Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
Thread started 26 Aug 2016 (Friday) 09:24
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Almost got kicked out of the Museum !

this thread is locked
Pagman
I just hold the thing :-)
9,279 posts
Gallery: 2150 photos
Joined Dec 2011

Aug 29, 2016 19:09 |  #136

Conspiracy theories are just an alternative narrative to the main stream ideas, some folk dont sit confortably with main stream ideas sometimes, and look for other explanations that go outside the box, sometimes an alternative is hard for folk to prove because some things can seem so out landish that its difficult to get folk to investigate things fully.
Sometimes it could be that it would be just to embarrassing or unconfortable or un belived, if another outcome was proved to be correct.

Example - I know the moon landings happened but what if it was a hoax by nasa to cover up an embarrassing flop, and say the Apollo flights and later ones just orbitted around the earth then came back, I know this is not true - but I added it just to give a possible reason why an alternative theory is not entertained.

Just theorizing folks (If I have spelt that right)?:-)

P.

Some stuff.

sponsored links
Chet
my rates fluctuate
43,254 posts
Gallery: 130 photos
Joined Sep 2007

Aug 29, 2016 19:12 |  #137

Pagman wrote in post #18110741 (external link)
Example - I know the moon landings happened but what if it was a hoax by nasa to cover up an embarrassing flop, and say the Apollo flights and later ones just orbitted around the earth then came back, I know this is not true - but I added it just to give a possible reason why an alternative theory is not entertained.

P.

I'm inline with hoax on the moon landing.

Curator of the Bob's Pickle Emporium experience. -As always, One location to serve you better!
~Feel good today and donate to this great forum~ LINK
My Gear List

DreDaze
happy with myself for not saying anything stupid
18,230 posts
Gallery: 45 photos
Joined Mar 2006

Aug 29, 2016 19:16 |  #138

Chet wrote in post #18110746 (external link)
I'm inline with hoax on the moon landing.

they sure went all out on the fake photos....
https://www.flickr.com …ojectapolloarch​ive/albums (external link)

Andre or Dre
gear list
Instagram (external link)
flickr (external link)

Chet
my rates fluctuate
43,254 posts
Gallery: 130 photos
Joined Sep 2007

Aug 29, 2016 19:20 |  #139

DreDaze wrote in post #18110753 (external link)
they sure went all out on the fake photos....
https://www.flickr.com …ojectapolloarch​ive/albums (external link)

I knew a guy at work whose father in laws neighbor used the same set from the moon landing shots for "save the date" photo's.

Curator of the Bob's Pickle Emporium experience. -As always, One location to serve you better!
~Feel good today and donate to this great forum~ LINK
My Gear List

banquetbear
Goldmember
1,600 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Apr 2010

Aug 29, 2016 19:21 |  #140

WaltA wrote in post #18110733 (external link)
Thanks for posting your quote. I think I got the point.

So, whats your definition of an "authority"?

Someone who has studied a subject for years and produced a number of best selling books.
Or someone who agrees with your opinions?

I'm not saying Graham Hancock has all the answers. I've read all of his books.
But what gives you the right to question his "authority".

There are many "authoritative sources" saying that there are many things we don't know about the past.
There are as many "authoritative sources" that debunk them.

And is "unconventional" a bad word? Would you prefer to stick to "conventional"?
And ride along with the masses?

Take your pick who your expert is.

...unconventional is a great word in regards to photography. I am often unconventional. I don't follow all the rules.

But unconventional isn't great when it comes to science. Because in science consensus matters. Peer review matters. Evidence matters. Unconventional thinking can be extremely helpful in developing new theories or hypothesis. But once we have a new theory we then get an opportunity to test and examine it.

And this is where things fall apart. You've cited a website that claims giant bones were discovered in 1912. We can actually test this claim. We can examine these bones and see if they are actually the bones of giants. Except we can't: because these bones don't appear to exist. It doesn't matter how long someone has studied a subject for it doesn't matter how many best selling books he's sold if when we ask him for the evidence he can't deliver.

