Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
Thread started 05 Sep 2016 (Monday) 23:56
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

X Rite color checker passport and WB-=Help Please :)

4g63photo
Goldmember
2,742 posts
Joined Dec 2005

Sep 05, 2016 23:56 |  #1

Help everyone. Thank you for reading my thread.
So I've been trying to learn the Color passport and for the most part I understand the basics. What I don't understand is the white balance workflow. So do I have to take a pic of the passport with every shoot? Then create a new profile? Do i have to play with the WB on the picture first then Sync the settings to the photo I'm working with? Is there any way to work with the color checker photo and the project photo at the same time? What I'm getting at is I will have the color checker at the beginning of the photoshoot. then say Im working with a photo at the end or middle of the shoot. I have to go back, find the color checker, play with the wb then apply to my project photo? I hope this makes sense to some. Thank you kindly and excuse my frustration.

-Fernando-
Gear List
Flickr (external link)

sponsored links
davinci953
246 posts
Joined Dec 2011

Sep 06, 2016 01:10 |  #2

You might find the following video helpful for incorporating the CCP in your workflow. The presenter makes a clear distinction that white balance and color calibration are separate functions.

https://www.youtube.co​m/watch?v=NDtebpvATzc (external link)

BigAl007
Cream of the Crop
7,962 posts
Gallery: 542 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2010

Sep 06, 2016 06:44 |  #3

Knowing what software you are using for your processing would also be very helpful. Generally you should only need to make a profile for the lighting type that you are using once. Be taht daylight, tungsten or whatever. Occasionally when you have complex mixed lighting you might need to do a profile for specific circumstances, such as when the lighting ratios change in those complex mixed conditions. Colour temp should then be easy, a simple shot with the WB card included for each location/lighting setup as the first shot. You then simply use the eyedropper tool for picking the correct WB by clicking on the preferred "neutral" patch. The CC Passport has a couple of tone options for WB, warm, cool, as well as dead neutral, there are two sets of patches, one setup for portraits, the other for landscapes, so there are plenty of choices. Once you have clicked on the chosen WB patch that best suits your requirements, you simply use what ever option your software requires to paste the WB setting to all of the other photos taken in the same lighting.

Alan

My Flickr (external link)
My new Aviation images blog site (external link)

4g63photo
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
2,742 posts
Joined Dec 2005

Sep 07, 2016 08:04 |  #4

Thank you both for the responses. Im using the CC passport in light room.

-Fernando-
Gear List
Flickr (external link)

windpig
Chopped liver
14,776 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Dec 2008

Sep 07, 2016 08:25 |  #5

A profile for ever shoot is not needed.
Always set the profile before WB in your workflow.

Would you like to buy a vowel?
Go ahead, spin the wheel.
flickr (external link)
I'm accross the canal just south of Ballard, the town Seattle usurped in 1907.

Wilt
Reader's Digest Condensed version of War and Peace [POTN Vol 1]
41,362 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2005
Post edited over 2 years ago by Wilt. (5 edits in all)

Sep 07, 2016 10:49 |  #6

Think about this...

A. For a pro who works in a studio, perhaps with strobes sometimes, perhaps with LED constant lights sometimes

1. use the ColorChecker Passport for each lighting type (strobes vs. LED), and create a Profile for that setup
  2. don't bother necessarily to include the use the ColorChecker Passport in a shot, but use one of your standardized Profiles to get best color accuracy
...The ColorChecker Passport in this setting is not merely an aid in establishing WB value, the creation and use of the profile help to gets color reproduction more accurate, such as for a pro shooting illustrations of textiles and fashions.

B. For the pro who is shooting on location, or for a typical amateur enthusiast
  • include the ColorChecker Passport in a shot to establish a WB setting to use during post processing

...and if the lighting conditions (the mix of lights) is different, include a shot of the CCP in those lighting conditions to help you establish 'neutral' under those conditions.

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost! Keep POTN alive and well with member support https://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention

BigAl007
Cream of the Crop
7,962 posts
Gallery: 542 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2010

Sep 07, 2016 10:58 |  #7

I think this Joe Brady video is actually really good, since it takes you through examples of both portrait and landscape shoots using the CC Pro and LR. I have two links, the first is the one I actually watched Link 1 (external link) and the second Link 2 (external link) I think is essentially the same content, but the vid is slightly longer, and I found clicking the Joe Brady links alongside the video in davinci953's post.

Alan

My Flickr (external link)
My new Aviation images blog site (external link)

Alveric
Goldmember
4,598 posts
Gallery: 38 photos
Joined Jan 2011
Post edited over 2 years ago by Alveric.

Sep 07, 2016 14:04 |  #8
bannedPermanent ban

Wilt wrote in post #18119938 (external link)
Think about this...

A. For a pro who works in a studio, perhaps with strobes sometimes, perhaps with LED constant lights sometimes

1. use the ColorChecker Passport for each lighting type (strobes vs. LED), and create a Profile for that setup
  2. don't bother necessarily to include the use the ColorChecker Passport in a shot, but use one of your standardized Profiles to get best color accuracy
...The ColorChecker Passport in this setting is not merely an aid in establishing WB value, the creation and use of the profile help to gets color reproduction more accurate, such as for a pro shooting illustrations of textiles and fashions.

B. For the pro who is shooting on location, or for a typical amateur enthusiast
  • include the ColorChecker Passport in a shot to establish a WB setting to use during post processing

...and if the lighting conditions (the mix of lights) is different, include a shot of the CCP in those lighting conditions to help you establish 'neutral' under those conditions.

That's essentially what I did: I used my Spyder Checkr to 'profile' my monolights. One advantage of using quality strobes is that the variation in colour temperature is practically nil (~50K with Hensels), unlike with flashguns and elcheapo strobes whose temperatures sway like a car driven by a drunk (hundreds of Kelvins): thus, only one profiling shot gave me the values to plug into my RAW processor and the camera's Custom WB, this for ALL power levels. With so-so strobes and flashguns, you'd best create profiles for each power level and add them as presets in your RAW processor (the exercise will also help you suss out just how much your strobes wander from their nominal/advertised value); the Custom WB for the camera will have to suffer, though, as it can take only one value.

I've always found the Passport's use of LR profiles a bit of a chore, and when I used LR I preferred the Spyder's approach of using the colour adjustments. All of that is a moot point with non-Adobe software, of course, which brings me to my next point: not telling you here to return the Passport and buy a Spyder Checkr, but simply to use it like a normal colour card: take a shot and use the droppers to adjust the WB (of course, for critical work where colour reproduction must be spot on, and if you use LR, go right ahead and create a profile).

'The success of the second-rate is deplorable in itself; but it is more deplorable in that it very often obscures the genuine masterpiece. If the crowd runs after the false, it must neglect the true.' —Arthur Machen
Why 'The Histogram' Sux (external link)

sponsored links

1,727 views & 1 like for this thread
X Rite color checker passport and WB-=Help Please :)
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.