Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 12 Jun 2016 (Sunday) 07:20
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Bought a 1D mark IV, love it but need advice!

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
39,248 posts
Gallery: 116 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined May 2002
Post edited over 5 years ago by TeamSpeed.

Jul 14, 2016 13:21 |  #196

Levina de Ruijter wrote in post #18066776 (external link)
Wow, thanks guys!

Tom, you clearly have a lot of experience on eBay. Thank you for all that information! Although I do think I am too chicken to start with a 1 Euro bid. :oops:

About the serial number. Cary, are you saying I need to show it in full on the pics? The reason why makes perfect sense to me, but I also read that showing the whole serial number was risky as people could then register it with Canon and claim it stolen. Any thoughts on this?

Tom #2  :p , I'm already making an add for the Dutch version of CL. See how that goes first. There are at present a number of 1D3's for sale on that list. The shops who advertise there have price tags well above 800 Euro, they're closer to 1000. Private listings are mostly around 800, so I intend to go a bit lower and be competitive. There's also a few other places I might try, like a Dutch photography forum. Problem is Dutch photography forums are small... Maybe I should put up an add here at POTN too. At least over here people know me.

Register it with Canon now before you sell it. ;) However, there is little risk. You have proof of purchase for the 1D3.

Past Equipment | My Personal Gallery (external link) My Business Gallery (external link)
For Sale: Sigma USB Dock

sponsored links
Levina ­ de ­ Ruijter
THREAD ­ STARTER
I'm a bloody goody two-shoes!
19,643 posts
Gallery: 361 photos
Best ofs: 11
Joined Sep 2008

Jul 14, 2016 13:36 as a reply to  @ TeamSpeed's post |  #197

Oh, I register my gear the moment I know I will keep it, so the 1D3 has been on Canon's list for 18 months. I thought of that, but then I thought: who knows what these scammers might do with a serial number!
Will post images of the 1D3 with full serial number. :-P

My flickr (external link)

toanna
Hatchling
2 posts
Joined Sep 2006

Aug 13, 2016 14:09 |  #198

What do you think about buying Canon 1d IV with over 400000 clicks from sport photographer in 700€?

Levina ­ de ­ Ruijter
THREAD ­ STARTER
19,643 posts
Joined Sep 2008

Aug 13, 2016 14:39 |  #199

toanna wrote in post #18094558 (external link)
What do you think about buying Canon 1d IV with over 400000 clicks from sport photographer in 700€?

That's a tough one. If the camera is well looked after, was maybe serviced regularly and if all works as it should then yes, I would probably buy it. 700 Euro is an incredibly low price for a 1DIV, even one with that many clicks. Even if the shutter goes and you would have to put in a new one, you would still have made a good deal. But who knows, maybe that particular 1DIV won't stop until it has 800000 clicks on the shutter. where maybe a copy with only 80000 clicks may give up next week. You just never know and there are no guarantees.

If you do decide to buy it make sure the camera comes with all the original stuff, especially with the original Canon charger! That's the only reason I returned the 1DIV with 250000 clicks and a very worn exterior: the cheap, hazardous charger.

Good luck with your decision. I know how difficult it is!

daleg
695 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Aug 2013

Aug 20, 2016 10:26 |  #200

Levina de Ruijter wrote in post #18094578 (external link)
That's a tough one. If the camera is well looked after, was maybe serviced regularly and if all works as it should then yes, I would probably buy it. ...

maybe that particular 1DIV won't stop until it has 800000 clicks on the shutter. where maybe a copy with only 80000 clicks may give up next week. You just never know and there are no guarantees. ...

Gulp. I am awaiting delivery of my recently purchased 1D4. The seller is an experienced, published bird and wildlife photog - numerous bird/wildlife mag covers, NatGeo, etc. He is the original owner and has used this as his main body for 6 years.

Appearance wise, the photos look cleaner than the dash on my spots car - after I've cleaned it and treated it with Armorall. Plain english, it (camera) is amazingly clean, hardly a scratch to be found, and even the rub marks around the tripod mount have not abraded the finish.