What gives me the right to question his authority? That would be the NZ Bill of Rights, which allows me the freedom of expression.

www.bigmark.co.nzexternal link

OhLook
you get what you get
19,336 posts
Gallery: 74 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Dec 2012

Aug 29, 2016 19:38 |  #141

Graham Hancock? I had to look him up. From Wikipedia (emphasis added):

Hancock gave a TEDx lecture titled “The War on Consciousness”, in which he outlined a case for the use of ayahuasca, an amazonian tea containing an hallucinogenic and illegal compound DMT. While making clear that drinking ayahuasca may often be a physical ordeal, and that he did not approve of its use for casual recreation, he said that it may be essential for self-improvement, spiritual growth and social progress, as well as for curing drug addiction. He revealed that until relatively recently he had maintained a 24-year-long daily cannabis habit during which he was “stoned for 16 hours a day”, and had suffered from rages and paranoia as a result. Hancock said he had been successfully cured by an experience with ayahuasca in South America, during which he experienced an arduous life-review by the Amerind spirit “Mother Ayahuasca”.

And this guy is an authority on reality?

:lol::lol::lol:

PRONOUN ADVISORY: OhLook is a she. | A FEW CORRECT SPELLINGS: lens, aperture, amateur, hobbyist, per se, raccoon, whoa, more so (2 wds.), shoo-in | Comments welcome

Pagman
9,279 posts
Joined Dec 2011

Aug 29, 2016 19:39 |  #142

How about Bigfoot-Yeti etc, urban myth or more to it?

P.

Some stuff.

Tedder
378 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Aug 29, 2016 19:58 |  #143

OhLook wrote in post #18110738 (external link)
Don't fall off.

That's sound advice both for those at an abyss and those on a high horse.

Tedder Stephenson's Flickr (external link)
Various Items (external link) Mineral Matters (external link) The Bench (external link) Tracks (external link) Cars and Stripes (external link) Behind the Wheel (external link) Shadows of Turning (external link) Circles of Confusion (external link) Waterous Disturbulations (external link)

Pagman
9,279 posts
Joined Dec 2011

Aug 29, 2016 20:15 |  #144

I asked the other day if the Abonimable Snowman was ready to be seen and I was told - not Yeti;-)a

P.

Some stuff.

WaltA
Goldmember
3,866 posts
Gallery: 10 photos
Joined Feb 2006

Aug 29, 2016 22:48 |  #145

OhLook wrote in post #18110738 (external link)
Don't fall off.

Well, I've lived my life on the edge.

Maybe not physically, but technically and

I keep open to "unconventional" ideas. In my field (the Aerospace Industry) unconventional is what takes you to the next level.

So the edge is where I live.

Walt
400D, 5D, 7D and a bag of stuff

WaltA
Goldmember
3,866 posts
Joined Feb 2006
Post edited over 3 years ago by WaltA.

Aug 29, 2016 22:52 |  #146

OhLook wrote in post #18110731 (external link)
Part of your post violates a major POTN rule. I didn't quote that part.

Please try to take in, seriously, what banquetbear says about the burden of proof. You know how it applies in criminal cases, I'm sure. A person is presumed not to have done something until the state proves that he or she did it. A defendant doesn't have to prove that there's nothing there. The state has to prove that there is something there. The same goes for assertions that a thing exists or once existed.

André the Giant was also an actor. He was in The Princess Bride.

I admit to a bias in favor of people with good writing skills, but a charge of elitism isn't fair. Ability to communicate clearly is related to ability to think clearly. (Education, ideally, helps to develop both abilities.) Clear thinking is essential in deciding what to believe. I don't know which arguers here have English as a first language. It does seem to me that having read enough about the Loch Ness monster to remember the spelling would go with bringing up the creature as an example; of course, not everyone has a visual memory for words that functions the same way.

This is what I was really about: pointing out the correct spelling might save some readers from perpetuating the wrong spelling just because they saw it here and thought it must be right.

What?

That's insane.

Many people who think clearly (in their own language) may not be able to communicate well to you.

Does that make them disabled?

Besides, some things are not spelled the same in languages other than English.

So you should really widen your focus to be able to accept input from other than English Lit graduates.

Walt

WaltA
Goldmember
3,866 posts
Joined Feb 2006
Post edited over 3 years ago by WaltA.

Aug 29, 2016 23:00 as a reply to  @ OhLook's post |  #147

He's an authority on things I am not an expert on.

Therefore worth listening to.

To make your own adult decisions.

Look, if you don't investigate at all sides of the theory you leave your self open to not seeing the full picture. Whats wrong with listening to "alternative/unconvent​ional theories" so that you can make a conscious decision about your position?

So maybe there were giants. Would it hurt to have an open mind? And search for answers without knowing the conclusions beforehand?

