Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Sony Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Sony Cameras 
Thread started 27 May 2015 (Wednesday) 18:49
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Sony A7x lounge

genesimmons
Goldmember
1,948 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Aug 2013

Sep 03, 2016 19:04 |  #23221

Puckman wrote in post #18115854 (external link)
I have 2 different pics with very slight differences. Looking for feedback.

Option 1:

QUOTED IMAGE
IMAGE LINK: https://flic.kr/p/Lpsx​6L  (external link) 20160820-DSC05332-Edit-4.jpg (external link) by Puckman2012 (external link), on Flickr

Option 2:

QUOTED IMAGE
IMAGE LINK: https://flic.kr/p/Lpsw​Cb  (external link) 20160820-DSC05325-Edit.jpg (external link) by Puckman2012 (external link), on Flickr

My pros and cons list:
- #1 has more reflections in it (more water). Blue, pink, purple and red.
- #2 has a smaller surface of water so less reflections.

#1 The lifeguard station is cut off.
#2 Lifeguard station fully visible.

#1 The sign in the center of the wheel is turned off.
#2 The sign is on.

#1 The wave coming in is a bit at an odd angle (less pleasing in my mind).
#2 Longer exposure, so the wave is more smoothed out. This also allows for more reflection on the lefthandside.

There are some other minor differences, but these are the things I'm struggling with.

Feel free to critique, throw in your 2 cents, or tell me which one you like best.

Again, this is going into a 40x20 metal print.

i like version 1 mostly because of the reflections are more prominent but i like how u pulled shadows a bit from 2, i prefer the composition of 1 but the shadows of2, pull some shadows from 1 would be awesome

OLYMPUS EM1 M2. 12-100 F4 PRO.75mm f1.8,fisheye f1.8 pro. SONY A7 various manual lenses. FUJI X100
https://www.flickr.com​/photos/100085318@N08/ (external link)

sponsored links
genesimmons
Goldmember
1,948 posts
Joined Aug 2013

Sep 03, 2016 19:11 |  #23222

OoDee wrote in post #18115870 (external link)
Okay. Let me be clear about one thing. I do agree that there are some incredibly talented photographers in this thread, and equally, some great personalities. If not, I wouldn't still be following this thread.

But I wasn't trying to say that everyone is better at the 5DIII thread. Rather this is something I picked up as I started to pay attention to the two rather active threads. I simply started to the pay attention to the fact that the overall input quality in the 5DIII is better, IN MY OPINION. So, there are some crazy talented guys in this thread but there seem to be more of those in the other one. Vice versa, there's a lot more GAS related to talk in this one, and considerably less in the other one.

It's an opinion, not an insult. Believe it or not, I'm very careful about not insulting individuals.

Anyways, my timezone tells me it's bed time. I'll be curious to see what sort of plot this developed into once I wake up. I'm more than delighted to keep on discussing, either in this thread or in PM if everyone feels that I'm side tracking this thread.

not to stir the pot or cause any more tension thats already here, but if an outsider{non sony user} was to browse this thread i could easily see how one could see that maybe there is some less than "preffesional" type images on here,lots of guys get excited about a lens or something new they got and immediately post quick snaps of the first thing they see and yes for sure they are less than professional or even intermediate perhaps,but thats not so say there isn't pros and some stunning images on here,but like i said if you are non sony user and know what some of the users here are capable of i could see how one would think the 5d thread may be more professional,just my 2 cents

OLYMPUS EM1 M2. 12-100 F4 PRO.75mm f1.8,fisheye f1.8 pro. SONY A7 various manual lenses. FUJI X100

navydoc
Cream of the Crop
12,746 posts
Gallery: 181 photos
Joined Oct 2009

Sep 03, 2016 19:13 |  #23223

Puckman wrote in post #18115854 (external link)
I have 2 different pics with very slight differences. Looking for feedback.

Option 1:

QUOTED IMAGE
IMAGE LINK: https://flic.kr/p/Lpsx​6L  (external link) 20160820-DSC05332-Edit-4.jpg (external link) by Puckman2012 (external link), on Flickr

Option 2:

QUOTED IMAGE
IMAGE LINK: https://flic.kr/p/Lpsw​Cb  (external link) 20160820-DSC05325-Edit.jpg (external link) by Puckman2012 (external link), on Flickr

My pros and cons list:
- #1 has more reflections in it (more water). Blue, pink, purple and red.
- #2 has a smaller surface of water so less reflections.

#1 The lifeguard station is cut off.
#2 Lifeguard station fully visible.

#1 The sign in the center of the wheel is turned off.
#2 The sign is on.

#1 The wave coming in is a bit at an odd angle (less pleasing in my mind).
#2 Longer exposure, so the wave is more smoothed out. This also allows for more reflection on the lefthandside.

There are some other minor differences, but these are the things I'm struggling with.

Feel free to critique, throw in your 2 cents, or tell me which one you like best.

Again, this is going into a 40x20 metal print.

Not that it matters I suppose but both images are still running downhill to the left.

