D2 did a good job last night, but my iPhone was better taking portraits in the dark. Must work on that one. I'm hoping the 5D4 focuses better in dim light.

Suzie - Still Speaking Canonese!
5DIV, SONY a7iii, 7D2, G12, M100, M50, 5 L's & 2 Primes, 25 bags.
My children and grandchildren are the reason, but it's the passion that drives me to get the perfect image of everything.

sploo
premature adulation
2,446 posts
Joined Nov 2011

Aug 28, 2016 07:09 |  #435

TeamSpeed wrote in post #18108885 (external link)
I think i can use the video to shoot a basketball dunk and then pull out the perfect frame considering 7fps stills aren't enough. I will have fun trying that, but cannot rely on that mode as i wouldn't have enough storage for the game. I want to see some shadow pulling examples, has anything been posted?

Do you shoot raw at a game though?

500Mbps of MJPEG video is about 60MB per second. A one second burst of 30MB raw files at 7fps is 210MB; so with just short bursts of MJPEG video it's unlikely to use more card space than shooting raw.

That's also just made me realise that if Canon had put a CFast slot in the 5D4 we probably could have shot at 7fps near continuously :(

I've only seen JPEG sample photos so far, so you could try pulling shadows but it won't really give a full picture until we get raws. That said, I did try that with the 1Dx2 and 80D JPEGs and they faired better than the same from the 5D3.

sponsored links

836,488 views & 2,668 likes for this thread
Canon 5D Mark IV -- Time to Discuss!
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.