Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 24 Aug 2016 (Wednesday) 21:29
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Canon 5D Mark IV -- Time to Discuss!

Itsed65
Goldmember
2,478 posts
Gallery: 1129 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Jan 2010

Sep 08, 2016 20:36 |  #1546

Talley wrote in post #18121649 (external link)
Can't wait for a 400mm dog shot!

Well I don't have a puppy, but I did just put up a 400mm cat shot on the new pictures thread! I will have to wait til I am out with my buddy and his 2 McNabs to get some good Frisbee dog shots.

Canon 5D MK IV, 7D MK II, 1D MK IV, Fuji XT-2 Sony A9 and RX10 MK IV
My Flickr (external link)

sponsored links
krikricricri
29 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Sep 09, 2016 01:00 as a reply to  @ Itsed65's post |  #1547

He is very fond of dual-pixel autofocus ...

https://www.slrlounge.​com …iew-gear-talk-episode-13/ (external link)

mclaren777
Goldmember
1,479 posts
Joined May 2012

Sep 09, 2016 01:23 |  #1548

Hockeyphoto wrote in post #18121502 (external link)
Ugh. I pre-ordered from Amazon. Can't believe they dropped the ball so big on this one! I'm tempted to drive to the Best Buy across town and be done with this.

I did this exact same thing tonight and I now have two 5D4s (I had to go to two different BB stores).

Amazon really goofed on this one.

A simple comparison of sensor technology: Nikon vs. Canon (external link)
A technical comparison of sensor technology: Exposure Latitude (external link)

sploo
premature adulation
2,265 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Nov 2011

Sep 09, 2016 03:49 |  #1549

In anticipation of mine turning up today I've installed DPP for the first time. Ugh. Yeah. It's pretty grotty isn't it.

I've had a play with a couple of sample raw files (exported to Photoshop as TIFF) and the ability to push is really impressive (yeah, yeah, welcome to 2012 Canon... I know).

The only thing I've noticed is that extreme shadow pushes + pulling down highlights are tending to leave a fairly thick black line around objects. I've noticed this on a couple of different files. Maybe it's normal Camera RAW behaviour, and it's just that I wouldn't try that with a 5D3 file. Maybe the decoding of the 5D4 raws is still not quite sorted.

Camera, some lenses, too little time, too little talent

SuzyView
Cream of the Crop
32,073 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Oct 2005

Sep 09, 2016 04:34 |  #1550

Amazon is shipping next week, so not awful. I like the $200 credit. I'm so busy these days that I cannot imagine getting out before next weekend anyway. I have a shoot tonight and tomorrow. Charity event. I don't need anything more than my 5D2 with 24-70 II and 17-40. It's pro bono and I'm not that worried. I do have an engagement shoot and a wedding and a charity event that requires printing on site. The last one I'll be curious how well the brand new set up with the 5DIV and 24-70II will fare. I am excited to do senior shots for my son's friends in the fall when the leaves turn. But I'm going to crash a big wedding next month.

Since I don't have a cute dog, I will run over to my neighbor's house and snap a few photos of their cute dog when my camera arrives.

Anyone else get a 5DIV and ready to show us?

Suzie - Still Speaking Canonese!
5DIV, 7D2, SL1, G12, iPad Pro, iPhone 6P, 5 L's & 2 Primes, 25 bags.
My children are the reason, but it's the passion that drives me to get the perfect image of everything.

vk2gwk
Cream of the Crop
12,209 posts
Gallery: 202 photos
Joined Jun 2009

Sep 09, 2016 04:46 |  #1551

Annoyed. They promised shipping on Thursday. But as the appointed courier (Startrack in Australia - did not turn up they shipped today -means Monday at the earliest..... !@#$%^&* as swearing is prohibited... :)

My name is Henk. and I believe "It is all in the eye of the beholder....."
Image Editing is allowed. Please explain what you did!
5D MkIV 5DMkIII, 50D, 24-105/1:4L IS USM + 100-400/4-5.6L IS USM + 50mm 1.4 USM + Tamron 70-200mm F/2.8 VC + Sigma 150-600mm Sports + 580EXII + 430EX + YN568EXII, triggers, reflectors, umbrellas and some more bits and pieces...
Photos on: Flickr! (external link) and on my own web site. (external link)

Dlee13
Goldmember
3,055 posts
Gallery: 379 photos
Joined Apr 2012

Sep 09, 2016 04:56 |  #1552

For those of you in Australia, my friend who works at JB Hifi told me that even though it's $5199 there they can go as low as $4899 so it's worth trying to bargain with them!

