Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
Thread started 05 Sep 2016 (Monday) 20:14
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

What to do with a fried 5D MKII?

Bdoherty61
34 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined Oct 2008

Sep 05, 2016 20:14 |  #1

Hi,

I was on a rafting trip this summer using my 5D MKII to take great pictures of canyon walls and cloud formations when our raft was flooded by a huge wave. Unfortunately, my camera got wet and went on the blink. I sent it to the Canon Repair facility in New Jersey and the price to repair it is too high, roughly $900. I can see on the market place that I can get a good used one for that price if I want another 5D, which I'm not sure I do.

My question is what to do with the 5D MKII body? Do you think someone could use it for spare parts? Do you think it has any worth to anyone? The internal components are fried, but the outer shell of the camera is in reasonably good condition.

If anyone has any thoughts let me know. I'm just having a hard time dropping the camera in a garbage can that I once spent a good amount of money on.

Thanks

sponsored links
Bassat
"I am still in my underwear."
8,075 posts
Joined Oct 2015

Sep 05, 2016 20:20 |  #2

I have a Brownie Hawkeye Flash prominently displayed in my computer/den room. It hasn't had film in it for about 48 years. It still evokes lots of childhood memories. My kids can throw it out when I die.

Myboostedgst
Goldmember
1,896 posts
Gallery: 28 photos
Joined Feb 2011

Sep 05, 2016 20:20 |  #3

Does Canon still do their trade in program? Where if you buy a new body from them and send in any body, working or broken, they take off a large amount, like 10-15%? It's been a long time since I looked into their loyalty program.

Andrew | Facebook (external link) | Flickr (external link) | Instagram (external link)
D750, 24-70, 50 1.4G, 85 1.8G, 70-200 VRII, 300 F2.8 AF
Founder of www.midwestautomotive.​net (external link)

Myboostedgst
Goldmember
1,896 posts
Gallery: 28 photos
Joined Feb 2011

Sep 05, 2016 20:23 |  #4

Bassat wrote in post #18118231 (external link)
I have a Brownie Hawkeye Flash prominently displayed in my computer/den room. It hasn't had film in it for about 48 years. It still evokes lots of childhood memories. My kids can throw it out when I die.

And this is my second suggestion. I had a Powershot S5 IS and a old little Olympus point and shoot sitting on my shelf in my office. Both cameras were mine when I was in high school/college and I loved them. Took some of my favorite memories with them.

A month ago someone broke into my house, and in addition to stealing my new photo gear and my electronics, they also stole the old cameras. The rest of my stuff was replaceable, those weren't. Still hurts to think about.

Andrew | Facebook (external link) | Flickr (external link) | Instagram (external link)
D750, 24-70, 50 1.4G, 85 1.8G, 70-200 VRII, 300 F2.8 AF
Founder of www.midwestautomotive.​net (external link)

John ­ from ­ PA
Cream of the Crop
8,717 posts
Joined May 2003
Post edited over 2 years ago by John from PA.

Sep 05, 2016 20:45 |  #5

Myboostedgst wrote in post #18118232 (external link)
Does Canon still do their trade in program? Where if you buy a new body from them and send in any body, working or broken, they take off a large amount, like 10-15%? It's been a long time since I looked into their loyalty program.

This was called the Canon Loyalty Program. I think it still exists but the deals may not be as good as they were a few years back. The phone number used to be (866)-443-8002. It's tool free so doesn't cost anything to check what if any deal may exist.

Wilt
Reader's Digest Condensed version of War and Peace [POTN Vol 1]
41,422 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2005
Post edited over 2 years ago by Wilt.

Sep 05, 2016 22:16 |  #6

The old Canon Loyalty program is pathetic nowadays. My 5D died, Canon reiterated it was no longer serviced by them, I would get a flat $60 credit against any new or refurb camera purchased direct from them, and get free shipping, and keep the old camera because Canon does not want it.

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost! Keep POTN alive and well with member support https://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention

Bdoherty61
THREAD ­ STARTER
34 posts
Joined Oct 2008

Sep 06, 2016 20:10 as a reply to  @ Bassat's post |  #7

A Brownie is cuter than a 5DMK II. I feel the same though, I just don't want to throw it away.

