Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Sports 
Thread started 02 Sep 2016 (Friday) 18:47
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

HS Volleyball

jpsamora
335 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Dec 2007

Sep 02, 2016 18:47 |  #1

I need HELP! I tried my hand at Volleyball again and need some help with processing. Or technique. Outdoors I am fine but put me in a gym and I suffer. Here is a capture SOOC. I can't figure out what to do in processing to not degrade it. I fix the white balance and exposure just fine but sharpening and noise reduction are all failing me. This is in LR 5. Thanks for any help you can offer. Just trying to get better. :)

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

1DX, 5D Mark IV, 5D Mark III, 7D Mark ii(gripped), Canon 6D(gripped), Sony A7rii, Canon 600EX-RT(2), Canon ST-E3-RT, Canon 400 2.8L is, Canon 100-400 4.5-5.6L is, Canon 70-200 2.8Lii, Canon 24-70 2.8Lii, Canon 14 2.8Lii, Canon 24-105 4.0 L, Canon 100 2.8 Macro, & Canon 85 1.8, Canon Extender EF 2X iii, Profoto B1 Location Kit.
Web:
http://www.jpsphotos.o​rg (external link)

sponsored links
Zivnuska
Goldmember
3,657 posts
Gallery: 72 photos
Joined Oct 2007

Sep 02, 2016 23:49 |  #2

I have two critiques about your photo. First, it appears to be underexposed. With a 1D X, you should be able to shoot 1/1000 sec, f/2.8 and ISO 6400 with ease. The second suggestion is to shoot tighter. I appreciate that you wanted to include the scoreboard in your shot and that is OK but the more compelling shot would be at 200mm with the full frame 1D X.

Here is a shot, similar to yours and taken from a similar spot on the floor, from last Saturday taken with a 1D Mark IV at 1/1000 sec, f/3.2, 200mm, and ISO 6400. It was also processed in Lightroom.

PHOTOBUCKET EMBEDDING IS DISABLED BY THIS MEMBER.
Photobucket sends ads instead of embedding photos from their free galleries.
Click the link (if available) below to see the image in a gallery page.

http://i137.photobucke​t.com …nuska/2016/PZIV​9774-2.jpg (external link)

Your 1D X should be able to get better image quality than my 1D Mark IV. It is my view that the tighter image is more compelling.

Here is my best advice on shooting volleyball:

http://zivnuska.zenfol​io.com …-to-photograph-volleyball (external link)

Phil

www.zivnuska.zenfolio.​com/blog (external link) = My Blog
Gear List
www.zivnuska.zenfolio.​com (external link)

"It's not tight until you see the color of the irides."

jpsamora
THREAD ­ STARTER
335 posts
Joined Dec 2007

Sep 03, 2016 11:40 as a reply to  @ Zivnuska's post |  #3

Thanks Phil. Great shot! Where was your AF point if you don't mind me asking?

1DX, 5D Mark IV, 5D Mark III, 7D Mark ii(gripped), Canon 6D(gripped), Sony A7rii, Canon 600EX-RT(2), Canon ST-E3-RT, Canon 400 2.8L is, Canon 100-400 4.5-5.6L is, Canon 70-200 2.8Lii, Canon 24-70 2.8Lii, Canon 14 2.8Lii, Canon 24-105 4.0 L, Canon 100 2.8 Macro, & Canon 85 1.8, Canon Extender EF 2X iii, Profoto B1 Location Kit.
Web:

Zivnuska
Goldmember
3,657 posts
Joined Oct 2007
Post edited over 3 years ago by Zivnuska. (3 edits in all)

Sep 03, 2016 14:58 |  #4

In this particular case, it was straight through the net on her neck/face intersection with her jersey prior to her jump. My focus held on her so I went with it.

BTW, sometimes the focus will drift to the net. It happens to everyone. Just be sure you can tell through the viewfinder and adjust as needed. Use your dioptric adjustment knob. Welcome to volleyball photography!

PHOTOBUCKET EMBEDDING IS DISABLED BY THIS MEMBER.
Photobucket sends ads instead of embedding photos from their free galleries.
Click the link (if available) below to see the image in a gallery page.

http://i137.photobucke​t.com …ivnuska/2016/PZ​IV9775.jpg (external link)

Phil

Gear List

jpsamora
THREAD ­ STARTER
335 posts
Joined Dec 2007

Sep 03, 2016 15:45 as a reply to  @ Zivnuska's post |  #5

Thanks again. And great info in your blog. Thanks for sharing.

I submitted two galleries to MaxPreps today, 1 volleyball and 1 football. I was worried about the VB and happy with the FB. Turns out they accepted the VB without any problems and I have some culling to do with the FB. Go figure!

Web:

Zivnuska
Goldmember
3,657 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Sep 03, 2016 16:00 as a reply to  @ jpsamora's post |  #6

Sounds good. I'm sure they don't get as many good volleyball galleries. Thumbs up and keep posting more volleyball.

