Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Critique Corner 
Thread started 01 Sep 2016 (Thursday) 02:05
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Radio Habana Social Club

Qbx
Goldmember
3,908 posts
Gallery: 45 photos
Joined Dec 2010

Sep 01, 2016 02:05 |  #1

Interesting club in San Francisco. The day was overcast so I pumped up clarity, contrast and vibrance to compensate. Which is better B&W or Color ... or neither?

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

HOSTED PHOTO

-- Image Editing OK --

sponsored links
Ramon-uk
634 posts
Gallery: 43 photos
Joined Mar 2006

Sep 01, 2016 09:27 |  #2

I prefer the coloured one, although I think there's a bit too much blue. I doubt that the paving stones were that blue.

If it were mine I would have to fix the distortion, the kerb looks level but the rest of it looks as though it's dropping on the right hand side.

I do like that crutch with the ice skate, my kind of sense of humour.

sued5320
548 posts
Gallery: 6 photos
Joined Mar 2009

Sep 01, 2016 09:43 |  #3

I like the color one better. Is this on a hill and the street/curb should slope down to the left? The awning and parking meter looked to be skewed about the same. Should those be level and the curb slanted?

Sue MyFlickr (external link)
EOS 450 XSi * 50 1.8 * 70-200 2.8L IS II * Tamron 17-50 2.8 * 85 1.8 *EF-S 10-22

Nothing happens when you sit at home. I always make it a point to carry a camera with me at all times....I just shoot at what interests me at that moment. Elliott Erwitt

Qbx
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
3,908 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Sep 01, 2016 10:37 |  #4

Ramon-uk wrote in post #18113526 (external link)
I prefer the coloured one, although I think there's a bit too much blue. I doubt that the paving stones were that blue.

If it were mine I would have to fix the distortion, the kerb looks level but the rest of it looks as though it's dropping on the right hand side.

I do like that crutch with the ice skate, my kind of sense of humour.

Thanks Ramon. You're right about the blue and the level. There is a blue X painted or chalked at the parking meter. I warmed the image up a bit.

sued5320 wrote in post #18113546 (external link)
I like the color one better. Is this on a hill and the street/curb should slope down to the left? The awning and parking meter looked to be skewed about the same. Should those be level and the curb slanted?

Thanks Sued. You are correct. In editing, I made the curb level; but the street does in fact slope down to the left. I revised it to make the awning level.

HOSTED PHOTO

-- Image Editing OK --

sued5320
548 posts
Gallery: 6 photos
Joined Mar 2009

Sep 01, 2016 10:52 |  #5

Much better. I really like this image. It definitely captures attention for a while. I keep looking around at all that funky stuff thinking "oh wait, I missed that before...what is that?". Definitely not something you just glance at and move on.

Sue MyFlickr (external link)
EOS 450 XSi * 50 1.8 * 70-200 2.8L IS II * Tamron 17-50 2.8 * 85 1.8 *EF-S 10-22

Nothing happens when you sit at home. I always make it a point to carry a camera with me at all times....I just shoot at what interests me at that moment. Elliott Erwitt

Qbx
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
3,908 posts
Joined Dec 2010
Post edited over 2 years ago by Qbx.

Sep 01, 2016 11:23 |  #6

Someday I hope to swing by when it's open and go in to see if the inside is as funky as the outside. I'll bet it'll be a hoot!
EDIT: After the warming, I think it needs some selective darkening. So I darkened the awning, sidewalk, and several bright areas.

HOSTED PHOTO

-- Image Editing OK --

BigAl007
Cream of the Crop
7,964 posts
Gallery: 542 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2010

Sep 10, 2016 12:50 |  #7

It still looks a bit off rotation wise (I was going to say level, but thought that might be confusing). Personally I would make sure the rotation was correct using the vertical lines in the door and window frames. I think you might have a little bit of keystoning going on too. I usually try to set the picture level using vertical alignments, rather than horizontal, you are then less likely to be caught out by the occasional perspective differences in horizontal lines.

Alan

My Flickr (external link)
My new Aviation images blog site (external link)

OhLook
Spiderwoman
17,977 posts
Gallery: 72 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Dec 2012

Sep 10, 2016 13:00 |  #8

The color version still seems too light overall and the sidewalk too blue, and I would crop the left edge to just barely exclude the orange wall.

