Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 24 Aug 2016 (Wednesday) 21:29
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Canon 5D Mark IV -- Time to Discuss!

krikricricri
29 posts
Joined Dec 2008
Post edited over 3 years ago by krikricricri.

Aug 29, 2016 00:47 |  #496

Enjoy !!!

Raws and Jpegs

https://www.dpreview.c​om …eal-world-samples-gallery (external link)

sponsored links
krikricricri
29 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Aug 29, 2016 02:05 |  #497

Enjoy 2 !! :-D

http://www.imaging-resource.com …n-5d-iv/canon-5d-ivA7.HTM (external link)

George ­ Zip
My neighbours are looking at me a bit strangely
1,394 posts
Gallery: 31 photos
Joined Aug 2015

Aug 29, 2016 02:56 |  #498

Question.

I know very little about video. I hardly ever shoot it. If I do it, it is on a phone -?

I really can't see myself using 4k, to be honest, when I watch something on 1080p, it looks awesome to me and for my purposes I can't imagine going beyond that for a long time. Also I don't have any 4K TVs or monitors, so I couldn't view it at this point anyway.

Has anyone compared file size of the 5DIV at 1080p to other systems yet? And how big are the files?

jonneymendoza
Goldmember
3,788 posts
Joined Apr 2008

Aug 29, 2016 04:35 |  #499

umphotography wrote in post #18109705 (external link)
Stopped reading some of this nonsense at page 20

Go look at Jeff Ascoughs post on his Facebook page. This giy has tested the 5D series for canon since they came out. He knows the line well.

This Camera is going to be Killer. Canon did it. They are in the game with a great sensor with ISO thats going to be good at 25000 and substantial dark/shadow retention......No one has done a test but I will bet you probably going to be able to pull 4-5 stops and its going to be similar to the 1Dx2 files

This is a home run again

Im not buying one this year because I got the 1Dx2

But you can bet, next season or when this 5D3 hits 125K on the count im gonna jump all over this body

here is Ascoughs comments...Read carefully. He knows what he is talking about and doing

---------------FROM JEFFS FB POST---------------
Before we dive into my thoughts on this camera I just wanted to mention that as a Canon Ambassador I often get greeted with some cynicism and the predictable “he would say that wouldn’t he” comments by certain photographers whenever there is any new Canon product release. Alas, there is this big misconception that all Ambassadors are brainwashed by Canon and will say exactly what they want us to say. This actually couldn’t be further from the truth. One of the things that Ambassadors insist on is ensuring we keep our professional credibility; there are a lot of products from Canon which I don’t personally use, and I would never get involved with a product if I didn’t use or believe in it. What people don’t realise is that any new camera release involves hours of feedback from Ambassadors to Canon and we can be some of the toughest photographers on the planet to please.

In 2008, and after thirteen years of using EOS 1 series cameras, I received my first EOS 5. The EOS 5D MKII was groundbreaking at the time and I had a pretty good relationship with it. I loved the size and weight but there were still certain things a 1 series could do much better. Eventually I ended up using an EOS 5DMKII during the summer and an EOS 1D MKIV in the winter. However that all changed in 2012 when I received a package which contained a preproduction sample of the latest 5 series camera - the EOS 5D MKIII. I was smitten and haven’t used anything else since. The files are stunning. The AF just works and the high ISO quality has been fantastic. The cameras have been incredibly reliable (I think the only thing that has been replaced is a cracked LCD) and they have helped me to produce some of the best images of my career. I have been incredibly happy with them and, to be honest, if I had to use these cameras to the end of my career I would be ok with that. However, life isn’t that simple and last month Sarah and I were sent another package which contained a preproduction sample of the latest 5 series camera….

For me the only way to truly test a camera is in the field. Taking a few snaps while walking along a street or some pictures of the kids isn’t any test of how the camera will perform especially when you are a wedding photographer. I need to know how it will work when faced with the usual 10 hours time frame, multiple locations, extremes of light quality, and the requirement to get 300 great images. I’m glad to say we were both able to use the EOS 5D MKIV extensively over two weddings and Canon literally had to prise them out of our hands afterwards so that other Ambassadors could get to try them. Fortunately we will be getting the full production models very soon, and it’s not an exaggeration to say that we can’t wait!!

