Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS News & Rumors Camera Rumors and Predictions 
Thread started 08 Sep 2016 (Thursday) 23:03
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

The EOS M5 finally? maybe? possibly?

MedicineMan4040
THREAD ­ STARTER
The Magic Johnson of Cameras
21,724 posts
Gallery: 1956 photos
Best ofs: 7
Joined Jul 2013

Sep 11, 2016 19:03 |  #16

dtufino wrote in post #18124150 (external link)
I've had the fuji xt1, the Olympus OMD em1, the Sony a7II... and out of all those mirrorless cameras, i really enjoyed the images off the OMD.... LIKE REALLY... the handling and everything was just perfect. Fuji lacks something int he image dept for "ME".....not saying their images suck.. just saying for me they didn't work... but their lenses are splendid.... Sony lack of lenses and lenses that are WAY over priced is ridiculous.... I'm knee deep in Canon lenses...

If the autofuc on the EOS M5 is super fast and snappy liek the Sony a6500 (or whatever) and with the M to EFS adapter works just as fast, then we clearly have a winner! Patiently waiting!

I'm with you 100 percent, knee deep too, and your IF is what I'm hoping for. It just has to be....looking at how good Sony is via Metabones (after a million updates) surely the lack of (or much lesser) Canon adatper language woes body to lens will permit the fast AF we want.
I also dont care about 4K, leave it out, keep the price down.
Now I need to look to see if M lenses are stabilized?
There are two just out of reach while I'm typing......

flickr (external link)
Vid Collection: https://www.youtube.co​m/user/medicineman4040 (external link)

sponsored links
marcial4
Goldmember
1,370 posts
Gallery: 39 photos
Joined Jan 2011

Sep 11, 2016 19:09 as a reply to  @ MedicineMan4040's post |  #17

Only the 22mm is the non-IS lens for EF-M mount

Marcial "Marshall" Quintero
EOS R | EF16-35/4L | EF100L Macro | EF70-300L

A Venezuelan living in Santiago de Chile

Instagram (external link) flickr (external link)

dtufino
Goldmember
4,040 posts
Joined Apr 2006

Sep 11, 2016 19:18 |  #18

I prefer primes that 22mm is nice..... but i want a 50mm and an 85mm..... i dont care much for anything wider than 22.... but that's just me

-David T.
www.dtufinophoto.com (external link)

@dtufino_photo (external link)
flickr (external link)

Canonuser123
925 posts
Gallery: 42 photos
Joined Dec 2014
Post edited over 4 years ago by Canonuser123.

Sep 11, 2016 21:38 |  #19

PineBomb wrote in post #18123742 (external link)
To be fair to Canon, it's difficult to seriously play in the mirrorless market when success there necessarily means cannibalizing some sales in your DSLR line. But it looks like they're finally doing it. It's going to be interesting to watch. Nevertheless, I'm not patient enough for the lens rollout. Fuji has what I want now.

If they do it right they will be taking sales away from Sony and others in large numbers also.

I like to have a smaller camera with me at all times, currently I use a Sony α6000, I would rather have a nice Canon mirrorless that works well with all my Canon lenses, my M3 is not up to the task for anything that moves faster than a crawl.

MedicineMan4040
THREAD ­ STARTER
21,724 posts
Joined Jul 2013

Sep 11, 2016 23:21 |  #20

dtufino wrote in post #18124710 (external link)
I prefer primes that 22mm is nice..... but i want a 50mm and an 85mm..... i dont care much for anything wider than 22.... but that's just me

For me that 22/2 (we have that one and it really is nice) is really 33mm effective. When I'm toting a DSLR in hand and the M5 is in the pack I'd want it to wear something as wide as possible like 12mm.
I think the Rokinon 12/2 in M would be perfect. It's a great lens too, got it in mFT and e-mount.
That would give me triple duty=landscape/wide field astro/backup for the main body :)
Call me a dreamer!

flickr (external link)

MedicineMan4040
THREAD ­ STARTER
21,724 posts
Joined Jul 2013

Sep 11, 2016 23:23 |  #21

Canonuser123 wrote in post #18124866 (external link)
If they do it right they will be taking sales away from Sony and others in large numbers also.

I like to have a smaller camera with me at all times, currently I use a Sony α6000, I would rather have a nice Canon mirrorless that works well with all my Canon lenses, my M3 is not up to the task for anything that moves faster than a crawl.

CU I bet there are many of us Canon owners and Sony users who feel the same way.
Now when is the official announcement?

flickr (external link)

Talley
Talley Whacker
11,091 posts
Gallery: 46 photos
Joined Dec 2011

Sep 12, 2016 00:56 |  #22

Canon doesn't want to take dslr sales away... They want everyone who owns a dslr to also own the M5 and if it's priced at 800 then that is exactly what they will get!!!