Phil

Gear List

RCB
140 posts
Joined Sep 2008

Sep 04, 2016 15:09 |  #7

As Phil stated, the biggest problem with the image is that it is under exposed. When you correct the exposure you will have a lot more noise then if you had it right in camera. That is probably why you are having a hard time keeping the image quality up. Because of job commitments I stop shooting for a couple of years but started back again last month. I have a new camera and it took me a couple of events to start figuring out how to process the images from this model's sensor. All cameras are a little different. I am currently shooting some volleyball and put up about a dozen images on flickr of each event. Take a look and you get an idea of what angles, etc are available. I shoot mainly at the college mid major level so the gyms have better lighting than most high schools.

https://www.flickr.com​/photos/ballinatdabeac​h/ (external link)

Robert
http://robertburgephot​o.com (external link)
Canon - 1DX Mk II | 7D Mk II | 15 f2.8 FE | 17-40 f4.0L | 24-70 f2.8L | 85 f1.8 | 135 f2.0L | 70-200 f2.8L IS | 300 f2.8L IS | 500 f4.0L IS | 1.4 TC

Zivnuska
Goldmember
3,657 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Sep 05, 2016 17:02 as a reply to  @ RCB's post |  #8

Those are first rate images.

Gear List

MBB89
257 posts
Joined Jan 2015
Post edited over 3 years ago by MBB89.

Sep 05, 2016 17:56 |  #9

It needs to be shot tighter (200mm) and it's 2/3-1 stop under exposed. ISO 8000 or 10000 and f/2.8 or f/3.2 would do the trick. Focusing on the player through the net works ok if the jersey has some contrast to it but with white jerseys it will tend to want to grab the net. Shooting in portrait mode here I'd move the AF point to the very bottom of the frame and try to keep it on the legs. They will be in the same plane of focus as the face but you won't be shooting through the net. Also, where you shot from is not a very good place for shooting action at the net-- it is a good place for shooting bumps and dives in the back court. To shoot action at the net I want to be either near the net around midcourt or up high somewhere.
Keep at it! Volleyball is a VERY challenging sport to photograph well and you'll get there with some practice.

Also, if you own a 300 f/2.8 (you are clearly serious about gear if you own a 1DX) then I would go with that over the 70-200 for most of the game. Backing far away but shooting at 300 takes some getting used to but the results are 100% worth it.

Talley
Talley Whacker
11,088 posts
Gallery: 46 photos
Joined Dec 2011

Sep 05, 2016 20:21 |  #10

MBB89 wrote in post #18118088 (external link)
It needs to be shot tighter (200mm) and it's 2/3-1 stop under exposed. ISO 8000 or 10000 and f/2.8 or f/3.2 would do the trick. Focusing on the player through the net works ok if the jersey has some contrast to it but with white jerseys it will tend to want to grab the net. Shooting in portrait mode here I'd move the AF point to the very bottom of the frame and try to keep it on the legs. They will be in the same plane of focus as the face but you won't be shooting through the net. Also, where you shot from is not a very good place for shooting action at the net-- it is a good place for shooting bumps and dives in the back court. To shoot action at the net I want to be either near the net around midcourt or up high somewhere.
Keep at it! Volleyball is a VERY challenging sport to photograph well and you'll get there with some practice.

Also, if you own a 300 f/2.8 (you are clearly serious about gear if you own a 1DX) then I would go with that over the 70-200 for most of the game. Backing far away but shooting at 300 takes some getting used to but the results are 100% worth it.

This. Unless you own the 200/2 then you can shoot with it, get the same DOF as 300 2.8 and it's so sharp you can crop down and be good to go. I tested this for a dance recital and liked it better than the 300 2.8

A7rIII | A7III | 12-24 F4 | 16-35 GM | 28-75 2.8 | 100-400 GM | 12mm 2.8 Fisheye | 35mm 2.8 | 85mm 1.8 | 35A | 85A | 200mm L F2 IS | MC-11
My Gear Archive

Rudy2112
422 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Apr 2010

Sep 07, 2016 21:57 |  #11

HOSTED PHOTO

HOSTED PHOTO

Gear List- 7D (gripped), 100-400 4.5-5.6 L, 70-200 2.8 L IS II 85 1.8, Sigma 17-50 2.8, 430exII Website- http://daviddoylephoto​graphy.zenfolio.com/ (external link)

Ambient ­ Light ­ Studios
57 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Feb 2014

Sep 08, 2016 02:22 |  #12

Hope you don't mind me adding a few from last weeks first home match up. I like to shoot tight as mentioned in another post but quite often use a wider format to give the team look to it. These were shot with the 1dxmii and 70-200 2.8ii using strobes in the ceiling of the gym that I have set up.

800 ISO f2.8 at 250th sec

HOSTED PHOTO

HOSTED PHOTO

sponsored links

4,258 views & 5 likes for this thread
HS Volleyball
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Sports 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.