So what’s new?

The camera specs should be out now and I will leave it to the forums and websites, the pixel peepers and the geeks to pore over the new stuff. A lot of the tech included in the camera is quite incredible, but I’m a photographer first and foremost and all I’m genuinely interested in is how the camera handles, the image quality, its low light performance, and how well it focuses. These are the bits that allow me to do my job and are the essential elements to any camera system.

HANDLING

A really welcome surprise (and proof that Canon do listen to us) is that the camera is smaller and lighter than it’s predecessor. It doesn’t look that huge a difference on paper, but in the hand it is really comfortable. I do have quite small hands and holding a camera for hours on end can become really quite uncomfortable. No problems with this one though. I used the camera extensively with the new Canon 24-105 f4L MKII and the balance was just right. If you use the Canon 70-200 f2.8L MKII lens a lot, you may feel that the optional grip might be worth checking out. I didn’t have any issue using the camera without the grip but those with large hands might feel they want something more to grab onto when using the bigger and heavier lenses. With something like a Canon 35mm f2 IS attached, the camera is really unobtrusive. I’ll leave it to Sarah to tell you her thoughts on the camera, but she is tiny and was initially worried that that the new camera would be too heavy compared to her usual EOS 6D’s. She didn’t have any issues whatsoever. She started off shooting the two cameras side by side but quickly discarded the 6D in favour of the 5D MKIV.

The body oozes quality. In this era of retro looking digital cameras trying to be something they aren’t, this is one serious professional level DSLR which immediately inspires confidence. It is strong, slick, robust, weatherproof, and very easy to use. In addition to the size and weight, other Improvements have been made in terms of the LCD quality which is gorgeous, the viewfinder (which is also gorgeous), and the button placement on the back of the camera which is a little more intuitive than the old camera. These things may seem relatively minor but really help when using the camera. The touch screen LCD was something I was a little unsure of initially but in my world it does make checking images a lot easier than the old button and dial approach. The silent shutter is great and (note to Canon) really ought to be on the next 1 series!!

There is one very important feature which you can’t see on the outside and which can only be appreciated when you are using the camera - the buffer. Usually on a 5 series I will hit the buffer at some point during the day - often late in the evening shooting multiple frames quickly at 6400 ISO. That is now a thing of the past. Even with dual (slow) cards and at 12800 ISO, I didn’t hit the buffer once. It just kept going and going and going. For me this means no more missed shots. No more cursing the slow cards. No more backing the ISO down in order to help the camera out. Given the increase in file size, this is a monumental improvement over the old camera.

To sum up the handling of this camera for anyone with the EOS 5D MKIII - this is like putting on a pair of old shoes but then finding all of a sudden you can walk much faster and get to where you want to be a lot quicker. Anyone wanting a dramatic shift in terms of design will be disappointed, but then the 5 series has always been a fantastic camera to use and if it ain’t broke…

IMAGE QUALITY

This really is Game Over. Forget about anything else. This camera produces the best files I have ever seen from a DSLR. There is no way I could even begin to show how great the files are on the internet. You need to see them uncompressed on a 27” monitor. Obviously we have more Megapixels to play with now and if I’m honest this is the least exciting thing for me about the camera. I know photographers who demand more and more MP and yet nobody ever sees their work outside of an internet browser at 1024 px across!! Wedding photography doesn’t need more than 18-20MP, but if the increase in IQ is a direct result of the increase in MP, then I’ll be happy to live with the bigger files!!

How to explain what the files look like without getting all techy? They are very film like with enormous amounts of detail. Skin tones are magical and the red and green palette of colours is the truest I’ve seen from a Canon camera. The highlight retention is quite extraordinary and so smooth. In keeping with our style, I converted many of the images we took to black and white and they made me very, very happy. They look so much like analog film. Did I mention the highlight detail?

As an aside - I shot four weddings over the space of ten days with one wedding shot pretty much entirely on the 5D MKIV. Which wedding took the shortest time to process? The 5D MKIV wedding and I was using very slow and unfamiliar software to process the files. The reason? 70% of the images needed little to no correction. AWB was superb and the metering was excellent. Did I mention the highlight detail??

