Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon G-series Digital Cameras 
Thread started 11 Sep 2016 (Sunday) 03:44
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

What G and Why

WA ­ Tiger
656 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Mar 2010

Sep 11, 2016 03:44 |  #1

Out of all the G series what one would you own and why? What is the flagship G? What can do action, landscape and portrait shots all in one or at least close?

sponsored links
Judder ­ Man
759 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Oct 2007

Sep 11, 2016 06:49 |  #2

WA Tiger wrote in post #18123971 (external link)
Out of all the G series what one would you own and why? What is the flagship G? What can do action, landscape and portrait shots all in one or at least close?

I don't think any of the G's will do "real" action shots, for me the G9, G12 and G1x have been classics, but that just my opinion.

Canon 5D mk3, 50mm 1.4, 17-40L, 70-200L, 100-400L, Canon 100L macro, Canon 2 x G1X, Speedliite 430 EX all supported by Gitzo and Benro.
Web sites: www.georgehopkinsphoto​graphy.com (external link)

An Image in Time is a Stepping Stone to Eternity

Pictoraider
191 posts
Joined May 2016
Post edited over 3 years ago by Pictoraider.

Sep 11, 2016 12:52 |  #3

Judder Man wrote in post #18124033 (external link)
I don't think any of the G's will do "real" action shots, for me the G9, G12 and G1x have been classics, but that just my opinion.

+1.
If you shoot in full resolution RAW format with G1-X Mark II P&S, you can enregister at most about 4 frames in 1-2 seconds.
So far, you will not obtain what you easily carry out with a DSLR camera such as an EOS 7D Mark II and 10 frames/sec.

If you want to grab street action shots at dawn or at night with very few available light, a G1-X Mark II allows you to have some.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

"Constructive criticism always appreciated."

Pictoraider
191 posts
Joined May 2016

Sep 11, 2016 12:58 |  #4

If you want to make portrait, you will need a RAW format GX model with Mode M and hot-shoe.

"Constructive criticism always appreciated."

teekay
Goldmember
3,037 posts
Joined Apr 2001

Sep 11, 2016 18:52 |  #5

Judder Man wrote in post #18124033 (external link)
I don't think any of the G's will do "real" action shots...

Depends what you mean by "real" action shots? Professional sports? High burst rate? Really long "L" quality lens? My G15 can't do those, but I find the ability to set 1/4000 and f/1.8 is good enough for quite a bit of "action".

WA ­ Tiger
THREAD ­ STARTER
656 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Sep 12, 2016 03:45 |  #6

Cheers all. Well "real action shots", I actually mean like sports, maybe dogs running, cars etc... that's sort of stuff. I am looking at theG3X and the G16.

Judder ­ Man
759 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Oct 2007
Post edited over 3 years ago by Judder Man. (4 edits in all)

Sep 12, 2016 04:46 |  #7

WA Tiger wrote in post #18125110 (external link)
Cheers all. Well "real action shots", I actually mean like sports, maybe dogs running, cars etc... that's sort of stuff. I am looking at theG3X and the G16.

I think it would be fairly accurate to say that Canon is falling a bit behind the other manufacturers on compacts auto focus speeds but some of it can be negated with good technique. From what I can remember the Fuji XQ2 and the Sony a6300 are probably the quickest on the market.
You should be OK with Canon using panning technique, but for example black dog running towards you with a dark background will probably "hunt" and combined with shutter lag + focus detection speed will be a bit hit or miss. A rally car or subject with contrast across the frame with panning should be OK if you set up a fast burst rate shoot.

For other stuff like portraits and landscapes there isn't a great amount of difference in IQ with the latest G's, usually a fast lens with a big sensor will give you the better depth of field control with improved Bokeh.

Sample: F5 @ 1/2000 sec bikes probably 20 to 25 mph. (Canon G1x)

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

Canon 5D mk3, 50mm 1.4, 17-40L, 70-200L, 100-400L, Canon 100L macro, Canon 2 x G1X, Speedliite 430 EX all supported by Gitzo and Benro.
Web sites: www.georgehopkinsphoto​graphy.com (external link)

An Image in Time is a Stepping Stone to Eternity

WA ­ Tiger
THREAD ­ STARTER
656 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Sep 12, 2016 05:05 |  #8

Thanks JM, great shot too.

sponsored links

2,507 views & 1 like for this thread
What G and Why
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon G-series Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.