The seller told me that he has had CPS change the shutter every 300,000 to 400,000 clicks - whether needed or not.

He has replaced the shutter 3 times. Today, it has >220,000 clicks on its 4th shutter.

It was just "cla'd" at CPS/NJ last month = "clean bill of health"

Extrapolated (I hope to confirm this), that's between 1.2 and 1.5 million clicks. The seller is providing what documentation he still has, and the name & contact info of the technician at CPS - who has personally serviced the camera.

Stay tuned. It is scheduled to arrive on Monday. Can't wait.

Levina ­ de ­ Ruijter
THREAD ­ STARTER
19,643 posts
Joined Sep 2008

Aug 20, 2016 10:45 as a reply to  @ daleg's post |  #201

Wow, that camera has been heavily used. But by the sound of it by a pro who took good care of it. That's important I think. I hope you will love it as much as I love mine, Daleg. It's a great camera. Congratulations!

And I would love to hear your thoughts after you've received it!

daleg
695 posts
Joined Aug 2013
Post edited over 4 years ago by daleg. (2 edits in all)

Aug 20, 2016 11:09 as a reply to  @ Levina de Ruijter's post |  #202

thanks Levina.

I had enough discussions with the seller that I became increasingly comfortable with his comments and representations - nevermind his outstanding work (which is almost as good as yours, Levina!).

As nobody is getting rich on this transaction, I see no reason for the seller to mislead, etc.

My primary alternative, when I decided to purchase this (again, gulp), was another seller of a pristine, lower mileage 1d4 - purchased by this other seller - a mere 6 weeks ago (I found the listing) for a significantly cheaper price - and with 30k fewer actuations. neither of which, of course, was disclosed. I didn't buy this camera for the simple reason that I found the seller to be somewhat less than forthcoming, honest, etc.

Dealing with an established, talented, (hopefully) honest person? Well, that's why I purchased through a message board populated by real photographers. I don't like dealing with "slippery" sellers.

I'll post an update on my unboxing experience.

Dale

Levina ­ de ­ Ruijter
THREAD ­ STARTER
19,643 posts
Joined Sep 2008

Aug 20, 2016 12:25 as a reply to  @ daleg's post |  #203

Dale, I'm a strong believer in going with your gut feeling. I think you were wise to not take the other 1D4. You have to be careful here too though as many sellers at POTN are not really part of the community. They just buy and sell. Most are honest and have good reps though, but every once and awhile someone is found out to be a scammer. Of course they don't get to do it for very long as word gets out pretty quickly, but it's always a good idea to check out a seller.

Looking forward to your update!

daleg
695 posts
Joined Aug 2013
Post edited over 4 years ago by daleg.

Aug 23, 2016 23:17 |  #204

my newly acquired, well used (1.2-1.5 MIL clicks) 1D4 arrived Monday. today, we had a not so quick trip to our local marina across the river, thus - its first outing.

the physical condition of this camera is unbelievably clean. hardly a scratch to be found - anywhere. amazing - for a camera that has >200k on its FOURTH shutter.

someday, I'll unravel the mysteries of posting photos on this forum - as I do have 3 or 4 shots from today's short excursion on the river.

I'm really looking forward to using the 1D4. My 1.4x III should hopefully arrive (slow boat from florida?) sometime next week. First time out (today), I didn't want to handle the bulkier 100-400 II - so I used a tamron 28-300, for its compactness. images to follow if I have time to learn how. maybe tomorrow?

Dale

Levina ­ de ­ Ruijter
THREAD ­ STARTER
19,643 posts
Joined Sep 2008

Aug 24, 2016 12:52 as a reply to  @ daleg's post |  #205

That sounds really good, Dale! I'm happy for you that the camera is as clean as you describe it. That matters because it says something about how the previous owner handled it.

As to posting photos here, there are two ways: to embed or to upload directly to the server.

To embed your images you need a photo hosting site like flickr where you need to copy the BBCode and paste it here and your images will show up. Images cannot exceed 1280 pixels on the long end, so you will have to resize them to that first. You are allowed to post 8 images at a time this way.
A simpler way is with the FETCH tool. Just copy the image's URL and paste it in the FETCH tool field. It works pretty well now, even with flickr.