LOW LIGHT PERFORMANCE

This is a biggie for me. A lot of what we do as photographers is shot in low light. A camera can have every bell and whistle imaginable but if it doesn’t work in low light then I am not a happy camper and I’m probably not going to use it. I’m pleased to say that the EOS 5D MKIV is a HUGE improvement on the EOS 5D MKIII when used in dark environments. To my eyes the high ISO is probably 1.5 - 2 stops better than the previous model but I’m sure someone will scientifically calculate this at some point. It’s hard to quantify because the images just look better across the board. Let’s just say that I would have no issues whatsoever taking images at 25600 ISO at a wedding. I wouldn’t attempt to do that on the MKIII. 12800 ISO is a push!!

The AF in low light is another big improvement on the previous version of the camera. It works and works quickly. I used the camera in One Shot mode with only the cross type AF sensors activated (but mainly the centre AF point) and with people moving quickly around on a packed dance floor the AF had no issue locking on. Quite remarkably an f4 lens didn’t seem to worry it either.

Metering was pretty much as I expected from the camera in low light. It was always consistent on the EOS 5D MKIII and that trend continues with the MKIV. I would say it's probably a little more accurate in terms of extreme lighting than the previous model, but low light metering on a wedding is a dark art and I automatically compensate for various lighting situations anyway. I just need the metering to be consistent, which it is.

Just a quick mention about the viewfinder. I know there is a lot of interest in mirrorless cameras and EVF at the moment, but in my experience when you have pulsing lights on a dim dance floor and people dancing as though their lives are depending on it - you really need a good optical viewfinder and this one is excellent. Coupled with a 35mm f1.4 L MKII the image in the viewfinder is crisp and clear - almost 3D in quality.

AUTOFOCUS

Following on from my previous comments. Away from the pitfalls of a low light environment, we always judge the AF on how many times it fails to focus correctly. In this case I don’t recall any problems with focus (other than photographer error) over 2000+ images and two bodies. The AF is very fast and it works very, very well. With the increase in resolution any focusing issues would be shown up and a poor AF unit wouldn’t last very long. I’m really pleased to say that when we were looking at the images from the camera on a MacBook Pro 15” Retina screen, we were blown away with how sharp the images looked. The cameras weren’t calibrated to the lenses either; something I would always insist on with the older 5 series. We didn’t use the AI Servo mode so I can’t comment on that.

One word of caution. To get the very best out of this camera, you may need to think about upgrading lenses if, like me, you still have some 15 year old models hanging around!! With modern lenses, this thing is a joy to use. I shot with a 24-105 f4L MKII, 35mm f1.4L MKII, 8-15 f4L Fisheye, 85mm f1.8. Sarah used the 35mm f2 IS, the 28mm f2.8 IS, and the 135 f2L. All worked perfectly with the camera.

CONCLUSION

Ok - so if you’ve got this far you will realise that I’m pretty happy with this camera. Is it worth the upgrade from the old version? Well I guess that depends on what you subjects you shoot. The EOS 5D MKIII is a stunningly good camera and does everything very well. But for weddings and in particular the documentary style, which is my area of expertise, the EOS 5D MKIV takes everything up a notch or two and allows me to take pictures which sometimes the old camera wouldn’t quite manage - especially in low light. If you are someone who works a lot with black and white, you may also find this camera gives you something you may not have seen before from a DSLR in terms of IQ.

Owning this camera in itself won’t make you an amazing photographer, but it will allow you to express yourself like never before and without compromise. It’s an absolute beauty.

I have stopped reading about the 5d4 too due to people moaning and have it on pre order

Canon 5dmkIII | Canon 85L 1.2 | Sigma 35mm ART 1.4|Canon 16-35mm L 2.8 |Canon 24-70mm L f2.8 | Canon 70-200mm F2.8L MK2 | Canon 430EX MK2 Flickr (external link)

MatthewK
Goldmember
4,255 posts
Gallery: 800 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Apr 2009
Post edited over 3 years ago by MatthewK.

