Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 24 Aug 2016 (Wednesday) 21:29
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Canon 5D Mark IV -- Time to Discuss!

gjl711
According to the lazy TF, My flatulence rates
54,090 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Sep 07, 2016 14:34 |  #1306

don1163 wrote in post #18120110 (external link)
Bit disappointed by all the negative comments and putting down of this camera before anyone on here has even had one in their hands..
Wouldnt the sensible thing to do be to wait untill the camera is has actually seen in peoples hands and the pros and cons have been discovered, images have been posted etc..and then discuss the real issues like sensible people ..

As has been the case with the last few upgrades, there are certain expectation that are set by what's out there as well as what's needed. When the camera is announced and the feature set is known, a lot can be derived from the specifications alone. Delivering awesome images is no longer enough as all cameras do that.

Not sure why, but call me JJ.
I used to hate math but then I realised decimals have a point.
::Flickr:: (external link)
::Gear::

sponsored links
rantercsr
Goldmember
2,317 posts
Gallery: 23 photos
Joined Mar 2014
Post edited over 1 year ago by rantercsr.

Sep 07, 2016 14:52 |  #1307

PJJ205 wrote in post #18120118 (external link)
Literally thousands of people bashing a camera that hasn't even seen the light of day yet. I really don't get that mentality... Don't like it? Don't buy it. Seems pretty simple and straight forward to me... People just feel better about themselves by being arrogant and negative about things that have no real effect on their lives. Completely baffles me.

its nothing abnormal really... with anything not just photography.
a few lucky ones that get early trials will post vids/ariticles ,about what they do and dont like ,, people will comment..just the way it goes

Somepeople who are excited for the camera .. canon fans, loyalists , fanboys what ever , will get all touchy when people post anything negative.. as if it were impossible that the camera could have flaws..
and the people who for what ever reason are looking for canon to flop get a kick out of it...

honestly , i'm a fan of canon.. love canons colors .. especially skin tones.. build quality , reliability , and how can you not love the lens lineup.. but i'm not going to not comment on any negatives (for me) that i see in a forum , especially one called "Canon 5D Mark IV -- Time to Discuss"

Fuji XH1 / Panasonic GH5 / Sony A7R3 / Canon t4i / Pentax K1000
My portraits IG (external link)My everything else IG (external link)
MY flickr (external link)

jwcdds
Cream of the Crop
14,586 posts
Gallery: 1621 photos
Best ofs: 5
Joined Aug 2004

Sep 07, 2016 14:52 |  #1308

Talley wrote in post #18120114 (external link)
See the for sale section. Buckeye has an authorized dealer source and they have them in stock and can ship overnight for 60.

Mine arrives friday :)

I'm not worried about if I had it today, tomorrow... or friday. I just wanted it before the weekend!!!
thumbnail
Hosted photo: posted by Talley in
./showthread.php?p=181​20114&i=i127006491
forum: Canon EOS Digital Cameras

Yeah.. but check needs to clear first and now that it's coming up on the weekend... there's still going to be a wait. :D 1st world problems. :lol:

Julian
Gear/Feedbacks | SmugMug (external link) | Flickr (external link) | Blog (external link) | Instagram (external link) | YouTube (external link)
My Reviews | "The Mighty One" (external link) | "EF 85mm f/1.4 L IS Review" (external link)
Founding member and President of the BOGUS Photo Club (Blatantly-Over-Geared & Under-Skilled)

PJJ205
219 posts
Joined Aug 2015

Sep 07, 2016 15:04 as a reply to  @ rantercsr's post |  #1309

To each their own, but I'd prefer to wait to form a solid opinion until after I played with it myself.

Nethawked
791 posts
Gallery: 24 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Oct 2014

Sep 07, 2016 15:07 |  #1310

Sheesh, 88 pages read - every post. I feel like I should now be eligible for VA benefits :-P

I must say, while I'm pretty happy with the 5DIII + 6D combination as a concert/festival photographer the 5D4 seems to be a dream come true. To be able to shoot high ISO (6400 max on 5D, 12,800 6D), underexpose so lights aren't blown out, and STILL be able to lift shadows without tons of fretting in LR is going to be really nice. I've got a feeling I've got a learning curve related to how I shoot (as was previously mentioned, the exposure triangle now becomes a bit of a mess) in different scenarios, and the 5D4 seems to be just the right tool for the job. Red and blue channel noise with either of my current bodies is always a nightmare, I'm really excited about the comments indicating improvement in this area.

