Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos Presentation & Building Galleries 
Thread started 06 Sep 2016 (Tuesday) 22:43
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Black paged books? Where?

valdano
89 posts
Gallery: 12 photos
Joined Jan 2012

Sep 06, 2016 22:43 |  #1

Hey guys i'm wondering if any of you know where I can get something like this done. Rather than just putting black on the page (in In-Design), it seems as if the raw colour of the paper is black.

If you've seen my last post, you'd see that i'm trying to create a strong brand that sets myself from the other locals in my area. This looks really on the higher end and would love to get my hands on a printer that can supply me with these kinds of books.

Note: Image was found on google and led to a pinterest page.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

Updated: Nikon D700 || Nikon D700 || Nikon 35 1.8 || Nikon 50 1.8 || Nikon 85 1.8 || Nikkor 70-200 2.8 VRI

sponsored links
BigAl007
Cream of the Crop
7,975 posts
Gallery: 542 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2010

Sep 07, 2016 04:33 |  #2

Firstly this is only going to work for pages that contain only text or other content that can be printed with a white ink. It's going to need to be printed on an offset press where they can use a white spot colour ink. Even then there is a good chance that the ink isn't going to be super bright white, without having to lay down a lot of ink with a very high pigment content, I guess you will be looking at a Titanium oxide based pigment.

If you are going to use this for a printed portfolio book then I think you would be best to keep this for the cover, with only the logo printed on it. If you used a logo as suggested in the other thread, then that would look good in white on black, with just a small title added. I guess you could use white on black paper within the book, as section breaks or the like, but it is really going to push up the price you are going to pay for a one or two copy book.

I would also suggest having the logo in reverse, so that you can use it in black on white mode too. I'm sure the black on white option will also work. Given that the logo consists of only letter forms, I would consider using them to create a font. I suggested a way of doing the letter D, and sticking to that system would make the other letters with curves relatively easy to figure out. Since you don't actually need to use every symbol/letter form in a font I would probably just create the capital letter options, you could always just use a small caps type option to define the lower case letters too. You then have your distinctive style to use in key locations. You could for example use it titles and headings in all of your documents and leaflets etc.

Alan

My Flickr (external link)
My new Aviation images blog site (external link)

kjonnnn
Goldmember
1,204 posts
Joined Apr 2005
Post edited over 2 years ago by kjonnnn with reason 'site'.

Sep 07, 2016 16:04 |  #3

Try this site.

http://www.moleskine.c​om …s/model/black-page-albums (external link)

PhotosGuy
75,776 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Feb 2004

Sep 07, 2016 16:38 |  #4

Their "Large" books are only 5" X 8.25". Not big enough for me!

Rather than just putting black on the page (in In-Design), it seems as if the raw colour of the paper is black.

I agree with Alan. When I made my books, the background of the page was black ink & they looked pretty good.

FrankC - 20D, RAW, Manual everything...
Classic Carz, Racing, Air Show, Flowers.
Find the light... A few Car Lighting Tips, and MOVE YOUR FEET!
Have you thought about making your own book? // Need an exposure crutch?
New Image Size Limits: Image must not exceed 1600 pixels on any side.

valdano
THREAD ­ STARTER
89 posts
Joined Jan 2012

Sep 07, 2016 18:36 |  #5

BigAl007 wrote in post #18119749 (external link)
Firstly this is only going to work for pages that contain only text or other content that can be printed with a white ink. It's going to need to be printed on an offset press where they can use a white spot colour ink. Even then there is a good chance that the ink isn't going to be super bright white, without having to lay down a lot of ink with a very high pigment content, I guess you will be looking at a Titanium oxide based pigment.

If you are going to use this for a printed portfolio book then I think you would be best to keep this for the cover, with only the logo printed on it. If you used a logo as suggested in the other thread, then that would look good in white on black, with just a small title added. I guess you could use white on black paper within the book, as section breaks or the like, but it is really going to push up the price you are going to pay for a one or two copy book.

I would also suggest having the logo in reverse, so that you can use it in black on white mode too. I'm sure the black on white option will also work. Given that the logo consists of only letter forms, I would consider using them to create a font. I suggested a way of doing the letter D, and sticking to that system would make the other letters with curves relatively easy to figure out. Since you don't actually need to use every symbol/letter form in a font I would probably just create the capital letter options, you could always just use a small caps type option to define the lower case letters too. You then have your distinctive style to use in key locations. You could for example use it titles and headings in all of your documents and leaflets etc.

Alan

Thanks so much for such a detailed response Alan. I never took into consideration the fact that it would have to be printed offset. It was just an idea I saw and thought it would look nice for my brand. I love the idea of the black on white and also white on black as you suggested. Since the inside pages won't work i'll definitely do it for the cover as I think it would look very elegant and luxurious.

As for the logo, i'm still playing around with it. Since you pointed it out, it's been bothering me (the curve in the D) but I still haven't found a compromise I feel comfortable working with. I saw the one you did on my other post but what I didn't like was the 'tiny' curve. I like sharp edges, and it kinda looked round edged. I know that might sound counter productive, but it's sorta makes sense in my head.

Appreciate the time, effort and feedback though my friend. Really do! I'm gonna do some test prints with the cover and post my reviews here or maybe in a new thread.

Updated: Nikon D700 || Nikon D700 || Nikon 35 1.8 || Nikon 50 1.8 || Nikon 85 1.8 || Nikkor 70-200 2.8 VRI

valdano
THREAD ­ STARTER
89 posts
Joined Jan 2012

Sep 07, 2016 18:38 as a reply to  @ kjonnnn's post |  #6

Thanks for the link. Going to check it out now. Havent visited the site yet but if what FotosGuy said is true then it might he too small. I could use it for other documents though.

valdano
THREAD ­ STARTER
89 posts
Joined Jan 2012

Sep 07, 2016 18:39 as a reply to  @ PhotosGuy's post |  #7

Thanks, i'm going to try the black ink. I guess what i'll do is to use a matte finish as I was it to look flat rather than glossy.

BigAl007
Cream of the Crop
7,975 posts
Gallery: 542 photos
Joined Dec 2010

Sep 08, 2016 06:30 |  #8

If you don't like the letter forms with the curves, then you could always go with the 45 degree angles, like the military type stencils use. I knocked these up as a very quick example in PS, The D and C just drop one stroke, and I did the B by doubling the D, Dropping the height to match the other letters had a bit of an unfortunate effect, so you would have to do it properly, so that the strokes all stay the same width. the O would just mirror the right side to the D over. I'm sure that the rest of the characters do make a full fonts worth of capital letters would then become plain.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

Alan

My Flickr (external link)
My new Aviation images blog site (external link)

Tom ­ Reichner
"I am a little creepy"
13,066 posts
Gallery: 142 photos
Joined Dec 2008

Sep 08, 2016 08:29 |  #9

The photo books that you can make and order thru Lulu.com have black pages as default. .I haven't noticed any problems with the photos being too dark or anything like that. .The photos are plenty bright enough.

"Your" and "you're" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"They're", "their", and "there" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"Fare" and "fair" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one. The proper expression is "moot point", NOT "mute point".

sponsored links

1,998 views & 3 likes for this thread
Black paged books? Where?
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos Presentation & Building Galleries 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.