Aug 29, 2016 05:58 as a reply to  @ post 18109257 |  #500

That's cool, now you know you'll have the best IQ for anything that comes your way! *high five*

Canon/Nikon/Fuji

MatthewK
Goldmember
4,255 posts
Gallery: 800 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Apr 2009

Aug 29, 2016 05:59 |  #501

It was refreshing after a weekend of not reading anything about the new camera!

Shot a session on Friday (indoor crossfit/gym, terrible lighting) using the 80D, and while it's a superb performer, I really missed the sure-footedness of the 5D3's AF and the wider angle the FF offers. Simply cannot wait for this new camera to arrive; the Ascough review really has me excited about the AF capabilities and low light performance, which would have been perfect this past weekend. Sept 8th can't arrive soon enough!

Canon/Nikon/Fuji

Talley
Talley Whacker
11,087 posts
Gallery: 46 photos
Joined Dec 2011

Aug 29, 2016 06:54 |  #502

krikricricri wrote in post #18109876 (external link)
Enjoy !!!

Raws and Jpegs

https://www.dpreview.c​om …eal-world-samples-gallery (external link)

Thanks for the heads up. Until I can get one in my hands and have adobe updated to process the raws then I can only speculate as to it's performance. That will be the sucky thing for me... I've never had a camera that wasn't compatible with the available softwares. The struggle of being an early adopter.

A7rIII | A7III | 12-24 F4 | 16-35 GM | 28-75 2.8 | 100-400 GM | 12mm 2.8 Fisheye | 35mm 2.8 | 85mm 1.8 | 35A | 85A | 200mm L F2 IS | MC-11
My Gear Archive

Talley
Talley Whacker
11,087 posts
Gallery: 46 photos
Joined Dec 2011

Aug 29, 2016 06:56 |  #503

MatthewK wrote in post #18109978 (external link)
It was refreshing after a weekend of not reading anything about the new camera!

Shot a session on Friday (indoor crossfit/gym, terrible lighting) using the 80D, and while it's a superb performer, I really missed the sure-footedness of the 5D3's AF and the wider angle the FF offers. Simply cannot wait for this new camera to arrive; the Ascough review really has me excited about the AF capabilities and low light performance, which would have been perfect this past weekend. Sept 8th can't arrive soon enough!

Yeah I'm rocking the wifes 80D until I get my 5D4 and the 24-70 just feels completely awkward on that camera. My biggest love of FF is having native glass.

A7rIII | A7III | 12-24 F4 | 16-35 GM | 28-75 2.8 | 100-400 GM | 12mm 2.8 Fisheye | 35mm 2.8 | 85mm 1.8 | 35A | 85A | 200mm L F2 IS | MC-11
My Gear Archive

AltgnJoey
885 posts
Joined Sep 2011

Aug 29, 2016 07:08 as a reply to  @ Talley's post |  #504

When do you guys think Adobe will have their products ready?

https://500px.com/jose​ph-kurtz (external link)
www.josephkurtzphotogr​aphy.com (external link)

SuzyView
Cream of the Crop
32,092 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Oct 2005

Aug 29, 2016 07:43 |  #505

It will be a plug in or something like that until the new versions of RAW are included. Canon wants us to use the software it comes with. I tried that last time. It was okay, but I'm so used to my PS, it's hard to stick with it. I'm still looking for a good tutorial but I think I will have to rely on youtube videos for now. There is so much to learn.

Suzie - Still Speaking Canonese!
5DIV, SONY a7iii, 7D2, G12, M100, M50, 5 L's & 2 Primes, 25 bags.
My children and grandchildren are the reason, but it's the passion that drives me to get the perfect image of everything.

