Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Architecture, Real-Estate & Buildings 
Thread started 15 Jul 2010 (Thursday) 14:37
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

A thread for real estate, architectural, and interior design photography

LoneRider
Goldmember
1,621 posts
Gallery: 216 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2010
Post edited over 2 years ago by LoneRider.

Aug 29, 2016 05:43 |  #8431

Looks like I am pretty much in line with others.

$145 is my base for houses up to about 3000 sq. ft. Additional charges for travel over 50 mile round trip, larger houses, outbuildings, or aerials.

As to licensing, I don't even bother. I shoot middle class real estate, not art, not display pieces. I provide 2400x1800 shots for any use the agent chooses. Multiple listing, brochures, etc. essentially it is a unspoken, unlimited license.

I am not interested in the headache of trying to keep track of who else might be using the photos, and as another mentioned, trying to get into legalese of licensing is going to put off some agents and complicate what is for me a pretty simple process. We meet, they give me money, I send them a link to the photos a few hours later. All done until the next time.

Admittedly, this is a side gig for me. If it was my bread and butter if it was my full-time profession or I was doing higher end properties I might do things differently. For now though,this seems to work.

Wayne...
~I don't suffer from gear ADD, I embrace and enjoy it...~
GEAR LIST

sponsored links
ptcanon3ti
Cream of the Crop
8,060 posts
Gallery: 377 photos
Best ofs: 5
Joined Sep 2012

Aug 29, 2016 09:11 |  #8432

Do you guys do any staging of the house? I notice in a lot of common real estate shots there is a lot of clutter in the photos.
Do your clients clean and move furniture before you get there to shoot?

Paul
https://www.flickr.com​/photos/petshots/ (external link)
Body - Nikon D750
Lenses - Nikon 20 f1.8 / Nikon 16-35 f4 / Sigma 105 OS Macro / Sigma 24-105 f4 Art / Tamron 70-200 2.8 Di VC / Sigma 150-600 "S"

rgs
Goldmember
2,287 posts
Gallery: 142 photos
Joined Jun 2007

Aug 29, 2016 13:30 |  #8433

ptcanon3ti wrote in post #18110106 (external link)
Do you guys do any staging of the house? I notice in a lot of common real estate shots there is a lot of clutter in the photos.

Some are staged, some still have the owners furniture, and some are empty. I really have no preference - except empty rooms are not as interesting but usually easier to light. I think there is often a fine line between clutter and evidence of life. I do not mind a place looking like someone lives there but I do mind clutter - and I'm sure the definition of each is different from person to person. But, if the client doesn't like it - I try not to shoot it. I have sometimes been right behind as the client and the homeowner straighten up but, usually, everything is pretty well prepared.

One important point. Watch out for smudges and fingerprints of shiny surfaces such as stainless appliances and glossy pianos or other furniture. They may not be obvious on site but will shout out from a photograph.

Canon 7d MkII, Canon 50D, Pentax 67, Canon 30D, Baker Custom 4x5, Canon EF 24-104mm f4, Canon EF 100mm f2.8 Macro, Canon EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5, 70-300mm f/4-5.6 Di VC

The Singular Image (external link)Richard Smith Photography (external link)
Richard Smith Real Estate Photography (external link)500PX (external link)
Fine Art America (external link)

joooowan
698 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Jan 2009
Post edited over 2 years ago by joooowan. (2 edits in all)

Aug 29, 2016 17:27 |  #8434

ptcanon3ti wrote in post #18110106 (external link)

I'm up for doing a little staging either alone or with the help of the agent/home owner, moving and arranging pillows, maybe moving some chairs and simple furniture around, nothing major, if I show up and the house is filthy I'm just going to shoot it as is. I always send out a notice around the time they confirm a time-slot with me to ensure that they know to clean and de-clutter the house.

CC welcome.

njstacker22
703 posts
Gallery: 10 photos
Joined Mar 2014

Aug 30, 2016 09:22 |  #8435

I'll move garbage buckets, fluff some pillows here and there but I'm definitely not moving furniture around.