I'm still on the fence as to where and how DPRAW will benefit me (although I can see positive application in high contrast, sunny day crowd shots) but I'm keeping an open mind.

Any other concert photographers out there who are upgrading? I'm interested in your thoughts.

Talley
Talley Whacker
10,622 posts
Gallery: 40 photos
Joined Dec 2011

Sep 07, 2016 15:08 |  #1311

PJJ205 wrote in post #18120144 (external link)
To each their own, but I'd prefer to wait to form a solid opinion until after I played with it myself.

I like this guy.

My entire hobby of gear lust has temporarily been shifted into overload. Please be patient while my mind tries to get back onto the road to recovery. We do apologize for any inconvenience this may cause....
My Gear Archive

don1163
Goldmember
1,000 posts
Gallery: 27 photos
Joined May 2015

Sep 07, 2016 16:08 |  #1312

gjl711 wrote in post #18120123 (external link)
Delivering awesome images is no longer enough as all cameras do that.

If that was the case we would all be shooting with Rebels and and kit lenses and saving ourselves thousands of pounds ....

1DX, 500L f4, 70-200L f2.8II, 100L f2.8 macro ,16-35 f4, 1.4xIII, Metz 64-AF1

clc2112
87 posts
Joined Aug 2005

Sep 07, 2016 16:20 |  #1313

Chat from B&H. I pre-ordered on Aug 25th at 940p Eastern Time

George F: Hello Calvin, my name is George F and I'm looking forward to helping you today!
Me: Hi George can you confirm if my order will ship tomorrow?
George F: Yes, it will ship tomorrow.
Me: confirmed, done deal right? It'll arrive on Friday?
George F: Hopefully if everything goes as scheduled.
Me: can you tell me the shipper? Fedex?
George F: I'm not sure.
Me: ok. So it goes out tomorrow. Thats good info
Me: thanks George
George F: You're welcome.
George F: Thank you for choosing to shop with B&H, we appreciate having you as a customer. Have a wonderful day!
Me: u2

P.S. if you are in San Jose, I know Best Buy on Blossom Hill has a few that are not spoken for and are available Thursday, when they open.

5D IV
EF 24-70 f2.8L II
EF 70-200 f2.8L IS II

Talley
Talley Whacker
10,622 posts
Joined Dec 2011

Sep 07, 2016 16:24 |  #1314

We should create a 5D4 VIP list on who gets theirs before Saturday. The select few chosen ones.  :p

My entire hobby of gear lust has temporarily been shifted into overload. Please be patient while my mind tries to get back onto the road to recovery. We do apologize for any inconvenience this may cause....
My Gear Archive

Rittrato
Goldmember
1,223 posts
Joined May 2010

Sep 07, 2016 16:41 |  #1315

Mine arrives Friday Holy Crap!!!:-P

I was going to get mine from Buckeye but so glad I went with PMI Digital =D =D =D

Talley
Talley Whacker
10,622 posts
Joined Dec 2011

Sep 07, 2016 16:48 |  #1316

Not sure why people preorder from the big three. Many other options available

My Gear Archive

don1163
Goldmember
1,000 posts
Gallery: 27 photos
Joined May 2015

Sep 07, 2016 16:51 |  #1317

jonneymendoza wrote in post #18119733 (external link)
pixel shift is useless..

https://www.youtube.co​m/watch?v=W0S8shTk94E (external link)

Depends on which video you choose to believe....
https://youtu.be/AhVKM​mKFGy8 (external link)

1DX, 500L f4, 70-200L f2.8II, 100L f2.8 macro ,16-35 f4, 1.4xIII, Metz 64-AF1

basketballfreak6
Goldmember
1,314 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined Jan 2011
Post edited over 1 year ago by basketballfreak6.