A7rIII | A7III | 12-24 F4 | 16-35 GM | 28-75 2.8 | 100-400 GM | 12mm 2.8 Fisheye | 35mm 2.8 | 85mm 1.8 | 35A | 85A | 200mm L F2 IS | MC-11
My Gear Archive

DreDaze
happy with myself for not saying anything stupid
18,380 posts
Gallery: 49 photos
Joined Mar 2006

Sep 12, 2016 01:47 |  #23

looking at the specs...i really don't see any reason to be excited...24mp dual pixel...7fps...in body IS, but as mentioned only one native lens doesn't have IS...and all that for $900? the M lineup is still a big failure in my ind...they don't have nearly enough lenses for it to act as a system on it's own...and it's too expensive...what advantages is it really going to offer over a small rebel?

at the end of the day, i like that it's a failure because it means i can get things cheap...but who here would really think about paying $900 for those features, when you can grab an m2 for $200

Andre or Dre
gear list
Instagram (external link)
flickr (external link)

MedicineMan4040
THREAD ­ STARTER
21,724 posts
Joined Jul 2013

Sep 12, 2016 04:08 as a reply to  @ DreDaze's post |  #24

Dre, in many ways it might be a failure out of the box compared to what you get in Sony or Lumix for maybe equal money (a6300) or way less (something like Lumx G7).
But for me there is the gamble that it can AF/AF-track with EF lenses.

I think stabilization is only for video and it's digital.

Come on Dre, get one 'cause it's cute, it's Canon, and Canon's first 'real' stab at mirrorless :) If we buy it more M lenses
will follow.

flickr (external link)

DreDaze
18,380 posts
Joined Mar 2006
Post edited over 4 years ago by DreDaze.

Sep 12, 2016 09:34 as a reply to  @ MedicineMan4040's post |  #25

Ive got the original m, and only the 12/2, 22/2 for it...i wish he macro lens they came out with was a tad longer so i could just have 3 lenses for it in case i want something around 50mm

Andre or Dre
gear list
flickr (external link)

dtufino
Goldmember
4,040 posts
Joined Apr 2006

Sep 13, 2016 07:25 |  #26

I love it how people complain about 4K........ about 90% of us don't need 4K video.... 1080P is perfect for internet, youtube, vimeo.... the 4K craze will eventually go the waist side like the 3D TV's did a few years ago... remember everyone was all over 3D? LOL

Now, i know canon doesn't want to kill their Dslr market, but they are aware that the mirrorless market is a huge market and they just need a decent camera to propel them into the lead of this market. Again, if the Adapter to use the EFS lenses works extremely fast on the camera, i'm willing to bet alot of people get this camera just for that.....

-David T.

flickr (external link)

WA ­ Tiger
682 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Mar 2010

Sep 13, 2016 10:46 |  #27

Canon EOS M5 Coming in Two Kits, Including New Lens

By Canon Rumors | September 8, 2016 | Canon DSLR Rumors

Other sites are starting to confirm what we have previously posted about the upcoming EOS M5.

Below are the EOS M5 related announcements as confirmed by Nokishita
EOS M5 body
EOS M5 15-45mm kit
EOS M5 18-150mm kit
EH29-CJ (Black Brown) Leather Case
EM-E2 (Black) Neck Strap

We expect to see the EOS M5 announced next week ahead of Photokina.

Read more: http://www.canonrumors​.com#ixzz4K9RCpXV7 (external link)

MedicineMan4040
THREAD ­ STARTER
21,724 posts
Joined Jul 2013

Sep 14, 2016 02:04 |  #28

dtufino wrote in post #18126403 (external link)
I love it how people complain about 4K........ about 90% of us don't need 4K video.... 1080P is perfect for internet, youtube, vimeo.... the 4K craze will eventually go the waist side like the 3D TV's did a few years ago... remember everyone was all over 3D? LOL

Now, i know canon doesn't want to kill their Dslr market, but they are aware that the mirrorless market is a huge market and they just need a decent camera to propel them into the lead of this market. Again, if the Adapter to use the EFS lenses works extremely fast on the camera, i'm willing to bet alot of people get this camera just for that.....

So am I wrong hoping for EF lenses via the adapter on the M5 ??
The adapter says EF-S and EF.....am I mistaken?

I have DSLRs and have added two more in the last 6 months but I see mirrorless as the future. Mirrorless is on the verge, so very very close now (a6300) to AF tracking=seen it with my own eyes...Thinking of the A7Rii there is nothing landscape wise I cannot do with it I need a heavier Canon for and the bleeding of Canon bodies to those adapting EF lenses to Sony continues to grow. Canon either reacts to this or is found in a tar pit a thousand years from now eh?

Agreed on 4K. We have several cameras 4K capable and in total betweenxt them all at most 1hour of 4K shot.

flickr (external link)

dtufino
Goldmember
4,040 posts
Joined Apr 2006

Sep 14, 2016 07:49 as a reply to  @ MedicineMan4040's post |  #29

When i said EFS i means EF, i don't own any EFs lenses except for the 40mm lens.... i love that little thing.

-David T.

flickr (external link)

DreDaze
18,380 posts
Joined Mar 2006

Sep 14, 2016 09:42 |  #30

I feel like using adapters on these smaller cameras defeats the whole purpose of using a smaller camera...i think canons main problem is a lack of native lenses for the m line

Andre or Dre
gear list
flickr (external link)

sponsored links

12,869 views & 11 likes for this thread
The EOS M5 finally? maybe? possibly?
FORUMS News & Rumors Camera Rumors and Predictions 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.