Bdoherty61
THREAD ­ STARTER
34 posts
Joined Oct 2008

Sep 06, 2016 20:12 as a reply to  @ Myboostedgst's post |  #8

Actually when I told Canon not to do the repair they sent information referring their trade in program. I went and looked and I know that the inventory is always changing, but the prices they were asking for the used/refurbished equipment was really high. I can find better deals here on POTN.

Bdoherty61
THREAD ­ STARTER
34 posts
Joined Oct 2008

Sep 06, 2016 20:17 as a reply to  @ Myboostedgst's post |  #9

Really! That's a drag. You wouldn't think they would take the old gear. Actually my first camera that got me into photography was a Canon AE-1. I had a bunch of lenses and filters. A really good amount of gear. I sold it to pay for my first digital camera. I still wonder sometimes if I should have held onto that camera.

I know I've gotten so use to instant gratification of reviewing a picture and retaking it or bracketing it. But film had that mystery and suspense about it that digital doesn't have.

Bdoherty61
THREAD ­ STARTER
34 posts
Joined Oct 2008

Sep 06, 2016 20:23 as a reply to  @ Wilt's post |  #10

HI, I agree. Canon offered me information on the Loyalty program when I asked them to return my camera without doing the repair. I found the prices, even when taking the 15% into account to be outrageous. Plus, if I wanted a refurbished camera, I would have had my own repaired.

My 5D MKII was a great camera, but it was also 9 years old, and I guess it's demise is going to force me to upgrade my camera. Pure & simple. I just don't know which camera to get.

Since I'm a serious hobbyist and haven't sold much of anything I don't want to spend a lot on my next camera. I'm looking at either the 70D or the 7D MK II. I'm just starting my research on them now.

MikeThompson
262 posts
Joined Mar 2009
Location: On the road somewhere between the Atlantic and Pacific

Sep 06, 2016 21:39 |  #11

I dropped a 50D into a trout stream 3 or 4 years ago. Sent it to Canon and they told me it could not be repaired. "Too much rust" was what they told me. I called a local (Asheville, NC) camera repair shop and they said they'd look at it. They replaced 2 boards and charged me about $200. It has not given me a moments problem since then.

Mike
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and proclaiming....."WOW, WHAT A RIDE".

Bdoherty61
THREAD ­ STARTER
34 posts
Joined Oct 2008

Sep 07, 2016 14:41 as a reply to  @ MikeThompson's post |  #12

Really? The nearest local repair shop to me closed up recently. I live South of Boston. I could look into that. I have the quote from Canon. I know which boards need replacing, so it wouldn't hurt to ask for a quote. Thanks for the advice.

FarmerTed1971
fondling the 5D4
6,025 posts
Gallery: 66 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Sep 2013

Sep 07, 2016 14:51 |  #13

Sell on eBay for spare parts?

Getting better at this - Fuji Xt-2 - Fuji X-Pro2 - Laowa 9mm - 18-55 - 23/35/50/90 f2 WR - 50-140 - flickr (external link) - www.scottaticephoto.co​m (external link)

MikeThompson
262 posts
Joined Mar 2009
Location: On the road somewhere between the Atlantic and Pacific
Post edited over 2 years ago by MikeThompson.

Sep 07, 2016 15:09 |  #14

Here's where I sent mine. You may want them to troubleshoot the camera themselves. Like I said, Canon told me mine couldn't be repaired, but Crystal Camera did it.

http://www.crystalcame​ra.com/ (external link)

Mike
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and proclaiming....."WOW, WHAT A RIDE".

Bdoherty61
THREAD ­ STARTER
34 posts
Joined Oct 2008

Sep 07, 2016 21:43 as a reply to  @ FarmerTed1971's post |  #15

I do have an Ebay account. I should look to see what I could get for it. My fear is not much, but maybe there is someone out there rebuilding cameras who might want it.

Thanks.

sponsored links

3,462 views & 1 like for this thread
What to do with a fried 5D MKII?
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.