Sony A7ii [Sony FE 16-35mm f/4] [Sony FE 28-70mm] [Rokinon 135mm F2] [Sony 50mm 1.8]
https://www.flickr.com​/photos/djbigley/ (external link)

joooowan
698 posts
Joined Jan 2009
Post edited over 2 years ago by joooowan.

Aug 30, 2016 11:54 |  #8436

Hey guys. So I have my first actual "Commercial" shoot tomorrow. It's a pop-up Snus store set up with coffee machines and work tables like a Starbucks on a busy street. They've forwarded me over the shot list and there are a few things in there that's new to me. Signage, product arrangement shots, shots with people using the coffee tables. The ones that concern me are the ones with people sitting at the coffee tables, and leaning on some signs.. etc. How should I think about lighting? I'll appreciate any tips I can get.

CC welcome.

Alveric
Goldmember
4,590 posts
Gallery: 38 photos
Joined Jan 2011

Aug 30, 2016 12:57 as a reply to  @ joooowan's post |  #8437

Time of day?
Orientation of the building with respect to the sun?
Number of people/models?
Your lighting equipment?
Number of shots?
Angles?
Have you done a recce already?

'The success of the second-rate is deplorable in itself; but it is more deplorable in that it very often obscures the genuine masterpiece. If the crowd runs after the false, it must neglect the true.' —Arthur Machen
Why 'The Histogram' Sux (external link)

Dan ­ Marchant
Do people actually believe in the Title Fairy?
5,141 posts
Gallery: 19 photos
Joined Oct 2011
Location: Where I'm from is unimportant, it's where I'm going that counts.

Aug 30, 2016 13:48 |  #8438

joooowan wrote in post #18111399 (external link)
The ones that concern me are the ones with people sitting at the coffee tables, and leaning on some signs.. etc. How should I think about lighting?

Are these people paid models or members of the public. Do you/the company have the necessary model releases?

Dan Marchant
Website/blog: danmarchant.com (external link)
Instagram: @dan_marchant (external link)
Gear Canon 5DIII + Fuji X-T2 + lenses + a plastic widget I found in the camera box.

amairphoto
Cream of the Crop
6,786 posts
Gallery: 42 photos
Best ofs: 3
Joined Aug 2007
Post edited over 2 years ago by amairphoto.

Aug 30, 2016 13:50 |  #8439

I have to be honest if it were your first commercial shoot you shoudnt really have any questions or need advice. Maybe you shouldnt have taken the job if you didnt feel comfortable

My Website: http://www.amairphoto.​com (external link)
flickr (external link)

Alveric
Goldmember
4,590 posts
Gallery: 38 photos
Joined Jan 2011

Aug 30, 2016 14:10 as a reply to  @ amairphoto's post |  #8440

Well, he has to begin somewhere and sometime. I wasn't confortable at all the first time I jumped into the deep pool.

'The success of the second-rate is deplorable in itself; but it is more deplorable in that it very often obscures the genuine masterpiece. If the crowd runs after the false, it must neglect the true.' —Arthur Machen
Why 'The Histogram' Sux (external link)

amairphoto
Cream of the Crop
6,786 posts
Gallery: 42 photos
Best ofs: 3
Joined Aug 2007

Aug 30, 2016 14:11 |  #8441

That is true, but isnt that where you practice first on non paying clients?

My Website: http://www.amairphoto.​com (external link)
flickr (external link)

joooowan
698 posts
Joined Jan 2009
Post edited over 2 years ago by joooowan. (2 edits in all)

Aug 30, 2016 14:50 as a reply to  @ Alveric's post |  #8442

I'm charging a very little amount and actually quite surprised that they picked me out of all the quotes they could've gotten. I'm not so concerned with the licensing and usage at this point as far as I'm concerned for this project they're welcome to use the photos however they please. I asked if they're planning on using these shots for websites & advertising and from what they tell me it'll be mostly used for internal purposes and maybe on some media blasts, press releases.

it's going to be a new location for this store

http://snus.swedishmat​ch.com/sv/varabutiker/​stromstad/ (external link)