Gene - My Photo Gallery || (external link) My USS Oriskany website (external link) || My Flickr (external link)
Take nothing but photos - leave nothing but footprints - break nothing but silence - kill nothing but time.

mystik610
Cream of the Crop
8,585 posts
Gallery: 32 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Jan 2012

Sep 03, 2016 19:16 |  #23224

University of Houston vs Oklahoma Sooners at half-time

IMAGE: https://c2.staticflickr.com/9/8242/29436600625_ed71ee947c_b.jpg
IMAGE LINK: https://flic.kr/p/LRdg​NZ  (external link) _DSC1947 (external link) by Carlo Alcala (external link), on Flickr

focalpointsphoto.com (external link) - flickr (external link) - Instagram (external link)
α7ʀII - RX1ʀII - α7ʀIII
Zeiss Loxia 21 - Canon 24-70 2.8LII - Sony/Zeiss 35 f1.4 ZA - Sony 50 1.8 - Sony 85GM - Sigma 135 f1.8 ART

Puckman
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
6,311 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Sep 2013
Post edited over 2 years ago by Puckman.

Sep 03, 2016 19:38 |  #23225

navydoc wrote in post #18116028 (external link)
Not that it matters I suppose but both images are still running downhill to the left.

They shouldn't be. Optical illusion?

I am anal about this. I checked and rechecked with different leveling rulers in LR and PS. The horizon is level.

Sony A7RII and a bunch of lenses.

nekrosoft13
Goldmember
4,087 posts
Gallery: 185 photos
Joined Jun 2010

Sep 03, 2016 19:48 |  #23226
bannedPermanent ban

mystik610 wrote in post #18115997 (external link)
If it sounded like I was making a political statement I apologize. That was not my intent. It was more commentary about the general state of the world as this theme of negativity begetting more negativity is everywhere thesee days. Even in camera forums :-)

Something is wrong with the psyche of the world these days. It's probably always been this way but it'd more apparent own more than ever.

It's more apparent now because there are more and more people, and they are being pushed closer and closer together... Not all people play nice together... It's either be like them, think like them or you have to die, this hatred is being tough in their culture from very young and no politically correct bs will fix that.

Gear List

nekrosoft13
Goldmember
4,087 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Sep 03, 2016 19:53 |  #23227
bannedPermanent ban

genesimmons wrote in post #18116006 (external link)
wow thanx so much for the info,jeezus i can't believe u can make a manual lens into a af,sounds just sick,wow,i have a ton and i mean a ton of manual lenses,i would love to af some of them,not all but some for sure,wow so u have this adapter? is tech art still making the canon to e mount adapter? with better build quality now, the old one was supposed to be the best on the market for the original a7 which i have,but the build was crap,cheap buttons,i have tons of minolata lenses i would love to use in af,not sure i would like to stack adapters though,i still can't believe this technology exists

If you want to af manual focus lenses you don't want the ef mount to e mount adapter. You need the techart pro m mount to e mount.

Gear List

navydoc
Cream of the Crop
12,746 posts
Gallery: 181 photos
Joined Oct 2009

Sep 03, 2016 19:58 |  #23228

Puckman wrote in post #18116049 (external link)
They shouldn't be. Optical illusion?

I am anal about this. I checked and rechecked with different leveling rulers in LR and PS. The horizon is level.

I viewed the row of lights on the pier in the center of the frame to determine whether the image was level. The initial frame below shows the original with a guide line showing a slight tilt to the left and the 2nd frame shows the image after I used the "straighten" tool in the crop toolbar to adjust.

Not a big deal but I thought I would mention it.

IMAGE: http://www.ussoriskany.us/images/misc/tilt.gif

Gene - My Photo Gallery || (external link) My USS Oriskany website (external link) || My Flickr (external link)
Take nothing but photos - leave nothing but footprints - break nothing but silence - kill nothing but time.

nekrosoft13
Goldmember
4,087 posts
Joined Jun 2010
Post edited over 2 years ago by nekrosoft13.

Sep 03, 2016 20:11 |  #23229
bannedPermanent ban

genesimmons wrote in post #18116025 (external link)
not to stir the pot or cause any more tension thats already here, but if an outsider{non sony user} was to browse this thread i could easily see how one could see that maybe there is some less than "preffesional" type images on here,lots of guys get excited about a lens or something new they got and immediately post quick snaps of the first thing they see and yes for sure they are less than professional or even intermediate perhaps,but thats not so say there isn't pros and some stunning images on here,but like i said if you are non sony user and know what some of the users here are capable of i could see how one would think the 5d thread may be more professional,just my 2 cents

I had 5diii and same happens on every camera centric threads, not every shot in 5diii is "pro" material. that's not a excuse to go and insult and put down entire community that likes their gear.

Gear List

genesimmons
Goldmember
1,948 posts
Joined Aug 2013

Sep 03, 2016 20:44 |  #23230

nekrosoft13 wrote in post #18116060 (external link)
If you want to af manual focus lenses you don't want the ef mount to e mount adapter. You need the techart pro m mount to e mount.

i know that,i was asking if they still made the original ef to e mount as it worked on the original a7 which i have,the pro m mount won't work on the original a7,

genesimmons
Goldmember
1,948 posts
Joined Aug 2013

Sep 03, 2016 20:47 |  #23231

navydoc wrote in post #18116062 (external link)
I viewed the row of lights on the pier in the center of the frame to determine whether the image was level. The initial frame below shows the original with a guide line showing a slight tilt to the left and the 2nd frame shows the image after I used the "straighten" tool in the crop toolbar to adjust.