PRONOUN ADVISORY: OhLook is a she. | A FEW CORRECT SPELLINGS: lens, aperture, amateur, hobbyist, per se, raccoon, whoa, more so (2 wds.), shoo-in | IMAGE EDITING OK

Qbx
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
3,908 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Sep 11, 2016 08:21 |  #9

BigAl007 wrote in post #18123414 (external link)
It still looks a bit off rotation wise (I was going to say level, but thought that might be confusing). Personally I would make sure the rotation was correct using the vertical lines in the door and window frames. I think you might have a little bit of keystoning going on too. I usually try to set the picture level using vertical alignments, rather than horizontal, you are then less likely to be caught out by the occasional perspective differences in horizontal lines.

Alan

Thanks Alan. I revised the rotation as you suggested. I used the left side of the building as the vertical. Then cropped it tight on the left. I'm not seeing the keystoning though.

OhLook wrote in post #18123425 (external link)
The color version still seems too light overall and the sidewalk too blue, and I would crop the left edge to just barely exclude the orange wall.

Thanks OL. I warmed and darkened the lower 2/3, and cropped as you suggested. I think it looks better.

HOSTED PHOTO

-- Image Editing OK --

rrblint
Listen! .... do you smell something?
22,235 posts
Gallery: 38 photos
Joined May 2012

Sep 11, 2016 11:33 |  #10

Now it's too tight on the walker. Use your clone tool to extend the left side.

Mark

OhLook
Spiderwoman
17,977 posts
Joined Dec 2012

Sep 11, 2016 12:51 |  #11

rrblint wrote in post #18124259 (external link)

Then the storefront will be farther from centered. That'd disturb me more than the lack of space next to the walker. The expanse of blue wall is already more prominent on the left than on the right because more of the right side is covered with prints and whatever.

PRONOUN ADVISORY: OhLook is a she. | A FEW CORRECT SPELLINGS: lens, aperture, amateur, hobbyist, per se, raccoon, whoa, more so (2 wds.), shoo-in | IMAGE EDITING OK

rrblint
22,235 posts
Joined May 2012

Sep 11, 2016 13:26 |  #12

OhLook wrote in post #18124310 (external link)
Then the storefront will be farther from centered. That'd disturb me more than the lack of space next to the walker. The expanse of blue wall is already more prominent on the left than on the right because more of the right side is covered with prints and whatever.

Not necessarily so. Here's what I had in mind(I will remove if OP objects).I also removed the keystoning, I find it quite pleasing.

HOSTED PHOTO

Mark

OhLook
Spiderwoman
17,977 posts
Joined Dec 2012

Sep 11, 2016 16:13 as a reply to  @ rrblint's post |  #13

Mark, agreed. You added only about 4 mm of width (on my screen). Restoring the original size would have meant an addition of twice that.

Qbx
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
3,908 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Sep 12, 2016 02:50 |  #14

I hope we're not beating a dead horse here; but I want to incorporate all of the excellent ideas. I had originally cropped out the curb to try for level (which didn't work out so well). So I put the curb back in to give context to the dark rectangle as being a missing paving stone. Then I used Transform tools to stretch the corners to eliminate keystoning and get a level look. I think it is better. Thank you all for great critiques.

rrblint wrote in post #18124259 (external link)

Good idea.

OhLook wrote in post #18124310 (external link)

Quite right - thanks. I decided to expand the right side similar to the left.

rrblint wrote in post #18124366 (external link)
Not necessarily so. Here's what I had in mind(I will remove if OP objects).I also removed the keystoning, I find it quite pleasing.

Image editing is always OK with me.
I agree, it is pleasing. Hopefully I got the same look in this edit.

HOSTED PHOTO

-- Image Editing OK --

rrblint
22,235 posts
Joined May 2012

Sep 12, 2016 07:50 as a reply to  @ Qbx's post |  #15

Now that's got it. Excellent photo!

Mark

sponsored links

4,963 views & 3 likes for this thread
Radio Habana Social Club
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Critique Corner 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.