Time of day? : 1-4pm
Orientation of the building with respect to the sun? : front of building faces southwest, 1pm the sun will be sitting almost directly on top of the building. As the afternoon goes on the sun will hit more and more of the front.

https://www.google.com …33.9907044!4d-118.4655091 (external link)

Number of people/models? : 2, they are being put there by the client.
Your lighting equipment? : I can bring with me.. 2 Rovelights, 2 shoot through umbrellas, 3 YN600-RT speedlights, Gels for the speedlights, gary fong diffusers
Number of shots? 25-30ish
Angles? : Exteriors (The building and it's position relative to neighbor shops on the blvd) Interiors : In store signage & decor, table area, there will be a shot where 2 people will be sitting at the table, and a shot or 2 that will include people leaning on signage.
Have you done a recce already?: no

CC welcome.

Scott ­ Spellman
203 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Oct 2015

Aug 30, 2016 14:54 |  #8443

joooowan wrote in post #18111399 (external link)
Hey guys. So I have my first actual "Commercial" shoot tomorrow. It's a pop-up Snus store set up with coffee machines and work tables like a Starbucks on a busy street. They've forwarded me over the shot list and there are a few things in there that's new to me. Signage, product arrangement shots, shots with people using the coffee tables. The ones that concern me are the ones with people sitting at the coffee tables, and leaning on some signs.. etc. How should I think about lighting? I'll appreciate any tips I can get.

I would not start a commercial shoot without specific agreement on the style and composition of the photos. This goes far beyond a "tip". There are many different styles of photos and they dictate the lighting-not the other way around. I would make sure you have sample photos that match the requirements of the client so you will know what gear, time of day, composition, and lighting you will need to get it right. If you are shooting the store shots with natural light, you will probably shoot the people shots with natural light to match. Before the shoot, I would do test shots with the ambient light at the location to determine if you need additional reflectors, scrims, or strobe lights to get it right.

Make sure your client is all set with models, model releases, and permits. I recommend shooting tethered for all commercial shoots to maximize client involvement and satisfaction. Good luck!!

joooowan
698 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Aug 30, 2016 22:17 |  #8444

Scott Spellman wrote in post #18111568 (external link)
I would not start a commercial shoot without specific agreement on the style and composition of the photos. This goes far beyond a "tip". There are many different styles of photos and they dictate the lighting-not the other way around. I would make sure you have sample photos that match the requirements of the client so you will know what gear, time of day, composition, and lighting you will need to get it right. If you are shooting the store shots with natural light, you will probably shoot the people shots with natural light to match. Before the shoot, I would do test shots with the ambient light at the location to determine if you need additional reflectors, scrims, or strobe lights to get it right.

Make sure your client is all set with models, model releases, and permits. I recommend shooting tethered for all commercial shoots to maximize client involvement and satisfaction. Good luck!!

Thank you. The models are being put there by the client, I will be shooting with a camranger + my full size ipad & and having the client along side most of the time. I plan on shooting with mostly ambient light (since it will be smack dab in the middle of the afternoon). So I will be bracketing for the ambient and using the rovelight & or speedlites to accentuate parts of the interior & products. As for the people, I'll probably bracket and get a good shot of the scene without the people first, then take shots with people in it using the gary fong or shoot through umbrella, and blending it together in photoshop.

CC welcome.

ptcanon3ti
Cream of the Crop
8,060 posts
Gallery: 377 photos
Best ofs: 5
Joined Sep 2012

Aug 31, 2016 14:46 |  #8445

What lenses do you fellas us indoors. Wide angle is a must, aperture doesn't have to be super fast, but HAS to be sharp AND distortion needs to be low. Any thoughts?

Paul
https://www.flickr.com​/photos/petshots/ (external link)
Body - Nikon D750
Lenses - Nikon 20 f1.8 / Nikon 16-35 f4 / Sigma 105 OS Macro / Sigma 24-105 f4 Art / Tamron 70-200 2.8 Di VC / Sigma 150-600 "S"

sponsored links

1,514,550 views & 1,559 likes for this thread
A thread for real estate, architectural, and interior design photography
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Architecture, Real-Estate & Buildings 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.