Sep 07, 2016 16:56 |  #1318

Talley wrote in post #18120198 (external link)
We should create a 5D4 VIP list on who gets theirs before Saturday. The select few chosen ones.  :p

mine's supposed to be in my hands later today :P (it's 8am Thursday 8/9 right now here down under)

https://www.instagram.​com/tony.liu.photograp​hy/ (external link)
flickr (external link)
https://500px.com/tony​_liu_photography (external link)
5DIV, 5DIII, modified 760D, 16-35L f/4 IS, 24-70L II f/2.8, 70-200L IS II f/2.8, S150-600 f/5-6.3 SPORT, S14 f/1.8 ART, S50 f/1.4 ART, S135 f/1.8 ART, 100L IS Macro f/2.8

CyberDyneSystems
Admin (type T-2000)
48,394 posts
Gallery: 84 photos
Joined Apr 2003

Sep 07, 2016 17:02 |  #1319

PJJ205 wrote in post #18120118 (external link)
Literally thousands of people bashing a camera that hasn't even seen the light of day yet. I really don't get that mentality... Don't like it? Don't buy it. Seems pretty simple and straight forward to me... People just feel better about themselves by being arrogant and negative about things that have no real effect on their lives. Completely baffles me.

It is an interesting phenomena, and yet we see it pretty much every time.

In this case it is all the more confusing based on a few specifics to the 5D4 release.

- In all the 5D4 wish list threads in the rumors forum, the requested dreams are in fact less than Canon is offering. Most asked only for a few more pixels, and more DR.
Canon is giving us that, plus faster frame rate, plus 4K, plus 400bits a second, plus improved AF, plus the blessed EC in manual/auto ISO, plus the re-designed AF Zone toggle, Plus GPS, Plus Wifi (I did not expect either) IN A Magnesium body (really did not expect that)

- Most of the belly aching is about the usability of an included feature that literally NO ONE had predicted or foreseen. So by including a new technology that no one else has used before, Canon has somehow angered the masses buy not doing it right? Even though until yesterday we didn't even know what doing right might be? No other camera can do it, so why does it hurt the 5D4 that it can?

The Dual pixel tech may or may not ever be evolved into a useful tool. For macro focus, or for highlight protection, We just don't know. However it's existence is already available in the hardware due to the AF tech that birthed those additional photo-sites. IMHO as long as the photo-sites exist, and the data is available, we might as well do some experimenting with the hardware and data and see what tools we can ring out of it. Better fro Canon to step up and try something with the hardware then leave it to a 3rd party to do so, no?

Raymond DeWalt never imagined that his invention would some day be used for cutting dados, spinning molding heads, or Rip cuts. All of this eventually came from that tool, some of it worked better on the Radial Arm Saw than any other tool (cross cutting Dados) some was almost disastrously dangerous (rip cuts IMHO) but the basic tool was there and adding these features was a no brainer and well, you never know till you try.
Ironically, what the tool was designed for from the get go, cross cutting and miters, it is no longer employed for in the vast majority of trades. (miter saws do it better, cheaper and more reliably)

With the 5D4 at least no one is going to lose a finger while we try it's hardware out in new ways. ;)

Maybe this example shed's some light on why I find this such a weird thing to be debating. In a shop , we are constantly, daily coming up with new and better ways to use or tools for operations that the designer may have never imagined. Cutting tenons or shaping cove molding on a table saw? Cutting circular wheels on a table saw? Using lathes to drill holes, using drill presses to sand inside of curves, or to cut mortises.

To me, pushing tools far outside the box is every day stuff.

GEAR LIST
CDS' HOT LINKS
Jake Hegnauer Photography (external link)

Talley
Talley Whacker
10,622 posts
Joined Dec 2011

Sep 07, 2016 17:10 |  #1320

Exactly. Canon looked at that thread and said that's all you want.... Well show you!!!

...and they still get bashed. They fixed everything wrong with 5d3 and more.

5D4 will be epic

My Gear Archive

sponsored links

679,365 views & 2,655 likes for this thread
Canon 5D Mark IV -- Time to Discuss!
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.