Sorry for my obstinate attitude. I have trouble with closed minds that walk forward knowing everything in advance.

I love the future with its mysteries yet to be discovered. And I'm open to all ideas.

Walt

banquetbear
Goldmember
1,600 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Apr 2010

Aug 29, 2016 23:41 |  #148

WaltA wrote in post #18110959 (external link)
He's an authority on things I am not an expert on.

Therefore worth listening to.

To make your own adult decisions.

Look, if you don't investigate at all sides of the theory you leave your self open to not seeing the full picture. Whats wrong with listening to "alternative/unconvent​ional theories" so that you can make a conscious decision about your position?

So maybe there were giants. Would it hurt to have an open mind? And search for answers without knowing the conclusions beforehand?

Sorry for my obstinate attitude. I have trouble with closed minds that walk forward knowing everything in advance.

I love the future with its mysteries yet to be discovered. And I'm open to all ideas.

...you make the mistake of thinking I'm close-minded when I'm not. You make the mistake of thinking I don't investigate all sides of a theory and you make the mistake of thinking I can't see the whole picture.

I'm a skeptic. Investigating "the other side" of the theory is what I do. And it is exactly what I did here. You provided a cite that claimed that 18 giants had been found in Wisconsin.

So I went to your link. With an open mind. I read the link. I wanted to find out more about the giants. I checked the primary sources listed at the bottom of the page then checked to see what other information I could find about the bones.

And I found a lot of stories. But oddly enough, as pointed out by your cite, there are no bones. The Princess of Aztalan is on display at the Aztalan State Park but the bones are all normal sized.

I went through the same process with the OP. I read the links and visited the primary sources and I did my own research.

Do you know why I'm comfortably declaring that "Giants didn't once roam the earth?" Its because I've followed the evidence that you and the OP have supplied, I've done a decent amount of investigation into them, and I've come up with nothing. I would absolutely love for giants to be real, for ghosts to exist, and for UFO's to be mainly extra-terrestrial in origin...do you know why? Because THAT WOULD BE AWESOME.

But that simply isn't what the evidence suggests. I've said several times in this thread you can listen to whatever alternative/unconventi​onal theories you want to listen to, and I will defend your right to believe whatever you want to believe. But I ask that you extend me that same courtesy. I've probably done more research into giants over the last 24 hours than anyone else in this thread: so please do not accuse me of not listening to all sides of a theory.

www.bigmark.co.nzexternal link

OhLook
you get what you get
19,336 posts
Gallery: 74 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Dec 2012

Aug 30, 2016 00:20 |  #149

WaltA wrote in post #18110952 (external link)
OhLook wrote in post #18110731 (external link)
Ability to communicate clearly is related to ability to think clearly.

What?

That's insane.

No, it's true. Correlation of 0.55 between reasoning ability and verbal ability (Thurstone's research). (external link)This correlation is high enough to be meaningful. The practical application here is that a person who presents a clear and coherent account of a belief is more likely to have arrived at that belief by sound reasoning.

Many people who think clearly (in their own language) may not be able to communicate well to you.

Does that make them disabled?

Besides, some things are not spelled the same in languages other than English.

So you should really widen your focus to be able to accept input from other than English Lit graduates.

What I get from these comments is that you don't like me and you're angry. As far as I can tell, no one's native language has been an issue in this thread, nor has being disabled.

Agreed, things aren't spelled the same in other languages than in English. Indeed, the words for most things in other languages aren't the English words at all. Instead, they're the words in those other languages. But the Scottish loch doesn't mean "lock." It means "lake."

I listen to input from graduates and nongraduates in any field, but I reserve the right to use critical thinking on it.

PRONOUN ADVISORY: OhLook is a she. | A FEW CORRECT SPELLINGS: lens, aperture, amateur, hobbyist, per se, raccoon, whoa, more so (2 wds.), shoo-in | Comments welcome

Eiro
Goldmember
1,356 posts
Joined Dec 2009

Aug 30, 2016 04:01 |  #150

Remember that movie where they brought back some rock from Space and it had some bacteria that spread and infected some woman that went on through some kind of a extra terrestrial transformation and gave birth to some alien child that grew to full maturity in a matter of weeks and then went to look for a mate and killed everyone in the process.

Was it Species ? Based on a true story ?

Get out and shoot

sponsored links

19,152 views & 74 likes for this thread
Almost got kicked out of the Museum !
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.