Another way is to upload your photos directly from your computer to the forum server. Size doesn't matter because AMASS (the forum software) will resize them for you. All you do is click the "Upload Images" button in the text editor. Then simply browse to your image on your computer, click "open" and that's it. You are allowed 2 images at a time this way. If you click on the thumbnail of the image in the Upload Images pop-up screen, you get a short line of code that you can move around meaning you can put your images where you want in your comment. This is handy in case you want to put text in between the images or if you want to change the order of the images.

I don't know where you would like to post your first photos with the 1D4, but you are most welcome to post them here at any time.

daleg
695 posts
Joined Aug 2013

Aug 28, 2016 23:48 as a reply to  @ Levina de Ruijter's post |  #206

Thanks Levina. Your help & encouragement are appreciated. Fumbling a bit, but here are a handful from the first outing. Taken during the harsh, mid-afternoon lighting on a cloudless day:

note: images below are from my recently acquired Canon 1D Mark IV w/Tamron 28-300mm f/3.5-6.3 Di VC PZD. this lens was not presented as a option when setting up EXIF data via PotN. curious.

IMAGE: https://farm9.staticflickr.com/8463/28574016083_1ab66a94f5_b.jpg
IMAGE LINK: https://www.flickr.com …083/in/datepost​ed-public/  (external link)
DALE7168 ppd (external link) by Dale Gravatt (external link) on Flickr

IMAGE: https://farm9.staticflickr.com/8016/28906320030_5f17380255_b.jpg
IMAGE LINK: https://www.flickr.com …030/in/datepost​ed-public/  (external link)
DALE7171 ppd (external link) by Dale Gravatt (external link) on Flickr

IMAGE: https://farm9.staticflickr.com/8098/29194040155_c7f04ef1bc_b.jpg
IMAGE LINK: https://www.flickr.com …155/in/datepost​ed-public/  (external link)
DALE7182 ppd (external link) by Dale Gravatt (external link) on Flickr

IMAGE: https://farm9.staticflickr.com/8201/28572038874_56e8272879_b.jpg
IMAGE LINK: https://www.flickr.com …874/in/datepost​ed-public/  (external link)
DALE7194 ppd (external link) by Dale Gravatt (external link) on Flickr

IMAGE: https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7569/28906323100_9fe7773c58_b.jpg
IMAGE LINK: https://www.flickr.com …100/in/datepost​ed-public/  (external link)
DALE7216 ppd (external link) by Dale Gravatt (external link) on Flickr

Levina ­ de ­ Ruijter
THREAD ­ STARTER
19,643 posts
Joined Sep 2008

Aug 29, 2016 08:36 as a reply to  @ daleg's post |  #207

Dale, are you sure you didn't take these picture here, in Amsterdam, at the lake? Because Cormorants on poles in a harbour, that's pretty much what I have here! :-P

Seriously though, the pictures look great, even though light was not ideal. One thing that I was thinking is how nice the colours are, like in the picture of the people in the street. Very natural and lovely.

So, how did you like the camera out there? The weight might be something to get used to. My first 1D body was the 1DIIN, heavier than the 1D4 and after the first outing I was sure I wasn't going to manage the weight but I got used to it pretty quickly. The downside of that is that anything else but a 1D body feels like a toy now!

daleg
695 posts
Joined Aug 2013

Aug 29, 2016 14:43 as a reply to  @ Levina de Ruijter's post |  #208

thanks Levina.

on that particular afternoon, I really struggled to find any birds that were not strongly back-lit, with all features in deep shade. seemed like all BIF shots were right into the sun.

my main reason for the 1D4 is for birds and wildlife photography - as we live on a bank of a tidal tributary (the elk river) of the Chesapeake Bay. we're struggling with the final details of setting up our expanded dock and lift for a pontoon boat we purchased at the end of last season. 90% done - but still NOT ready for daily use. it's a challenge. getting this done has been driving me crazy (short trip).