[GIFS ARE NOT RENDERED IN QUOTES]

i love how u can show the 2,that script is awesome

davidfarina
Goldmember
3,357 posts
Gallery: 52 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined May 2013
Post edited over 2 years ago by davidfarina.

Sep 03, 2016 20:49 |  #23232

OoDee wrote in post #18115870 (external link)
Okay. Let me be clear about one thing. I do agree that there are some incredibly talented photographers in this thread, and equally, some great personalities. If not, I wouldn't still be following this thread.

But I wasn't trying to say that everyone is better at the 5DIII thread. Rather this is something I picked up as I started to pay attention to the two rather active threads. I simply started to the pay attention to the fact that the overall input quality in the 5DIII is better, IN MY OPINION. So, there are some crazy talented guys in this thread but there seem to be more of those in the other one. Vice versa, there's a lot more GAS related to talk in this one, and considerably less in the other one.

It's an opinion, not an insult. Believe it or not, I'm very careful about not insulting individuals.

Anyways, my timezone tells me it's bed time. I'll be curious to see what sort of plot this developed into once I wake up. I'm more than delighted to keep on discussing, either in this thread or in PM if everyone feels that I'm side tracking this thread.

I think youre side tracking this thread. Before this thread became so big in terms of posters, we were a group out of 10 or so peeps. We talked about gear, posted shots and everything was very friendly. Nadim created this thread and named it "Lounge". To my understanding here can be discussed anything related to camera gear, preferably sony gear. We can post photos, we can talk about physics related to photography and optics, and last but not least about gear.

Since weeks Im seeing that more and more people seem to follow this thread and the more people get in here the more it gets harsh. I think most people dont know that the base group that we were, was a very mature, and polite community.

However, a few people here also post here when they dont find time to shoot, but still want to keep up to date with the photography world and even enjoy other pictures or discussions. I would like to end that topic and please do not judge the quality of the pictures in this thread. You are here like for a few weeks? The community when we started here is here for like 2 years (the thread before this combined) or so so please dont come here to judge the images when you not really now that not everything posted here is intended to be top work.

And just for you, a not professional shot i did during vacations last week :)

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

Sony A7RII | Sony A7S
EF 40 | EF 70-300L | FD 35 Tilt-Shift
FE 16-35 | FE 28 | FE 90
CV 15 4.5 III | CV 40 1.4 MC | Summilux 50 ASPH
Website (external link) | 500px (external link)

genesimmons
Goldmember
1,948 posts
Joined Aug 2013

Sep 03, 2016 20:54 |  #23233

ur right theres no excuse for insults i was simply stating that some on the out side looking in could mistrew the "quick snaps" as not so great images from our cams. I've never actually browsed the other threads on here,mostly this one and the em5 one and some times the critique corner,and of course the glamour nude one { user histerio images are simply sick}

mystik610
Cream of the Crop
8,585 posts
Gallery: 32 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Jan 2012
Post edited over 2 years ago by mystik610.

Sep 03, 2016 21:11 |  #23234

genesimmons wrote in post #18116118 (external link)
ur right theres no excuse for insults i was simply stating that some on the out side looking in could mistrew the "quick snaps" as not so great images from our cams. I've never actually browsed the other threads on here,mostly this one and the em5 one and some times the critique corner,and of course the glamour nude one { user histerio images are simply sick}

You made a good point though, and where other threads are mostly dedicated to people posting their best work, this is a true lounge type thread where we're shooting on a7 cameras, but are not always posting for the sake of showcasing our best work. Sometimes we're testing gear, and sometimes we're simply documenting life and sharing that because that's equally as interesting and relevant in the world of photography, even if its not as technically or creatively sexy.

focalpointsphoto.com (external link) - flickr (external link) - Instagram (external link)
α7ʀII - RX1ʀII - α7ʀIII
Zeiss Loxia 21 - Canon 24-70 2.8LII - Sony/Zeiss 35 f1.4 ZA - Sony 50 1.8 - Sony 85GM - Sigma 135 f1.8 ART

Puckman
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
6,311 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Sep 2013

Sep 03, 2016 21:18 |  #23235

navydoc wrote in post #18116062 (external link)

[GIFS ARE NOT RENDERED IN QUOTES]

You cannot assume the row of lights is actually straight horizontal. That pier is by no means straight. The lights could even be in a line moving to or away from the viewer unless the viewer were perfectly square (90 degrees ) to the pier.

I'm not saying that's the case here. Just that I trend to rely on the horizon line first and foremost. And again, I am rather anal about this. Used different leveling and visual tools (as I do in most of my landscapes).

No big deal really. But thanks for the comparison gif. I gotta learn how to do that. Very handy.

Sony A7RII and a bunch of lenses.

sponsored links

3,805,277 views & 33,336 likes for this thread
Sony A7x lounge
FORUMS Sony Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Sony Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.