I can certainly understand Pros buying since it is a tax write-off. But it is not in my DNA to pay full-price for it right now. Unless of course you have money to burn.
Your theory is flawed. I said the same thing with the 5D3. Waited until it was 2yrs old and purchased a used one w/ 5k clicks for 2600. 2.5yrs later I sold it for 1650. about 380/yr depreciation. Had I bought it new at release for 3500 and still sold it for the same price then 4.5yrs of use and about $410/yr depreciation. In those 2 years I limped by on a 6D that got me a bunch of missed shots due to it's AF that was not up to par for MY NEEDS.
So the way I look at it... I can wait a year or two... or I can buy now... the rough price of depreciation will be the same. In the mean time the 5D3 would only lose a slight value of where I sold it at. Doesn't matter to me... when you break it down to a PER year cost... 380/yr.... 410/yr... whatever your talking pennies compared to the cost of flash equipment, lenses, backdrops... etc.
This is my logic this release. I'll buy it new for full price with the full intention of keeping it for 4.5-5 years at which time the camera will be worth (based on prior history) around the 1500 dollar mark. So for 5yrs of ownership will cost 400/yr of depreciation. Sure you could wait 4-5 months and pay 3200 for one... maybe 3k depending on the sales... for sure in 6 months you'll be able to pick up one for 3k through one of the grey imports but in the end you'll still sell it in 4 years for 1500-1600 for around 375/yr deprecation. Your really complaining about the cost of a nice meal once a year?
For me it's not money to burn. For me it's 3500 - 1650 = 1850 to upgrade / 5yrs of ownership = 370/yr to own the camera.
Kinda of redundant but it's fact. I'll enjoy my camera the full 5 years and will be ready for the next one.