and yes, the cormorants do populate this river. we also see blue herons, a few ospreys and bald eagles (a better place for eagles is Conowingo Dam - about a 30 minute drive), and even an occasional great egret - and countless "normal" water birds (gulls, barn swallows, etc). I'm hoping to navigate into shallows - to see what else lurks in the reeds...

weight wise, the 1D4 isn't too bad. I've had a 1D3 (still do) for nearly 2 years, so I'm a bit used to the weight. years ago, I often shot medium format film (500c/m).

now I just need to spend time exploring, watching tutorials, reading and studying - in general - obtaining comfort, familiarity and muscle memory with the 1D4 - 'though there's little difference, physically, from the 1D3. as an aside, I presently have the HUGE 40/2.8 stm mounted! looks kinda funny, but...

a visiting friend recently told my partner & I that the 1D4 was a "gateway drug"! you should have seen the blood drain from my better half's face. she turned white as a ghost - staring at my friends 1Dx2 & 1Dx (his backup).

meanwhile, thanks for your kind words and encouragement.

and good luck with your 1d4. I look forward to seeing your images. have fun...
dale

Tom ­ Reichner
"That's what I do."
16,160 posts
Gallery: 182 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Dec 2008
Location: from Pennsylvania, now in Washington state, road trip back and forth a lot, with extensive detouring

Aug 29, 2016 15:05 |  #209

daleg wrote in post #18110438 (external link)
on that particular afternoon, I really struggled to find any birds that were not strongly back-lit, with all features in deep shade. seemed like all BIF shots were right into the sun.

That can actually make for some wonderful imagery. I actually look for opportunities to shoot strongly backlit BIF on bright sunny days. I love images that emphasize form and motion, rather than detail.

"Your" and "you're" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"They're", "their", and "there" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"Fare" and "fair" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one. The proper expression is "moot point", NOT "mute point".

Levina ­ de ­ Ruijter
THREAD ­ STARTER
19,643 posts
Joined Sep 2008

Aug 29, 2016 16:16 |  #210

daleg wrote in post #18110438 (external link)
thanks Levina.

my main reason for the 1D4 is for birds and wildlife photography - as we live on a bank of a tidal tributary (the elk river) of the Chesapeake Bay. we're struggling with the final details of setting up our expanded dock and lift for a pontoon boat we purchased at the end of last season. 90% done - but still NOT ready for daily use. it's a challenge. getting this done has been driving me crazy (short trip).

and yes, the cormorants do populate this river. we also see blue herons, a few ospreys and bald eagles (a better place for eagles is Conowingo Dam - about a 30 minute drive), and even an occasional great egret - and countless "normal" water birds (gulls, barn swallows, etc). I'm hoping to navigate into shallows - to see what else lurks in the reeds...

weight wise, the 1D4 isn't too bad. I've had a 1D3 (still do) for nearly 2 years, so I'm a bit used to the weight. years ago, I often shot medium format film (500c/m).

now I just need to spend time exploring, watching tutorials, reading and studying - in general - obtaining comfort, familiarity and muscle memory with the 1D4 - 'though there's little difference, physically, from the 1D3. as an aside, I presently have the HUGE 40/2.8 stm mounted! looks kinda funny, but...

a visiting friend recently told my partner & I that the 1D4 was a "gateway drug"! you should have seen the blood drain from my better half's face. she turned white as a ghost - staring at my friends 1Dx2 & 1Dx (his backup).

meanwhile, thanks for your kind words and encouragement.

and good luck with your 1d4. I look forward to seeing your images. have fun...
dale

Very cool to have a pontoon boat. I could use one here to cruise the canals! :) Hopefully you can get it to work soon. Fingers crossed.

Tom Reichner wrote in post #18110471 (external link)

That can actually make for some wonderful imagery. I actually look for opportunities to shoot strongly backlit BIF on bright sunny days. I love images that emphasize form and motion, rather than detail.

I don't know, Tom. Yes, it can work, but more often than not it does not and when it doesn't, it really doesn't.

sponsored links

35,930 views & 70 likes for this thread
Bought a 1D mark IV, love it but need advice!
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.