SuzyView
Cream of the Crop
32,092 posts
Joined Oct 2005

Aug 29, 2016 08:26 |  #506

I am also excited about getting the 24-70 II. I'm probably going to sell my 24-70 I. With the 5DIV and the 24-70 II, I am thinking I won't need my tripod as much since I like to have the camera in my hands. I am also short, so when I do group portraits, I tend to have a little stool and trying to set a tripod is tough. I'd rather just hold the camera. I attach the camera to a bracket with the flash on the bracket just in case I need it, bouncing off the ceiling as much as possible, but I hate this. I'd rather do more moving around the room and shooting candids or doing formal shots without the tripod. I think this new combo will do it for me. I may save for the new 16-35 sometime, but I don't need a lens that wide, the distortion on the sides makes it not flattering for portraits. For landscapes, I just would love it! I am a shooter with the FF camera with the 24-70 2.8, and the 7D2 with 70-200 2.8 IS II at an event with no flash, unless the room has terrible lighting. But I've been doing some off camera flash with stands on the edges of the room. That works well, but scares people.

My children and grandchildren are the reason, but it's the passion that drives me to get the perfect image of everything.

AltgnJoey
885 posts
Joined Sep 2011

Aug 29, 2016 08:53 as a reply to  @ SuzyView's post |  #507

I've decided that a wide is a must buy for me, every wedding I've just been renting the 16-35, but I seriously need to upgrade my pc next. So renting the 16-35 will have to do for a little while longer.

I also have been noticing lately my 135l is clutching the key shots over my 70-200isii. Ugh. I could always sell the 70-200 but I love that lens for outdoor me time photos.

https://500px.com/jose​ph-kurtz (external link)
www.josephkurtzphotogr​aphy.com (external link)

umphotography
grabbing their Johnson
10,929 posts
Gallery: 19 photos
Joined Oct 2007

Aug 29, 2016 08:55 |  #508

SuzyView wrote in post #18110072 (external link)
I am also excited about getting the 24-70 II. I'm probably going to sell my 24-70 I. With the 5DIV and the 24-70 II, I am thinking I won't need my tripod as much since I like to have the camera in my hands. I am also short, so when I do group portraits, I tend to have a little stool and trying to set a tripod is tough. I'd rather just hold the camera. I attach the camera to a bracket with the flash on the bracket just in case I need it, bouncing off the ceiling as much as possible, but I hate this. I'd rather do more moving around the room and shooting candids or doing formal shots without the tripod. I think this new combo will do it for me. I may save for the new 16-35 sometime, but I don't need a lens that wide, the distortion on the sides makes it not flattering for portraits. For landscapes, I just would love it! I am a shooter with the FF camera with the 24-70 2.8, and the 7D2 with 70-200 2.8 IS II at an event with no flash, unless the room has terrible lighting. But I've been doing some off camera flash with stands on the edges of the room. That works well, but scares people.

With what you describe, I think you are better served with the new 24-105 because of the IS capabilities on the lens. I also refuse to use a tripod unless im doing long exposure photography. To cumbersome.

The 24-70 is only a stop. Your 5D4is going to be usable at 12800 ISO and probably 25000 in a pinch...F4 glass means you can get shutter speeds up with this new sensor. I would buy a prime for shallow DOF needs and get F/4 zooms and save the $$$$......2-3 in a shot and your going to be at F/3.5 anyway to keep them all sharp even on the same plane.

Im using F4 zooms for zoom needs and my version 1 fast primes for everything else...Nothing I cant take or create.

Canon has killed it with the new sensors. Great upgrades for Canon shooters

Bout Dam time  :p:love::love::-P

Mike
www.umphotography.com (external link)
GEAR LIST
Facebook (external link)

umphotography
grabbing their Johnson
10,929 posts
Gallery: 19 photos
Joined Oct 2007

Aug 29, 2016 08:58 |  #509

From DP Review

32000 ISO....yes you read that right.....32000 ISO

wowzers that is amazing

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

Mike
www.umphotography.com (external link)
GEAR LIST
Facebook (external link)

SuzyView
Cream of the Crop
32,092 posts
Joined Oct 2005

Aug 29, 2016 09:12 |  #510

I find I shoot in f2.8 a lot, so often, I can't go f4. But I am going to sell my not used much lenses, which includes a 70-200 2.8 IS VI, 100-400 and maybe my 24-70 I. The 24-70 is not a lens an amateur would love because of the weight, but I really am used to it.

sponsored links

821,489 views & 2,668 likes for this thread
Canon 5D Mark IV -- Time to Discuss!
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.