Sony Alpha A7III ~ Canon EOS M5 ~ Canon EF-M 22mm f/2 ~ Canon EF 35mm f2 IS
Canon EF 16-35mm f4L IS ~ Canon EF 100mm f2.8L IS USM ~
Sigma MC-11 ~ Sony FE 85mm f/1.8 ~ Sigma 35mm f/1.4 Art

Blog (external link) | Flickr (external link) | 500px (external link)

Nethawked
791 posts
Gallery: 24 photos
Joined Oct 2014

Sep 09, 2016 06:18 |  #1553

FEChariot wrote in post #18121326 (external link)
I used to think that way. The first time I spend a night of astro photography imaging contorting my neck and back trying to see the screen and or viewfinder changed that thought process for me. Same with macro work.

A properly designed operating menu with thouch screen would be able to eliminate the buttons on the left where the hinge would go. And if you don't want to flip it out because you are 'too pro', you could just leave it alone.

Well then. If you're not pro enough, skip this one and buy an 80D instead.

I agree completely that different applications would benefit from this feature. I've missed it myself at times. That said, the more moving, swinging, turning and articulating parts there are the more potential for breakage and failure, and I'd much rather not have that concern while in the field.

Nethawked
791 posts
Gallery: 24 photos
Joined Oct 2014

Sep 09, 2016 06:26 |  #1554

sploo wrote in post #18121947 (external link)
In anticipation of mine turning up today I've installed DPP for the first time. Ugh. Yeah. It's pretty grotty isn't it.

I've had a play with a couple of sample raw files (exported to Photoshop as TIFF) and the ability to push is really impressive (yeah, yeah, welcome to 2012 Canon... I know).

The only thing I've noticed is that extreme shadow pushes + pulling down highlights are tending to leave a fairly thick black line around objects. I've noticed this on a couple of different files. Maybe it's normal Camera RAW behaviour, and it's just that I wouldn't try that with a 5D3 file. Maybe the decoding of the 5D4 raws is still not quite sorted.

I suspect you're right, although I'd expect DPP to be up to the task. If you have the time would you mind posting an example?

Talley
Talley Whacker
10,619 posts
Gallery: 40 photos
Joined Dec 2011

Sep 09, 2016 06:42 |  #1555

So far this morning has been good.

Soon as it's available for pickup I'm ditching work the rest of the day :)

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

My entire hobby of gear lust has temporarily been shifted into overload. Please be patient while my mind tries to get back onto the road to recovery. We do apologize for any inconvenience this may cause....
My Gear Archive

delta0014
308 posts
Gallery: 9 photos
Joined Oct 2013

Sep 09, 2016 06:59 |  #1556

Any guesstimates on when Adobe will have an update so we can use lightroom/photoshop with the 5d4?

5D Mark IV
24-70L f2.8 ii / 85L ii / 135L / Rokinon 14mm f2.8
Yongnuo 600RT x 3
Just a hobby - CC always welcome.
Flickr (external link)

HelenOster
That's me!
4,428 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Sep 09, 2016 06:59 |  #1557

PJJ205 wrote in post #18121465 (external link)
Has anyone heard of Adorama shipping any? I really want to stick with them, but I don't want to sit around forever waiting to get an e-mail saying that it shipped without having some sort of time frame to know when mine will ship out. There are at least 5 Best Buys near me with around 3 in stock at each of them... Really tempted to cancel my Adorama order and hit up a Best Buy so I can have it for a job on Saturday and/or Sunday. Only thing stopping me from cancelling is the fact that Helen Oster bends over backwards with her customer service so I want to give her store my business. Decisions, decisions... I guess I'll decide in the morning.

Yes, we certainly have! What was your order number?

Adorama Camera Customer Service Ambassador
Helen@adorama.com
http://twitter.com/Hel​enOster (external link)
http://www.flickr.com/​people/22264746@N07/ (external link)

Talley
Talley Whacker
10,619 posts
Joined Dec 2011

Sep 09, 2016 07:01 |  #1558

delta0014 wrote in post #18122020 (external link)
Any guesstimates on when Adobe will have an update so we can use lightroom/photoshop with the 5d4?

Shoot now.... edit later ;)

My entire hobby of gear lust has temporarily been shifted into overload. Please be patient while my mind tries to get back onto the road to recovery. We do apologize for any inconvenience this may cause....
My Gear Archive

Talley
Talley Whacker
10,619 posts
Joined Dec 2011

Sep 09, 2016 07:03 |  #1559

So the buffer on the SD is around the 19-20 mark and the CF is around the 22-23 mark when shooting at ISO 100 according to that guys test. This is a good thing for those that want to shoot RAW to both slots like me. This also means RAW to CF and JPG to SD won't have any slow down anymore like the 5D3 did.

My Gear Archive

Talley
Talley Whacker
10,619 posts
Joined Dec 2011

Sep 09, 2016 07:20 |  #1560

And even more updates :)

I may be leaving really early from work lol

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

My Gear Archive

sponsored links

677,641 views & 2,655 likes for this thread
Canon 5D Mark IV -- Time to Discuss!
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.